You are not connected. Please login or register

Final Fantasy Tournament Poll

Strength or Popularity

81% 81% [ 17 ]
19% 19% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm one of those people who likes to debate things like Vader vs. Kefka vs. Wolverine. I've always felt one can deliberate on relative power levels based on opinions and presentation. But it's been brought to my attention that I'm a weirdo, so the poll is simple; if/when we do the FF Tourney, would you rather it be a standard 'who's stronger overall in terms of power skill etc.' like the current Star Wars Tournament, or would you rather it be pure popularity aka 'I like this character more than the other one'. Both are feasible, and I won't be voting as I have no opinion on the subject.

2 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:20 pm

Question: In the event of the tournament being based on strength, are bonus additional powers from each game acceptable? in the case of ff8 for instance, the GFs are the ones that give strength to the party characters, without them they're as strong as normal human military which compared to the rest of the other participants may be too much for them. and then there's characters whose whole shtick is summoning like rydia or yuna.

View user profile

3 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:21 pm

As with Star Wars, what qualifies to determine someone's strength is dependent upon the individual's perspective, which is why I encourage people to post their reasoning too. So the answer is; up to you.

4 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:39 pm

It will be interesting but I cant imagine being able to give as much justification as I can for Star Wars. im sure it'll be enjoyable so I vote yes.

View user profile

5 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:48 pm

FlowerPowerShogun wrote:It will be interesting but I cant imagine being able to give as much justification as I can for Star Wars. im sure it'll be enjoyable so I vote yes.

You might want to take a look at the poll options again. xD

Well, I personally would prefer a strengh-based tournament, I was just trying to point out that it would be a really unbalanced one in my opinion.

View user profile

6 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:07 pm

I should also point out that the tourney would likely be in 3 brackets if we did a strength one; Player characters, Non player characters, and Main villains, to help balance things a bit.

7 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:52 pm

If we were to go by popularity, there would be no doubt that FFVI would be more widely represented in the final stages of the tourney, considering the overall popularity of that game amongst this fanbase (with VII's standing being debatable, however). On the other hand, basing the tournament on strength could provide for some more diverse answers. I, for instance, think that Kuja edges both Sephiroth and Kefka out in terms of raw power. And there are plenty of heroes that surpass both Cloud and a majority of the cast from FFVI in power, even if that were only due to the relative power scales of those FFs. Others may think entirely differently, however, especially given the outcomes some of the battle scenes in Dissidia.

Strength seems to be more contestable, so that's my vote.

View user profile

8 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:00 am

I admit I was thinking about this in my head recently and, all things considered, I think I'd probably bet on Terra to win the PC contest in terms of combat potential. Close one, honestly, since there's more skilled than her and arguably more powerful than her (See: Cloud, Squall, Rydia, just off the top of my head) but she balances both and has that form 2 thing going on as well. Of course it's ironic since Terra wouldn't want to fight, see Dissidia Duodecim's entire arc around her...

9 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:21 am

I think the 'strength' option would allow for more interesting discussion, although the match-ups will need to be chosen carefully in order to minimize one-sided beatdowns.

There is also the job system to consider for some entries: how do you determine what FFV's folks' abilities are if they could be whatever they wanted them to be?

View user profile

10 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:17 am

I don't think there'll be that huge of a problem with balancing the powers of everyone in such a tournament. I mean, Dissidia does exist, which is basically a cross-over of all Final Fantasies, where anyone could fight anyone else.

However, I do agree with Arch that the villains and party members should be separated in different brackets. After all, it takes a whole group of party members to beat each villain in a Final Fantasy game.

So yeah, voting for a strength-based tournament.

View user profile

11 Re: Final Fantasy Tournament Poll on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:50 am

So I did manage to talk some sense into you.

Lol, just kidding.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum