» Chelsey Wright: hiring a lawyer
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Tyranny Coupon 50%
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm by TheUltimateParadoxs

» Warlords II: Turn Four - Departure of a Hero
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Greedfall, new game by Spiders: teaser trailer
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:16 am by RorytheRomulan

» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:08 am by Luslanz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gripes of Wrath: Fallout 4 DLC, Far Harbor

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Gripes of Wrath: Fallout 4 DLC, Far Harbor on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Couple things I wanna say about the Far Harbor DLC for Fallout 4. None of them good.

Avery
Avery was okay, but her inclusion as she was just didn't feel right. I liked the harbormen's majority being distrustful to outsiders, and Avery being in a position of respect/power in their community kinda offset that, made the attitude of the harbormen less impacting. She would have been better as someone who wasn't well-respected, someone who didn't have her own microphone in town politics. Her being the mayor sort of watered down the distrustful and suspicious attitude that the town was supposed to have. I didn't feel unwelcome by the whole town or super mad at them, just the people who spoke up, because of Avery. She was right there to explain everything to me in a clear and concise manner what was bothering the islanders and not to take it personally, and her being mayor-or-something made it even worse.

It's never explained why outsiders are shunned, and there are no examples given of these outsiders coming and causing trouble, and you might think that's a plus, but it's not, because I doubt I'll ever hear about it ever again except in general dialogue from the nameless harbormen.

Captain's Dance
I don't mind receiving attitude from npcs, as long as I can give a little back, but we all look forward to achieving the goals and victories that finally win the peoples' hearts. However, the Captain's Dance quest felt short and cheap and completely segregate. "Don't like the way people are treating you? Does Allen's cold shoulder bother you so much that you just can't take it? Here, go kill a boss monster." I was expecting to earn the islanders' trust and kindness in a more meaningful way tied to quests related to why I came in the first place, and the other factions, and the end of the main quest of Far Harbor. The boss monster is a mirelurk queen, gee that sounds new and tough as nails. If you've killed a mirelurk queen even once before, you'll roll your eyes, and I've killed 3, which is enough given how often you encounter one. Even how the quest is handed to you feels out of place (by the kindly town doctor who just wants people to play nice, no less). The game would have been better without this quest.

Red Death
Mariner hyped the shit out of this encounter. "Get everything you got, get kitted out to heck," verbatim, and paraphrasing. I bought a minigun and 600 5mm. I would have bought 1000 if Dejen had it. I bought harpoons. I contemplated returning to East Coast America for the fat man I never use, and then my power armor because hey, it's right there and I have about 40 Fusion Cores cuz I rarely use that. I was half-expecting, hoping, that they were going to pull a bait-and-switch on me as I left. I heard Mariner say "It wasn't supposed to be like this." Which got me thinking that maybe there was supposed to be a real sea monster to fight, but it got cut. Whatever the reason was doesn't change what a glaring disappointment this quest's payoff was for me. At least "Nora" got a laugh out of it.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum