» Turn 10-1068
Yesterday at 12:32 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pointless Romace

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Pointless Romace on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:11 pm

I like the new "Flash" show. I enjoy the characters, the villains are cool and some of the drama is well done like the Firestorm arc. However I'm really tired of the whole romantic tension between Barry and Iris. Yes it was fun the first few episodes but it's getting old. I mean, everytime I see it I'm like "can you two just move on already Mad ."

And in the "Gregory Horror Show"(A horror anime I recommend, even if you're not into horror) the fourth season has a new character who's slowly going insane because of Gregory, Catherine and the other guests but instead focuses on Catherine's search for romance. Catherine! Looking for a man!? She's a bisexual serial rapist with a blood fetish! Why give up the torture the series has always done and focus on some stupid search for love. Even if there's some good horrific comedy.

And don't get me started on "Heavy Rain"'s Madison Paige. Not only is she one of the most pointless characters ever but the romance is so horrible. It's just "Don't worry stranger. I'll get sexually assaulted several times to help you because I think you're sexy. Now lets have sex." No This is a terrible romance.

Any romance you have a problem with, leave you thoughts.

View user profile

2 Re: Pointless Romace on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:00 pm

First I would like to say that this may be the first time ever the sentence "She is a bisexual serial rapist with a blood fetish!" has ever been written down in human history.

Now I can't speak on romance in everyday regular TV Shows what I can speak on is romance shows in Anime and Manga, and what I have found is that the Japanese have a strange relationship with the idea of a relationships (I'm sure it has nothing to do with there horrifically declining birth rate.)

When it comes to writing romance story's they could really take some lessons from (and I say this while wanting to bite my own tongue) the American romance novel "writing" community (I would like to note I put quotes around writing when it comes to romance novels as if you have ever looked into writing a good romance novel you will quickly discover there is oh most a formula to writing a satisfying story about romance.)

So for a brief over view what makes a romance story "good" (again I use quotations here as this is good if you like the way the formula of writing romance novels is layed out.) To make a long story short it basically comes down to that two people have flaws and the other person gives them something to fix those flaws, and then at the end they end up together as a sort of perfect fit.

Example Rick is a kleptomaniac and Rachael is a depressed business woman she would show Rick that sometimes you cant steal and need to work for what you want and Rick would show her that life has more to it then just business meetings.

The Japanese in my experience are very good at having broken characters they are not so good at fixing the characters most of the time the shows seem to get stuck unable to progress (mostly because they refuse to let the two main characters have any form of physical intimacy in fear of turning off fans because there preferred relationships have finally been show to never happen.)

Another problem with anime specifically and mostly romance anime's is the fact that they are commonly adaptations of Visual Novels and I have always held fast to the belief that while you can make a book\movie\show into a good game its 100x's more difficult to make a game's story directly into a book\show\movie as with books\shows\movies to games you are adding more that what you are taking away normaly but with games you are removing the thing that is needed most to make it fun that being game play.

But worst still with Visual novel adaptations is the fact that visual novels are all about choice of who you end up with but in order to please everyone for a show they end up trying to do all the paths and just end up with like five lack luster not fully developed stereotypes with faces rather than actual characters.

View user profile

3 Re: Pointless Romace on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:55 pm

Anyone here ever seen the anime Gundam Wing? I'll just say Relena says Heero's name so much you can make a drinking game out of it. I'm not so much against the relationship as I am the obsession on her part.

I can't think of any other at the moment, but pretty much never was a fan of when two protagonists hook up together at the end then their friends just randomly hook up as well just for sake of a happy ending and no one is left it. Pretty pointless though.

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

4 Re: Pointless Romace on Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:28 pm

i didn't like the rob stark romance as portrayed in the tv series. Haven't reached in in the books yet. Feel so far like it was just a ploy to reach a certain outcome and it did its job and steered the character and story in the direction it needed to go I guess. The romance I thought was just unlikely, even with a man so young. Marrying without gaining advantage just doesn't make sense to nobles and he was raised to honour his responsibilities for his people imo. i guess it was portrayed well, but just unlikely.

You could also make a drinking game with the bleach anime when you hear "Kurosaki-kun". You'd be in trouble some episodes.

View user profile

5 Re: Pointless Romace on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 am

I really do not like the Steve Cortez romance option in Mass Effect 3, and it's not because I'm straight and it's a gay romance. The whole thing just really creeps me out. I mean, here you have a guy where one of the first things you see in your encounters with him is him crying over a message from his dead husband. Then he does his thing at the memorial wall, and it's pretty much "let's hop in bed" right after that. Makes Shepard look like a creeper to me.

View user profile

6 Re: Pointless Romace on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:45 am

Have you seen the video "take your place in the Steve" by Chapmon? I can't link, but it's pretty damn funny.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum