Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Community Movie Night Megathread (every Saturday at 2:00 PM EST)
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 am by RorytheRomulan

» The Last Jedi - 2 viewings - Not a fan
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:52 pm by K

» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Black Scale
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Potential Future Loreruns
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:02 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Spoiler Discussion)
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 am by Maz

» Turn 1-1070
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:08 pm by Crensler

» PATREON CHANGES
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:34 pm by Braigwen

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY...
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 pm by WKC690

You are not connected. Please login or register

How fiction affects us

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How fiction affects us on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:36 am

Last night, I finished the Trespasser dlc for Dragon Age: Inquisition. My character romanced Solas, so it was particularly poignant. It affected me deeply; I may have spent most of the night crying. (It was sooooooooo sad. Stop judging me Razz )

It got me thinking about how strong an impact fiction in general and video games in particular can have on us. I thought it could be interesting if people talked about something from a game (or any fictional work) that was particularly meaningful to them. Maybe a character's journey, an aspect of a setting, or a certain plot.

Or maybe you'll just laugh at me. Razz (Vhenan Crying or Very sad )

View user profile

2 Re: How fiction affects us on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:17 am

Lufia 2.

(Spoilers for a 1995 SNES RPG)

Towards the end of the game the hero and his beloved become separated from the remainder of the group and unable to teleport to safety. She dies quietly, and he rushes off through the bowels of a quickly descending floating fortress to redirect it so it will not land on top of their hometown. He succeeds, quite literally burning his life to do so, and a vision / ghost of her appears and he utters the quote, "I'm so tired." He lies down, and dies.

Down below, the hero's old friend (who secretly loved him, but he didn't return it) walks out on the same day and, without knowing anything that's going on, just bursts into tears. And her friend consoles her; "Sometimes you just have to cry it out. Cry, and tomorrow will be better." But it never is.

3 Re: How fiction affects us on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:36 pm

So, since I am a weeb of stupid of the stupidest nature, let's talk about naruto and why I can't watch the beginning of the 5 nation's war arc. So, Yes [SPOOILERRS!!!!!!], there be indeed some spoilin goin on for Naruto, if anyone gives a crap.

Through out the entirety of Naruto's education as a ninja, more like war asset but whatever, what is most harped on is how Naruto feels like an outcast. It's most apparent in the very first episode of the original series, he's acting up like a neglected child would, and being punished and not understanding why. In the next day he's saved by someone who he though absolutely hated him because he was, in the eyes of his peers and teachers, a failure and, most assuredly, an outcast. Later on we meet Jiraya, a very goofy, very perverted, old man who right off the bat, we're supposed to hate. However, over the course of the original series and until the beginning of the war arc, we come to absolutely adore Jiraya much like Naruto does. he's like a second uncle to us, he's funny, he's caring, and he does what he thinks best for Naruto. He's one of the very few who took it out of his busy life to actually train and help Naruto, for seemingly, no reason. He absolutely gave Naruto the father figure he needed to get through the shit.

Then the Akatsuki are introduced - and the ticker on Jiraya starts.  By the time Jiraya gets to the hidden rain villiage, we know that Jiraya might not make it out 100 percent intact, or maybe even alive. He's known as one of the greatest ninja in his generation, so we have this sense of maybe everything's gonna be okay.  However, once the Pain fight starts, everything that you hoped about it being okay, comes to a crushing end. You sit there helpless while Jiraya dies, nothing valiant, nothing great. He dies on his stomach, not even able to fight back. It's a very bitter end to a great character. Then we get to the message he left for Naruto, and it crushes him. The fact that his, essentially, dad is dead and he couldn't do anything about that. It tears him up. That entire section of the manga and anime, I cannot watch because it makes me so depressed.

View user profile

4 Re: How fiction affects us on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:06 pm

you might like this video(Solas romance fan video) I loved it..

View user profile

5 Re: How fiction affects us on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Okay, if you haven't played Undertale True Pacifist, DON'T READ PAST HERE BECAUSE SPOILERS FOR UNDERTALE TRUE PACIFIST RUN. 

We get to the end of it all, faced down Asriel in his God of Hyperdeath form and win out through the power of the bonds we've forged throughout the entire game.  Asriel crumbles under the weight of his own newly returned emotions and your sheer stubborn determination to save your loved ones.  Inspired by you, he shatters the barrier with his power, but in so doing must ultimately sacrifice what makes him capable of feeling compassion and, most importantly, love.  And all you can do is hug him.  I have to admit, the first time I played I cried.  We saved everyone else but couldn't save a single betrayed, lonely little boy T.T

View user profile

6 Re: How fiction affects us on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks, ZeroCool. That was beautiful, and very well made. Not sure if I was emotionally ready for it though. That was my first playthrough, so I was completely unprepared.

View user profile

7 Re: How fiction affects us on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:13 am

to add to this topic I'll say the Citadel DLC really moved me not because it was sad or whatever because it was a great last run for all the loveable characters of the trilogy(unlike the ending).

View user profile

8 Re: How fiction affects us on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:59 am

Well, if getting so affected by video game is sign of weakness, I am officially the weakest man Razz I think I can list few examples.

Kotor 2:
I think I am the only man on earth that got teared up playing this game. Maybe it's nostalgia on my part, but it always makes me feel... different. The whole aspect of Revan leaving his beloved friends to fight somewhere else always hit me like a train - alongside Bastila's AMAZING voice acting. Then comes Kreia and Exile, and how both of them develope (I always tried to rp Exile). I will not lie, when saying, that Kotor 2 is what I want to achieve as writer and developer. Even though I don't think it's the best game of all time, it resonates with me more than any work of fiction.

FFVII:
BIg moment:
Death of Aerith
hit me so hard, that I was thinking about it for hours and made me realise (not making this up), how much I truly loved my gf at the time. I actually called her to tell her that I love her so much and I wanna change and make our relantionship better. Granted, it was too late, but that sudden realisation was so weird and still so difficult to comprehend, that I will never forget it.

I think I could list some other games, but it could come down to me just analising most of my Top 10 list xD One thing to be added, is that I always get hit more when I revisit any work. I think I could count on fingers of one hand times I cried while watching/playing a work of fiction for the first time, but in different playthroughs... yeah, much more. And not even talking about all other different types of influence that fiction has on me.

View user profile

9 Re: How fiction affects us on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:55 pm

I've answered similar questions to this one a couple of times in the past. What comes to mind immediately are my two favorite games of all time: Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. The former has an incredibly emotional final stretch, and the entirety of the latter is just a huge nostalgia blast, especially act 4. However, I like that you mentioned fiction specifically. One thing I haven't mentioned in a thread like this yet is one of my favorite moments of any TV show, if not my favorite.

It's from Star Trek: The Next Generation. I'm talking about this part specifically (you can enable audio in the bottom left hand corner, btw.).

See, I personally am strongly convinced that there is no such thing as a soul or the supernatural and that we are entirely one with the natural universe, as is everything else. I believe that intelligent, self-aware forms fo life, like ourselves, can come about in the most diverse ways, because there is no supernatural requirement outside of the natural universe. That is the beauty of life. We're connected to everyone and everything, because we're simply the current state of an ever-changing flux of material. We are the universe. And Picard's speech in Measure of a Man is a brilliant manifestation of the consequences of this idea. It really made me tear up, and it made me realize what potential science-fiction has, how special it is. Whoever wrote this particular episode is the most beautiful person in the world.

Oh yeah, and because it's somewhat related to that, I also want to give a shoutout to this 24 minute song from the latest Nightwish album (featuring evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins). It's simply awe-inspiring:

Also credit to the editor this video, it fits really well.

View user profile

10 Re: How fiction affects us on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:21 am

Too many things from Planescape: Torment. [Spoilers] You really do get to know Dakkon, Morte, and Annah very well by the end of the game and they've felt the most like real people, rather than mere characters in a game, than any others in all my years. To this day Annah is the only convincing player romance I've experienced in an RPG; which makes it all the more tormenting watching them die in the Fortress of regrets, even more so when they all seem loyal enough to you to face their deaths hopefully; yes, you do get the chance to resurrect them, but you must once more say goodbye to them as you commit yourself to re-entering and endless war, which in all likelihood will end for you in a inglorious and forgotten death.

[still spoilers]
Zelos's death in Symphonia does add a tragic dimension to what initially seemed to be a frivolous character, and made me sad for the passing of a man I never thought I would like, not to mention one who had just betrayed me. I still can't play the game version were he lives; it robs the story of too much pathos; it would be like watching a version of King Lear with a happy ending where Lear and Cordelia survive. (A version which does exist, re-written by a later author, which was extremely popular in the 18th century.)

Any of the scenes in Baten Kaitos Origins using Le Ali Del Principio, particularly the final battle. In fact a lot of BKO.

View user profile

11 Re: How fiction affects us on Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:43 am

The way the narration was voiced, which the player hears during gameplay and while they are looking at manuscript pages, kinda inspired my own voice in my writing, though I don't really write anything (except for roleplaying, but those are hard to take beyond "my character does this, feels this etc"). I mean I know I want to...

Episodes 2, 3, 4, and 5 of The Walking Dead by Telltale, and every episode of their sequel, S2. People die in that series, it gets me almost every time. Telltale's portrayal of Bigby Wolf in his personal life in Wolf Among us. Just a few elements here and there, and some music, that resonated with me at the time. Rodrick Forrester's development and 'journey' in their own Game of Thrones game. A lot of what Telltale does, really. Even Minecraft Story Mode.

View user profile

12 Re: How fiction affects us on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:04 pm

The last chapter of Winnie the Pooh.

I didn't become aware of Milne's original stories until I was 19. I grew up with Disney's bastardization and the setting had a special significance to me, so as soon as I learned of their existence I went and found both books uploaded on a Russian website. I was immediately enchanted by their charm and wit and proceeded to read one chapter a night, like a bedtime story (with Little Planet looping in the background; it just seemed fitting somehow). And believe it or not, it was always hard to resist continuing to the next chapter. It was a strange sort of meditative experience that just hit me the right way at that point in my life. Then came the last chapter. I love endings. I'd been hoping for some kind of meaningful conclusion but not expecting much from such a whimsical and lighthearted children's book. And WOW did it deliver. After I finished I think I sat there for over 3 hours just reflecting, enraptured in that moment and all it meant to me, that mixture of nostalgia, melancholy, and the promise of youth - not at all sad as I've heard some people find it, but just...one of those profound mountaintop moments when you see things from a broader perspective and marvel at creation, a kind of zen experience. It was awesome. I would love to see an animated version of it that's faithful to the book (the little 2 minute adaptation Disney put at the end of their first movie was an utter travesty).

Then someone wrote a third book that takes place after the second and RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER.
(it's actually pretty well done, it's just...why?)

The ending of Phantom of the Opera always gets me (live at the Royal Albert Hall; I've never seen the movie version). Cats too, actually. I can't think of many games. I remember the ending of FF5 striking a cord, but I don't remember how.

DeutscheKind wrote:Naruto
Naruto is very formulaic, but it is the absolute master of that formula. It knows exactly how to make you feel sad, angry, excited, stunned, and awesome, and it knows what order to employ those feelings in for maximum impact. For anyone into fighting dramas, it's one heck of an emotional trip. I've never seen Shippuden though. Probably never will.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum