Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Today at 2:10 pm by ZeroCool

» Turn 1-1068
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 pm by wolfking2k

» Turn 12-1067
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm by Spartanmario

» Player Houses
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Koth Meeting
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 am by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Chelsey Wright: hiring a lawyer
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Tyranny Coupon 50%
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm by TheUltimateParadoxs

» Warlords II: Turn Four - Departure of a Hero
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Greedfall, new game by Spiders: teaser trailer
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:16 am by RorytheRomulan

You are not connected. Please login or register

Babylon 5: The Gathering with SPOILERS

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Babylon 5: The Gathering with SPOILERS on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 pm

So, Babylon 5 Ruminations!! bounce Very Happy (insert many more emoticons of exuberant joy here)

I'm not sure where to put this, but it was suggested spoilery stuff on this sub-forum, so here it is. I also lack a youtube account, and the desire to create one (and I'll probably just be posting spoilers anyway).

Second, a SPOILERY LINK (seriously, don't go there unless you've watched B5 at least once, or more if you want to attempt finding out things for yourself):

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/ (specifically the links within http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/eplist.html ) have "jms speaks" sections, which are taken from the old GEnie forums (GEnie has been offline since 30 December 1999) where Babylon 5 discussion orginally existed. Each episode has it's own "jms speaks" section with quotes or discussion from JMS about that episode. I hope it'll be useful for the ruminations (wrt lack of behind the scenes info).

Finally, I'll put the real spoilers about the episode in a spoiler tag, you've been doubly warned about spoilers.
[edit: I reworked this section so it's only spoilers for The Gathering, except for a couple that have their own spoiler tags within this one]
SPOILERS for Babylon 5 The Gathering:
Just some comments (somewhat from memory) about some of the differences between the original pilot and the TNT special edition that weren't covered in the rumination.

When Sinclair is talking about the Battle Of The Line, there isn't additional audio in the original.
Mild SPOILER about which episode the audio comes from:
The audio was added from Season 1 Episode 8 "And the Sky Full of Stars", the title being a callback to Sinclair telling his girlfriend about The Line, "The sky was full of stars, and every star an exploding ship, one of ours."

The scene where Kosh greets "Sinclair" and is poisoned, "Entil'Zha Valen" was added for the special edition; it wasn't there in the original.

The special edition's music was composed by Christopher Franke, the man who did the music for the series. The original music was composed by Stewart Copeland, and is very different (not bad). Though, in my opinion, the special edition of Sinclair's The Line scene is much better with Franke's score, even excluding extra voice clips. The original music for that scene is very muted, it's mostly just O'Hare's good performance.

Some of the special edition's CG was reused from later seasons of Babylon 5. Kosh's ship exiting the jumpgate immediately springs to mind; the original was similar, but the hyperspace effect was less "polished" (like Delenn's head piece fitting better later on, or Londo's hair piece looking better later on).

When the original pilot was cut, the station itself was made more of a focus (more external shots); various character scenes were cut for time (the whole scene with Sinclair and the drug smuggler was one).

The scene, where Lyta and Sinclair cut through the Alien sector to get to her quarters in Red 5, is trimmed. Originally, they walk through, and show and tell about the different types of life forms (methane breathers, silicon lifeforms, insectoids). People complained that it was like a zoo, so it was changed in the series, and the scene and dialog were recut in the special edition pilot.

The opening was redone for the special edition to update it for what would happen in the rest of the series ("final commander" is gone, and Londo's voice/accent is better (cause the actor had 4 years to better grasp it).
You know, the, "I was there at the dawn of the Third Age of mankind. It began in the Earth year 2257, with the founding of the last of the Babylon stations, located deep in neutral space. It was a port of call for refugees, smugglers, businessmen, diplomats and travelers from a hundred worlds. It could be a dangerous place, but we accepted the risk because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace. Under the leadership of it's final commmander, Babylon 5 was a dream given form." (What? Yes I quoted that mostly from memory, I can't do all of Babylon 5 like that... stop looking at me like that! Razz )

The scene where Lt. Cmdr. Takashima and Doctor Ben Kyle are talking, over fresh coffee, about getting Lyta to scan Kosh so they can save him. The start of the scene, about her having a planter in the garden for coffee beans, was cut in the original pilot.
MODERATE SPOILER for a later episode:
It reminds me of a later episode in the series, when Cmdr. Ivanova talks with Lt. David Corwin about following the rules, over fresh coffee.

Last edited by lurker4701822 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total

View user profile

2 Re: Babylon 5: The Gathering with SPOILERS on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:41 am

Is this thread gonna be the general thread for B5 or just for the current running ruminations?
because Im almost through season 3 and AAAAH! SO MUCH HYPE!

SPOLERS ABOUT SPOILERY STUFF BZZBZZ IM AT SEASON 3 GOD SAVE YOURSELF:
So I just finished War Without End and HOH MAN all this convergence of timelines and events to come and passed, and like, VALEN, and like, LONDO'S PROPHESIED DEATH IS SO NOBLE AND JUST AHHHH JUST AHHHH. Also Arche is gonna have a LOT to talk about with martial law, and the nightwatch, and the Passing Through Gethsemane episode because Brad Dourif is gonna have us once again go on about the topic of justice and revenge and corporal punishment but this time its so grey theres no answers oh god this show is sucking me in so far, AND ALSO that Bester episode where hes working with bab5 crew and hes such a perfect smug bastard but now hes our "enemy mine" ally for now this is gonna be so interesting

View user profile

3 Re: Babylon 5: The Gathering with SPOILERS on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:32 am

ZedSlayer wrote:Is this thread gonna be the general thread for B5 or just for the current running ruminations?
because Im almost through season 3 and AAAAH! SO MUCH HYPE!
Very Happy The hype is contagious. As for this thread, I created it to post some (possibly) spoilery stuff regarding the pilot.

Since you're the first to post in the thread in two weeks, feel free to "hijack" it, though the title... well, it could fit a general "gathering" of B5 discussion (ruminations or otherwise) with spoilers, in concisely labeled (as much as possible) spoiler tags.

Oh, or I could change the title via the first post, but I kinda like the double meaning (assuming it turns into a general thread).

More spoilers, no farther than ZedSlayer's mid to late Season 3's spoilers:
re:Passing Through Gethsemane: or the earlier The Quality of Mercy which is where death of personality is introduced iirc.
Also, Walter Koenig as Bester; a likable smug bastard. Which reminds me of Matt Stoner. I think the actor did a good job making me not like him, but maybe too good. if I'm making sense. Anytime I hear Keith Szarabajka now, I can't help but hear/think of Matt Stoner, and it unfairly colors the other characters (I keep expecting them to become that kind of character).

View user profile

4 Re: Babylon 5: The Gathering with SPOILERS on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:14 am

I hope people can forgive the necroing threads related to B5. Any of the posters above still active on this site?

View user profile

5 Re: Babylon 5: The Gathering with SPOILERS on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Thaumatur wrote:I hope people can forgive the necroing threads related to B5. Any of the posters above still active on this site?
I poke my head in from time to time. I was surprised to see this thread back near the top.

View user profile

6 Re: Babylon 5: The Gathering with SPOILERS on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:43 am

lurker4701822 wrote:
Thaumatur wrote:I hope people can forgive the necroing threads related to B5. Any of the posters above still active on this site?
I poke my head in from time to time. I was surprised to see this thread back near the top.

A pleasent surprise I hope.

Recently I've been half tempted to post something blatently wrong about B5 to see If I got pick up on it Wink

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum