» Turn 9-1068
Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:08 pm by FreelanceZero

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hype vs. Hoype

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Hype vs. Hoype on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Over the years I've come up with a few terms and my own definitions for them because, frankly, english is insufficient. Anyways.

Hype: Artificially and externally generated interest in something. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I've found in my long years that this tends to indicate a lack of faith in a given product or performance and a desire to wring as much money out of the equivalent of 'opening night' as possible, usually at the expense of the franchise, long-term viability, and of course the consumers aka us. Watch Dogs is a literal text-book example of this. So is Star Trek V. Both works had great opening sales, then plummeted, and have since been cemented as 'passable at best'.

Hoype: Naturally and internally generated interest in something. The diametric opposite of Hype, Hoype is all about being excited for something because... (bare with me here)... you're excited about something. You don't need a marketing campaign or a slogan to get you into it, though sometimes it may help. You love enthusing or theorycrafting or just plain sharing in the excitement with others about whatever it is.

I bring this up now especially because I've noticed in the last decade or so, for me personally I've gotten into a weird place with Hoype. Usually I'm excited for a thing, then I effectively forget about it... up until it's actually close to release. Then as soon as I'm reminded of its imminent release I'm pretty jazzed... and it just builds from that point until I'm super excited right up to and including when the game or movie goes live. This works out really well with movies especially because, as I've said many times, a good movie is best enjoyed while shared. Or, in other words, if you go to a showing and the audience is super into it, the overall experience tends to be improved. This is true with games as well; the last game I remember really getting super hoyped for and sharing with a friend in person was actually FFXII. We went to Gamestop, midnight release, drove home... already had snacks and drinks and whatnot, and man we loved every second of it. We both got chills at the opening cinematic and title crawl. It was awesome.

So what about you guys? Where do you stand on Hype vs. Hoype, and how are they implemented for you?

2 Re: Hype vs. Hoype on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:07 pm

nope.

Last edited by DeutscheKind on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : expunging.)

View user profile

3 Re: Hype vs. Hoype on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 am

I'm good at not getting excited for anything ever. I forget things are coming up. Like Yahtzee famously demonstrated, nothing bad can come of not looking forward to things, but getting excited for them can genuinely upset you.

View user profile

4 Re: Hype vs. Hoype on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:56 am

I've never heard of the term 'hoype' before, and I would say that my understanding of 'hype' fits both of your definitions there. Hm, not really sure what else to say.

View user profile

5 Re: Hype vs. Hoype on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:18 am

A couple of years ago I had a period when I was actively avoiding anything and everything that was hyped up so much that it would make the second coming of Jesus Christ pale in comparison. In fact, I'm ashamed to admit it but I was usually the one to bash them for every little mistake that I could find. However, lately I've been able to achieve a kind of zen attitude towards hype and anticipation. I can ignore the praise/criticism a game or a movie gets and decide for myself without letting me swayed one way or another. To use your vocabulary I still get hoyped while I can just let hype bend into the background noise. Also, I completely agree with you saying that sharing the experience can enhance it greatly. I watched a series with a bunch of friends last year and the discussion of the episodes and speculation of how it would all end were half the fun of an already memorable adventure.

View user profile

6 Re: Hype vs. Hoype on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 am

I don't think that Hype is necessarily bad by itself - how we would discover releases that have slipped us and our buddies by otherwise? - but, as you've already pointed out, Hype overdose can ruin things pretty quickly.

Same with negative Hype (although it's press that's doing it instead of the product's own marketing department, that's still not Hoype).

I've first run into it some years ago when a monthly gaming magazine I've been following for some time by that point had completely dissed Crysis 1 into a ditch in all categories in their review; it resulted in me deciding to skip the game entirely. A bit after that, a friend of mine had shared his experience with it and was really confused by the points I've quoted from that article - his experience did not correlate at all.

After trying out Crysis for myself, I had found myself completely agreeing with him and was really surprised, in an unpleasant way. I've compared other reviews of the games I've gotten ahold of a copy of personally, and had noticed something really weird going on with how the magazine rated said games in comparison to what I could actually see for myself when I played them.

I've stopped looking at commercial reviews of videogames since.

Hoype...

There was that one time when Gothic 3 was coming out. Basically everybody amongst my peers in school I was in who was into videogames was aware of the previous two games, and quite a bit out of them were hardcore fans. The Hoype amongst us was high.

When it actually was released, the game came out with seriously bad perfomance issues, tons of bugs, strange character design, questionable story and, most of all, about the shittiest implementation of an in-game journal and quest log I've seen yet. In a game with huge territory you could roam about, with no quest markers in either your UI or on the map screen. So... it wasn't very fun to play, to put it mildly. And going in with so much collective Hoype left us with a much nastier impression than, IMHO, we would've gotten otherwise.

An example of negative Hoype fudging things up: a good friend of mine refuses to touch almost anything jrpg because he is of a firm opinion that the story is gonna be a bunch of overconvoluted pretentious trash, stuffed with a bunch of heavy-handed symbolism for the sake of symbolism, populated with immersion-breakingly young characters that play to their stereotypes too rigidly. I'm not sure from exactly which game he got that impression, but persuading him to play anything but FFV in the genre is like pulling teeth.

So... my experience with this is 'everything in moderation', I guess?

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum