» Chelsey Wright: hiring a lawyer
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Tyranny Coupon 50%
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm by TheUltimateParadoxs

» Warlords II: Turn Four - Departure of a Hero
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Greedfall, new game by Spiders: teaser trailer
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:16 am by RorytheRomulan

» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:08 am by Luslanz

You are not connected. Please login or register

An end to a long struggle

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 An end to a long struggle on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:32 am

Most of you know that my father was admitted to the hospital on the 18th of December with pneumonia.

Hours after, his breathing difficulties increased and he was put on a respirator. His condition continued to deteriorate as his kidneys had been slowly failing weeks prior. His blood was so septic, that it was destroying him from the inside. Coupled with the Leukemia destroying his white blood cells and even platelets, the outcome looked grim.

He was in so much pain, and could no longer breathe on his own.

At 12:30 p.m. today, we made the decision to turn off the machines keeping my father alive. He already knew that his body would not heal. If we chose to keep him alive, he would have been unable to breathe or eat on his own, he would have been bedridden and in a nursing home for the short time before the Leukemia finally took him.

He understood this in the moments that he was lucid enough to look us directly in the eye. He had given the nursing staff signals that he no longer wanted to continue care. And we followed his wishes to have a peaceful death than to continue to linger on as a vegetable.

It has been a few hours since then, and he will soon leave us.

It may not have been the Christmas we wanted, but my dad has received the gift of release.

Dad passed away at 12:41 p.m. Central today, the 29th.

Last edited by Braigwen on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user profile

2 Re: An end to a long struggle on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:51 am

I'm so sorry, Braigwen. This year has been pretty rough on everyone, I think. So to you, your father, to Lemmy, this glass of whiskey is for you.

I'm glad he went peacefully, and that he was at the least lucid enough to say yes. I'd hug the snot out of you if I could. Think we both need it.

View user profile

3 Re: An end to a long struggle on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:01 am

agh. So sorry to hear, Braigwen. If you need to talk to someone who's been down this road, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message (lost my father to cancer a few years back).

View user profile

4 Re: An end to a long struggle on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:25 pm

I'm sorry, Braigwen.

I lost a close cousin in a similar manner, and that was literally my worst day. Best wishes to you and your family.

View user profile

5 Re: An end to a long struggle on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:46 pm

My dearest condolences, Braigwen. Just know that we're here for you and all of us will offer our support and well wishes to you and your family.

View user profile

6 Re: An end to a long struggle on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:21 pm

I don't even know what to say.... wow. That's a horrible situation. Hopefully things will get better in the new year. I wish there was more I could say, but I can't even imagine what you're going through right now.

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ZsvZWHyOVhATBhVKT-DWw

7 Re: An end to a long struggle on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm sorry for your loss Braigwen. Sad

View user profile

8 Re: An end to a long struggle on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:25 pm

You have my condolences, Braigwen. I would like to offer you more than that but that's not possible.

View user profile

9 Re: An end to a long struggle on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:50 am

You have my condolences. I hope you have a merry Christmas, the best you can.

View user profile

10 Re: An end to a long struggle on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:55 am

I'm sorry to hear that. At least you had the chance to say good bye with your father. I offer a ear and hugs.

View user profile

11 Re: An end to a long struggle on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:54 am

I'm sorry for you loss Braigwen.

View user profile

12 Re: An end to a long struggle on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:46 pm

I'd already offered my.. raw and shocked sympathies via the stream chat earlier, though I would again like to echo the sentiment that, even though it does little to assuage the emotional toll of those closest to him, your father was presented with the rare opportunity to face the end on his own terms, with the support and understanding of his family, being there with him every step of the way.

This is in no way meant to trivialize the impact of his passing, though perhaps it offers even the slightest relief in that he embraced it without fear. Regardless of the circumstances, that is no small feat; I can only hope to have that very courage myself, along with the peace of mind that those I love are with me when the time comes.

View user profile

13 Re: An end to a long struggle on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:22 pm

Our condolences.

(Probably don't mean much coming from names on a computer screen from half a planet away, but still...)

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum