» It's not easy to register the Forum
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:59 am by Psychrolusia

» Star Wars Rebels
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:53 am by Nerdman3000

» To Arch, (and anyone else): Some Graham Greene
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 pm by Reddbane

» Thoughts on The Lost Jedi
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Community Movie Night Megathread (every Saturday at 2:00 PM EST)
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 am by RorytheRomulan

» The Last Jedi - 2 viewings - Not a fan
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:52 pm by K

» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Black Scale
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nintendo Switch Announced

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Nintendo Switch Announced on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:18 pm

View user profile

2 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Notice how they don't use both screens at the same time, I guess they scrapped that concept. I wonder if it's backwards compatible anyway.

And a game from from 2011 is a weird choice to advertise a new system, even if it's a remaster.

View user profile

3 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:17 pm

based on the footage in the video, I hope Nintendo is serious about competitive gaming. To show scenario set in an arena and the heavily restrict competitive game would make no sense.

View user profile

4 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:57 pm

Love the concept, and I agree showing Skyrim remastered is an odd choice Fallout 4 would of been better(if beth is making FO4 for it).

View user profile

5 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Scattered thoughts:

-Not the name I would've gone with. When I hear "let's play with the Switch" I might think of one of these.

-There appear to be no controller ports on the dock. On the left side is the HDMI and what's presumably a power port (why would you put your wires on the side?!), and there's nothing on the right. This suggests that all controllers will be wireless. Competitive players of fighting games will not be happy with.

-That brings up another question: how do you recharge the pro controller?

-Memory appears to be micro-sd, while games are on non-standard 5-pin flash cards. I wonder if the data transfer rate is better than SD.

-A proper 3D Mario AND an open world Zelda at launch?! Sold!

-As Luslanz alludes to, the fact that you have to put the tablet into the dock to play on the big screen suggests that the tablet is not a touch screen (and we see no use of touch features in the trailer). This would mean that it's not compatible with WiiU games unless either 1) it's compatible with the WiiU gamepad or 2) you can use a 3DS or a yet-unannounced handheld as a controller.

-I refuse to call them Joy-Cons. They're remotes.

-Those little remotes look uncomfortable to use as controllers. I doubt that configuration will see much use.

-Partnered with Unity, so hopefully it'll be easier to code for than the WiiU was. The large list of partners seems to suggest as much.

-Maintaining regular performance on the tablet must involve some downstepping of the graphics. I wonder if developers are expected to handle this their own way, or if the system does it in a uniform way for all games.

-There's a rumor going around that it'll be region free. We can hope!

-Other than the use of cards instead of CDs, there is no new technology on this thing. The gimmick is that it's portable. So we should be safe from a sudden influx of gimmick games.

Overall, I have to give them credit. They've chosen the correct path. Instead of half trying to compete with PC graphics, they've chosen convenience and portability. The tablet is basically what the WiiU gamepad should've been, except it lacks a touchscreen. That will save some money, but it prevents easy backwards capability and it was a feature that some games made good use of. I'm ok with losing it, and I'm glad that the screen is no longer part of the controller in console mode. The gamepad was just too bulky.

I suspect that there's a handheld component that we haven't been shown yet. Maybe not a smartphone knockoff like I thought earlier, but something pocket sized that will serve as both the new handheld system and a controller option for the Switch. It seems like such a no-brainer at this point that I'd be surprised if they didn't. Maybe they're waiting to announce it to prevent 3DS sales from dropping. They might be expecting some Christmas purchases with the new Pokemon games out.

View user profile

6 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:03 am

I think the pro controller might plug into the top of the tablet? Not sure.

I was talking more about the lack of dual screen, but you're right, there's no touchscreen, and no motion controls either for that matter :/

Meh, the Wii U also had a long list of developers committed to it at launch, they said it was easy to develop for too (and lol at Konami on that list.) If the system is not technically on par with the Xbone and PS4 I don't think we'll see a lot 3rd party support.

View user profile

7 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 am

input delay on wireless controllers can match that of wired or in some cases can be better(the xbox 360 controller updates faster then most wired controllers for example)

View user profile

8 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:51 am

IGN got a comment from Nintendo confirming Amiibo support and they mention that the dock is just a box to port the display to the TV.

The IGN Article:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

View user profile

9 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:56 pm

Luslanz wrote:no motion controls either for that matter
We don't see any use of them, but I suspect the remotes have gyros, allowing them to function like the Wii's nunchaku setup. If so then the Pro controller should theoretically have one too.

ZeroCool wrote:input delay on wireless controllers can match that of wired or in some cases can be better(the xbox 360 controller updates faster then most wired controllers for example)
That's pretty astounding...I still hate wireless though. Damn batteries everywhere. We need that lithium for other things! Like H-bombs!

IlyriaPrime wrote:the dock is just a box to port the display to the TV.
No way. That huge piece of plastic is not just a charging port with an HDMI out. Their exact statement is "The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system." The providing output part could include a processor that allows for higher res output, more use of texture and lighting effects, etc. I would be stunned if that weren't the case.

View user profile

10 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Why would it need a second processor in the dock?

View user profile

11 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:25 pm

It's expected that Nintendo will continue to be on the low end of the hardware spectrum, but they have to at least be in the ballpark if they expect to get any third party support. Now I'm not a hardware guy, but could they possibly fit enough power into that handheld to run modern games? What's the most powerful portable out today? An iPad Pro runs 2.24 GHz with 4GB of RAM. The Nvidia Shield portable was about the same. Granted, the Switch is thicker than a tablet and bigger than a typical handheld, but I still can't imagine something that size being able to run anything more intensive than, at absolute best, a WiiU game, with acceptable performance and without melting. If it's going to have better specs than the WiiU had, either the dock has got to be doing some of the work or technology has advanced much more than I realized in the last few years (it could explain the $400 price - making tech smaller is always more expensive).

View user profile

12 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:56 pm

switch runs off a modified Nvidia Tegra X1 chip which will put it around the same as the ps4(rumored a bit more) in terms of GPU power

View user profile

13 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:27 pm

I was actually just looking at the X1, since the Nvidia Shield used a Tegra 4.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

256 core GPU and 4 core CPU. No other numbers, at least that I understand, but it says it can handle 4K display so that's promising. Still, if they managed to get even the equivalent of an Xbox 360 game to run stably on a handheld, I'd be blown away.

View user profile

14 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:36 pm

The Switch won't even be close in power to the PS4 or Xbox1. We know that the prerelease system that was sent to game devs had an X1 but I am hoping the final release will have the more powerful X2 instead. Even with the X2, while it would have twice the power of the WiiU and 3 times the 360, it would have less than half the power of the PS4.

View user profile

15 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:05 am

2Big_D wrote:The Switch won't even be close in power to the PS4 or Xbox1. We know that the prerelease system that was sent to game devs had an X1 but I am hoping the final release will have the more powerful X2 instead. Even with the X2, while it would have twice the power of the WiiU and 3 times the 360, it would have less than half the power of the PS4.

"Nvidia's GPUs have traditionally had lower raw compute performance (measured in tflops) when compared to AMD GPUs of comparable real-world game performance. I suspect that while the Nintendo switch console will be using only 256 Pascal-based CUDA cores rated @ 0.750 Tflops of FP32 compute perf, that that will not be an enourmous problem for the device. It may just fall behind the Xbox One in terms of perf, but it would still be very, very close. However, I might still believe the rumours that say it's on par with the Xbox One just because of the fact that Nvidia GPUs have the same real world perf in games to AMD GPUs with higher raw compute numbers. Add to that the fact that the AMD GPUs in the PS4 and Xbox One are running on old GCN v1.1 architecture from 2012ish, which lag far behind Pascal in terms of technology, features and clock speeds (which isn't solely important for tflops but also matters when talkiing about render back end performance and etc..), that leads me to believe that the Nintendo Switch will fair just as well as the Xbox One with regards to modern game titles."

quoted from someone I trust when it comes to hardware but no real specs have been released so it is very much wait and see. Personaly I don't think Nintendo needs to directly compete with either MS or Sony but it would be pretty damn cool play play some of the AAA titles on the road.

View user profile

16 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:13 pm

I think you may have misunderstood my intentions. I don't think that it is a bad thing for the Switch to have lower specs than the other consoles. Quite the opposite, this is the first non-handheld console from Nintendo since the N64 came out 20 years ago that I have had genuine interest in buying. I only wanted to temper what may be some over expectations of the Switches performance that may not come to be true. After all, it was very recently that we saw just how too much hype can cause a lot of disappointment with the release of No Man's Sky and I am sure that nobody wants a repeat of that.

View user profile

17 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Have we gotten a look at the bottom of the handheld yet? It really needs to be chargeable via standard USB. Then all of the means we have of recharging phones and tablets would be available and it wouldn't be as bad if the battery life weren't great. Even a proprietary AC adapter would at least allow you to play in another room while the TV was in use. Making the dock the only way to charge it would be a huge detriment.

View user profile

18 Re: Nintendo Switch Announced on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:23 pm

It does appear to have a usb port at the bottom.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum