Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

» Bound by the Past
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

Questions & Rules

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:24 am

Basic Rules

Rule 0: We're all here to have fun. This rule should be self explanatory; in the end this is about people having fun with each other. While infighting and backbiting are allowed (and even encouraged), ultimately keeping real drama or raging arguments or screaming fits out of the game is mandatory. Debate and reasonable arguments, and all that. There's a reason this is Rule 0, for it trumps all other rules.

Rule 1: GM's word is Law. Now, I lay this on hard as a warning to anyone who hasn't played under me as their DM/GM/Ref before, because not every GM plays this way. But if I rule something, and it contradicts the rules of a book or whatnot, and you point it out, and I stand by my ruling; then my ruling is what goes, not the book. Now, hopefully that doesn't scare anyone off; I almost never have to enforce this rule, and in fact it's been literally over a year since I've last had to, but again I like to ensure people know about it up front.

Rule 2: Religion will not play a factor in these games. To explain what I mean a bit better, I'm referring to organized religion, or Church States. Anyone who's played political games before (either in PnP, real life, or video games like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis) knows that Church States function as another mechanic of politics and, ultimately, nothing more. While there are some genuine possibilities that stem from that, ultimately after a lot of thought I decided to just forgo those in hopes of avoiding any entanglements, unintentional real life politics, and otherwise drama in the game. See Rule 0.

Rule 3: No modern controversial / hot button topics. This, if you're paying attention, is the same rule I have on my show in general (except around Halloween). To be more specific, what I mean here is no events or discussions of things that are, right now, hot button topics that get people riled up and angry at each other will be present in events or scenarios that I bring up, nor tolerated (within reason) amongst the players. There are plenty of other, difficult, hard-to-decide and no-right-answer issues that can be addressed without resorting to things that tend to make reasonable people turn into monkeys who fling poo at each other. See Rule 0, again.

Rule 4: No crossing the line. I know, the line is different for everyone, so let's set some basic ground rules; this is not Game of Thrones. If you want to murder-rape someone in front of their child, you have crossed it. No molestation, no twisted perversions, nothing of that sort. You can easily scandelize and blackmail your fellow politicians without having to resort to the lowest common denominator.

Last edited by The Lorerunner on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

2 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:13 am

1. Will there be elections after a certain number of turns that decide who is in power based of a sort of success rating?.

2. I assume there will be many party's (unlike in real life) so will their be Senate elections to decide the balance of power depending on the success of the current government?

3. Will there be an election in certain areas that pits players against each other? or will everyone sort of get there own area to deal with?.

4. Are there any different anomaly's in the world other than a new nation?.

5. As you are basically the world can you manipulate other nations such as the US to project your power in the nation and perhaps turn the nation into a puppet state of the nation that supports you?.

6. Should we sort of change our usernames to have your in game name in brackets so for me it would be Bradley2000 (Sen. Bradley)

Just a few of the things I could think of. Thanks for doing this it sounds really cool.

View user profile

3 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:05 am

To clarify:

1a) We are going to be normal 'Senators' in the government of 1 nation, or do we all start off as the head of a certain department?
Just curious how specific our roles are at the start.

1b) What player stats if any are in this system?

2) How detailed is the inner workings of the nation? (Is it dependent on having many players?)
I imagine a lot of that will be simplified so we don't need to deal with a whole tax code...

View user profile

4 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:10 am

im going thught the video a 2nd time just in case i miss something but here's what i have Qs wise

1. will their be blackmail, assassins, bribery and all kinds of corrupt political BS allow and if so how far will you allow it to go?

2. can you start civil wars in your own or other countries?

3. is there stats for war assists?

4. what are the stats for the public in gen?

5. are we going to start with WMDs and if so how will that work?

6. what war crimes are on the table or not?

7. how will crime and corruption effect your nation or surrounding nations?

View user profile

5 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:31 am

Hi, I've been curious about this for a while, having heard it mentioned on the stream from time to time. I don't get on the stream as much as I'd like to and was really glad to see this on Youtube.

My Question:

Relating to roles outside the "Senate". Would it be possible to play the role of a media personality/commentator? Exercising influence indirectly by informing/influencing popular opinion?

View user profile

6 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:07 am

1) when do we start?

2)Since in real life, representation(i.e. senators) is based off of a certain province, state or district that elects their representative, will we be doing that in a similar fashion or is everyone just an independent politician?

3)a more in-depth explanation of the 'turns' system.

4)Will we be able to pass laws or amendments?

5) Last, but not least... Will we have some meager framework of a constitution of some sorts to base everything off?(i know this will be kinda hard to pull off)

p.s: I love everything you do man, thanks for doing your job Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

View user profile

7 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:23 am

bradley2000 wrote:1. Will there be elections after a certain number of turns that decide who is in power based of a sort of success rating?.
Whether or not elections occur, at all, depends on you guys. I don't determine the type of government, you will.

2. I assume there will be many party's (unlike in real life) so will their be Senate elections to decide the balance of power depending on the success of the current government?
The number of parties is, again, up to players. But the possibility of Senate Election is 100% feasible.

3. Will there be an election in certain areas that pits players against each other? or will everyone sort of get there own area to deal with?.
Not sure I understand this question.

4. Are there any different anomaly's in the world other than a new nation?.
For the Tutorial, not really. The general idea is that it's fairly accurate history riiight up until the game starts, then anything goes. So the world is still reeling from WWII.

5. As you are basically the world can you manipulate other nations such as the US to project your power in the nation and perhaps turn the nation into a puppet state of the nation that supports you?.
I could. I won't though, for reasons that would take a while to explain but I will summarize with; thanks to experience, I know this is a bad idea.

6. Should we sort of change our usernames to have your in game name in brackets so for me it would be Bradley2000 (Sen. Bradley)
As much as I know everyone loves having character names, for the sake of bookwork and ease of information everyone's character name will be their forum name.

Just a few of the things I could think of. Thanks for doing this it sounds really cool.

Adamemnon wrote:To clarify:

1a) We are going to be normal 'Senators' in the government of 1 nation, or do we all start off as the head of a certain department?
Just curious how specific our roles are at the start.
When the game starts, for reasons that will be explained in lore, you will be forming the government out of a blank sheet of paper. So... that's up to you guys really.

1b) What player stats if any are in this system?
Still doing some number balancing and crunching with this, since I'm not positive stats are helpful or not. If there are stats, they will be Funds and Clout at the least.

2) How detailed is the inner workings of the nation? (Is it dependent on having many players?)
I imagine a lot of that will be simplified so we don't need to deal with a whole tax code...
It will be fairly detailed but not super detailed; think complex boardgame level. So while there will be social groups and the like, dealing with tax code isn't something I will do. You, on the other hand, can if you want to.

artmonso wrote:im going thught the video a 2nd time just in case i miss something but here's what i have Qs wise

1. will their be blackmail, assassins, bribery and all kinds of corrupt political BS allow and if so how far will you allow it to go?
I actually mention blackmail, assassins, and bribery in the video, so yes totally allowed. The one restriction I have is that it doesn't violate Rule 0.

2. can you start civil wars in your own or other countries?
I mention this in the video too, but yes.

3. is there stats for war assists?
Yep.

4. what are the stats for the public in gen?
These will only really matter for Mayors or Governors but there will be things like productivity, happiness, output towards improvements, resources, etc.

5. are we going to start with WMDs and if so how will that work?
Nope.

6. what war crimes are on the table or not?
Anything I consider out of bounds is forbidden. The rest is fair play.

7. how will crime and corruption effect your nation or surrounding nations?
This mostly depends on you guys. I might toss events at you increasing or decreasing crime or corruption, but ultimately how the populace acts is going to depend on the players.

ProfessorTerrible wrote:Hi, I've been curious about this for a while, having heard it mentioned on the stream from time to time. I don't get on the stream as much as I'd like to and was really glad to see this on Youtube.

My Question:

Relating to roles outside the "Senate". Would it be possible to play the role of a media personality/commentator? Exercising influence indirectly by informing/influencing popular opinion?
As with all 'side' roles this depends on the number of active players; the more there are, the more inclined I am to allow people to play 'side' jobs like this.

grifenknight wrote:1) when do we start?
When we're ready.

2)Since in real life, representation(i.e. senators) is based off of a certain province, state or district that elects their representative, will we be doing that in a similar fashion or is everyone just an independent politician?
Similar to an answer further up, that's up to you guys. For the Tutorial, what type of representation you do (if any at all) will be your determination.

3)a more in-depth explanation of the 'turns' system.
Basically keeping this Turn Based is something I decided to do to help with bookkeeping on my end, instead of letting it be real time (like most political games I've played in-person in the past). So roughly one a week in real time I'll tabulate all the actual events that happen, take them into account (along with anything I'm doing as GM with other nations or random events), and then make a post for that Turn explaining the results. Then in-game time moves forward x amount (still deciding), and you guys can now react to the Turn's events.

4)Will we be able to pass laws or amendments?
Absolutely.

5) Last, but not least... Will we have some meager framework of a constitution of some sorts to base everything off?(i know this will be kinda hard to pull off)
Nope! Blank sheet of paper for the nation at the start.

p.s: I love everything you do man, thanks for doing your job Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

8 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Will there be position changes through the game, for real life example Churchill becoming prime minister after being the First Lord of Admiralty?

View user profile

9 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Esprime wrote:Will there be position changes through the game, for real life example Churchill becoming prime minister after being the First Lord of Admiralty?
As ever, fully up to the players. One player wanting to change career paths or pursue a different idea is totally up to them, all they need to do is manage to actually accomplish it (IE get the necessary support).

10 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Hey hey,

Most of the questions I head were already ask/answered but I have just a tiny bit more.
They are not really regarding the game rules but the history of our fictional country. If your will be stating these infos anyway later, then feel free to ignore me.

1)You stated that our nation will be an island in the pacific (or at least I think you did). Were we ever a colony being a British, Dutch, German... And if yes, did we achieve our independence recently or have we been on our own for the long time?

2)To what degree were we involved in WW2? Were we part of any faction and were we contributing the war in any way?

I know it is not really rules but I understood it that this was for all questions.
And to end it I just want to apologise in advance for grammar mistakes as English is not my native language.  Rolling Eyes

View user profile

11 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Alright, I think I've got a few questions ready.

1) In the video, you mentioned things like revolutions happening. In an event of this, is it possible for some government officials (players) to join the revolution? Particularly if they were populists.

2) You mentioned in the video that assignations would be up to the player being assassinated. Can players create an RNG system they want to use for themselves and have you do it automatically? For example, I would say something like "Based on a d20: 1 - 5: I die, 6 - 10: coma, 11 - 15: assassination attempt fails and I don't even know it happened, 16 - 19: assassination fails, but I know of an attempt, 20: it fails and I know who did it." This would be particularly interesting as sometimes the player wouldn't even know there was an attempt on their life. Of course, perhaps modifiers based upon stats could even play a part in it.

3) You mentioned how successions could happen. Is it possible that a drawn out civil war could lead to something like 2 large function governments? Something like this could be really interesting. Especially with all the interest shown so far this seems really feasible.

4) I'm taking this one from a YouTube comment, but is it possible that you can summarize this game like you do with Primus?

I'm really excited to play this!

View user profile

12 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:14 pm

Lorinbas wrote:Hey hey,

Most of the questions I head were already ask/answered but I have just a tiny bit more.
They are not really regarding the game rules but the history of our fictional country. If your will be stating these infos anyway later, then feel free to ignore me.

1)You stated that our nation will be an island in the pacific (or at least I think you did). Were we ever a colony being a British, Dutch, German... And if yes, did we achieve our independence recently or have we been on our own for the long time?
The island was originally a Portugese colony, many many years ago, but a monastic dynasty took over and established its own lines of aristocracy.

2)To what degree were we involved in WW2? Were we part of any faction and were we contributing the war in any way?
The only real involvement is what I already detailed over in the info post.

I know it is not really rules but I understood it that this was for all questions.
And to end it I just want to apologise in advance for grammar mistakes as English is not my native language.  Rolling Eyes

MegaZeroX wrote:Alright, I think I've got a few questions ready.

1) In the video, you mentioned things like revolutions happening. In an event of this, is it possible for some government officials (players) to join the revolution? Particularly if they were populists.
Absolutely.

2) You mentioned in the video that assignations would be up to the player being assassinated. Can players create an RNG system they want to use for themselves and have you do it automatically? For example, I would say something like "Based on a d20: 1 - 5: I die, 6 - 10: coma, 11 - 15: assassination attempt fails and I don't even know it happened, 16 - 19: assassination fails, but I know of an attempt, 20: it fails and I know who did it." This would be particularly interesting as sometimes the player wouldn't even know there was an attempt on their life. Of course, perhaps modifiers based upon stats could even play a part in it.
This is, again, up to the players. Rule 0 trumps all other concepts so ultimately it's going to be a case by case basis.

3) You mentioned how successions could happen. Is it possible that a drawn out civil war could lead to something like 2 large function governments? Something like this could be really interesting. Especially with all the interest shown so far this seems really feasible.
Very possible, though that'd be something the players do, not something I do (in other words I won't force this on you).

4) I'm taking this one from a YouTube comment, but is it possible that you can summarize this game like you do with Primus?
Hadn't thought about this, but I saw that comment too, and I'm debating. We'll see how things go.

I'm really excited to play this!

13 Re: Questions & Rules on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Can i Join

View user profile

14 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:22 am

Does our land have something that would be of interest to foreign powers? In terms of natural resources or infrastructure, I mean.

Also important: What is the size of Echain in terms of land and populace? You could even just give a real place that is comparable to.

Also also important: What percentage of the people could be considered "revolutionaries"? I mean people that even if they did not actively fight the Japanese, were still sympathetic to the cause. Furthermore, did any Japanese immigrate here for any reason, leaving behind an uncomfortable loyalist faction? My understanding is that this is a pretty clear cut case of a superpower taking over a weaker nation, subjugating its people, and earning near universal scorn from them as a result of this. Basically just making sure that the majority of people are fundamentally on the same page as far as "The Japanese were bad, we got rid of them, now we need to form out own government" goes, even if they disagree on how to do that.

View user profile

15 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:29 am

Evilknightz wrote:Does our land have something that would be of interest to foreign powers? In terms of natural resources or infrastructure, I mean.
No. You have decent farmlands, mineral resources, coal and the like; enough to be self sufficient, barely, if properly managed. You will probably need imports to really thrive.

Also important: What is the size of Echain in terms of land and populace? You could even just give a real place that is comparable to.
About the size of Ireland across all the islands. We'll say 3 million people currently.

Also also important: What percentage of the people could be considered "revolutionaries"? I mean people that even if they did not actively fight the Japanese, were still sympathetic to the cause. Furthermore, did any Japanese immigrate here for any reason, leaving behind an uncomfortable loyalist faction? My understanding is that this is a pretty clear cut case of a superpower taking over a weaker nation, subjugating its people, and earning near universal scorn from them as a result of this. Basically just making sure that the majority of people are fundamentally on the same page as far as "The Japanese were bad, we got rid of them, now we need to form out own government" goes, even if they disagree on how to do that.
For the sake of the tutorial, 100% of the population were revolutionaries. No japanese immigrants.

16 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:33 am

Questions from the wrong post, moving here.
WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:Just a quick question, was our recent occupation by the Japanese our only colonial history? Or have we had other overlords before?
Not many of the history books survived the occupation, but there is no collective memory of other occupying powers.

thelewis wrote:i have a question did the revolution of Echain (from the Japanese Empire) have an backing from external forces like any different countries e.g the USSR or USA or any other Political group/faction and of course those external faction would support different revolutionary groups (every one that shared the same political ideology or where ably to exert control over them using agents or money)?
No external force deliberately aided the revolution (obviously, however, the USA had a significant hand in it).

17 What are the details of our country ? on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:53 am

Hello Arch,

What is the new country history.

1. How were we founded precisely?

2. What were the highlights of the past 50 years of the island ?

3. By percentage can you tell me what ethnicity's in population are legal citizens on the island.

3. What is our countries GDP ?

4. Whats our main imports / exports ?

Thankyou

Last edited by Infernal on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

18 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:01 am

Infernal wrote:Hello Arch,

What is the new country history.
A couple centuries ago this was a European colony, but even before the age of colonialism died down Echain had culturally, economically, and politically separated itself from the homelands. No one has thought of themselves as colonists or provincials since the 1800's.

1. How were we founded precisely?
See above.

2. What were the highlights of the past 50 years of the island ?
For the sake of the Tutorial we're keeping some things fairly simple, a proof of concept thing. So; Japanese occupation, as already described, which occurred during Japan's expansion into the Pacific, followed by the mass harvesting of local resources to help support WWII, followed by liberation. That's it.

3. By percentage can you tell me what ethnicity's are legal citizens on the island.
100% Echain citizens.

3. What is our countries GDP ?
At the moment, almost non-existent, since no functional government or real economic entities exist. It has low potential overall though (think about 3-8ish on the scale).

4. Whats our main imports / exports ?
None and none respectively. That's up to you guys to establish.

Thankyou

19 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:07 am

Just had one more question.

Can you pursue expansionist policy and annex other nations?

View user profile

20 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:19 am

bradley2000 wrote:Just had one more question.

Can you pursue expansionist policy and annex other nations?
While Echain in particular is not exactly well positioned to do this militarily, it is absolutely possible yes.

21 Final Question Liberation ? on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:33 am

Hi Arch,

I dread to ask how was the country liberated ?

Is there a UN / American / British / French presence in the island ?

View user profile

22 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:42 am

Infernal wrote:Hi Arch,

I dread to ask how was the country liberated ?

Is there a UN / American / British / French presence in the island ?
See my very first post in the government formation thread, and here's a convenient link to it, for a more detailed answer to this question. To answer the question of current foreign presence, the answer is no.

23 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Where will the official political game be at on the forums?

View user profile

24 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:53 pm

It has already started. Go check this subsection of the forum.

View user profile

25 Re: Questions & Rules on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Zeiss.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum