Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Yesterday at 3:39 am by ZeroCool

» Turn 1-1069
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 pm by Crensler

» Turn 2-1069
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:23 am by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Mass Effect 3, Your Edition
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:40 pm by Braigwen

» Turn 12-1068
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 pm by wolfking2k

» Player Houses
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:50 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Battle of Scales
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:52 am by SilverDragonRed

» Good morning!
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm by Galtori

» We started a Discord chatroom for the community. It's free to boot!
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:14 am by Chatterbox1991

You are not connected. Please login or register

In The Halls (Demo)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:22 am

OOC: its late where I'm at so I'm gonna turn in for today.

View user profile

27 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 am

Suko Shinpei wrote:Natural resources aren't a problem. With AWE, we could relatively easily begin mining in space, and transmutation would become viable. This means no mineral would be a problem. Artificial synthetisation of organic compounds would also become viable, allowing us to produce fertile soil, not to mention hydroponics, whose only limitation is water and energy, so even food would become functionally unlimited.

As for your fears of the "evil capitalist CEO's", they too would have no reason to gouge prices or try to "overpower" the government.
By making this technology open-source, we'd also create competition between companies. In my examples - iPhone and Model T - you see two pioneering devices, that have world a better place not just by themselves, but by the competition they brought. iPhone spurred the development of Android, and now there is no real monopoly - in fact, super-majority of smartphones are sold at barely a profit for the manufacturers.
I fail to see a reason this should be any different in early AWE economy.

Capital would become useless gradually. Services and food would become cheaper and cheaper, as production costs went down and supply up, helping the poor the most. Over time, market would soon be reduce to its most basic logistical form, since there would be no real cap, with widespread automation and transmutation.

As far as threats go, you made my argument for me, grifenknight. We would have at least some headstart in the beginning, so as to not be totally unprepared, but yes, threats would emerge.
Just like cyber crime.
And, just like cyber crime, you'd see that most people don't do it (not to mention criminality would also disappear along with poverty and misery), and that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

What does this technology have to do with artificial synthesis and space travel? This device would only give us energy and, from what I am aware, that is holding neither fields of study back. The problem with space travel is an efficient way of propelling off of the surface of the Earth. The problem with artificial synthesis of organic compounds is our actual knowledge and technology besides energy. If anything, energy is the least likely to hold either of these industries back. So... bad examples... dont prove your point.

You state that these "evil capitalist CEO's" would not have any reason to gouge prices or overpower the government, but you forget one MAJOR reason... They want to stay above everyone. Why would they happily grant technology to everyone that makes everyone economic equals? They get nothing from this. By staying in their position or exploiting this technology for their use, they will most likely consolidate their power and keep them above everyone else. As former president Jimmy Carter said, "We're becoming, now, an oligopoly instead of a democracy." This is because major companies already have major influence over the government and you have to be extremely rich to even run for major positions. This would only become even more apparent once this technology goes public.

Also, you state this technology would create competition between companies, but this device literally gives us infinite energy... I dont see the competition in that. The first corporation to grab this device would immediately become #1 in the market and would never be budged. You, also, must remember that many corporations communicate between themselves and would most likely establish a common price among them so that they do not lose the power that they have worked so hard to claim.

With this technology, and with the technological advancements that you say will come with them, what is to stop the major corporations from coming together and restricting the access of this technology except for themselves? I know this is stretching it a bit far, but have you ever seen those futuristic sci-fi scenarios? In every single one, the gap between the poor and the rich is astonishing and its not because they lack unlimited energy or food, but because the human nature makes it so that once an individual acquires power, they want to keep it. So, what makes you think these corporations would do just that? Lose all the power that they worked so long on acquiring?

Also, why do you think crime would disappear? Especially with the potential that this machine holds... You are aware that there are psychos in this world that only want to see it burn. It would only take one mistake fror us to let them acquire the device and literally do that and, as you and I stated, this would be like cyber crime, where they are ahead of us. This would only cause major pain and suffering in the future. Maybe even going as far as wiping us off this planet, just like a nuclear war between major nations would do now. We have reached the point in human civilization where one simple mistake, like releasing this technology to the public, would spell the end of mankind... So please, think about what your arguing before presenting it to us, Mr. Suko...

View user profile

28 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:45 am

OOC: Its like 2am where I am, so If i dont respond... Im asleep.

View user profile

29 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 am

OOC: Just woke up. Only saw one question pertaining to me, but in answer; I thought the goal of this was obvious, you are deciding how to proceed with the information you have on hand. You have no real... limits on the type of decision you can make, all that limits you is what you're capable of accomplishing.

30 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Well, I think we have enough agreement on this issue in order to vote. So, on the first issue of this technology, should AWE be public domain? Aye or Nay?

Nay

View user profile

31 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:13 pm

NAY

View user profile

32 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Nay

View user profile

33 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:38 pm

OOC: This is where the Senator game gets hung up like hell, but can we agree that when there is a big enough majority that the last votes do not matter could we move on or should we wait for input. Obviously we're waiting for Karbin's input right now.

View user profile

34 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:56 pm

OOC: At this time, I would probably PM gollvieg and Chaos_Ryder about there ideal outcomes of this situation. Not to karbin because I already know he is against my views. If their views are similar, I would probsbly mention working together... if their views aren't, then I would ask why or just ignore them. Very Happy

View user profile

35 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:02 pm

AWE should be made open source after a small period of preliminary study, not public domain. And I disagree with the idea we've discussed enough.

View user profile

36 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:07 pm

A small period of time is too risky. Either for a long period of time, maybe 5 to 10 years, or it should never be released and just be used by the government.

View user profile

37 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:34 am

OOC: Sorry but we have a very limited time so let's agree to log on tomorrow at 12:00 EST and use the Lorerunner Chat to continue this conversation. The Forum style of gameplay is definitely not conductive to a dialogue heavy game.

View user profile

38 Re: In The Halls (Demo) on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:42 am

OOC: Thats do-able for me. I was just waiting for a response, but one never came Sad

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum