» Turn 9-1068
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:59 am by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

» Is The Federation in Star Trek Fascist?
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

Community Movie Night Megathread (every Saturday at 2:00 PM EST)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Please read this post in its entirety before commenting. Thank you!

The Imperium holds a community movie night every Saturday at noon MST (2:00 PM EST, 6:00 PM GMT), where several of us get together on a relatively new media-streaming site and watch a few movies while hanging out. These movies have ranged from great, to terrible, to strange, to timeless, to absolutely fucking hilarious. On top of that, the resulting banter is always enjoyable, no matter the circumstances. The movie nights we've held thusfar have gone mostly smoothly, with very few cancellations or delays, and we intend to continue that. However, several viewers have expressed their concerns that we don't really have a proper order to refer to, and as a result, the movie night planning devolves into a chaotic mess of "who can get their suggestion in first", with very little consideration toward popular opinion.

To this end, I've taken it upon myself to list each and every movie we're intent on watching for the foreseeable future. Within the aforementioned list, there are several lone movies, some double features, and a few "movie blocks", where movies focused on a particular long-running franchise are listed (e.g. Godzilla, Star Trek, Star Wars, MCU). We will likely also have scheduled streams in the future. I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this list, and would like everyone who is interested in participating in our movie night feature to contribute in the following ways:

• Help the community come to a consensus on what to watch for the next week. We aim to watch two movies every Saturday, so please post a wide variety of movies every month or so (try to aim for around 16) to help me get an idea of what you guys would like to watch.

• Petition to remove movies which you don't think the community will enjoy. I'm mostly adding this contribution option due to the sheer length of the list. If anyone gives adequate reason as to why a particular movie shouldn't be viewed, and the community at large comes to agree, movies can be struck from the list. However, please don't take this as an invitation to just strike down a movie you don't particularly like. If you don't like one single movie, don't watch it. Again, give an adequate reason, and consider the interests of the community as a whole, not just yourself.

• Suggest movies to be added to the list. Please note that any new suggestions will be added to the bottom of the list. Sorry, guys, new suggestions get first-come-first-serve treatment, even if the voting process for viewing priority is largely democratic. Also, as with the previous point, please consider the interests of the entire community when offering suggestions. As an additional consideration, when the time comes to start searching for new movies each month, please try to pick movies which we currently have on the list before giving new suggestions for the list. That way, we'll be able to get through our current backlog a lot quicker, allowing us to start watching suggestions posted in this forum ASAP. Finally, try to limit your suggestions to just 1 post per week, to make it easier on me. That's not a rule, just a guideline that I value for the sake of my sanity.

• Monthly nominations:
    (In a reply to this post, nominate around eight to sixteen of your choices from the master list (linked below) for the upcoming month so that we can get a wide enough variety for some movies to come out on top. Choices will be listed here and tallied up with votes.)
    Movie Night nominations, March 2017:

• Monthly schedule, February 2017:
    February 4th:
    The Big Lebowski
    Sharknado

February 11th:

February 18th:
    Ghost in the Shell
    Little Shop of Horrors

February 25th:
    Forrest Gump
    Van Helsing

Relevant links:

• Movie Night List - Please try to pick movies from our list before offering suggestions! I will check this thread regularly (I've got reply notifications going straight to my email) to modify the list as necessary. Please don't be shy with regards to your picks or suggestions!

The streaming room you should visit for each upcoming weekend will be labeled as such.

• Samurai's Movie Night Room - This is our primary location for participating in the movie nights. Plenty of us use webcams and microphones, but text chat is also an option that many of our viewers partake in. Those of us who do use more intrusive methods of communication can be muted and our webcams turned off by any who do not wish to see or hear us. To those worrying about the noise of the audience drowning out the movie, we always watch our films with subtitles, and we try to remain as silent and respectful as possible during scenes which have plenty of dialogue. Also, don't be a stranger! Turn on your mic and webcam, and chat with us! We love seeing new faces and hearing new voices!

• Deutsch's Movie Night Room - This is our secondary location for participating in the movie nights. In the event that I am unable to host or attend during a particular weekend, Deutsch has elected to take over hosting duties. The exact same rules apply to both channels, though, so please remain considerate of everything I have said above.

Thank you for your time, don't forget to chip in with some suggestions, and I look forward to enjoying a bunch of movies with you!

Last edited by Raxaimus on Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:02 pm; edited 31 times in total

View user profile
Few things I noticed.
Godzilla 2014 is in the list twice, once in Godzilla block, second time in single movies.
The Hunger Games - first movie or the entire series? If series I suggest two double features Hunger Games/Catching Fire + Mockingjay Pt1/Mockingjay Pt2.
Wind - is this the one I mentioned, America's Cup sailing movie? If so, it is from 1992 (I'm asking because there apparently is a Malian movie from 1982 under the same title).
Son of Mask - that one is literally cancer. Honestly the worst movie I ever seen, brought me almost physical pain. I think we could do without watching this one, but that's just me.
Informatively - Witcher movie may actually be easier to find under the title "The Hexer".
And finally I'd like to put another movie under consideration - James Cameron's The Abyss.

View user profile
So If we are to do the Hunger Games Series, which I am totally fine with, We should definitely do them back to back. It would be a good idea to have them fresh in the mind for each week. If not, I would suggest doing whichever movie we choose first, and then do the series movie(such as pairing it with Treasure Planet and then Hunger Games), which is a good way to have it still in the mind next week.

Anyway, I suggest we do The Hunger Games as chemik suggested, as well as Summer Wars, Van Helsing (2007), Mortal Kombat (1995), Showdown in Little Tokyo, Con Air, Lord of War, Treasure Planet, Exit Wounds - King Kong (2005), Mad Max: Fury Road, Escape From New York, RED: Retired Extremely Dangerous, Underworld, The Core, Sharknado, Edge of Tomorrow. Not all of these are bad, not all of these are good, some you will hate to love, and love to hate.

edited to adhere to the pirate code!

Last edited by DeutscheKind on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
SzalonyChemik wrote:Few things I noticed.
Godzilla 2014 is in the list twice, once in Godzilla block, second time in single movies.

Fixed!

The Hunger Games - first movie or the entire series? If series I suggest two double features Hunger Games/Catching Fire + Mockingjay Pt1/Mockingjay Pt2.

Seeing as how I've never actually gotten around to seeing THG at all, I'd be more than willing to do all four movies. I'll go ahead and append the list.

Wind - is this the one I mentioned, America's Cup sailing movie? If so, it is from 1992 (I'm asking because there apparently is a Malian movie from 1982 under the same title).

I previously had the 1982 one down. I'm going to assume that was an error on Deutsch's part. I literally just organized most of the list and cleaned up some of the more glaring errors. That one just happened to slip by. Anyway, I've got it down as 1992 now.

Son of Mask - that one is literally cancer. Honestly the worst movie I ever seen, brought me almost physical pain. I think we could do without watching this one, but that's just me.

I don't like it either, but it was in the document when I picked it up, for some reason. We could vote to remove that one, if enough of us feel that it should be ejected. If it ends up staying, though, we'll do a double feature and you could just leave during the second movie.

Informatively - Witcher movie may actually be easier to find under the title "The Hexer".

Noted. Got it down as "The Witcher (The Hexer)" now. Thanks for the heads up.

And finally I'd like to put another movie under consideration - James Cameron's The Abyss.

Alright, it's on the list. Sounds like a fun one!

DeutscheKind wrote:Anyway, I suggest we do The Hunger Games as chemik suggested...

Will do. I think doing a couple of double features is the best way to handle it.

...as well as Summer Wars, Van Helsing (2007), Mortal Kombat (1995), Showdown in Little Tokyo, Con Air, Lord of War, Treasure Planet, Exit Wounds - King Kong (2005), Mad Max: Fury Road, Escape From New York, RED: Retired Extremely Dangerous, Underworld, The Core, Sharknado, Edge of Tomorrow.  Not all of these are bad, not all of these are good, some you will hate to love, and love to hate.

I think all of these are currently on the list. However, if we do Treasure Planet, I personally think that we do it in a double-feature with Atlantis: The Lost Empire. The two came out rather close to one another and are focused on similar sci-fi themes, even if their settings are diametrically opposed. Additionally, both are rather underrated considering they came out between Mulan (2000) and Lilo and Stitch (2003). I feel like they both deserve to be appreciated in the same breath, if at all possible.

As far as the rest of your list goes, I'll keep a note off to the side of the films you voted for.

Last edited by TheLastSamurai14 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
Just putting this out there for those who care, we're thinking of doing another scheduled event. This one's a lot closer than the FFXV-related one. World Space Week is happening from October 4-10, so I had the idea of celebrating it with a triple-feature (yes, triple) consisting of The Martian, Gravity, and Interstellar. If you guys care at all, please vote on the StrawPoll concerning this!

View user profile
I think all of these are currently on the list. However, if we do Treasure Planet, I personally think that we do it in a double-feature with Atlantis: The Lost Empire. The two came out rather close to one another and are focused on similar sci-fi themes, even if their settings are diametrically opposed. Additionally, both are rather underrated considering they came out between Mulan (2000) and Lilo and Stitch (2003). I feel like they both deserve to be appreciated in the same breath, if at all possible.

As far as the rest of your list goes, I'll keep a note off to the side of the films you voted for.

As I said, all of them are on the list and I won't be adding until next go-around - anyhow, I think that's a good idea, so when we do Treasure Planet we'll do Atlantis: The Lost Empire. (that means Treasure planet is on the roster)

Regarding what to do with suggestions, I think if there are any suggested twice or more, we should add them to the roster of the month (a section of the mega thread that will be changing every so often). This way we can keep track of them, and not *have to* keep an extra notepad open - still one or both of us should do that.  as a side note, I have voted yes.

View user profile
Here's my votes for October:

Donnie Darko (Director's Cut)*
King Kong (Extended Edition)
Atlantis: Tyhe Lost Empire
Treasure Planet
Gladiator (Director's Cut)
The Abyss (Director's Cut)
The Princess Bride
The Pirate Movie
Dinotopia
Mortal Kombat (1995)

*For Halloween

View user profile
Okay, my list of suggestion for October in random order:
Wind
The Core
The Abyss (I actually prefer theatrical cut, but I'll leave this for your consideration)
RED: Retired and Extremely Dangerous
Hunger Games marathon (four movies, two Saturdays)
Con Air
Spaceballs

View user profile
Random suggestion: MST3K's The Final Sacrifice.

Only if you'd join. Also, you should try to plan around November 26th, if you can. That way you can watch the FFXV movie with us (and I must say, it doesn't disappoint in the slightest).

View user profile
One thing just struck me, there are no Alien movies on our list, so suggestion:
Alien/Aliens double feature.

View user profile
SzalonyChemik wrote:One thing just struck me, there are no Alien movies on our list, so suggestion:
Alien/Aliens double feature.

Added to the list. Again, try to keep it to one post per week, but I'll make an exception this time due to this being a rather rough start to the format.

View user profile
Decided that I should get around to throwing my nominations for next month into the pile:

Airplane
Downfall
Treasure Planet/Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Forrest Gump
The Day After Tomorrow
The Princess Bride
Edge of Tomorrow
King Kong
Jurassic Park
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
Summer Wars
Idiocracy
Escape from New York
Howard the Duck (I have to throw SOMETHING bad in here)

View user profile
Downfall
The Core
Starship Troopers
Ghostbusters
The Mask
Raiders of the Lost Ark+Temple of Doom

View user profile
Mortal Kombat (1995)
Van Helsing
King Kong (2005)
The Princess Bride

View user profile
Just a heads up, October's nominations are cut off and November's nominations begin now!

View user profile
The link to the master movie list seems to be missing...

View user profile
Jango32 wrote:The link to the master movie list seems to be missing...

Shows up and just fine for me, whether I'm logged in or not. Check again?

View user profile
I think it would be a good idea to try and go through Star Trek block in November.
My reasoning being as follows: 2016 is Star Trek 50th anniversary. Nice round number if you ask me and it would be fitting to watch the series this year. Then again, Rogue One releases this December, so it would be nice to be able to fit Star Wars block prior to that. This leaves November as the most fitting time to do Star Trek movies, in my opinion.

View user profile
My November Votes:

November 5th: V for Vendetta & Donnie Darko (Director's Cut)

November 12th:
Star Trek II: Wrath of Kahn (Director's Cut) & Star Trek III: The Search fro Spock.

November 19th: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home & Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Director's Cut)

November 26th: Reserved for Final Fantasy film night.

Those are my votes.

View user profile
My suggestions for November:

Nov 5 - not going to be there so I'm not going to suggest anything

Nov 12 - Wall-E & Brave

Nov 19 - Princess Mononoke & Castle in the Sky

Nov 26 - already reserved

View user profile
What Darkrai said.

View user profile
The Mummy (1999)
The Mummy Returns
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
The Last Emperor
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

Bad Movies?
Starchaser: The Legend of Orin (1985)
Heavy Metal (1981)

View user profile
Ghostbusters, Starship Troopers, Spaceballs, Jurassic Park.

View user profile
Blade, Spaceballs, Jurassic park, The mummy 1999

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum