Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

» Bound by the Past
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:49 pm

So I have to admit, in my original envisionment of the setup, the Senators would be doing the majority of the game, since voting and controlling votes is a big bulk of politics. As is though, thanks to how you have the Constitution set up, Senators seem to have far less actual impact on things, which I find interesting. But regardless of that, and more to the OOC point of the title, l am debating setting up an auto-vote sort of rule for Senators who can't / don't interact as often as other Senators. Since the Senate by its very definition only functions if its people debate and deliberate back and forth, and of course RL is a thing and people appear to be having limited availability, we have a problem which may grow into a large one eventually. Thus, I'm thinking of making one of two rules to push things along.

1: Admittedly this feels like a bit of punishment for the less active players, but; the idea being that any Senator automatically votes yes on any issue if they don't make the time and effort to be involved in its construction.

2: Allowing player senators who are fully active to spend Influence on other player senators who are not in order to make them vote their way.

Thoughts?

2 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:07 pm

I like number 2 and tbh I think it is the only way to proceed. Although you could ask each of the Senators to appoint someone else who they know share similar views to vote on their behalf.

View user profile

3 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:09 pm

2 sounds like the better option, does 'punish' more active players, but I suppose that's what a resource stat is supposed to do.

View user profile

4 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:11 pm

I'd favour a more lenient system.

Every bill, on which not all people voted, and which didn't get 50+% votes (or 66+%) would be postponed until Friday.
On Friday, the Foreman or someone he appoints (if he's unavailable to do so) makes a single post with all the bills that have to be voted upon, as well as brief description what they do and how they do it.
Then people have time until Saturday to vote, after which their votes would be void.

And, so that the Council does have time, the issues will be presented to it in parallel (not after the senate vote, but during), so a bill could be "pre-approved" by the Council and the system doesn't block itself.

And, to be honest, I don't like 2 very much, since it effectively penalises active players.

View user profile

5 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:13 pm

I am also more in favour of option number 2

View user profile

6 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:18 pm

OOC: We can make our senate as efficient as the US one by assuming in lore that the missing Senators are filiebusterin the vote, out in vacation or abstaining from voting until Sunday. Why yes that would delay things, maybe you guys might want to try... non-conventional politicking to reach your goals

View user profile

7 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:21 pm

But what would the active senators do? As it stands, we have more or less balanced amount of gameplay per player. Robbing the Senate of power in this way would give more gameplay to non-senators and stripped almost all avenues for player expression from active senators (remember, they don't own anything, and can't even exchange favours since they couldn't do anything for anyone)

View user profile

8 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Option 1

View user profile

9 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 pm

I like the system Karbin proposed. If I had to choose between the two systems that Lore proposed, I would pick the first one. I don't see why a player should waste their influence on another player because they cannot be active. The senators would run out of influence so quickly that the system would be useless after 3 or 4 bills...

View user profile

10 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 pm

I admit the point wasn't to penalize the active players so much as the inactive ones, but in hindsight I'd rather punish neither. Hm.

Karbin's solution requires someone with the kind of time and interest to do the summary as stated, and also doesn't actually address the issue (what if people still don't vote by Saturday? Bill remains unpassed).

I'll need to think on this some more.

11 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Oh, in my proposal, if those people don't vote then either of your solutions would take place.

Also, I'm an optimist and believe that at least 1 person will have a bit of time to do the summaries each week. If not, then there won't be much to summarize anyway.

View user profile

12 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Option 2.

View user profile

13 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:29 pm

What if we take the votes of the senators that haven't voted and make them abstained? This should punish nobody and will help pass or trash bills. The deadline should be around Friday or Saturday so the Council would have time to discuss and vote.

View user profile

14 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:07 pm

We could also just have each Senator answer a simple questionairre on what they generally want for each hot topic. Then use those answers to vote for them should they miss the deadline.
Sort of like behaviour settings for AI in DA:O.

But since I don't see how else to use Influence, having a sort of bidding for a fellow Senators vote with influence sounds fun. Maybe if that was a separate Influence pool?

View user profile

15 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 pm

The problem is that we would run out of influence extremely fast since there are only 3 active players.

View user profile

16 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:49 am

President Grifenknight wrote:The problem is that we would run out of influence extremely fast since there are only 3 active players.

#waves#

View user profile

17 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:12 am

Sorry, I meant senators...

View user profile

18 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 am

Just multiply everyone's influence by 10. Have all actions that would previously cost influence still cost a multiple of 10. Have influencing senators cost less.

View user profile

19 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:50 am

If influence is increased then Senators could choose how much they want to spend with the vote going the way off the highest "influence bid". So if a diversive bill is proposed an influence auction could commence, while if it's just getting the amount of votes needed a small amount would be needed .

View user profile

20 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 am

Actually I've been thinking of a sort of hybrid idea similar to what Kirky instituted.  Tell me what you think of this guys.

Senators, and only Senators, will get an allotment of Senatorial Influence each Turn.  It won't be much.  That can be 'bid' to sway inactive Senators to vote in their favor.  Whoever wins the 'bid', auction style, earns that Senator's vote and can then decide how it is cast.  Any left over Senatorial Influence at the end of the Turn that is not spent gets converted into regular Influence for use later.  

The rule I'd attach to this is bidding cannot occur until X amount of time has passed.  I'm uncertain what's a fair amount of time though.  24 hours?  72?  What do you guys think.

Edit: Oh and if the inactive Senator pops on and tosses their hat into the ring, obviously bidding goes out the window.

21 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:10 am

72 sounds fair to me, my work schedule often includes 3-4 12 hour shifts in a row. I am trying to throw my hat in as often as I can but phone signal and internet coverage is horrible.

View user profile

22 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:35 am

Kirky wrote:72 sounds fair to me, my work schedule often includes 3-4 12 hour shifts in a row.

Shocked OOC: As in 36-48 hour shifts? What the hell do you do, nursing?

View user profile

23 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:52 am

Support Worker for adults with LD, some with history of criminal behaviour. For example I started work at 8:30am this morning and I will come off shift at 10am tomorrow. If I'm lucky I'll get 8 hours sleep but I usually only manage to get 5 or 6.

View user profile

24 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Had another thought. Tell me what you guys think of this.

We could make it so, in lore, the Senate is a much larger body than the 7 players, and just say each player Senator is one of influence and power. Then when a bill is brought up, those active senators can support or oppose it, and that would sway the much larger body of NPC Senators (IE me).

25 Re: OOC: For Future Senatorial Interaction on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:44 pm

The Lorerunner wrote:Had another thought.  Tell me what you guys think of this.

We could make it so, in lore, the Senate is a much larger body than the 7 players, and just say each player Senator is one of influence and power.  Then when a bill is brought up, those active senators can support or oppose it, and that would sway the much larger body of NPC Senators (IE me).

I could get behind that. It also solves the problem of why a nation would have such a small Senate.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum