Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 6-1069
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

National Bills

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Yes, if it were reworded so as to be advice to governors, I would lend my full support to the currently amended bill.

View user profile

52 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:10 pm

I have noticed that the main issue with this bill is that it might force the regions to tax or spend in a certain way. While I understand your concerns, as Mr.Crosby stated earlier, that is not unconstitutional. Now where does it actually state in the constitution that the federal government is not allowed to make the regions spend or tax in a certain way. Therefore, it is allowed if it passes through the senate, the constitutional court, the Council of Governors and the president.
That is why you, the governors, are here. If you believe a bill would harm or effect the autonomy of a region, you wold be able to stop it. That is the reason the Council of Governors is part of the government.
I am aware that this response is a bit late, but I was busy when the issue arose.

View user profile

53 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:13 pm

I beg the Governors to pass this bill. If you do not we will stay in a state of limbo for a long time. Time we can't afford and my Ministry needs to know what we are being given to be able to proceed. Until this bill is passed I will not be able to start building the armed forces and thus we are constantly under threat.

View user profile

54 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:22 pm

I do be sorry Bradley3000, but this do be the problem with attachin' controversial provisions with uncontroversial provisions in large bills like this. There would be no problem if the 5 articles were split up into separate bills. In the future, I do be 'opin' that the senate remembers this, especially in this important time.

View user profile

55 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Governor Mega Erox wrote:I do be sorry Bradley3000, but this do be the problem with attachin' controversial provisions with uncontroversial provisions in large bills like this. There would be no problem if the 5 articles were split up into separate bills. In the future, I do be 'opin' that the senate remembers this, especially in this important time.

I understand.....urgh I never was proficient at all this politicking.

View user profile

56 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:50 pm

President Grifenknight wrote:I have noticed that the main issue with this bill is that it might force the regions to tax or spend in a certain way.  While I understand your concerns, as Mr.Crosby stated earlier, that is not unconstitutional.  Now where does it actually state in the constitution that the federal government is not allowed to make the regions spend or tax in a certain way.  Therefore, it is allowed if it passes through the senate, the constitutional court, the Council of Governors and the president.  
That is why you, the governors, are here.  If you believe a bill would harm or effect the autonomy of a region, you wold be able to stop it.  That is the reason the Council of Governors is part of the government.
I am aware that this response is a bit late, but I was busy when the issue arose.

I'm sorry, but the powers of both the federal and regional government are clearly delineated with the regional government being given regional taxation powers as well as de facto any power not mentioned. It is simply a misreading to believe that the federal government, the council of governors included, has the power to set regional taxes. The compromise proposed by Governor Erox, would ably fix this problem. We are simply waiting for the return of Senator Bing Crosby.

I must also strongly object to so many members of the senate injecting themselves into these council chambers and would hope this does not set a precedent. We must be allowed to discuss issues between ourselves as governors.

View user profile

57 Re: National Bills on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:51 pm

OOC: Sorry, but I ain't no senator, darlin...

View user profile

58 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Honorable Governors,

I apologize for the length of my absence, but I return today with an amended version of Bill 001A. I have added a section to the bottom of the bill that tracks the changes that were made, so you may look at that for a quick reference of what has been changed.

Bill 001B

I await your responses.

View user profile

59 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Unless you can compromise and allow consideration for state-run construction firms to at least run against private businesses in tender, I cannot vote yea on this bill.

View user profile

60 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:Unless you can compromise and allow consideration for state-run construction firms to at least run against private businesses in tender, I cannot vote yea on this bill.

Is this an acceptable change to the first sentence of Article I:

The federal government shall disburse funds to all nine individual regional governments. The funds shall be granted directly to each Governor, and the Governor shall distribute the funds to private businesses or public agencies within the region.

View user profile

61 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:03 pm

I do believe that would suffice. Thank you.

View user profile

62 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:I do believe that would suffice. Thank you.

OOC: I had that change in my notes but forgot to implement it!

Here is the new wording:

Bill 001C

View user profile

63 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:07 pm

I vote yea on Bill 001C

View user profile

64 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:08 pm

For sake of clarity I will just state my approval again.

View user profile

65 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:22 pm

I vote yay as well

View user profile

66 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 pm

I thank the gentlemen for their support and will add everyone's name to the list of sponsors so the public will know that you've put their interests first.

View user profile

67 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:20 pm

As Governor Goro Tanaka of Lurem:

I thank the Senate for listening to the concerns of the Council of Governors. I unequivocally uphold my Yay vote.

View user profile

68 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:20 pm

The Governor Agueda will vote Yay on the newly revised bill.

69 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Honorable Governors,

If Governors Whiskey, Lorinbas, Chaos_Ryder, Tanaka, and Agueda vote in favor of Bill 001C, a simple majority has been reached; and, thus, Bill 001C is now an official law (regardless of how the other Governors vote). I will add the Governors who voted for the bill to the list of Sponsors--this includes those who have yet to vote.

I thank the Honorable Governors for approving this bill, and I look forward to ratifying our next piece of legislation.

View user profile

70 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Although I was unable to attend this meeting of the council, I would like to voice my support for Bill 001C.Also, I would like to take this opportunity to raise a couple points about the bill to inform the federal government's future decisions.

1. "A temporary tax increase of no less than one percent; the Governor may set the tax rate and conditions therein by his or her own discretion (no interest rate required)."

While I understand this is to allow Governers to decide upon the form of taxation in their regions I feel the wording of this leaves much to be desired. The key issue is that taxes do not bring in identical revenue (OOC: e.g increasing plastic bags tax by 1% is much less impactful than increasing income tax by 1%), as such I feel in the future if another initiative like this occurs we should amend the wording. A feasible solution would be to instead set a limit to the % of the loan that extra taxes can repay each week (OOC: Assuming 1 Week=1 Turn). This is merely one alternative, but I hope you at least see the issue with the current wording.

2. With reference to the independent teams managing inter-provincial infrastructure and clean water, how much input will the governor's have on the actions of these teams?

3. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind the assembled governors that while at present establishing military academies is important, the constitution also mandates construction of a national university, while hopefully some of Aberisk's reconstruction funds will be surplus - and able to begin investment in the university, it is not a matter that can be resolved on a purely provincial level.

Thank you for your time.

View user profile

71 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 pm

JainaProudmoore2 wrote:Although I was unable to attend this meeting of the council, I would like to voice my support for Bill 001C.Also, I would like to take this opportunity to raise a couple points about the bill to inform the federal government's future decisions.

1. "A temporary tax increase of no less than one percent; the Governor may set the tax rate and conditions therein by his or her own discretion (no interest rate required)."

While I understand this is to allow Governers to decide upon the form of taxation in their regions I feel the wording of this leaves much to be desired. The key issue is that taxes do not bring in identical revenue (OOC: e.g increasing plastic bags tax by 1% is much less impactful than increasing income tax by 1%), as such I feel in the future if another initiative like this occurs we should amend the wording. A feasible solution would be to instead set a limit to the % of the loan that extra taxes can repay each week (OOC: Assuming 1 Week=1 Turn). This is merely one alternative, but I hope you at least see the issue with the current wording.

2. With reference to the independent teams managing inter-provincial infrastructure and clean water, how much input will the governor's have on the actions of these teams?

3. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind the assembled governors that while at present establishing military academies is important, the constitution also mandates construction of a national university, while hopefully some of Aberisk's reconstruction funds will be surplus - and able to begin investment in the university, it is not a matter that can be resolved on a purely provincial level.

Thank you for your time.

Governor Proudmore,

Allow me to address your concerns point by point.

1) I see the issue and look forward to your counsel when future bills come to the Council’s floor.

2) The inter-regional project is a Federal bill; however, the Federal government places the responsibility of hiring contractors on the regional governments. Here is the direct wording of the bill from Article III: “These businesses will be selected by the local governments, and the section process shall be the same process as described in Article II. “

3) Having been born, bred, and educated in Aberisk, replacing the National Library and establishing the EFU is one of my personal priorities; however, we cannot do so at this time due to funding issues. That said, there are two possibilities for funds being funneled into the EFU before the end of the fiscal year: 1) if you have a surplus after you’ve stabilized the Aberiskian with your allocation, you may funnel the funds directly into the university, and 2) if the National surplus is not used to assuage a National Disaster, the Senate may propose a Bill to provide the Aberiskian regional government with an endowment to create the University.

I hope I have adequately addressed your concerns; please let me know if I’ve missed anything.

View user profile

72 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Senator Bing Crosby (NPP) wrote:
JainaProudmoore2 wrote:Although I was unable to attend this meeting of the council, I would like to voice my support for Bill 001C.Also, I would like to take this opportunity to raise a couple points about the bill to inform the federal government's future decisions.

Thank you for your time.

Governor Proudmore,

Allow me to address your concerns point by point.

1) I see the issue and look forward to your counsel when future bills come to the Council’s floor.

2) The inter-regional project is a Federal bill; however, the Federal government places the responsibility of hiring contractors on the regional governments. Here is the direct wording of the bill from Article III: “These businesses will be selected by the local governments, and the section process shall be the same process as described in Article II. “

3) Having been born, bred, and educated in Aberisk, replacing the National Library and establishing the EFU is one of my personal priorities; however, we cannot do so at this time due to funding issues. That said, there are two possibilities for funds being funneled into the EFU before the end of the fiscal year: 1) if you have a surplus after you’ve stabilized the Aberiskian with your allocation, you may funnel the funds directly into the university, and 2) if the National surplus is not used to assuage a National Disaster, the Senate may propose a Bill to provide the Aberiskian regional government with an endowment to create the University.

I hope I have adequately addressed your concerns; please let me know if I’ve missed anything.

Thank you for clarifying with regards to the construction teams. I understand that at present the university is not a priority - in my original statement I did mention that I understood the importance of the current measures - but as it's constitutionally mandated, I felt it worth bringing up to ensure that governors and senators alike understand what still must be done to fulfill our constitutional duties.

View user profile

73 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Honorable Governors,

I come to you today with yet another Bill. The Bill is called Bill 002C: Legislative Simplification Act. The goal of this Bill is to foster transparency and simplicity. Furthermore, the Bill was constructed to separate legislative items (that is, you will not longer have to vote on a Bill that addresses military AND infrastructural matters).

I encourage you all to read the bill and raise any questions you might have. Thank you in advance for your time.

View user profile

74 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 pm

I'd like to add that the President has officially endorsed the bill.

View user profile

75 Re: National Bills on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:53 pm

This bill seems fine to me and I would be happy to pass it in its current form.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum