Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Today at 1:22 pm by Luslanz

» Turn 1-1068
Yesterday at 7:07 pm by FreelanceZero

» Turn 2-1068
Yesterday at 12:52 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 12-1067
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm by Spartanmario

» Player Houses
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Koth Meeting
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 am by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Chelsey Wright: hiring a lawyer
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Tyranny Coupon 50%
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm by TheUltimateParadoxs

» Warlords II: Turn Four - Departure of a Hero
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rey's Origin - Star Wars Theory (Massive Spoilers)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SPOILERS FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS AHEAD!

Hey everybody!

So one of the biggest questions Star Wars fans have at the moment is what Rey's origin truly is. A popular opinion right now is that she's Luke's granddaughter or daughter. Others believe Ben Kenobi is her grandfather. However, I personally think it would be nice if she was a descendant of a Sith Lord, more specifically of Emperor Palpatine.

I watched The Force Awakens a second time with that thought in mind and documented all the evidence I could find supporting it. Now I'm not really sold myself at this point. Mind you, this is not me trying to prove a point. I'm just seeing what evidence there is for this neat idea. That being said, I was able to make a couple of interesting observations, and I'd like to share them with you. So here goes my big theory.

I. Force Potential

Like I said in the introduction, a lot of people expect Rey to be a relative of Luke Skywalker. The reasons are obvious. Her force potential is extraordinary and she starts out in a similar place compared to Luke. That being said, I don't believe the movies would keep her origins a secret for this long, if the answer was that simple. Perhaps more importantly though, the movies would suffer a bit too much from the "small universe problem" if Rey was indeed the descendant of the previous hero. After all, we already have Han Solo's son being a main character. If she's not a Skywalker, however, then why does she show such extreme natural talent when it comes to her use of the force?

It's unlikely that she's related to Snoke, since he doesn't even seem to be human. In order to find an answer, we need to look at the previous movies. The only two characters in the original saga that were able to rival the force potential of Vader and Luke (the two Skywalkers) are Yoda and the Emperor. Ben Kenobi is not portrayed to be quite as formidable as them, in my opinion. Yoda lifting the X-Wing from the swamp and the Emperor's lightning are probably the most impressive displays of the force in the original trilogy. Now obviously Rey can't be Yoda's little secret, so by process of elimination, we're left with Emperor Palpatine. There are more possibilities if we consider the prequel trilogy, arguably, but since the new saga contiously tries to separate itself from those movies (I won't get into why and just assume we are on the same page in this regard), I think we can rule out a connection to a prequel-only character.

II. Parallels to the Original Saga

The Force Awakens strikes many parallels to the original Star Wars trilogy, especially A New Hope. We have the pseudo Death Star, the X-Wing attack at the end, the desert planet and more. Considering this, I don't think it's far-fetched to believe the following movies will draw even more parallels. If Rey was a descendant of Palpatine, we'd have an analogy to Luke, who is the hero in the old movies, despite being the son of a Sith. There would also be the parallel of two diametrically opposed characters fighting each other: a hero of dark side origin (through lineage) versus a villain of light side origin. This is not much of a point, but still something I felt like pointing out. If there is one thing the new team behind Star Wars seems to take from Lucas' approach to the prequels, it is the whole poetry theme of the new movies rhyming with the old ones.

III. Symbolism

In terms of symbolism, I was not able to find too much in The Force Awakens. I will point out what I think is worth mentioning, though.

First of all, the very first scene in which we see Rey, she's inside a Star Destroyer, which is obviously a remnant of the Empire. On a similar note, we find out shortly afterwards that she lives in the wreck of an old AT-AT, which again might be a symbolic connection to the Empire and maybe Palpatine himself. Both the Star Destroyer and the AT-AT are such iconic vehicles, and the fact that we have both of them connected to Rey is not unlikely to mean something.

I was also able to find a couple of hints during the force vision. Immediately after our heroine touches Luke's former lightsaber, she finds herself in a very menacing environment. It appears to be a long dark hallway, that could exist inside a vessel of the Empire or the First Order. Her presence in such an environment could be indicative of her background. Something else that might be of importance is the very end of the vision. We see who we presume to be her parents or caretakers leaving her on Jakku while leaving the planet in a shuttle. As that shuttle flies towards the sun, we see the light of the sun turn into a dark red that very closely resembles the color of a Sith's lightsaber. This could be symbolism for her parents returning to the First Order or having some sort of connection to the dark side. What's definitely apparent, however, is that the vision is trying to suggest some sort of connection between Rey and Kylo Ren. The two of them are confronted with each other in more than just one shot during the vision, and more than just one place. That connection could just be their intertwined fates, but it could also be the dark side itself, with Kylo Ren having turned to it and Rey being born from it.

IV. Eye Color and Scene with Maz

In the previous two segments I was talking about evidence that might connect Rey to the former Empire, the First Order and the dark side of the force. In this one, I want to narrow it down to Palpatine himself again. I went through the trouble of finding an adequate picture of Ian McDiarmid in the prequel trilogy and found out that Rey's eye color resembles that of Palpatine rather closely. They both feature a greyish, pale color with a hint of gold. Because of its size, I'll put the comparison in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

I mentioned earlier that a connection to a prequel-only character is unlikely due to the new movie's effort to distinguish itself from that trilogy. However, Palpatine is in both sagas, obviously, and a picture from the original movies doesn't cut it, since at that point, Palpatine's eyes had already been transformed (presumably by force corruption). But if you compare Rey's eyes with Palpatine's natural iris color, you can definitely see a rather striking similarity. Some of the Sith Lord's genes might live on in Rey.

Now something interesting in relation to that picture is what Maz says in the scene at the bar: "If you live long enough, you see the same eyes in different people." This sentence is naturally directed towards Finn, not Rey. However it might be a hint on a meta level, giving credence to the similarity in eye color between Palpatine and Rey. But that's not all. In a scene just after the force vision, Maz again talks about eyes, and this time she's speaking directly to Rey: "I see your eyes. You already know the truth. Whomever you're waiting for in Jakku, they're never coming back." The obvious meaning here is that Maz notices Rey's doubt in the hope she had held onto all these years. But in addition to that, one might also say that the reason those people won't return to Jakku is because of who they are: affiliates of the First Order. In a more literal interpretation of the scene, Maz knows this because of Rey's eyes. Again: "If you live long enough, you see the same eyes in different people."

After that scene, our heroine chooses not to heed the prophet's call and instead flees into the woods. Now the question here is: What does she run from? At this point, the movie had already established her as willing to help, even in the face of great danger. So then why would the events of the vision scare her to this extent? I don't believe it's the terror she sees in it, but because it reminds her of who she is. She's not running from her obligation, she's running from her origin. That is why she's fleeing immediately after Maz talks to her about "whomever" she's waiting for. We find out in the vision that Rey was left at a young enough age where events of that past are likely to have become cloudy in her mind. That is why she needs the help of the force and Maz to remind her of the truth. And of course, absolutely fittingly, right after Rey flees, we get the most defining scene of the First Order the whole movie has to offer: the speech. A thematic match between successive scenes or just a coincidence?

V. Torture Scene with Kylo Ren

I'll end this theory with a short observation during the torture scene. It's really not much, but I still feel like pointing it out. When Kylo Ren begins searching Rey's mind, the first thing he notices is that she's lonely, but at the same time afraight to leave. Immediately following that he says: "You imagine an ocean. I see it. I see the island." In the frame of the plot, Kylo Ren is of course refering to the map Rey had seen and the island where Luke Skywalker is believed to hide. However, this quote also fits in suprisingly well with his previous observation of Rey's loneliness. A second meaning of it could be a graphic representation of Rey's state of mind. The sole island in the ocean might be indicative of her solitude and reclusion on Jakku. But like Kylo Ren says, she is afraight to leave her solitude, not because she's waiting for someone, but because part of her is afraight of what she might become. This is especially weighty, because the torture scene happens after the dialog with Maz, at a point where Rey had already remembered the truth, at least partially.

But that's pretty much it. I hope I was able to get my thoughts across. Tell me what you think about my theory and if you like the idea behind it. If you can add any more evidence, feel free to point it out, too! Again, I'm not saying that Rey is definitely Palpatine's granddaughter or niece or something, but I would love that, and I think I found some decent evidence in its support. The connection to Luke probably remains the most likely one at this point, though.

Last edited by ZGoten on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user profile
I like your theory it fits better then the one I thought up and posted in the other thread, I do have something although it may be nothing is some people have said Rey's staff is very similar to Plagueis' staff I haven't read the novel so I don't know myself and Snoke is not a muun so he can't be Plagueis but I have a feeling the staff and something to do with Plagueis will come up in ep8.

**edit sorry the updated cannon does not list Plagueis as a muun so it is possible Snoke is Plagueis.

View user profile
I approve of this theory! This is one of the best theories but I do have to say is that Abrhams didn't actually lay out a answer to a lot of questions to the next movie instead he gave it to the next writer. So a good screenwriter would take these hints and make the character something like that but a bad one would say "X is Y because Z sounds cool."

On another note it would explain Ray having a British accent while Imperials are noted for that. It explains it and hints at it...gooood gooooood.

View user profile
Oh yeah, the accent, I didn't even think about that. Good point!

View user profile
According to a friend who has seen the film multiple times, Maz Katana says to Rey (after the lightsaber visionquest): "This was your father's, and his father's before him." I missed that line so I can't make any claims to the validity of it, but if it is true then Rey's parentage is as clear as Kylo Solo's.

View user profile
Spirit of Memory wrote: On another note it would explain Ray having a British accent while Imperials are noted for that. It explains it and hints at it...gooood gooooood.

I remember thinking that the last time I saw the movie, but I forgot all about it. When Rey is being interrogated by Kylo, she seem to show some dark side there.

I don't buy the same eye color thing. I think it's just a coincidence because it's harder to find the right actor who also happens to have a specific eye color.

View user profile
SilverDragonRed wrote:According to a friend who has seen the film multiple times, Maz Katana says to Rey (after the lightsaber visionquest): "This was your father's, and his father's before him."  I missed that line so I can't make any claims to the validity of it, but if it is true then Rey's parentage is as clear as Kylo Solo's.

I'm pretty sure she says it was Luke's Lightsaber and his father's before him.

@Maz: They may not have planned her origin from the start, like Spirit of Memory said, but instead decide to go with it now that they have that connection.

View user profile
ZGoten wrote:
SilverDragonRed wrote:According to a friend who has seen the film multiple times, Maz Katana says to Rey (after the lightsaber visionquest): "This was your father's, and his father's before him."  I missed that line so I can't make any claims to the validity of it, but if it is true then Rey's parentage is as clear as Kylo Solo's.

I'm pretty sure she says it was Luke's Lightsaber and his father's before him.

@Maz: They may not have planned her origin from the start, like Spirit of Memory said, but instead decide to go with it now that they have that connection.

She also says "and now it belongs to you". When I first heard the line I assumed she meant Luke, but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

View user profile
I wouldn't put too much stock in the accents' meaning--almost *all* of the big evil characters in Star Wars speak with English accents (Palpatine, Tarkin, Dooku), and Palpatine was (presumably) from Naboo, which featured a wide range of accents that (excluding Palpatine) did not include English.

That said, I do like this theory, but I don't think it's very likely, if anything because TFA was going so strongly for OT parallels (and Luke being the daddy is the strongest parallel). It would also help justify his absence from TFA.

That said, Palpy being Rey'd daddy would be a *very* cool idea from a thematic standpoint. Even though TFA kind of craps all over it, the central them of the OT (sans ANH, for obvious reasons) was Anakin's redemption. The sinner redeemed, and all that. Rey being Palpy's son (in addition to being a very nice parallel with... what's-his-name being Vader's grandson) would provide another angle on that same theme--on the child inheriting the sins of the parent.

I would *love* to see that explored.

I don't think it's likely, mind you, but if it is (and it's not handled poorly) I'll be super-happy.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum