Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Yesterday at 1:22 pm by Luslanz

» Turn 1-1068
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm by FreelanceZero

» Turn 2-1068
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:52 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 12-1067
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm by Spartanmario

» Player Houses
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Koth Meeting
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 am by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Chelsey Wright: hiring a lawyer
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Tyranny Coupon 50%
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm by TheUltimateParadoxs

» Warlords II: Turn Four - Departure of a Hero
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

PUBLIC - Echaini Culture

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:10 pm

The Rubber Rush was between 1885 and 1909 as far as my propositions go, after the shogunate. I there's one problem with immigrants, it's Australians, given that Australia was very young and very small at the time Smile (that's why I expanded the definition)

Also, I'll eventually write in Episode V which will list all the little grievances and frictions between regions and areas

View user profile

27 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:27 pm

First of all, ouch, I don't get any credit for being a world builder? heh

Second of all, just wanted to give shout outs to Karbin for his work on the backstory. Been reading it as he goes.


_________________
The Lorerunner
View user profile http://lorerunner.com/

28 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:31 pm

The Lorerunner wrote:First of all, ouch, I don't get any credit for being a world builder?  heh

Second of all, just wanted to give shout outs to Karbin for his work on the backstory.  Been reading it as he goes.


I am sorry oh great overlord! you are obviously the greatest world builder of them all!. If Karbin is Tolkien you are.......George Lucas? (not sure weather compliment or backhanded compliment) Very Happy .

View user profile

29 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:55 pm

I just noticed that due to my typo, we have Greate Cleave instead of Great Cleave. We can either let it be and make it actual in-setting thing, or someone can go bit by bit change it. It's far too much tedium for me right now.

As for Atarashi Shikoku, it's not the name of a city, but a Zone (I decided to substitute Area with Zone for reasons), sort-of like a sub-region. Cities in it are Mimamikoen and Gomura. I give you free reign with them, Gollvieg, just, if the names aren't outright ridiculous ***, I'd prefer to leave them be (however, the Zone name will probably have to change Very Happy ; it was supposed to be something like 'New Shikoku', but it seems internet dictionaries failed me :'( )

View user profile

30 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Karbin Cry wrote:I just noticed that due to my typo, we have Greate Cleave instead of Great Cleave. We can either let it be and make it actual in-setting thing, or someone can go bit by bit change it. It's far too much tedium for me right now.

As for Atarashi Shikoku, it's not the name of a city, but a Zone (I decided to substitute Area with Zone for reasons), sort-of like a sub-region. Cities in it are Mimamikoen and Gomura. I give you free reign with them, Gollvieg, just, if the names aren't outright ridiculous ***, I'd prefer to leave them be (however, the Zone name will probably have to change Very Happy ; it was supposed to be something like 'New Shikoku', but it seems internet dictionaries failed me :'( )

^_^ Is Mimamikoen a South Park Reference? If so then bravo good sir! Laughing I whole heartedly accept that as a city.

Gomura is also acceptable as long there is another city called Gojira and both cities get into fights on how fast they can build and destroy buildings ^_^

New Shikoku is acceptable as the name for a prefecture. If you want to emphasize that this is a New Shikoku then the name is Shikokushin. If you want to emphasize that this is a New Shikoku then the name can be Shin Shikoku

T_T Japanese is hard, I had to get my sister to help me on this

View user profile

31 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Mimamikoen isn't a South Park reference intentionally, if I recall correctly I just typed something like "town in south" to Google Translate Very Happy
Gojira could be founded in the future Very Happy

View user profile

32 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Cultures, Roots, and Regions - Episode V: Revanchists Strike Back

As you might've noticed while reading the part about history, there is a lot of friction between regions, zones and even some cities.
First of all, that has a functional value in that it gives players more gameplay.
Second, it is only natural. Echain was settled by a hodge-podge of various peoples, and its history is quite tumultuous.

Now I'll write some down.
Again, nothing I write is lore, and even if it becomes lore, it doesn't limit others. If you have a suggestion, or disagree, write it down, so it may enrich the game, and, thus, all of us.

Treaties and Claims

Or, 'How setting up jurisdictions in a half-undiscovered land and with a patchwork of treaties and laws leads to rouble'. Note that all those are discounting the current Constitution, which superseded former divisions, but these issues could very well be raised anyway.
Most of these problems come from the fact Echain was undiscovered when regions were being formed. This means they didn't have rivers or natural barriers to chart borders by, so they did it by "south of X and west of Y except for Z". Which is terrible, especially since they did that at a time when the tech level allowed for "misunderstandings".

Now lets get to it, shall we?

Versberg
So, Versberg was defined by being everything north of Dentes Salgados except Voros and Isla del Estreito (Northport) and Echain Island.
This gives Versberg claim on Pearl Islands, Isle of Grain (both Aberisk), and Fishleep (Lurem)

Northport
Back before Aberisk was established, Aberisk, Northport, Voros, Isle of Grain, Fishleap and Pearl Islands were de facto administered by the Crown. Then Aberisk was formed, however it was defined as a peninsula of Echain Island, and Northport was defined mostly by "what was left under direct control of the Crown and wasn't Central". So, Northport also has claims on Island of Grain and Pearl Islands

Aberisk
Aberisk often tried to assert claim to Planalto de Pocos, arguing that the wording in its charter (peninsula of Echain Island) included PdP, as well as cultural similarities to PcP (both PcP and Esculpir (Aberisk) have strong portuguese heritage, being both late royal expansion projects).
It is true that the Crown ceded PdP to Lurem, but a) you could argue the later charter of Aberisk and king's authority supersede that, and b) as a condition, the Crown required Lurem to "help develop" Planalto de Pocos, so you could argue Lurem broke that clause.

Lurem
Lurem was defined as being everything either north of Cape Jungle and/or east of Eyesee, with exception of Isla del Estreito, Voros, Neue Spiekeroog and Versberg.
This gives Lurem claim on Island of Grain, Pearl Islands, and the entire Aberisk region, since you could argue that Crown control of Aberisk was unlawful to begin with.

Eastport
You could argue Bramber, Brecon and Lacock should belong to Eastport. Also, part of the border is defined by "the edge of Borderlands Jungle", and so if the jungle recedes, Waltens has claim on that land up to Rubicon river (maybe even beyond it).

Waltens
Waltens has full claim on Lurem, since they bankrolled its colonization and were never compensated when Lurem was emancipated by the Crown. Waltens can buy back Eastport for "twice the price", which is contentious, because how hard it is to enumerate value of opium in which Eastport traders bought the region.
Waltens also built Yellowlight, and it is still supplied from Edgeton.

Plainsdale
Big ones are Trilby and Blazer. Built by Plainsdale, they were originally administered by them, but once they reached sustainability, Southport formally demanded to be granted jurisdiction over them, as they crossed Southport's border. Southport claimed Tolls and Falseport as well, and the matter was resolved by a compromise by the Crown.
However, Southport got the long end of the stick, as Plainsdale lacked any good natural port and found it in Trilby.

The Verdant Gorge (Pincers and Twinnin) is also claimed by Plainsdale since they established these settlements as well.

Culture and Internal quarrels

Deerwood (Aberisk)
Deerwood is culturally very close to Macks in Northport (and, by proxy, Northport as a whole). It was the original settlement on the peninsula, and was originally ruled as a single province of Hythe and Macks.
However, after the establishment of Esculpir, Deerwood was moved under the jurisdiction of Aberisk administration. Consequently, there are frictions between Deerwood and Esculpir, and most Deerwoodans would much rather see them as part of Northport.
Northport itself, however, never had much political self-agency to move on the issue, and most Northportians are oblivious to Deerwood (except for old families - often elites - from Macks, who have tight bonds with citizens of Hythe).

Kerker (Versberg) and The Cons (Eastport)
Both areas were founded by exiled criminals, and traditionally have large degree of autonomy. Kerker doesn't even pay taxes.

Eden (Versberg)
Eden has the most fertile land on Versberg, it's also currently the largest city, and is the centre of lutheranism in Echain. This leads many locals to contemplate challenging Versberg City for the status of regional capital.

Great Mountain (Northport)
Great Mountain is the poor part of Northport. No large metal deposits were found, and the locals mostly sell lumber and food to the richer NorPro and WesPro and mines in The Rocks.
Naturally, locals are developing an almost separately from the rest of the region and a strong local patriotism is developing.

Planalto de Pocos (Lurem)
See Deerwood. Essentially the same situation - they are much more culturally close to Aberisk (especially Esculpir) than the Irish Lurem.

Asheviere (Lurem)
Asheviere is a booming area with extremely fertile land. As such, it's considerably richer and not that much smaller than The Toil.
Asheviere has at many points in it's past attempted to secede, or join Eastport (which supported them with promises of lesser taxes and such).
There's a lot of bad blood between Ely and Lurem City over this history, with people from The Toil seeing Ashevierans as traitors and rich bastards, and Ashevierans thinking themselves above what they call Luremites.

Galleon Bay (Eastport)
Being the centre of Catholicism, this zone's church elites are trying to push for emancipation, autonomy or supremacy over the "city of sin" that is multi-cultural and much more religiously tolerant Eastport City.

Highland (Waltens)
Highland is a newly established zone (circa 1930's) and the most recent colonisation venture. They were promised large tax cuts and subsidies, which were not observed since the Occupation, and anger will build over the issue, as these settlements cannot really sustain themselves without such support.

Heartland X Azure Bay (Waltens)
There's a very strong local rivalry between the agricultural Heartland and industrial/mining Azure Bay.

Australians (Waltens)
There's a lot of Australians in the region, especially in Colony and Ribbons, and they are trying for larger autonomy and other measures, especially since they were treated by the margraviate as 2nd class citizens.

Lower Banks (Plainsdale)
The ancient heart of Echain, with the former capital Sandy.
I don't really feel like I have to add anything more Smile

Central Isolation (Central)
Royal Central is quite isolated in the region, as the rest of the towns are to large extent prejudiced against them.

Southport Shenanigans
Trilby and Blazer are obviously much more closer to Plainsdale.
Dundarrach is inhabited by hunger refugees from Lurem.
Leesport has long-standing rivalry with Southport (dating back to the pirate age)

Wow, that's mostly everything, save a couple minor ones.
Now I'm off to create a gameplay rule-set that will never be used! Very Happy

View user profile

33 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:45 pm

I think that the other claim conflicts are okay since they are only bi-region claims. The Onceland Sea on the other hand has too many claims, it is a quad-region claim and does not make sense on a historical and geographical level.

I don't think that The Island of Grain and Fishleep should be part of so many conflicting claims. Geographically it is completely separated from Versberg by at least 200km and the entire Island Chain Northport. Even if there was some document that stated that Everything North is a part of Versberg, Versberg is not connected to the Onceland Sea so geographically Verberg cannot protect that claim. As the King is the primary owner of all the land, it can be argued that Northport, Aberisk, The Island of Grain, Fishleep, Lurem the Pearl Islands, ETC. are all owned by The Crown but in practice but realistically we all know that is not possible. So for conflicting claims it should be argued based upon each Region's activities. I can easily see how The Pearl Islands can be claimed by Lurem, Aberisk, and Northport due to the resources available there. The Islands of Grain and Fishleep on the other hand does not have any exploitable resources that any of the Regions are able to take advantage of, and they are too isolated and far from the Major cities that there was simply not enough of a reason to care about them. Most likely, these two Islands are still part of Crown Control and with all the problems the Monarchy had with money, there wasn't any incentive to settle the land.

So to sum it up, Lurem, Northport and Aberisk has the strongest claims on everything in the Onceland Sea but Aberisk has the strongest claims on them due to the fact that Aberisk is Crown owned and Lurem has much more productive land. Culturally, there would only be infighting for the Pearl Islands since that is the only resource worth fighting for.

Btw, does anyone else find it really wierd that out of all the island chains around Echain, only Orangelight, Yellowlight and Neue Spikeroog was colonized? Echain must be super undeveloped if they haven't developed the mainland enough to even look at the Island Chains

View user profile

34 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Be honest. You just want the Isle of Grain for yourself.


_________________
The Lorerunner
View user profile http://lorerunner.com/

35 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:38 pm

The Lorerunner wrote:Be honest.  You just want the Isle of Grain for yourself.

Razz Oh the foolishly fool who fool fools into foolish folly Laughing

Twisted Evil Yup, that place is one missile defense silo away from being officially called Grain Silo Cool

View user profile

36 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Gollvieg wrote:
The Lorerunner wrote:Be honest.  You just want the Isle of Grain for yourself.

Razz  Oh the foolishly fool who fool fools into foolish folly Laughing

Twisted Evil Yup, that place is one missile defense silo away from being officially called Grain Silo Cool

Right time to for you to pass that by the Minister of Defence as we have little money at the moment for your proposed silo so we will have to divert funds from the Navy. Then would you please pass this by the Governors to have the island re-named and propose a voting system for the vote that will be voted on to decide the vote that will be voted on for the upcoming vote that must be passed so we have a voting system for the vote. Oh and don't forget the vote that must be voted on to establish what kind of vote the Regional Assembly s will use to vote on the vote for the important vote that will define how the Assembly s will vote on the vote that will decide on re-naming the island. Thanks

Bradley3000, Minister of Defence Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

View user profile

37 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 pm

(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:
Gollvieg wrote:
The Lorerunner wrote:Be honest.  You just want the Isle of Grain for yourself.

Razz  Oh the foolishly fool who fool fools into foolish folly Laughing

Twisted Evil Yup, that place is one missile defense silo away from being officially called Grain Silo Cool

Right time to for you to pass that by the Minister of Defence as we have little money at the moment for your proposed silo so we will have to divert funds from the Navy. Then would you please pass this by the Governors to have the island re-named and propose a voting system for the vote that will be voted on to decide the vote that will be voted on for the upcoming vote that must be passed so we have a voting system for the vote. Oh and don't forget the vote that must be voted on to establish what kind of vote the Regional Assembly s will use to vote on the vote for the important vote that will define how the Assembly s will vote on the vote that will decide on re-naming the island. Thanks

Bradley3000, Minister of Defence Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

I swear to all that is holy I will build a death ray on that Island that can hit anything within 2000 miles

View user profile

38 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Excuse me gentlemen if you would. If you wish to find me I will be approximately 2000 miles north of the Isle of Grain. Very Happy

View user profile

39 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:00 pm

(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:Excuse me gentlemen if you would. If you wish to find me I will be approximately 2000 miles north of the Isle of Grain. Very Happy

Have fun in Siberia Twisted Evil

View user profile

40 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Gollvieg wrote:
(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:Excuse me gentlemen if you would. If you wish to find me I will be approximately 2000 miles north of the Isle of Grain. Very Happy

Have fun in Siberia Twisted Evil


Ah the motherland calls to me again!. From Siberia I will travel west to Moscow and reveal all the military secrets of Echain MUHAHAHAHAH. Whoops I said that out loud Very Happy .

View user profile

41 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:02 pm

(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:
Gollvieg wrote:
(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:Excuse me gentlemen if you would. If you wish to find me I will be approximately 2000 miles north of the Isle of Grain. Very Happy

Have fun in Siberia Twisted Evil


Ah the motherland calls to me again!. From Siberia I will travel west to Moscow and reveal all the military secrets of Echain MUHAHAHAHAH. Whoops I said that out loud Very Happy .

Our secret: we got 300 rifles max

View user profile

42 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Gollvieg wrote:
(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:
Gollvieg wrote:
(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:Excuse me gentlemen if you would. If you wish to find me I will be approximately 2000 miles north of the Isle of Grain. Very Happy

Have fun in Siberia Twisted Evil


Ah the motherland calls to me again!. From Siberia I will travel west to Moscow and reveal all the military secrets of Echain MUHAHAHAHAH. Whoops I said that out loud Very Happy .

Our secret: we got 300 rifles max

Don't forget the Death Ray of the Isle of Grain!

View user profile

43 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:21 pm

(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:
Gollvieg wrote:
(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:
Gollvieg wrote:
(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:Excuse me gentlemen if you would. If you wish to find me I will be approximately 2000 miles north of the Isle of Grain. Very Happy

Have fun in Siberia Twisted Evil


Ah the motherland calls to me again!. From Siberia I will travel west to Moscow and reveal all the military secrets of Echain MUHAHAHAHAH. Whoops I said that out loud Very Happy .

Our secret: we got 300 rifles max

Don't forget the Death Ray of the Isle of Grain!

What deathray? All I have is a Novelty Ultraviolet/Kinetic Energy tower Very Happy

It makes colorful light shows Twisted Evil

View user profile

44 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Then I will use it to light up certain strategic locations and populous centres of Echain! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . You would not mind would you? as you say it only creates pretty lights.


I really am turning quite evil since watching Marco Polo on Netflix. Dem Mongols doh.

View user profile

45 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:37 pm

(MoD) Bradley3000 wrote:Then I will use it to light up certain strategic locations and populous centres of Echain! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . You would not mind would you? as you say it only creates pretty lights.


I really am turning quite evil since watching Marco Polo on Netflix. Dem Mongols doh.

Of course not, I will give you a full demonstration of my fully operational Peace Tower. Unlike the Peace Moon, it has countless novelty micro colored light emitters specialized toward lighting up small objects from hundreds of miles away. But for you Minister you shall feel the full force of the primary party emitter Director Krennec style . Twisted Evil

View user profile

46 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:23 am

It doesn't matter whether Versberg's claim is practical; it simply does exist. And transportation troubles aren't prohibitive - see Trilby and Blazer, connected by land to Plainsdale but not Southport, or Deerwood in Aberisk, or Planalto dear Locos in Lurem.

As far as islands go, Neue Spiekeroog isn't really colonized, as Kerker is more a prison than a town. Isle of Grain was being colonised (the name was supposed to attract people) but it never panned out. Boris also has a town, and had two, but one of them was abandoned.

It's logical since the potential of the mainland isn't fully exploited.
It's also good gameplay-wise; we have a lot of space for internal colonisation and expansion, and the fact so much of Echain is undeveloped brings these conflicting claims and stuff. It's as if Echain is a barely cooled ingot of iron, still in the process of crystallisation.

View user profile

47 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Given that I am taking a break from wiki, if the stuff I wrote here becomes canon, could someone make it somewhat coherent and post it there?
I'll check it later and edit if something was misunderstood. Well, I'll more likely comment on the page so we can collectively decide on what's best.

Sidebar: I really hate my graphomania. I feel like I'm usurping the Lorerunner's and the other players capability to write their own lore bits for Echain.

View user profile

48 Re: PUBLIC - Echaini Culture on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:24 am

August is here, don't forget the Harvest Moon Festival Wink

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum