» Turn 10-1068
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:04 pm

I first saw season 3 of The Clone Wars back in 2012 near when it aired and was fascinated by these three episodes, Overlords, Altar of Mortis and Ghosts of Mortis. These three episodes make up the Mortis Arc.

Years later i have found out that among Star Wars fans that the episode is controversial, not liked and hated by some. I am unsure as to why and so i have re-watched the three episodes today and can say I enjoyed them more now than when I first watched them.

So, how come people dislike this episode? Comment what your thoughts are of this particular story arc. i am very interested to see what other people think. Smile

View user profile

2 Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:08 pm

A little off topic, but not by much: Did you ever get to see the original "Clone Wars" anime? The one made from the producers of Samurai jack and showed on Toonami as a countdown to episode III?

View user profile

3 Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:10 pm

JaxVaeus wrote:A little off topic, but not by much: Did you ever get to see the original "Clone Wars" anime? The one made from the producers of Samurai jack and showed on Toonami as a countdown to episode III?

Yes, I love it. I watched the original back when it aired on Toonami in the UK in 2003.

Best to keep to the topic at hand. If we want to talk about that series then we should really make a new thread discussing it. Smile

View user profile

4 Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Yup. Back to the topic at hand. I thought it was very quasi-religious. And while it was an... interesting... episode it kind of shat on star wars lore. What I mean by that is the force isn't supposed to be a physical thing, yet the episode portrayed the force as physical manifestations that can alter the balance of the galaxy.

Like the sole existence of the episode was to say 'this is why the dark side will prevail' instead of a complex moral situation. It tried to simplify a struggle that had always been represented as a 'good v evil, just v unjust' internal conflict. I think that's why it had so much negativity. Not the episode itself but instead what it represented and tried to portray itself as.

View user profile

5 Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:50 pm

This is a complicated one as there is a lot to discuss. The Father, Son and Daughter are know as Ones/Force Wielders. Darth Plagueis theorized (I think so as well) that the old ones were descendants of the Celestials.

I don't feel they actual embodiment of the different aspects of the force (though I don't deny they represent each side), by listening to the dialogue we learn that both children chose to follow their own aspect of the force while not going fully and keeping themselves from going to the extremes such as the Jedi Order or the Old Sith Empire. (That is until Anakin comes along.)

Useful Links:
Celestials: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Celestial
Force Wielders/Old Ones: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_wielder/Legends
The Father: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Father_(Mortis)/Legends
The Daughter: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Daughter/Legends
The Son: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Son/Legends

I just realized how much there is to discuss...

View user profile

6 Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:58 pm

The main reason for the hate is that it brings back something that was derided in the dead EU. Celestials and Old Ones were liked about as much as midochorlians.

But I think it comes down to the fact that Star Wars is a drama-first setting especially when it comes to the force. Beings like those in the Mortis Arc try to shift gears by being details-first with the force, and it's not something that can mesh well together.

View user profile

7 Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm waiting for Rebels to end (and seeing what they do with Old Republic tech) before commenting what it means for the Canon timeline.

For this topic I want to keep with the EU (Legends timeline). When this episode was made it was part of the EU, so when discussing this I am talking about it in relation to everything else.

For me personally the episode didn't bother me. I found the force stuff and force wielders interesting and I love references to ancient events and lore in the Star Wars universe. I'm one of the few that seems to like many aspects of Star Wars that people don't like...

Trivia: The Celestials were mentioned first time in a 1983 Lando novel. Smile

View user profile

8 Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:38 am

For many - including myself - the Force was one of most interesting and unique aspects of Star Wars lore. It had elements of magic, but also had a lot of spiritual things going on. It was never really explained, but mostly left for interpretation. And so, whereas Lifestream, or Mana, or any other kind of supernatural force in any given setting were mostly explained and defined clearly, the Force was not. It added mysticism to Star Wars and allowed for a lot of theory crafting. Everyone was able to invent their own version of the Force and define it however they wanted. Light/Darkness dualism? Fits. Natural Force and corrupted Dark Side? Fits. Pure Force without any sides, with only difference between usage existing on personal level? Fits. And etc, etc etc...

This allowed for a lot of creative writing. We got Kotor 2, NJO era, Timothy Zahn's stuff, and whole lotta more creative designs, that not always fit with each other perfectly, but show interesting ideas and concepts, which are worthy of delving into.

Clone Wars tried to end that and gave us clear definition - there is Light Side, Dark Side, and the best situation is balance between them... But never clearly defined that balance. Hell, that interpretation, so much hammered into us doesn't fit with a lot of other works. Yes, they not always fit with each other well, but those were just individual moments, that didn't have right to happen anywhere else but in their respective work. Mortis Trilogy basicly tried to define how Force works, adding clear deities into SW. Not only that, but those deities were badly written. Does anyone remember the line that the Son (personification of the Dark Side) has fallen to the dark side? How can that even work?

Now, I don't mind different ideas. Kotor 2 had one clear - what if Force is not required for life in the galaxy? Thing is, the game clearly stated, that although it IS possible to live without the Force, it cannot happen just like nothing. It required tremendous cost and had very problematic consequences. And, what's more important, the game actually never stated what would happen if the Force would be gone, essentially leaving everything up to interpretation, as good work of art should. Mortis did the Matrix/Mass Effect 3 thing, by shoving the "truth" down our throats. We had clearly defined Anakin's role, clearly defined Force, clearly defined it's nature. Bad. Writing.

It's not that those episodes didn't have some interesting ideas. I just think they were poorly handled, trying to hard to be mystic. The episodes with Yoda at the end of Clone Wars, as well as more mystic Rebels episodes did far better job of making all mysterious, as they just presented a different ideas into the Force, leaving much for interpretation, instaed of trying to DEFINE anything.

And not that I think writers wanted to make something one big truth. I haven't watched the episodes for quite some time, but overall I think that it was just trying to hard to be artsy, and failing to, cause of not understanding source material.

View user profile

9 Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mortis Arc on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 am

I don't consider the Mortis Arc the definitive explanation for the force. I like the force as this unexplainable, well, force that binds the galaxy together. I consider the People of Mortis's way of looking at the force as just another belief. Evidence in their favor, but nothing too solid.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum