Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:15 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Turn 7-1069
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:10 am by Crensler

» Bound by the Past
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 6-1069
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your favorite game that no one knows about?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Your favorite game that no one knows about? on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi guys! I've been playing one of my favorite games of all time recently, Gotcha Force, and its really a game that no one talks about or even knows it exists. Its a childhood game that clearly has a lot of issues that don't make it a great game, but it is still one of my favorites. It really made me think of all the games I don't know about that are simply amazing and I want you guys to tell me some of your favorite obscure games so I can play them!

PS sorry if this thread has been made already

View user profile
Ever heard of the Saturn games Albert Odyssey and Dragon Force? They are both Working Designs localisations so you get an emphasis on humor and playability.

Albert Odyssey: The Legend of Eldean is actually a gaiden game from the a JRPG line that never got released here in the States. I'd explain the story but you can watch the beginning of this Let's Play instead and see it for yourself. It has great music and the story is pretty enjoyable.

Dragon Force is a different beast altogether. It's a strategy RPG with light empire management. After a series of leaders are assassinated across the land of Legendra, the warrior Goldark overthrows his own brother and takes control of Fandaria, the military power of the west. He then declares war on EVERYBODY, setting off a massive war across the land. In the beginning, you choose from 6 of the 8 kingdoms, with the last two unlocking after you beat the game (1 of which is Fandaria!). Each kingdom starts the story from their own point of view, and starts with control of different unit types with their own strengths and weaknesses (For Example: Palemoon Kingdom is the kingdom of the elves so most of their commanders start with elven archers. They are weak against most types of soldiers but if you fight in a forest, they'll get massive bumps to their combat stats while most soldier types will get negatives).

View user profile
King's Quest III: To Heir Is Human

Yeah I am THAT old.

View user profile
The Ice Pick Lodge games Pathologic and The Void are cult favourites, but from the chat's reaction to my being them up, they aren't well known in this community

View user profile
The Earthsiege series. They're not really unknowns and were fairly popular, but I never see anyone talking about them.

View user profile http://thethirdgames.com
Dog66andes wrote:The Ice Pick Lodge games Pathologic and The Void are cult favourites, but from the chat's reaction to my being them up, they aren't well known in this community

I bought The Void a long time ago, still haven't gotten around to playing it. Haven't played Pathologic either (mostly due to the translation issues), but I did kickstart the Pathologic remake almost solely due to having read the three-part writeup on RPS from years back, which is a brilliant read and highly recommended to anyone who has never heard of the game. Can't wait for the remake.

View user profile
Diosjenin wrote:
Dog66andes wrote:The Ice Pick Lodge games Pathologic and The Void are cult favourites, but from the chat's reaction to my being them up, they aren't well known in this community

I bought The Void a long time ago, still haven't gotten around to playing it.  Haven't played Pathologic either (mostly due to the translation issues), but I did kickstart the Pathologic remake almost solely due to having read the three-part writeup on RPS from years back, which is a brilliant read and highly recommended to anyone who has never heard of the game.  Can't wait for the remake.

There's a remastered version of the original, released in advance of the remake, which fixed the translation issues, if you didn't know. Depending on what your kickstarter level was, you might have gotten a Steam code for it.

View user profile
Sengoku Rance is a comedic hentai game AND one of the most compelling strategy RPGs that I have ever played.

View user profile
Dog66andes wrote:There's a remastered version of the original, released in advance of the remake, which fixed the translation issues, if you didn't know. Depending on what your kickstarter level was, you might have gotten a Steam code for it.

I did; haven't installed it. Still haven't decided whether I should play that in advance of the remake, or keep myself away from any further spoilers. Thus far I've been leaning towards the latter.

View user profile

10 Re: Your favorite game that no one knows about? on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:15 am

I've been avoiding posting here as I feel the vast majority of games I've truly enjoyed, while varying wildly in public opinion, at least enjoy an appreciable audience, be they record-shattering blockbusters or merely cult classics with a healthy following, though if I can cheat a bit and go with something I just now stumbled upon.. indie developer Interdimensional Games' CONSORTIUM (2014). Not pretty to look at, most gamey aspects are rather basic and a singular playthrough is rather short, but the sheer weight of writing supported by a well-constructed narrative, skilled voice acting cast and tangible rewards for players who dig deep quickly warmed me to the game and likely will have me picking up the sequel slated for release later this month.

Evilknightz wrote:Sengoku Rance is a comedic hentai game AND one of the most compelling strategy RPGs that I have ever played.

I've heard many people cite the game with glee, though even for me I found it difficult to praise the game overly much having cringed through the wanton chauvinist exploits of the main character.. granted, I wasn't exactly expecting Shakespeare and I'm all for utterly irreverent humor, but the unceasing bombardment of it quickly eclipsed much of what I was able to enjoy initially.

That said, the actual game mechanics were surprisingly great, neverminding the fact it's an H-game.

View user profile
You basically either enjoy Rance as a character or you don't. I think he's hilarious, and all the humor works on someone who doesn't get offended or annoyed easily like me. I will say there's more to the bastard, he's definitely not a good person, but there's nuance if you go deeper into the stories of his games.

View user profile
Dragonball Z: Legend of the Super Saiyan for the SNES. It never came out in the west, but it was a pretty fun JRPG with a card-based battle system similar to Baten Kaitos.

View user profile
Illusion of Gaia.

It was my first game ever and after playing it when I was 15 made me want to get into game design.
It's a wonderful game and is worth a play even on an emulator. I found out it's the second game in a trilogy, but it's good as a stand alone game.

I'm thinking of asking Arch to do either a Lorerun or Rumination on the Soul Blazer Trilogy.

View user profile
I will always reply to threads like these with Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator. It is a fusion of JRPG's and WRPG's(though leaning more on the JRPG side) with a well executed, if cliche story, great but very grindy combat and great characters.

My main problem with it is that half-way through the story you really don't know where to go to pick up the story again and I lost HOURS as a kid trying to find it which sucked the fun out of the rest of the game for me(that and being consistently more and more grindy), otherwise it'd have been in my Top 10... now it would be in Top 30. I recommend anyone playing this game to use a walkthrough, otherwise you'll be lost for hours upon hours(without the being lost part, I'd say the game is 50 hours long, but as a kid on my first playthrough it took me 120+ hours because I had no idea where to go or what to do).

View user profile
Corwinus omg I played Septerra Core as a kid as well and I actually bought it on steam last year thinking I'd beat it but never played it since buying it, always thought it was an interesting game.
With all the games I have played I cannot think of one that nobody knows about that I could add to this list Sad

View user profile

16 Re: Your favorite game that no one knows about? on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:46 am

Legend of Legaia and Legaia 2 Duel Saga. Both very good RPGs with an unique combat System.

Here is a Video of Legaia 1´s Tutorial to see how the Battle System works:

And here what Damage you can do late in the second game:

Yeah, they are pretty funny and at some points insanely hard Cool

View user profile
I actually liked playing Legaia 1, but didn't picked up 2 yet, Atheru. I've always thought the gameplay was far better than the character development. The story is not that bad though.

My favourite unknown game is Star Ocean 2, for the PSX. It has the best gameplay in any JPRG I've ever played (meaning I put it above any FF game ever) and is an action RPG, meaning you get to whack things in the head while moving during combat. Very good game. Very bad story with very little character development apart from three or four characters. Plus: it has three difficulty modes and I challenge anyone to beat Indalecio or Iseria Queen on universe mod without the cheap trick. Makes beating Omega Weapon in FFVIII at level 7 or 8 a walk in the park in comparison.

View user profile

18 Re: Your favorite game that no one knows about? on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 pm

Until very recently I don't think I ever encountered anyone else who had played Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits, which in addition to having a fun (if cliched) story, also had one of the most innovated SRPG combat systems I'd ever seen (the most, until last December, that is).

There's also another PS2 RPG I loved called "Romancing Saga," which did more with interactive storytelling than any other game before or since. When I think of the... profound potential of games to deliver (truly) open, nonlinear stories... Romancing Saga is the very first one I think of.

Which no one else, it seems, has ever heard of.

Oh!

And I also love this really, really niche JRPG series you've probably never heard of. It only sells in the half-million or so range overseas, and has never been advertised at all, but it's really cool. It's called "Dragon Quest." It's something of a forgotten-gem.

View user profile
Arsene Lupin wrote:Until very recently I don't think I ever encountered anyone else who had played Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits

Well, now you can add one more to the list Very Happy  *looking at his copie sitting in his shelf*

Last edited by Atheru on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can´t read)

View user profile
Ok I got a game to add to this, Ragnarok Online I wouldn't say nobody knows about it but it was never that big, and a random youtube video I stumbled across which is what made me think of it.

View user profile
WKC690 wrote:King's Quest III: To Heir Is Human

Yeah I am THAT old.

I know this one, sorry. Only played the fan remake though. Smile

View user profile

22 Re: Your favorite game that no one knows about? on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:37 am

For me it definitely has to be Gitaroo Man. I bought this game off amazon purely because I heard this song, The Legendary Theme and instantly fell in love with it. I didn't even care about the rest of songs in the game (which turned out to be pretty good overall) and I looked up some game play footage and just went right for it. Never regretted it since. Also hey guys it's been a while since my last post, schools been kicking my ass but I'm glad to be back.

View user profile

23 Re: Your favorite game that no one knows about? on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:53 am

A game I almost never see talked about that I've always enjoyed is one called Thousand Arms, a JRPG/Dating Sim game for the PS1.  The story is likely one you've seen before, with the characters trying to protect the MacGuffins from the badies, but the characters in this really do make it worth playing through in my honest opinion.  Still, if you like JRPGs, Datings Sims and anime, you'll enjoy this.  To give you a better idea of what sort of game it is, here's a review:

View user profile
Hidden and Dangerous 2. You control a group of four SAS soldiers, infiltrating nazi bases and whatnot. Not a dudebro shooter. Actually good.

View user profile
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Devils Reef Glitch is still around, but can be easily gotten around.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum