» Turn 9-1068
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:59 am by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

» Is The Federation in Star Trek Fascist?
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

76 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 am

If you believe attempting to chart a course of economic nationalism will not also ruin our reputation with the US, I would advise you to look at their response to recent events in Guatemala. And the reforms I and Governor TomRP are implementing are far more radical than that of Arevalo. They will in no way allow us a friendship with the United States, no matter how much we try to appease them in other ways.

View user profile

77 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:07 am

I do not want to appease them, but I wish to not anger them. Also, you and TomRP are 2 of 9 regions, not the whole entire country.

View user profile

78 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:08 am

And you believe that will matter to the Americans?

View user profile

79 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 am

You believe Echain matters to the US? Guatemala is under their sphere of influence so it would make sense for them to care, but we are not.

View user profile

80 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 am

We are mere hundreds of miles away from their military and naval bases in the Philippines. Like it or not, as an imperialist power, they will care.

View user profile

81 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 am

OOC: I would like to point out to Governor Liquor Cat that our Island also happened to appear out of nowhere and occupy a stretch of land that was formerly known the the Dragon's Teeth, the Pacific version of the Bermuda Triangle

View user profile

82 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:29 am

OOC:Adding only further to my point, you will not find a people more scared of the Eldritch than the American.

View user profile

83 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:11 am

OOC: Finally back from work and holy crap was that some reading and so here is my response.

IC: I begin receiving notices and messages from varies organizations. First information about the ongoing in America with our diplomat there. About the Business that wishes to joint lobby/ have a rubber deal. I request that our esteemed diplomat try to gain some information on this man's business and for now stay tenative. As well start figuring out the logistics of the deal, I'm not about to say we absolutely should say yes or no we just need more information first. So let's do a little digging and see where that goes.

As well I agree if you are having trouble trying to get anywhere with the US politics I would suggest trying to reach out to the varies president's of humanitarian organizations, and maybe they hcan help spread the word as well.

Now as for the request from the Thai Government. I wish to send them a reply, that we are glad they have taken an interest in us. We would be interested in a trade deal, as long as we make sure all the terms are agreeable for both parties in this scenario. I also send an offer for a Thai diplomat to come in person so as to help bolster relations while hashing out a deal.

View user profile

84 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:03 am

Sir cooldkid, I just come by to inform you that the embassies requested are ready for foreign delegations, the staff is ready as well as the security that will be provided by the Guards.

View user profile

85 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:05 am

Governor Lorinbas wrote:Sir cooldkid, I just come by to inform you that the embassies requested are ready for foreign delegations, the staff is ready as well as the security that will be provided by the Guards.

Just make sure they arrive during daylight hours, no electric lights at this point.

View user profile

86 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:35 am

Mr. President, Mr. Governor, I remind you refugees are not Echaini citizen, and thus are not protected by the Constitution itself.
The National Law can decide what will their status and rights be.

View user profile

87 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Thank you for the update Governor Lorinbas, and Thank you again for having your city host the first foreign diplomatic embassy of Echain.

View user profile

88 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:15 pm

As I already stated Central is the only place fit for such a task, if my services will ever be of use to you again please contact me Minister

View user profile

89 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 pm

OOC: I just want to point out that Thailand at this time is called Siam, it does not become Thailand until 1949

View user profile

90 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Post Edited! Please look and see if these actions are to all of your liking, and my apologies for the mass post, I was under the impression that we were leaving the trade decision up to the governors.

View user profile

91 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:17 pm

As the governor of Waltens, I would like to point out the importance of foreign capital, expertise and resources in modernizing our nation's economy up to 20th century levels. If we are going to limit ourselves to domestic means in the state we are now - that is to say, without economy or education to speak of - we'll have our first factory producing consumer goods running by the late sixties. Which might be great if you like Echain to remain a pastoral backwater, but it might not be in the best interrest of the welfare of the Echaini people.

View user profile

92 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Cecasander wrote:As the governor of Waltens, I would like to point out the importance of foreign capital, expertise and resources in modernizing our nation's economy up to 20th century levels. If we are going to limit ourselves to domestic means in the state we are now - that is to say, without economy or education to speak of - we'll have our first factory producing consumer goods running by the late sixties. Which might be great if you like Echain to remain a pastoral backwater, but it might not be in the best interest of the welfare of the Echaini people.

As I have stated earlier and will state again, we cannot start relying on foreign capital unless we want our nation to crumble in the future. Our foundations must be built on Echaini industry if we wish to strive in the global stage. We have the required experts, resources and wealth, but we just require time and I believe in the next few months, we will be having factories appear all over Echain. The fact that you believe our first consumer goods factory will start running in the late sixties is total bullshit. I understand you are exaggerating, but why would it take 20 years for us to build a single factory. You give no ample reasoning or evidence behind this claim and I will simply dismiss it, for you sake Governor.

You, also, state that we have no economy or education to speak of, yet our investigations have found that there are many able souls that are qualified and highly educated throughout the country. As for our economy, many of our regions have already established their first mines and farms and will soon be starting business with other regions. Not to mention the barter we will be having with Siam concerning engineers and rubber. So far, our great nation is quickly recovering from the occupation and this nasty war, but if I left it in your hands, I am sure you would quickly give it to the damn foreigners for a quick and short economic boost that would only help us... until the DAMN foreigners decide to move onto another island.

So instead of worrying about giving our country to the foreigners, I would start worrying about my own responsibilities, which in your case is WALTENS. Go start establishing factories there. We will soon be receiving engineers from Siam, if dealt with correctly, and you can start you project that will last "20 years"so you can build that first consumer goods factory you were thinking about.

OOC: Sorry if this is a bit heated, but I am currently a bit salty about the whole senate thing...

View user profile

93 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:23 pm

OOC: Hey guys, turns out I won't be able to post again until sunday, so if you need me and I'm not there, I'm sorry. There isn't really much I can do about it. I'll try to give more heads-up next time, but for now, you have my sincerest apologies.

View user profile

94 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:12 am

Mister President, you have said on many occasions that foreign investments would result in the crumbling of our nation - always in these specific words - without ever specifying HOW this would happen. Since you haven't, I speculate that you assume that allowing foreign investments would result in the economic exploitation of our people in our resources, like has happened in so many African and Asian nations under the thumb of the Europeans. And I agree that this would be a cause for concern, if it were a legitimate comparison.

The thing is, we are not a primitive tribal African nation with no knowledge of European-style politics and economics. Our country does have a history of commercial economy and with foreign economic interaction. We are a savvy people, I would say, and if a comparison should be made, I think we are in the same situation as the people of Europe at the time. Devastated, down on our luck, but with the potential and the groundwork present. And as you said, we do have plenty of educated people, who would be easily trained to become production managers and engineers, and we have plenty of companies who would be willing to set up industries and get our economy moving.

What we do not have, however, is money and know-how. We could build a factory, sure, we could probably even build our own machinery if we wanted, based on some schematics the Japanese left. But if we went to do this, we'll end up continuously trying to reinvent the wheel, encountering inefficiency after inefficiency. We'll end up scraping by, surely, and we'll probably learn a lot. But nothing that hasn't been learned by foreign manufactorers prior to us, and we'll continue to be steps behind them in terms of production, quality and innovation, thus ruining our chance for exports. Building up our industrial capacity will be an educational process for sure, but as far as the matter of wellbeing of the people relying on those goods go, I think I'd prefer follow the tried and true paths. And that is why I think foreign investment is so important to the future of Echain. Believe me, mister President, I do not intend do hand over my country to foreign overlords. The only think I want to go gather the means for the country to strengthen itself and allow it to compete in the fierce outside world.

View user profile

95 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:47 pm

OOC: Just got back from my SAT...
IC:
Have stated my reasoning multiple times before(if not exactly in that post) and will not repeat myself again.

It doesn't matter that we are not a primitive tribal nation in Africa, if we allow them into our country and give them free rein. They will soon have more power than the government. They will be allowed to abuse and oppress our people and we would not be able to stop them since we would have built our foundations on them. That is why we cannot allow them in. For once they are in and they set their roots, there will be no way for us to oust them. If we do somehow kick them out of our country, our economy will experience a depression immediately and we would not be able to recover since everything we had would have been built on them. Tell me, do you know of one super-power that is established on foreign industry? NO. That is why we must do the same. We cannot give up the long-run of our nation in exchange for a short economic boost in the now. That would be crazy.

How could that possibly be an educational process if the foreigners will establish anything? If we want a true educational process in business, we must learn and do everything OURSELVES. We will soon have engineers from Siam coming to help establish our machinery and in a few months, the university of Echain will be established and we cant start developing our own machinery. You say that we have our own means, but are still willing to hand our nation to the foreigner. If you wish to remain a weak power in the pacific, continue advocating the foreign investments, but if you wish for a strong Echain, then allow us to build on our OWN foundations.

View user profile

96 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Why are you treatin' this as if this were Austria-'Ungary ultimatum to Serbia? We certainly do no' be givin' up our national sov'reignty. Africa was:

a) Literally invaded
b) Exploited for its natural resources because the African nations did no' know the fair trade value o' their resources
c) Did no' receive the European knowledge that would o' 'elped them catch up to the Europeans.

We do no' be 'avin' A 'appen at any increased risk if we do be usin' foreign aid. B is no' likely as we do be 'avin' access to this knowledge. C is something that you do be tryin' to do to us, Grifen. The Chinese made the same mistake, which caused the Century o' 'Umiliation. I do no' want to see Echain exploited. But it seems you do.

View user profile

97 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:36 pm

What?  We already have a large amount of educated men and women that are ready to start teaching and innovating in the university of Echain.  Is that what you call not having access to knowledge?  And there is a difference between not allowing intellectuals into your country to let them teach and allowing foreign capitalists to come and exploit our country.  I have never stated that I am against catching up to the Europeans or Americans, but why does that justify the construction of an economy on a shoddy foundation i.e. foreign capitalists?  That would only be setting us up for failure.  As i said earlier, what happens when these businesses start abusing and oppressing our people?  If we attempt to regulate them, they will leave.  If we kick them out, they will leave or fight back.  In both situations, we will be left with a struggling economy that will probably collapse since our foundation would have been built on these foreigners.  Is that what you want?  Would you rather allow these capitalists to come and ruin our nation instead of waiting a few months to allow our own domestic industry to thrive?  Is that what you really want?

View user profile

98 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:03 pm

No, we buy items we cant yet make.

View user profile

99 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:09 pm

We do be just needin' to make sure that we keep the investors in line. The deal bein' offered was to build infrastructure in return for raw resources. We do no' be needin' to give them any business foothold in Echain.

View user profile

100 Re: Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:42 pm

The offer was to build our rubber productions and, in effect, essentially giving it to them. That deal is null anyways since the Director of the Bank has bought all the rubber fields from Versberg for an extremely cheap price and is already establishing production...

If that is your only response, i deem this conversation as finished.

OOC: sorry to end this discussion so abruptly, but im getting tired of writing practically the same thing every time this issue comes up. No one has been able to give me a good reason to allow these companies in or even put down my IC opinions. Therefore, I dont really see any point in continuing this unless someone has something that will spice it up a bit... Very Happy

Also, if i had any governmental power, I would put Karbin in check or propose an amendment that limits his powers since he can essentially do anything he wants, but i cant do anything cause I have no real power... Sad

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum