Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm by DollarD

» Turn 10-1069
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

National Bills

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1 National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Herein shall events that require Governor interaction on a National level be held. This includes, but is not limited to, ratifying approved Senatorial Bills via Simple Majority.

2 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Honorable Governors,

I have worked to create a bill that is geared toward rebuilding this great nation; and, in doing, so, I have proposed to allocate funds directly to the Governors. The Governors will have control over the ways in which they rebuild their principalities, provided they follow common sense guidelines. Here is the first version of the bill:

Bill 001A: Rebuild the Echaini Republic Act

There are a few amendments to the bill that are not yet present in this current iteration of the bill (OOC: I will change the document in the event that the bill is ratified). Allow me to itemize them for you all.

1. Five to seven percent of the surplus will be released to the Federal government for regional disbursement in the event that an unforeseen circumstance, as described in the final article of the bill, does not arise after the first two quarters of the fiscal year; and, if yet another quarter passes without incident, the Federal government will allocate the remainder of the surplus.

2. All regional governments shall hire Echaini businesses for government contracting. No regional shall sign contracts to foreign companies, as the objective of the bill is to create Echaini businesses and circulate Espadas to all Echaini residents.

3. Governors must use at least 85% of their allocations provided by the Federal government; and, if they do not, they can place no more than 15% into the regional government coffers and donate the rest to a neighboring province.

4. The allocation of funds will be distributed slightly differently than as is described in the current iteration of the bill. Ten percent of the thirty-three percent allocation from Waltens and three percent of Lurem’s allocation shall be divided between Northport and Versberg (to concretize the rubber industry), Southport (to further establish trade routes and military ports), and Plainsdale (to secure the wheat harvest which benefits us both domestically and internationally).

Of Note: Senators have the power to amend the bill; so, please remember that this is not set in stone. The governors can pass the bill and still amend it in the future if a certain article is not working optimally.

I thank you all for your time, and I hope you will pass this piece of legislation for the good of the people.

View user profile

3 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Senator Bing Crosby (NPP) wrote:Honorable Governors,

I have worked to create a bill that is geared toward rebuilding this great nation; and, in doing, so, I have proposed to allocate funds directly to the Governors. The Governors will have control over the ways in which they rebuild their principalities, provided they follow common sense guidelines. Here is the first version of the bill:

Bill 001A: Rebuild the Echaini Republic Act

There are a few amendments to the bill that are not yet present in this current iteration of the bill (OOC: I will change the document in the event that the bill is ratified). Allow me to itemize them for you all.

1. Five to seven percent of the surplus will be released to the Federal government for regional disbursement in the event that an unforeseen circumstance, as described in the final article of the bill, does not arise after the first two quarters of the fiscal year; and, if yet another quarter passes without incident, the Federal government will allocate the remainder of the surplus.

2. All regional governments shall hire Echaini businesses for government contracting. No regional shall sign contracts to foreign companies, as the objective of the bill is to create Echaini businesses and circulate Espadas to all Echaini residents.

3. Governors must use at least 85% of their allocations provided by the Federal government; and, if they do not, they can place no more than 15% into the regional government coffers and donate the rest to a neighboring province.

4. The allocation of funds will be distributed slightly differently than as is described in the current iteration of the bill. Ten percent of the thirty-three percent allocation from Waltens and three percent of Lurem’s allocation shall be divided between Northport and Versberg (to concretize the rubber industry), Southport (to further establish trade routes and military ports), and Plainsdale (to secure the wheat harvest which benefits us both domestically and internationally).

Of Note: Senators have the power to amend the bill; so, please remember that this is not set in stone. The governors can pass the bill and still amend it in the future if a certain article is not working optimally.

I thank you all for your time, and I hope you will pass this piece of legislation for the good of the people.

I would ask the honourable gentleman to amend article 4 to reduce the minimum amount spent on building ships from 50% to 40% as I believe that 5% of funds is insufficient to be able to establish military academy's (as the Constitution says).

View user profile

4 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:25 pm

(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:
I would ask the honourable gentleman to amend article 4 to reduce the minimum amount spent on building ships from 50% to 40% as I believe that 5% of funds is insufficient to be able to establish military academy's (as the Constitution says).

General--this is an acceptable amendment. We will decrease the rate to 40% and allow you to use the extra 10% to establish the academy.

View user profile

5 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Also, General, I would urge you to endorse the bill if you find it to meet your standards, as your backing means so much to many people.

View user profile

6 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:27 pm

While I support the spirit if the bill wholeheartedly. With the offer of land available in my region acting to shift population from Waltens and Lurem, I only worry that Waltens will still be receiving too much even after the amendments.

And all senators and ministers are asked politely to please vacate these chambers.

View user profile

7 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 pm

I kindly submit that I should stay on the floor to address specific concerns, and I should note that I was sent here by our Most Honorable Chair to introduce the bill to the council. I will leave if it is mandated; however, I believe my presence here is useful, insofar as it is my goal to make the bill as comprehensible (and comprehensive) as possible.

View user profile

8 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Senator Bing Crosby (NPP) wrote:Also, General, I would urge you to endorse the bill if you find it to meet your standards, as your backing means so much to many people.

I agree heartily with the bill suggests and would be happy to endorse it.

View user profile

9 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:33 pm

I am in support of this bill for the most parts . Yet, I am of one mind with Sir WhisekyWhiskers but for different reasons, I have my reservations with some part of this bill, especially regarding the exact numbers of funds allocated to each region.

View user profile

10 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:37 pm

As Governor Goro Tanaka of Lurem:

Naturally I am disappointed that Lurem will be receiving less than originally outlined, I do however see the logic in the adjustment. I wish to bring a point to the other Governors attention, Article III ¶7, I quote:

In the event that any of the above mentioned groups complete their tasks without spending the entirety of their allocation, the businesses a) shall be allowed to keep the profits, and b) shall automatically be placed in consideration for future projects, should a similar need arise.

This goes too far. What are the guarantees that such an organisation will deliberately not cut corners or compromise health and safety, to ensure they complete the outline to the bare minimum of standards to ensure they remain under budget, thus to be rewarded.

What disturbs me even more is the fact that these companies will then seem to be given preference for future projects. Here, it seems the Senate endorses economic thrift as a measurement of quality practice, rather than the standard of work completed.

View user profile

11 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:43 pm

I do no' be knowin' whether or not Southport will be takin' the loans, considerin' we will be forced to raise taxes on a system we 'ave no' even set up yet. In your abridged version, I do be seein' you did no' mention that they were loans and not free funds. I do be 'opin' that was no' inentional.

I do be seein' no problem with the rest of the bill.

View user profile

12 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Allow to address the concerns that have been raised.

Governor Tanaka, the bill is long, and perhaps some of the conditions were not made apparent enough—if this is the case, I accept the fault of the matter; however, allow me to expand upon the section you’ve quoted.

According to Article III, paragraph 6, quote: “Half of all funds shall be disbursed to the individual groups at the onset of the reconstruction period; the remaining funds shall be disbursed to the individual groups after they have completed their contracts, if, and only if, their work a) adheres to the above mentioned standards, and b) is approved by the regional governors in a majority rule (approval is incumbent on adherence to standards and serves merely as a second mode of verification).”

There is, thus, a failsafe to assure the private business are not cutting corners. Governors only disburse funds under the condition that you and your agencies have approved the work of the private businesses.

As for the issue of preferential treatment, you should notice that the private businesses are qualified to put together another proposal; the bill does not guarantee that their proposal will be automatically accepted. The conditions by which the federal and regional governments approve proposals by independent contractors is simple (and it is laid out in the bill). The business who promises the best work at the best price will receive contracts. If you would like to explicitly state “all proposals shall undergo blind consideration,” we can easily do this.

Governor Erox, I fully understand your trepidation about accepting loans; however, I believe this is an issue of semantics rather than an issue of ideological bankruptcy on my part. The relief packages that will be distributed to the local governments will be in the form of money—and, since the federal government does not yet have a tax code (and it will not have one until the next fiscal year), the federal government has no means by which to fund specific federal services that all regional governments use.

For example, every region will use the inter-regional highways that the bill advances, yet no one is paying for that because there is no tax code; every region will use the water purification and food storage facilities and apparatuses that the bill advances, yet no one is paying for them because there is no tax code; and, similarly, every region shall enjoy the protection of the federal military, which includes defensive, offensive, and naval units that are superiorly trained and coordinated, yet, again, no one is paying for those services because there is no tax code. So, since only the individual regions shall enjoy the fruits of the relief package, and since there is no direct tax code in place at this time, it is essential that the regional governments use their own tax codes (which work independently from the federal government) to ensure that the amenities each individual Echaini, regardless of regional upbringing, are protected; and, that the country will have the funds necessary to address national concerns. Put simply, if the federal government does not have the funds or power necessary to function as a vanguard of the Republic, we might as well be a confederacy of individual states rather than one nation united under the constitution.

I hope this clears up the air, but I know the bill is long and I cannot possibly address every concern; bearing this in mind, I hope we can all work together to do what is best for the country, despite the fact that not everyone will get precisely what they want. And remember: time is a resource we cannot hold onto—we must make a decision sooner rather than later.

View user profile

13 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:16 pm

I hereby give my approval to this bill, for I am in agreement with Sir Bing Crosby that this needs to be than sooner rather than later. Yet I simply want that my reservations regarding the exact percentages of funds are to be noted.

View user profile

14 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Governor Lorinbas wrote:I hereby give my approval to this bill, for I am in agreement with Sir Bing Crosby that this needs to be than sooner rather than later. Yet I simply want that my reservations regarding the exact percentages of funds are to be noted.

I appreciate your support, Governor Lorinbas. We will amend the bill one last time before enacting it.

View user profile

15 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:20 pm

As Governor Goro Tanaka of Lurem:

Thank you for your response Senator Crosby; following your explanation I accept that the section of the bill that I find issue with was written wholly sincerely. However, now that I have heard your reasoning, I feel that "B)" is entirely redundant, and only draws undue confusion about whether the state plans to collude with private businesses, and create an arena of unfair competition. I do not believe all considerations should be done blindly, as this would only compound the problem of prioritizing businesses who put forward a plan which is economically advantageous on paper, and actively discourages positive organization reputation building through delivering quality service, so I personally see no need to include such an addendum.

I agree that time is of the essence in relation to passing this legislation, therefore I do not wish to be obstinate and cause more undue suffering. I will vote YAY on the bill, without the need for any amendments. Although, I would appreciate the sentence, I feel is redundant be removed.

View user profile

16 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:23 pm

TomRP wrote:As Governor Goro Tanaka of Lurem:

Thank you for your response Senator Crosby; following your explanation I accept that the section of the bill that I find issue with was written wholly sincerely. However, now that I have heard your reasoning, I feel that "B)" is entirely redundant, and only draws undue confusion about whether the state plans to collude with private businesses, and create an arena of unfair competition. I do not believe all considerations should be done blindly, as this would only compound the problem of prioritizing businesses who put forward a plan which is economically advantageous on paper, and actively discourages positive organization reputation building through delivering quality service, so I personally see no need to include such an addendum.

I agree that time is of the essence in relation to passing this legislation, therefore I do not wish to be obstinate and cause more undue suffering. I will vote YAY on the bill, without the need for any amendments. Although, I would appreciate the sentence, I feel is redundant be removed.

Governor Tanaka,

I thank you for actively engaging the bill in an attempt to make the bill stronger; and, rest assured, I shall remove redundancies (and we will not add in the blind selection process) before sending the bill out for approval. I thank you for your endorsement, kind sir.

View user profile

17 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Is there room for these private businesses to be state owned so we can be guaranteed no profit motive will blind them to the concerns raised by Governor TomRP?

View user profile

18 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:Is there room for these private businesses to be state owned so we can be guaranteed no profit motive will blind them to the concerns raised by Governor TomRP?

Governor Whiskey,

This will definitely be a possibility in the future; but, the federal government does not currently posses funds and, thus, has not established businesses. The bill seeks to create regional businesses for the future (since the state of a region directly affects the lives of the citizens on the whole); and, should the private businesses exceed the expectations of local governments, said governments will have the freedom to offer the businesses future contracts (or they may establish governmentally funded and run businesses which are staffed by former employees of the private business). Again, the private businesses, at this stage in the game, are incentivized to perform their duties at high levels; failure to do so carries political and economic consequences.

View user profile

19 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Nonsense. I can't speak to the other regions, but I have found many willing and able to work in construction in my region. It is a ridiculous notion that the teams we have already been working with for reconstruction should be overlooked in favour of private interests.

View user profile

20 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Senator Bing Crosby (NPP) wrote:

Governor Erox, I fully understand your trepidation about accepting loans; however, I believe this is an issue of semantics rather than an issue of ideological bankruptcy on my part. The relief packages that will be distributed to the local governments will be in the form of money—and, since the federal government does not yet have a tax code (and it will not have one until the next fiscal year), the federal government has no means by which to fund specific federal services that all regional governments use.

For example, every region will use the inter-regional highways that the bill advances, yet no one is paying for that because there is no tax code; every region will use the water purification and food storage facilities and apparatuses that the bill advances, yet no one is paying for them because there is no tax code; and, similarly, every region shall enjoy the protection of the federal military, which includes defensive, offensive, and naval units that are superiorly trained and coordinated, yet, again, no one is paying for those services because there is no tax code. So, since only the individual regions shall enjoy the fruits of the relief package, and since there is no direct tax code in place at this time, it is essential that the regional governments use their own tax codes (which work independently from the federal government) to ensure that the amenities each individual Echaini, regardless of regional upbringing, are protected; and, that the country will have the funds necessary to address national concerns. Put simply, if the federal government does not have the funds or power necessary to function as a vanguard of the Republic, we might as well be a confederacy of individual states rather than one nation united under the constitution.

I hope this clears up the air, but I know the bill is long and I cannot possibly address every concern; bearing this in mind, I hope we can all work together to do what is best for the country, despite the fact that not everyone will get precisely what they want. And remember: time is a resource we cannot hold onto—we must make a decision sooner rather than later.

Well, I do be 'opin' that you rethink how you want the loans to work. Currently, this is the structure:

Bill001A wrote:Governors who accept the above mentioned allocated funds shall be required to pay back their individual loans to the Federal Government in the form of tax revenue; in doing so, each Governor shall temporarily raise sales taxes by one-half of one percent, property taxes by two-fifths of one percent, and provincial taxes by three-fifths of one percent; if a Governor wishes to increase the local tax rate by a higher margin, he or she may do so at his or her discretion—the aforementioned tax increases (the sum of which equal a one-percent tax increase) are mandatory for the duration of the repay period. These slight tax increases may be revoked by the Governor once the sum of the Governor’s individual allocation of the Provincial Reconstruction Package has been repaid in full (no interest rate required).

You instruct us to increase our taxes, but most o' us 'aven't got our tax codes ready yet either. So you pass the problem o' the tax code onto the regional gov'ments, who 'ave do deal with it on their own. Beyond the irresponsibility, there is also the problem that you are tellin' us 'ow we must structure our tax code. I would like to be doin' without sales tax in Southport, in favor of an income tax. But you do no' account for this nuance in your legislation.

Despite this, I could be acceptin' if you give the option of repayin' the loan in the manner we do be wishin', given a deadline and a minimum repayment per month. O' course, the current plan could be kept as an option or suggestion.

View user profile

21 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Governor Whiskey,

Again, this bill is designed to generate cash flow that directly benefits the people and the people first; this is evidenced by the fact that we are allocating funds to ensure family businesses have room to grow independently. Your proposal would empower the government rather than the entrepreneur as well as the mom and pop, or the father and sons. This is an ideological difference; and, although I respect it and have respected the differing beliefs of all Governors who have come to endorse the bill (especially those who initially had the most concerns but were able to compromise), this is a condition on which I shall not budge. The bill has the interests of the people in mind. So, if you downvote the bill, given my stance, I will respect your decision to do so, and I thank you for your time and effort in engaging the bill's merits.

View user profile

22 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Making it a loan also fundamentally undercuts the bills use in circulating the currency. If there's to be a debt make it a federal debt to the national bank.

View user profile

23 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:00 pm

I vote nay on bill 001A and call on the other governors who do not wish the federal government encroaching on the region's constitutionally protected rights on this issue to do likewise.

View user profile

24 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:03 pm

[quote="Governor Mega Erox"]
Senator Bing Crosby (NPP) wrote:

You instruct us to increase our taxes, but most o' us 'aven't got our tax codes ready yet either. So you pass the problem o' the tax code onto the regional gov'ments, who 'ave do deal with it on their own. Beyond the irresponsibility, there is also the problem that you are tellin' us 'ow we must structure our tax code. I would like to be doin' without sales tax in Southport, in favor of an income tax. But you do no' account for this nuance in your legislation.

Despite this, I could be acceptin' if you give the option of repayin' the loan in the manner we do be wishin', given a deadline and a minimum repayment per month. O' course, the current plan could be kept as an option or suggestion.

Payments to the Federal government, of course, will not be required until each region establishes their tax codes--this will happen sooner rather than later, for the region cannot hope to thrive, much less exist for a prolonged period of time, without a tax code. As for the payments to the federal government, we can add an addendum that explicitly determines the deadlines as well as the manner in which disbursements are sent back to the Federal level. Please let me know if this gives you more confidence in the bill, and please let me know if there is anything else I can clarify.

View user profile

25 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Senator Bing Crosby (NPP) wrote:Payments to the Federal government, of course, will not be required until each region establishes their tax codes--this will happen sooner rather than later, for the region cannot hope to thrive, much less exist for a prolonged period of time, without a tax code. As for the payments to the federal government, we can add an addendum that explicitly determines the deadlines as well as the manner in which disbursements are sent back to the Federal level. Please let me know if this gives you more confidence in the bill, and please let me know if there is anything else I can clarify.

The problem I had was no' addressed. The problem was with the explicit

Bill001A wrote:in the form of tax revenue; in doing so, each Governor shall temporarily raise sales taxes by one-half of one percent, property taxes by two-fifths of one percent, and provincial taxes by three-fifths of one percent

If this is in 'ere, I can no' be supportin' the bill and will downvote it. I can no' be acceptin' the senate tellin' the regions 'ow to conduct their own taxes. We would be findin' the funds in our own manner.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum