» Turn 6-1069
Today at 11:40 am by SilverDragonRed

» Some interesting thing with Star Trek Discovery
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 am by ZeroCool

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Public] First Echaini Senate

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1 [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm

To the honorable ladies and gentlemen of the First Echaini Senate,

I am here today to call for our first actions. Time is of the essence here, and we must move quickly in order to safeguard the nation—we rest on the center of a symbolic fulcrum, and one wrong move will either plummet us to the floor or send us skyward. If we must choose one path, I propose we choose the latter.

It is with this exigency in mind that I propose we call Mr. Karbincry to the Senate floor to a) establish the state of our currency, b) come to a sound conclusion about how much initial capital we have to work with, c) design a temporary state-of-emergency budget that is dedicated to fully funding only the necessities (military and infrastructure, for instance), d) and, finally, disburse funds to the state governments in proportion to both their needs and their populations.

I hope that we can set aside partisan politics during this first session and attempt to create a piece of emergency legislation that serves as a ballast for this nation. We are all here to advance our great nation into the next stage of its civil evolution; but, for us to do so, we must table our individual ideologies and work together, as one legislative unit, to directly help the people we represent.

I thank you for allowing me to open the Senate—now I will step aside to open the floor to you.

Last edited by Senator Bing Crosby (FoS) on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

View user profile

2 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:34 pm

As an addendum to my previous statement, I am hereby appointing my colleague, Chow Mo-Wan, to aid Mr. Karbincry as he puts together a proposal for our economic plan moving forward. Mr. Chow is a scholar and an open-minded individual who escaped China to fight against the Japanese within our country, and he will be an invaluable asset for Mr. Karbincry, should he accept his aid.

View user profile

3 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:49 pm

The Chair would like to know if the honorable Bing Crosby would like a vote put up to appoint the Director of the National Bank to sir KarbinCry?

4 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Most Honorable Chair,

Indeed, I put forward the motion to appoint Karbincry to the aforementioned position. It is my belief that he is the most capable candidate at this time, and we should be so lucky to have him.

In short, if we initiate a hand-count, my vote is a resounding Yay.

View user profile

5 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:02 pm

The Chair, upon further consideration, has decided to manually tally the votes rather than offering a poll which can be mislead or misleading. The Chair officially calls for the members of the Senate to place their votes on the matter of KarbinCry being elected Director of the National Bank.

6 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:36 pm

I see no reason to vote against KarbinCry. I say let KarbinCry prove their worth too people of Echain.

View user profile

7 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:46 pm

I say Yea

View user profile

8 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm

After some lobbying by KarbinCry, the Senators Gustavo, Lors, Dorthan, Wiles, Kauffman, and Hammons will also vote for KarbinCry as Director of the National Bank.

This puts the vote at 9 for, 1 abstained. Motion passes, and KarbinCry is formally ratified as the Director of the National Bank.

9 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Honorable Ladies and Gentlemen of the Senate,

I recognize that many of my esteemed colleagues have matters to which they must attend; and, due to these matters, many cannot be directly on the floor at this very moment. However, I am here, and I know that we cannot put off addressing the issue of Echain's instability.

Due to this pressing matter, I have drafted a bill. I know that you all will have much to say about it, but please know that I reached out to local governments; and, despite the fact that one bill will never be able to fully meet the demands of every single individual in every single region, I believe this bill, overall, will be a success should we vote to implement it. I am open to any changes you all may have.

I await your response.

Bill 001A: Rebuild the Echaini Republic Act

OOC: Let me know if anyone has trouble opening this >.<

View user profile

10 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Very interesting Mr Crosby. I will have a response ready soon.

OOC: No trouble opening it.

View user profile

11 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Mr Crosby. I do vote for this but there are a few things that are missing for me.
You'll find my full response in the following letters.

OOC: Cant post links so... WALL OF TEXT!

Mr Crosby, I believe you are on the right track and will vote yes to this.

HOWEVER. I believe there are some things missing.

Therefore I would like to have a discussion going about laws that I personally would like to see discussed upon and implemented.
These laws will, in my eyes, add to the freedom of the people of Echain.
The power vacuum that the Japanese occupation left is unimaginable.
Therefore I would state again that you are on the right track.

But how about this?

The thing I want to discuss is about the currency of Echain.
In Northport for instance the Japanese Yen is used as currency. I must stress that the yen is not the only currency used. But I think we must be clear on our national currencies and standpoints on foreign influences.
I personally find the use of the yen offensive to the people that were so oppressed by the Japanese, myself included.

The second thing I would like to see discussed is a weapon law. Are people allowed to own weapons.
If so, in what form? Are the people in this nation allowed firearms, explosives and melee weapons?
Or must there be a restriction? I personally find that every citizen of this country may have a weapon at his disposal FOR SELF DEFENSE ONLY. Let me make this very clear.

Also I would like to ask you Mr Crosby. These “private businesses” Will these be foreigners?
Or do we recruit these locally?
What will the projected costs be?

These are it for now. Howeve expect more in the near future.

View user profile

12 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Sir,

First, I thank you for reading through the bill as quickly as you did—we both know how person this issue is. Allow me to address your concerns point by point.

1 The currency, once established, will be the Espada. There are a number of ways to ground the currency; however, we cannot do so without Mr. Karbincry, as he is the Director of the National Bank. Once the Espada is backed by something concrete (e.g. a commodity, etc.), we will mint and disburse the Espadas to the local governments. It should go without saying that, upon the Espada’s implementation, no other currency will be honored.

2 At this point in time, the Constitution does not explicitly state whether or not an individual can own a firearm; as such, we must default on the notion that the government cannot prevent a man from buying a weapon. Once we have averted the crisis ahead of us, we may reconvene to add gun laws to Article IV of the Constitution (the Bill of Supplementary Rights).

3 The local governments are required to provide contracts to the businesses who offer the best (you can look into the text for a concrete definition of this term) contract; the bill does not explicitly state that the business must be a domestic business. That said, we can and should add language that mandates the local governments to put dollars into domestic businesses.

View user profile

13 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Honourable Senators,

I am humbled by your decision to appoint me to the directorate of the National Bank, and to suffer my presence in these proceedings.
In my function as the Director, I will be acting solely as an expert on economy and monetary policy, and in this spirit I present my monetary plan, as well as my notes on Senator Crosby's proposed Bill.

As for my plan, as you might have heard, I intend to make Espada function as an option against Rubber. We have to back our new currency by resource of concrete value, and while we could choose precious metals, rubber has the benefit of potentially higher profit margins, at least as things stand now.
However, for this plan to work, the State has to control the flow of rubber, and hence I propose establishing Echain Rubber Trading Company, run by the National Bank and owned by the Ministry of Finance and Transportation, which will have legal monopoly on export of rubber. This company will buy rubber from individuals and companies at a reasonable price, as to not ruin these entrepreneurs, and sell it at a profit in the international market.
This way, we will actually have rubber should anyone want to exchange his Espada for it, and we will gain more funds by selling at a profit, helping our budget further.

Now, we should make it so Espada is actually more expansive way of buying rubber from ERTC, so that our bills are not bought out by foreign speculants, and we should, in the future, move away from this stabilisation, but until our economy gets on track, until it is stable and strong enough to maintain the value of Espada after its uncoupling from rubber, until that day we should root our coin in this tangible and valuable resource.

As to proposed Bill 001A, the only part I take issue with is the under-funding of Versberg and Northport. First of all, I hope we can all agree that Versberg has been disproportionally hit by the Occupation, and, secondly, raw minerals are essentially our only real exports, and thus we should invest in Northport's mines and their infrastructure, and in Versberg do the same for Kautschukverkehr (Versbergian term for rubberworks).
It can be another additional part of the stimulus, but besides financial investment, Versberg struggles with lack of available manpower, and thus I propose we also start a program of incentives for the poor from Lurem and Waltens, two fairly overpopulated areas, to move to Versberg by lending them unused governmental land for free on the condition that they use it to grow crops, or, if the land has them, sapping rubber trees; for both they'd get sufficient education and help from their neighbours, who should be paid modestly by the Treasure for their help, and the land would revert to the State should they fail to fulfil these criteria, should they engage in unlawful activity, or after 10 years, upon which they should have the option to buy the land outright at a reasonable and below-market price.

As for the concerns of Senator Bean, I believe that choosing a contractor should follow three criteria: price, quality, and local effect. This means, there should be clear bounds for price and quality, and should two competitors be in them, the one who'd put more money into Echain's economy via wages and sub-contracting, or even wholly Echaini business, would win, regardless of concrete price and concrete quality of work offered.

View user profile

14 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm

KarbinCry wrote:Honourable Senators,

As to proposed Bill 001A, the only part I take issue with is the under-funding of Versberg and Northport. First of all, I hope we can all agree that Versberg has been disproportionally hit by the Occupation, and, secondly, raw minerals are essentially our only real exports, and thus we should invest in Northport's mines and their infrastructure, and in Versberg do the same for Kautschukverkehr (Versbergian term for rubberworks).
It can be another additional part of the stimulus, but besides financial investment, Versberg struggles with lack of available manpower, and thus I propose we also start a program of incentives for the poor from Lurem and Waltens, two fairly overpopulated areas, to move to Versberg by lending them unused governmental land for free on the condition that they use it to grow crops, or, if the land has them, sapping rubber trees; for both they'd get sufficient education and help from their neighbours, who should be paid modestly by the Treasure for their help, and the land would revert to the State should they fail to fulfil these criteria, should they engage in unlawful activity, or after 10 years, upon which they should have the option to buy the land outright at a reasonable and below-market price.

Honorable Director,

You have my full trust regarding economic policy; and, should your proposal come to a vote, you will have my Yay.

As for my bill, I appreciate you taking the time to read through and respond to it. I agree that Versburg and Northport are disproportionally underfunded, both monetarily and in terms of natural resources; however, the central point of this particular bill is to appropriate funds in a such a way that ensures there will be a baseline standard of living in each region. We may, however, make a separate law that addresses the particular needs of these two regions; I argue, though, that now is not the time for this.

As for creating incentives for redistributing the demographic makeup of the country, I can potentially see such legislation working, given that the incentives are fair and feasible; but, again, this ought to be put into effect after Espadas begin to widely circulate and after each region achieves a basic standard of living.

View user profile

15 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Unfortunately, senator Crosby, the state of Versberg and its rubber farms is so bad it needs immediate attention. While, out of the two options - precious metals or rubber - rubber is preferable, it still needs considerable investment for our output to be big enough to support Espada.

Alternatively, we could first start using Espada based on donations of foreign and domestic capital, and then transition to rubber once proper production is established.

View user profile

16 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:56 pm

KarbinCry wrote:Unfortunately, senator Crosby, the state of Versberg and its rubber farms is so bad it needs immediate attention. While, out of the two options - precious metals or rubber - rubber is preferable, it still needs considerable investment for our output to be big enough to support Espada.

Alternatively, we could first start using Espada based on donations of foreign and domestic capital, and then transition to rubber once proper production is established.

If we must augment the allocation of funds, how do you propose to do so while still achieving a fair balance? I think we should only change the percentages in the proposed legislation, as this is the simpler means by which to affect change in the quickest way possible.

View user profile

17 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 pm

The Bill should contain one more Article for stimulus of mining and rubber farming, which would also detail the program of incentives for the poor of other regions.
We should not be frugal right now, as saving money will only sour them - we need to invest, even at the price of indebtment, as with proper investment into our economy, we will be able to escape such debt.
Besides, certain acquaintances of mine consider donating to cause of Echain, and while for them such charity would be trivial, for us, in our situation, these funds would help immensely.

View user profile

18 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:16 pm

KarbinCry wrote:The Bill should contain one more Article for stimulus of mining and rubber farming, which would also detail the program of incentives for the poor of other regions.
We should not be frugal right now, as saving money will only sour them - we need to invest, even at the price of indebtment, as with proper investment into our economy, we will be able to escape such debt.
Besides, certain acquaintances of mine consider donating to cause of Echain, and while for them such charity would be trivial, for us, in our situation, these funds would help immensely.

Although I see your point, I cannot help but think that we will undoubtedly run into unforeseen problems during the fiscal year; this is why I have set aside 10% of the National Budget to assuage the impact of such problems. At this point in our Republic's short history, we cannot afford to operate in the black or the red, and we do not have the political power or currency to set as collateral on foreign loans.

However, I believe that we can fulfill your goals in two ways. First, we can accrue a donation fund and allocate those funds for stimulate the mining and rubber industries; second, we can add a condition to the bill that frees up five to seven percent of the surplus in the event that an unforeseen circumstance, as described in the final article of the bill, does not arise after the first two quarters; and, if yet another quarter passes without incident, we can allocate the remainder of the surplus. These funds will be funneled into incentivizing movement within the country.

I believe this is a fair compromise, and funds will begin to trickle in from the nine regions after their projects are complete. Please let me know if you find this to be acceptable.

View user profile

19 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:08 pm

I would like to propose a fairly simple bill:
1)  The national government will subsidize the collection and processing of construction materials.  

This will allow us to more easily rebuild our infrastructure as well as our ruined cities.  This will, also, allow these businesses to hire more workers and assist in our efforts against unemployment.  This is just the barebones of the bill, but I must see if the Senate is willing to incorporate it into Bill001A.

Also regarding the Bill001A,
I have discussed with my party member, Mr. Axecack, and he states that Axecack Corporation and many of his construction contacts are willing to provide their services at a discounted rate, as long as we mention Mr. Axecack.  This will allow us to rebuild and renovate the infrastructure at a much cheaper rate then before.

View user profile

20 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:35 pm

President Grifenknight wrote:I would like to propose a fairly simple bill:
1)  The national government will subsidize the collection and processing of construction materials.  

This will allow us to more easily rebuild our infrastructure as well as our ruined cities.  This will, also, allow these businesses to hire more workers and assist in our efforts against unemployment.  This is just the barebones of the bill, but I must see if the Senate is willing to incorporate it into Bill001A.

Also regarding the Bill001A,
I have discussed with my party member, Mr. Axecack, and he states that Axecack Corporation and many of his construction contacts are willing to provide their services at a discounted rate, as long as we mention Mr. Axecack.  This will allow us to rebuild and renovate the infrastructure at a much cheaper rate then before.

Mr. President,

The bill is designed to circulate Espadas into the regional governments; literally everything in the bill is, technically, a subsidy of some sort. Also, two of the articles explicitly about infrastructure. As for the independent contracts, I encourage Mr. Axecack to write proposals for the Governors, as they are the ones who will decide which contracts to use. He may set the conditions of his contract.

So, I believe my bill expresses your ideas but in different words; but, feel free to clarify your position if I've missed a point, Mr. President.

View user profile

21 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:00 am

Your bill addresses 4 points:
1) Circulating Espadas
2) Water
3) Infrastructure
4) The Military
From what I am aware, none of these points would actually subsidize the businesses that would construct the material that are required in our reconstruction. That is what I am proposing. While it may be similar to your infrastructure bill, your bill is solely on the refurbishment of our roads and bridges while mine is about the actual collection and processing of construction material that would be used in 1) our Infrastructure, 2) our cities and 3) our navy.
The bill that I am proposing would fund businesses like our domestic steel mills, lumber mills and etc.. This would, also, have many positive side effects like creating new jobs.
If i missed anything in your bills that pertain to this, then I am sorry for wasting your time.

View user profile

22 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 am

Mr. President,

My proposal places the onus on the regional governments and the private businesses to come to agreements about individual projects--inherent to this model of negotiation is a direct subsidy of a private business and a tacit subsidy of the materials with which the businesses complete said projects. As of now, the federal government does not own the raw materials needed to complete projects--the regional governments do; as such, the regional governments may directly subsidize specific natural resources or not (they are free to use their allocated funds as they see fit, as long as they adhere to the codes of conduct laid out in the bill). As for the three areas you wish to expand upon, again, the bill is designed to bolster all three (and, again, local governments can subsidize at their discretion).

Although my bill may be long, it has three primary goals: 1) circulate Espadas and establish them as the National Currency, 2) create infrastructure, military, and other jobs (and by extension lumber mill and mining jobs, which are necessary for the gathering of resources), and 3) give power to the regions to oversee the safeguarding of their specific needs. The government should not tell each Governor what is best for his or her region; rather, the federal government should allow each region to use their allocated funds in the way that best serves their local communities. Imposing direct, federal subsidies will be a tedious task, and the lowest common denominator will be served. In my model, we increase the chances of a speedy recovery in each individual region.

View user profile

23 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:18 am

Okay, I understand. I just thought that similar to the subsidies you would give to the road builders, bridge builders and businesses that would rebuild our water supplies, you could give to the businesses that construct these materials or at least give the regional governments the ability to have that as an options.
A direct, federal subsidy might be tedious, but subsidizing the foundation of our Reconstruction(i.e. the construction materials producers) might not be a bad idea. OOC: Kappa

View user profile

24 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 am

Senators of Echain
I believe that after some time of silence it is time for answers.

I would like a clear answer about this bill Mr. Crosby has proposed.
Do we accept the bill as is and make amendments later?
Or do we have to make changes to this bill to make it work as intended?

My own vote goes toward passing this bill now and make amendments or additives later.
The people of Echain need clarity and we should give them clarity now rather than later.

View user profile

25 Re: [Public] First Echaini Senate on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:54 am

I would also like to add that we should hire our own people as much as possible for these rebuild projects as to get money flowing.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum