Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 pm by Spartanmario

» The Dregs of Korn
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:46 pm by SilverDragonRed

» September 30: Underale
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:50 pm by Frieza2000

» Turn 3-1068
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Wars: Special Editions (Changes I like)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Star Wars: Special Editions (Changes I like) on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:12 am

I dislike the Special Editions of the Star Wars Trilogy greatly. But for once I'll be positive about them. I do have to admit there are some changes that I do like or prefer. If you can watch Harmy's Despecialized Editions do it. It's the original theatrical cuts in beautiful HD with no colour filters.

1. The Digital Cleanup.
Minus the  degrading artificial blue colour filter the picture image looks sharp and clean, giving the films a new feel.

2. Victory Celebration.
Minus Naboo and Hayden Christensen (who I think is a good actor, just not in Star Wars), I enjoy the Victory Celebration at the end of Return of the Jedi. It's nice seeing the people of Tatooine, Bespin and Coruscant celebrating the defeat of the Imperial Fleet at the Battle of Endor and the Death of Emperor Palpatine.

I feel the new theme by John Williams fits better than Yub Nub did. In the original only had the celebration on Endor by the Ewoks, making sense for Yub Nub to be a song sung by Ewoks. In the Special Editions you visit many different locations, the new theme fits better with this addition. I do think that many of the VFX in these scenes look dated (I can tell they were done in 1996).

3. The Sarlacc's beak.
I like the addition of the beak. It makes the sarlacc seem more dangerous, creepy and menacing. It also makes you more concerned by falling into a beak than into a hole. I guess I'm also used to the beak due to it being featured as part of the sarlacc in EU material.

4. Cloud City Additions (minus the Cloud car flyover)
I like the additions of shots of the City being added into scenes and reactions of the crowds after the announcement of the empire taking over. It makes the city feel more like a city and makes you feel like people are living there and not just for one short scene after the announcement.

5. Stormtrooper Bump
Instead of removing the sound of the Stormtrooper bumping his head upon the Death Star they only made it louder. I find this funny as it brings more attention to the hilarity.

6. Rings around planetoid explosions.
These additions don't make sense. I just think they look cooler.

I have to think of more to include. But that's all I have for now.

View user profile
I agree with a lot of those especially the Endor celebration. The special editions don't bother me very much like it does for other people. I just have a problem with Lucas feeling the need to wipe the originals from existence, which is basically a crime against cinema history.

I liked that we got to see the Wompa and all the additions to the Battle of Yavin, especially the inclusion of Biggs.

View user profile
1. The Digital Cleanup.

Agreed. I always enjoy better quality

2. Victory Celebration.

Yub-Nub was removed. I hate that they removed it.

3. The Sarlacc's beak.

I did not prefer this change. I didn't hate it or anything just thought it was...meh.

4. Cloud City Additions (minus the Cloud car flyover)

They made could city much better overall. Agreed.

5. Stormtrooper Bump.

Agreed!!!

6. Rings around planetoid explosions.

Another meh for me but again... I am always for higher quality and better eye candy.

View user profile
I agree with all of these and to be honest other then the whole Song and Dance in 6, I actually like to watch the Special Editions rather then the original, hate on me if you like.

View user profile
ZeroCool wrote:I agree with all of these and to be honest other then the whole Song and Dance in 6, I actually like to watch the Special Editions rather then the original, hate on me if you like.

I do not like to hate.

Frankly when we watch them (which has gone on a lot over past 120 days) we always watch the new versions v0v

View user profile
I'd watch the theatrical ending of Return of the Jedi over the Special Edition, though I do prefer the Special Edition ending.

View user profile
DarkraiNewmoon wrote:I'd watch the theatrical ending of Return of the Jedi over the Special Edition, though I do prefer the Special Edition ending.

I will concur. However, Yub Nub was a CLASSIC!

Another thing I like about the latest changes (sans the fact he should never appear in 'A New Hope') is Jabba the Hutt.

Second thing I like is the space graphics and special effects updates. Many hate them. I love them. (ie the super destroyers being included when all we used to know was the old school star destroyer)

View user profile
The only change I agree with is the replacement of Yub Nub with the Victory Celebration track. It's a much more powerful song that really gets across the idea that an entire galaxy was just saved, not just Endor. It always gets to me whenever I rewatch the trilogy.

That's why I watch the Semi-Specialized V2.2VC Edition of Return of the Jedi and the Despecialized Editions of A New Hope and Empire.

Of course the digital clean-up is a good thing, but I don't want to sacrifice iconic scenes (such as Han shooting first or Sebastian Shaw appearing in ghost form) just so that the movies look slightly better.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum