» Turn 6-1069
Yesterday at 11:30 pm by Onyx Aurelius

» Some interesting thing with Star Trek Discovery
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 am by ZeroCool

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

You are not connected. Please login or register

Top 10 Movies of 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Top 10 Movies of 2016 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:13 pm

Well, it's that time of year again. Just like last year I've gone back and determined my top 10 films of the year in the hopes of housing a discussion on this topic. This year more than most, peoples' lists will range wildly so I'm curious how that will turn out.

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ZsvZWHyOVhATBhVKT-DWw

2 Re: Top 10 Movies of 2016 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Most of the movies in your list I haven't seen. Actually I've only seen 6 movies that were released this year, and that's a pretty high number for me even.

So I'm gonna rank them from least favorite to favorite.

#06: Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV - 4/10
This was a pretty bad movie, in my opinion. It's nowhere near as good as the game. There is just too much going on with characters that we know way too little about. The CG is nice, there are some nice action scenes, but the story and characters were pretty forgettable.

#05: Don't Breathe - 5/10
An interesting concept for a horror movie, but rather bland execution. Too stereotypical in some ways, not tense enough when it needs to be sometimes, and it gets downright goofy and disgusting by the end. But it has an interesting take on the villain regardless and some scenes, especially towards the beginning, are well done.

#04: Warcraft - 7/10
This was a pretty good movie. I liked the conflict between the two factions and how they depicted good and bad guys on both sides. There is some good character development even and good action. The one huge issue with the movie is that the plot advances too fast and not in enough detail. It's similar to Kingsglaive in that sense, only that the characters are way better.

#03: Zootopia - 8/10
This movie was a lot of fun. It was a nice adventure with a bit of a detective story feeling to it and some nice twists. The two main characters absolutely nail it as well. I feel like the message was hammered in a bit too obviously and too frequently, but otherwise I really enjoyed Zootopia. I like its take on our real world inhabited by animals a lot.

#02: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 8.5/10
I just saw this movie today and liked it a lot. The story is really well written, the directing is top notch, especially towards the end - very good stuff. The movie has one issue in the form of the characters. There are just too many of them and not enough characterization per role. This movie could have worked with only 3 or 4 main characters. The rest felt unnecessary and disconnected from the plot. At the same time the characters that were really needed felt underdeveloped. But I'm willing to let this slide, because the story is about something bigger than these characters, and I loved how aware of that everyone on the team was. Great visuals, great action, great directing, great setpieces, the new tone worked well, very good main antagonist, too.

#01: Kubo and the Two Strings - 9,5/10
This movie came out of nowhere and blew me away. Such an amazing tale full of imagination and love, along with a wonderfully beatiful and beautifully told message, while still having some grit and darker elements to it - I just absolutely loved it. I loved every character, I loved the badass fighting scenes and overall animation quality, I loved the music, I loved the world, I loved the humor (for the most part), I loved how the exposition was done, I loved the voice acting, it's just great. There's not much more you can want from a kids-friendly string puppet movie that appeals to adults as well. This is going right into my all-time Top 20.

View user profile

3 Re: Top 10 Movies of 2016 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Unfortunately I don't see much from the realm of animation. There have been a few over the years that have caught my attention, but as time goes by I find myself missing more and more of them. I can definitely say though that Kubo was one such movie. Hopefully I'll get the chance to see it some day.

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ZsvZWHyOVhATBhVKT-DWw

4 Re: Top 10 Movies of 2016 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:59 am

Seen well over 40 movies in cinemas this year (did a top and bottom 20 list), but as far as my top ten go, they're:

10: Hunt for the Wilderpeople
9: 10 Cloverfield Lane
8: Hell or High Water
7: Arrival
6: The Nice Guys
5: The Revenant*
4: Eye in the Sky
3: Hacksaw Ridge
2: Zootopia
1: The Fencer

*This is a 2016 movie for me as it was released in 2016 over here, whereas for most it was in 2015. If it's disqualified, move every film down, and give the #10 spot to Jason Bourne.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum