Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Some interesting thing with Star Trek Discovery
Today at 3:23 am by ZeroCool

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Yesterday at 5:41 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

You are not connected. Please login or register

2016 Game of the Year Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:31 am

Here's the current list of game of the year caliber games that are on PC:

• Pony Island
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • XCOM 2
  • Firewatch
  • Street Fighter V
  • Stardew Valley
  • Dark Souls III
  • Stellaris
  • Doom
  • Overwatch
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Inside
  • Fallout Shelter
  • Batman: The Telltale Series
  • Overcooked
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location
  • Battlefield 1
  • Civilization VI
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
  • Titanfall 2
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim — Special Edition
  • Owlboy
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Tyranny
  • Dishonored 2
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine
  • I Am Setsuna

I do not own any new consoles so any 3DS, Wii U, PS4 and XBONE exclusive games that you think have GotY potential should be submitted so that a full list can be complied. Here's the 6 console/handheld exclusive games I know of that can be in the conversation:

• Pokemon Go
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash
  • Pokémon Sun and Moon
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • The Last Guardian

View user profile

2 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:04 am

ok so to start with i disagree with Skyrim been on the list yes its a good game but its pritty much a re-release they say remaster but on PC its looked better then that for years, and under the same rule i have to say Witcher 3 is also not in the running, its a great game i love it and its a shame that this is the last story that Geralt of Rivia will be the lead in but blood and wine is a DLC (granted one thats bigger then some full games but a DLC nonetheless) and i dont think a DLC should be in the running for game of the year.

now that said lets have a look at the rest, now a lot of them i cant comment on a lot of the game as i haven't played a lot of them because of a lack of both time and money, but i have seen them played if i haven't gotten to play them myself.

so first Games i haven't played or avoided watching them because i intend to play them and don't want them spoiled or i just don't like them.

XCOM 2
Batman: The Telltale Series
Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location (i have no interest in this style of game but i find the story interesting)
Battlefield 1 (no interest)
I Am Setsuna
Tyranny
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

all the other games

Fallout Shelter : while a fun diversion i don't count it as a full game even now after all the updates (i haven't played it on PC mind you)

Dead by Daylight : has an interesting idea but last i heard from it is was buggy as hell and the killer was far too easy to avoid (this was months ago mind you)

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided : now i haven't finished this yet but its coming off as more of the same that we got from HR and i really liked HR so thats a good thing and its fixed some of the problems that the first one had with the outsourcing of the boss fights, then we have the downside of the P2W that got tacked onto the main game dose it make the game worse no likely it seams to have not made an impact atall but if i was scoring it it would lower the marks.

Overwatch : Overwatch Overwatch Overwatch i dont know, i mean its a good game BUT i don't think it does enough to get game of the year maybe if they had made the rest of Titan to go with the FPS.

Dishonored 2 : i want to give you GOTY but you just had to mess it up on PC didnt you.

Stardew Valley : i just didnt like it but that's because something about it gives me a headache so i was never able to get into it.

Stellaris and Civilization VI : so i lumped these two together as from what i have seen and from what i have played they are very much the same game at least in my mind there not bad games but there not Great.

so we come to the last few games and as im looking at them (i started to think this when i got to Dishonored 2) im thinking that Doom may be the GOTY, its down to Dark souls or Doom and i think that Dark souls difficulty is what stops it from been GOTY i mean when it is standard gameplay from the game to cheese you that's a mark against it to me.

yes i liked Darkest Dungeon and Firewatch but DD gets repetitive too fast and FW is a nicely written walking sim when you boil them down.

so in my Mind its DOOM!!! that takes the PC GOTY for 2016

honorable mentions to WOW Legion and FF14 Heavensward there not on the list for the same reason i disagreed with witcher 3 and Skyrim, yes there fun to play but there expansion to a older game with wow a really old game.

View user profile

3 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:16 am

Thought I'd borrow this thread because I've been thinking about doing a community vote alongside my own deliberations. Anyone interested?

4 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:19 am

ied vote but i have pritty much laid out my mind already Very Happy

View user profile

5 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:08 pm

To help people for some games that came out this year, here's a list.

Doom 4
Minecraft Story Mode
Homeworld Deserts of Kharak
I Am Setsuna
Stardew Valley
Stellaris
Star Fox Zero
Kirby Planet Robobot
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Metroid Prime Federation Force
Master of Orion Conquer the Stars
Elder Scrolls Legends
Paper Mario Color Splash
Civilization VI
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
X-COM 2
Tyranny
Dishonored 2
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Final Fantasy XV
Mario & Luigi Paper Jam
Ratchet & Clank
Titanfall 2
Battlefield 1
Watch Dogs 2
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Bravely Second
Total War Warhammer
Mafia 3
Gears of War 4
The Last Guardian
Overwatch
Dragon Quest VII 3DS
Mighty No. 9
Final Fantasy Explorers
No Man's Sky

6 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:32 pm

The Lorerunner wrote:Thought I'd borrow this thread because I've been thinking about doing a community vote alongside my own deliberations. Anyone interested?
That would be neat. I haven't played any of this year's games, so I wouldn't participate, but I think it's a good idea.

View user profile

7 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Pokemon and Stardew Valley are my two choices. If I had to pick one, it would definitely go to Stardew Valley.

View user profile

8 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:03 pm

Frieza2000 wrote:
The Lorerunner wrote:Thought I'd borrow this thread because I've been thinking about doing a community vote alongside my own deliberations. Anyone interested?
That would be neat. I haven't played any of this year's games, so I wouldn't participate, but I think it's a good idea.

i think that you can still make a judgement call without playing a game as long as you know enough about it and have seen at least some of it been played, case in point my call on DooM (4) been the GOTY i haven't played it myself but i have seen it been played and have looked at it long enough that i can make a call on it even if it's not really a game i would play, this is also why darksouls 3 was so close to getting the top spot and there is no way i want to punch myself in the face that much.

as for the extension of the list, well looking at the list of games that came out on console only i don't think it changes my list much, yes stuff like uncharted 4 is good but to me it doesn't do enough new stuff to elevate itself to GOTY status.

View user profile

9 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:14 pm

X-COM 2, mostly because of the mod support not the actual base game.

View user profile

10 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:26 pm

It's been an interesting year. A few games I really looked forward to ended up being more 2017 things, but still some really enjoyable games. A community vote sounds like a fun idea.

Surprisingly I'd probably give a vote to Pokemon Sun/Moon. I didn't expect going into this year that a Pokemon game would be one of my favorites for the year, but I really have enjoyed it. Would also give some consideration to XCOM 2 and Overwatch.

View user profile http://www.anime-evo.net

11 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:47 pm

I think only two games could quality for me and both could be seen as stretch.
Rise of the Tomb Raider - technically came out on Xbox devices last year, but PC version I played was released this year. As good the game is, I wouldn't give it top spot because for Tomb Raider game, it lacks that certains something which made classic Tomb Raider games unique. I'm tempted to write full review of the game, if you would be interested, because it is interesting subject to dissect, and cannot be basically just labelled a good or bad game in my opinion.
Top spot I'd give to... Witcher 3 Blood and Wine. I know, I know, it is just the expansion not the full game but, hear me out. As the level of content in this expansion rivals many full releases, game mechanics are touched up and expanded, new, completely separate open world location ins introduced and the story is completely unrelated to main plot of the base game, it is not that hard to start seeing Blood and Wine as de facto small Witcher 4.

View user profile

12 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:58 pm

SzalonyChemik wrote:As the level of content in this expansion rivals many full releases, game mechanics are touched up and expanded, new, completely separate open world location ins introduced and the story is completely unrelated to main plot of the base game, it is not that hard to start seeing Blood and Wine as de facto small Witcher 4.

It really feels like a tiny witcher 4. An end to Geralt's adventures and a well deserved one at that.

I'd give this year GoTY to Doom. While I sing the praise of Witcher 3 I think that Doom... Doom brought back real FPS into the industry. None of this on rails, 99% script content boring singleplayer gameplay of CoD or BF. None of the hellhole that Duke Nuke Him was. Just pure unbridled fun. I love the Witcher, I replayed it on lowest graphics settings with like 10 fps gameplay and I can't even run Doom but from everything that I've seen I think I'd love Doom atleast as much as I love W3.

View user profile

13 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:01 pm

One game that's definitely still missing is Fire Emblem Fates.

I also agree with permeus in that rereleases and expansions shouldn't count (maybe make a separate category for DLC/Expansions).

An exception would of course be fully fledged remakes like Dragon Quest VII, so that's okay.

As for categories, I'd say one for each genre (or group of genres if there aren't enough entries otherwise) plus categories for best music, story, art direction, multiplayer. And then the big one, of course. What I wouldn't want is a seperation of GOTY and best handheld/mobile game, like at the Game Awards. I think handheld titles should have the potential to win GOTY as well.

View user profile

14 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:50 pm

Here are some ideas for categories:

Most Buggy Game

Most Over-hyped Game

Most Improved Sequel

Best First Entry in a Possible Franchise

Most Likely to Kill a Franchise

Most Expectations Defied

Most Surprisingly Good Game

Best Conclusion to a Long Franchise (obviously Uncharted 4 =P)

Most Insulting Game

Most Unnecessary Sequel

Best Warhammer Game

Here are some Best Character Catagories:

Best Hair

Best Overlord

Most Hated Mascot

Biggest Bro

Coolest Sis

Crazy Crazy

Most Useless Party Member

Best Romance

Worst Romance

Most Stupid Weapon

Biggest Weapon

Edgelord

Least Child Friendly Background

Most Mismatched Wardrobe

Best Bot/Cyborg

View user profile

15 2016 GOTY on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Final fantasy 15 probably is but for me it's dragon ball xenoverse 2 if your a db fan it's basically the best game in a long time so if I wasn't as much of a fan of db it would be ff15 dark souls 3 disappointed me so much but what really wins for me is oblivion i replay every year and like it more every time.

View user profile

16 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm

As far as the new DOOM goes, I love watching this game, but it is not a game for me. Too oldschool. I grew accustomed to iron sights, and while lack of them is something I'm willing to let slide, the lack of reloading, while obviously improving fluidity of the gameplay, is a step too far for my personal taste.

View user profile

17 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:34 pm

permeus wrote:i think that you can still make a judgement call without playing a game as long as you know enough about it and have seen at least some of it been played

I guess that works. I'd probably give it to Doom then, though I'm tempted to go with Stardew for the replayability and creative new twists on an old idea (and just because I like that kind of game and it's the one I'm most tempted to play). FF15 loses points for releasing in a state that I'd consider unfinished, at least from what I've heard from Jim Sterling. If they needed to release something this year to replenish finances, I'd rather have seen it done episodically like FF7, not patching story content after the fact. We'll see how that turns out.

Oh, you know what? There WAS a 2016 game I played, and I really liked it. The Witness!

...am I banned?

EDIT: Actually, there's another one missing from the list: Obduction. I love me my Myst games. I won't be playing it until next year though, and I don't want to spoil anything about it at all, so I can't really vote for it.

View user profile

18 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:02 pm

I think I am gonna vote Tyranny.

As for reasons why? Hmm.... To sum it up, it has given me some KOTOR 2 feels.

View user profile

19 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Well, We could add catagory of "The Most Bland game of the year".

View user profile

20 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Well I guess I should also give my GOTY as well.

If I had a 3DS my 2016 game would definitely be Pokemon Sun&Moon. So then it came down to 3 games: XCOM 2, Civilization VI and Overwatch.

Each game has gained my respect, the second they were released.

XCom is my itch. It's my stress relief, and gain! And the new game is amazing. It gets even better with mods. The way they improved every single detail from EU and EW is just a masterpiece of game development.

Civilization, well Civ this year for me was interesting. Before the game was released, I started watching Youtube videos of the game and seeing how good it was made me want the game instantly. And the chance that I couldn't play the game in my country had me devastated. I wanted to play the game so bad that I kept researching different ways to buy the game and check whether it would work or not. And the best thing is, it delivered! The different mechanics, the graphics, the music. Only thing missing for me is a Turkic Civ which I can live without.

Overwatch, I've been cold on FPS games for a long while and this game made me remember why I loved FPS' in the first place. The characters are unique and fun. Not just in the way they look but also in the way that they play.

At the end I have to go with XCom 2. Modding is what I love in every game and just with the different mods the game is amazing for me. I can see myself stop playing Overwatch or Civilization, but I can't stop missing 90% shots in Xcom. And that, even though that sounds weird, is why XCom 2 is my game of the year.

View user profile

21 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:15 pm

The ones I'd add that are not already on the list:

Rythem Heaven/Paradise Ultra Mix - It has plenty of new content alongside the old
The Witness - Unique in every way. Something like this doesn't come often.
Crush Crush - Of the Idle Clicker Genre, certainly my fav this year.
Picross 3D Part 2 - Speaks for itself, is awesome.
Grim Dawn  - Diablo of the Year for sure.
Marvel Heroes 2016 - Mainly here for the 2016 moniker admittedly, but remains fun. Far more changes coming next year.
King of Fighters XIV - Self Explanatory
Stephen's Sausage Roll - Recommended by Blow of Braid/Witness fame. A puzzle game you may not expect much of but therein lies the surprise.

If I think of more, I'll certainly post again. Cheers

View user profile

22 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:24 pm

I have 1 game to add doubt many in this community would give it much chance Smile

Forza Horizon 3

In my opinion best racing game in along time. Some might argue for Mario Kart or something like that but I myself do not really enjoy Mario Kart(other then the snes original) or its many clones.

View user profile

23 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:41 pm

The games I'd pick are already here, but I'm definitely interested in participating in this.

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ZsvZWHyOVhATBhVKT-DWw

24 Re: 2016 Game of the Year Discussion on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:07 pm

so a game that wasn't on the list that i think is worth a shot at the GOTY title is oxenfree i don't know if it can beat doom and darkSouls 3 but its probaly in my top 10 of the year.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum