» Bound by the Past
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 6-1069
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

Our Top 20 Favorite Games - The Empyrium's First Grand Gathering [VOTING]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

UPDATE: This voting is now closed. Further entrants can no longer be accepted. Also, I sent PM's to specific participants, so please check your inboxes!

Hello everybody!

A couple of days ago I brought up this idea in the Twitch chat during the AGDQ host and people generally had a positive reaction to it, so I decided to go along with it. For those of you, who don't know what I'm talking about, let me explain. Between 2011 and 2014, I used to hold an annual event on a German gaming forum, where members would post their Top 10 favorite games of all time, which I would then add up to one overarching list for the whole community. It grew bigger and better each year and was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. The forum no longer exists though, so I kind of miss doing that.

As an example, here you can view the video results of the final voting in 2014:

Spoiler:

So yeah, let me grab my trusty old shovel and dig up this old corpse of an idea!
This is the Empyrium's First Grand Gathering, in which only the best of the best will be worshipped for their excellence!

Here are the rules:

1. Each user is only allowed one entry of votes.
2. Each user must post their ten favorite games in order of favor (either ascending or descending).
3. Each user must make sure to avoid ambiguous naming of titles.
4. Games cannot share ranks in a Top 10 of one user. Each game must be attributed its own rank.

An example post would look something like this:

Spoiler:
#10. Duke Nukem Forever
#09. E.T.
#08. Shaq Fu
#07. Charlie's Angels
#06. Lula 3D
#05. Aliens: Colonial Marines
#04. Silver Surfer
#03. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
#02. Superman 64
#01. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

I will close the voting at some point in February, depending on activity, after which the games will be added up to one big, representative Top 20.

The total number of points will decide the placing of individual titles on that list, with higher ranked games obviously scoring a higher amount of points. The number of mentions will come into effect when games are tied. The pointing system itself will differ from all the previous systems. There is a reason I can delve into, but this post is not the place for it. Basically, I decided to adopt the system of Formula 1, which awards points as follows: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, 25. At the end of the process, I'll make sure to present the results in video form, similarly to how it's done in the example above. Of course I'm going to try to up the production values a little again, but we will see how that turns out.

Anyway, that is it, guys. Feel free to go ahead and post your Top 10's! Obviously The mighty Lorerunner himself is also invited to participate, if he so wishes. However, his Top 30 is already public. So unless anything has changed on that front, I can alternatively just import the Top 10 from there. Oh, and I will post my own list at a later point, of course.

So yeah, let it begin!

Last edited by ZGoten on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:54 pm; edited 3 times in total

View user profile
Mine are already done... but I get a vote too, don't I? =)

#10: Starcraft 2
#09: Paper Mario 2, Thousand Year Door
#08: Final Fantasy V
#07: Metroid Prime
#06: Earthbound
#05: Final Fantasy IV
#04: Dragon Age Origins
#03: World of Warcraft
#02: Chrono Trigger
#01: Final Fantasy VI

#10: StarCraft 2
#09: Resident Evil 5
#08: Tomb Raider 2013
#07: Fallout 3
#06: Metroid Prime
#05: Dragon Age Inquisition
#04: Final Fantasy VII
#03: Metal Gear Solid
#02: Chrono Trigger
#01: Final Fantasy X

Well I have ME 3 and DA:I in my top 30 there I kind of group both series as a single game. DA:I gets to stay on this list as I can say for a fact it is by far the most fun I have had playing a DA game, however none of the ME games work as a standalone game for me so it got bumped off for StarCraft 2.

***edit I edited it to just Metal Gear Solid and excluded Twin Snakes to possibly get it more votes Smile

View user profile
Pitching into this idea. Very Happy

#10: Mass Effect 2
#09: Metroid Prime
#08: Freelancer
#07: Final Fantasy V
#06: Final Fantasy IV
#05: Chrono Trigger
#04: Kingdom Hearts II (Final Mix)
#03: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (Final Mix)
#02: Final Fantasy VI
#01: Final Fantasy IX

...I may be a tiny bit of a Square fan. Not sure.

View user profile
I'm a new generation gamer so that'll also affect my list Very Happy

#10 Crusader Kings 2
#09 Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
#08 Age of Mythology
#07 Portal
#06 Assassin's Creed
#05 StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void
#04 Mass Effect
#03 Dragon Age Inquisition
#02 Transistor
#01 Life is Strange

It was really hard to settle which would be #1 between Transistor and Life is Strange and I really wish they could share that spot but alas I have to choose.

*I will play Portal 2 in the near future so I might portal out 1 and replace it with 2.

View user profile
I have a....strange selection of games. Some are older some are newer but I love them.

#10 Dragon Age 2 (please don't kill me  Shocked )
#9 Mario N64
#8 KoToR 1
#7 LoZ Ocarina of Time
#6 Oblivion
#5 Halo 2
#4 Last of Us
#3 KoToR 2
#2 Fallout: New Vegas
#1 Morrowind

Morrowind...I just loved everything about it and I've played it so much and through so many content mods. Hoping to play it again this summer.

View user profile
Your example list is missing Ride to Hell: Retribution. Razz

#10. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
#09. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
#08. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Final Mix)
#07. The Talos Principle
#06. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
#05. Freelancer
#04. Portal 2
#03. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
#02. Mass Effect 2
#01. Mass Effect

Last edited by Theodoricos on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
That's a beautiful example list ZGoten. I got a real good laugh out of it.

#10 Phantasy Star 4
#9 Albert Odyssey
#8 Shining Force 2
#7 KotOR 2
#6 Chrono Trigger
#5 Lunar 1 Silver Star Story Complete
#4 Civilization 5
#3 Mass Effect 2
#2 Romance of the Three Kingdoms 10
#1 Final Fantasy 9

Ugh, wish I could have added Xenogears, Psychonauts, Metal Gear Solid 3, Tell Tale games in general, Life is Strange, and Dragon Force to the list but as much as I love them I love these games more. I'll be shocked if any of the obscure ones get votes though, lol.

View user profile
Ugh... forcing to choose one over others... Ten over everything!!! This is torture! Torture, I tell you!

#01: KOTOR 2
#02: Final Fantasy VII
#03: X-COM (1993)
#04: OpenXcom
#05: NWN 1
#06: Xenosaga 1
#07: Homeworld 1
#08: Sengoku Rance
#09: Tactics Ogre (PSP remake)
#10: Battle for Wesnoth

View user profile
10. Lost Odyssey
9. GoldenEye 64
8. Command & Conquer: Kane's Wrath
7. Space Marine
6. Total War: Medieval 2
5. Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing
4. Republic Commando
3. Ultima 5
2. Daggerfall
1. Legend of Dragoon

Alternate choices that got beat: 7. Mass Effect, 4. Rainbow Six Las Vegas 2, 3. Ultima 4

View user profile
10: Red Dead Redemption
9: FNV
8: NWN II
7: KOTOR II
6: Dragon Age: Origins
5: Steins;Gate
4: The Void
3: Rose Guns Days
2: Pathologic
1: Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

and, because it transcends mere gaming:

0: ET

View user profile
Hey, thanks for all the participation so far!

Here's my own list:

#10. The Last Story
#09. Deadly Premonition
#08. Metal Gear Solid
#07. Deus Ex
#06. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
#05. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
#04. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
#03. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
#02. Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots
#01. Final Fantasy X

Last edited by ZGoten on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
1: Chrono Trigger
2: Bayonetta
3: Starcraft 1/Brood War (Because #RaynorDreamedItAll)
4: FF7 (In Japanese)
5: KOTOR 2
6: Fate/Stay Night
7: Mass Effect 2
9: Super Smash Bros. Melee (Because it's the best one Razz)
10: Hotline Miami

Didn't think about this too hard, but that's a decent list of stuff I like in an alright order.

View user profile
Evilknightz, you're missing a game. It's only 9.

View user profile
@Spirit of Memory I actually Love DA2 but its a very much love hate relationship the game has so many minior issues that just get to me.

@Corwinus Life of Strange has been on my wishlist for awhile I wonder if I would like it, maybe I'll make a point of picking it up on summer sales when I have money again.

@ZGoten wow RE3 was a good game but what made it better then 2 for you? most people seem to worship RE2, not trying to be rude or anything just interested.

View user profile
3 is just a better game mechanically. It has a quickturn, it has a dodge feature and it has dynamic staircases. I love the feature of powder mixing and the more varied environments as well. The game also has a lot of dynamic zombie and item placing that is partially influenced by your decisions in the game. Yes, there are also decisions. RE2 is great, but it's not the best, in my opinion. It's in the Top 3, though.

View user profile
I didn't know the zombie placement was more dynamic only played the game once that is a awesome change, my personal favorite of the classic RE games is the remake on gamecube. RE5 got in my top10 even tho that game is hated on in my opinion it is by far the most fun zombie shooting game I have played, I've got all the achievements twice and still play the game fairly often.

View user profile
Ugh, SO MANY games I haven't played/finished that could affect this list.  I'm so behind on my backlog.

10. CoD 4: Modern Warfare
9. KOTOR II
8. Bastion
7. Half-Life 2
6. Saints Row IV
5. Pokemon Emerald
4. Portal
3. KOTOR
2. Mass Effect 2
1. Mass Effect

I'm still not entirely sure which Mass Effect game should go in which slot.  ME2 is the better game in (almost) every way and I know it, but ME1 was something of a refuge for me during what was (thus far) the darkest time of my life.  I've completed it start to finish more than twenty times, I know it inside and out, and honestly going back to it just feels like coming home.

View user profile
I really don't have a top 10. I have 50 games that I hold in high esteem going back over 25 years ago and I do not place any of them as better than the other in terms of quality because they entertain me in various ways when I am in various moods.

However, I have been thinking about working on my first video game project since I was 8 in 1995 but I decided to actually do it back in 2013. The games I have listed below are the ones who have brought me the most inspiration to make this game over the other games I enjoy due to the different types of elements they have that I want to bring into my game. Elements involving fun, control, music, narrative, sound, replayabilities, art, innovations, level design, writing, animations, variances, challenges, aesthetics, customizabilities, explorations, user interfaces, immersivenesses, gameplay, stories, and graphics that I enjoyed.

They are in order of 10 being the least inspired to my game and 1 being the most inspired to my game. I only picked one game in a series. As I said earlier, when it comes to just personal tastes I have none that are better than others but when it comes to inspiration to my game, bam.

10. Undertale
9. Zone of the Enders 2: The 2nd Runner
8. Shadow of the Colossus
7. Xenogears
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Bayonetta 2
3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix
2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
1. Final Fantasy 7

View user profile
Throw New Vegas in as my #8

View user profile
The order of my list seems to change every time I try to do a list like this.

10: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
9: Resident Evil 2
8: Fallout 3
7: Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear
6: Bioshock 1
5: Mario 64
4: Metal Gear Solid 3
3: Super Metroid
2: Dark Souls
1: Mass Effect 2

As I was compiling my list, an interesting thought came to mind. What games in your top 10 are locked into the top 10 -- which games are likely to never be removed from your top 10? The order can still change as long as it falls into the top 10.

My locks are Mass Effect 2, Super Metroid, Bioshock, Dark Souls, Mario 64, and Rogue Spear. Rogue Spear played a major part in my childhood and introduction into what the internet could do in general, especially on a social level, and I can't downplay that.

View user profile
My top 4 will always be my top4 I don't see any game(s) coming out anytime soon that could possibly mean more to me then those 4 games.

View user profile
The games that are locked into my top 10 are FFIX, FFVI, KHBBS, and KHII. The rest tend to change places with other great games. For example, Dark Souls, Twilight Princess, and FFVII often get bumped into or out of the list when I replay them.

Last edited by TheLastSamurai14 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
1.   The Witcher 3
2.   Legend of the Dragoon
3.   Shadow Hearts : Covenant
4.   Shadow Hearts
5.   Planescape Torment
6.   Nier
7.   Mass Effect 2
8.   World of Warcraft
9.   Final Fantasy 7
10.  Dragon Age Origins

What can I say, I´m a RPG Geek Razz

As you can see most of my top 5 Games are really old, except for the Witcher 3.
This game, I don´t know, it just kindled that little fire in that dark corner of my heart that still belongs to the younger me who played all these older games.
It was the first game in a while, that I couldn´t wait to come home and play and that I played till the last moment. Or where I just said to myself "screw you Sleep!! I can sleep tomorrow!".

And all the stories it told, spoken or unspoken through all the little details in this beautiful World with the most awesome Vistas I´ve ever seen in a Game.
This is how I want my modern western RPGs to be. This Game set a new bar for all Games of it´s genre that will follow, at least for me.

I´m playing Pillars of Eternity at the moment, and it has the same potential for now but I´m just at the beginning and I need to see, if it can bind me till the very end, so it´s not on my Top Ten List yet Smile

Last edited by Atheru on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I´m getting old and oblivious)

View user profile
Great idea for a thread. Like many here, my 'top 10' is by no means set in stone, but the games that immediately come to mind this morning are:

1. The Witcher: Wild Hunt
2. Mass Effect
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Dragon Age Origins
5. Ico
6. Shadow of the Colossus
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Witcher
9. Elite
10. Dark Souls

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]