Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm by DollarD

» Turn 10-1069
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Maybe someone can volunteer to put together a video? ZGoten did one for us last year.

http://speedrun4fun.forumotion.com/t1133-our-top-20-favorite-games-the-empyrium-s-first-grand-gathering-voting

View user profile

27 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Okay, had a few ideas.  I'd like to ask some things of anyone still following this.

First, anyone who voted for Final Fantasy 7 if you'd be willing to give a quote about why it's in your top 5.  

Secondly, same question about the following games; Persona 4, Final Fantasy 9, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 6.

28 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:49 am

FF7 is in my top 5 because it was the first game to ever make me tear up, and up until then I did not think video games could do that.

View user profile

29 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 am

The Lorerunner wrote:Okay, had a few ideas.  I'd like to ask some things of anyone still following this.

First, anyone who voted for Final Fantasy 7 if you'd be willing to give a quote about why it's in your top 5.  

Secondly, same question about the following games; Persona 4, Final Fantasy 9, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 6.

Replying for now to let you know that yes, I'm still following, and yes, I will absolutely give my thoughts on FFIX and VI as soon as I have free time, probably some time Sunday evening.

View user profile

30 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite JRPG, and indeed my favorite game of all time, not just for its widely-relatable story, its breathtaking visuals, or its incredible music, but for the sheer quality with which it crafts its world. The game exudes life from every nook and cranny, and that liveliness is a big reason why I'm still alive today.

Final Fantasy VI is my second favorite game of all time, and second favorite JRPG, because of the sense of camaraderie and brotherhood that the ensemble cast has with one another. In the same way that I adore each of the various trios of Kingdom Hearts or the main party of Final Fantasy XV, I love the characters within Final Fantasy VI. The main characters, both heroes and villains, are all incredibly human and have great dynamics with their fellows and their adversaries.

View user profile

31 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm not betting on any horses here, and I don't know what the criteria for this Top 5 is, but if I may add my two cents about Final Fantasy 7. If I may try to sell you on my experience...

Final Fantasy 7 was the first rpg I played that I found engaging. I dunno if I played Legend of Dragoon before/after, but I found I did not like the timing exercises. They kill it for me. There was a cool factor in Final Fantasy 7 as well that drew me to it. In my eyes, these characters were cool dudes and all that. ShinRa was evil or whatever, and I didn't know that Avalanche was actually making things worse, but I got to see how Shinra's attempts to squash them impacted their lives negatively. Some or all characters had a reason to fight the villains that got introductions. Cloud also seemed like he was me as well, like I was able to "project" myself onto him at times. "At times" because he was only mostly a silent protag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbE8E1ez97M

It was the first game that made it big in the West and introduced me to Final Fantasy and RPG games in general, and because I enjoyed the story and enjoyed the gameplay, it set the bar in my standards for a Final Fantasy game.

In summary, it drew the attention of the West, giving the franchise much wider notoriety. That means sparking interest in what what Squaresoft of old had in the lab: Tactics, IX, Kingdom Hearts. As well as what they had already created: IV, VI, Chrono Trigger. With Final Fantasy 7, an untapped market not only enjoyed an engaging game, but they discovered Squaresoft and made them hopeful in what Square on the whole had to offer them past FF7.

At the time, my meager awareness for companies was basically this: I would play a copy of Chrono Cross that was borrowed and think, "oh, Squaresoft made this. I like Squaresoft games." It meant little, but it meant something back then that Squaresoft was behind the name of a game I enjoyed. Of course now I know Chrono Cross gave the finger to lore or something. Later in high school when playing Tactics and I'd think "Ah, Squaresoft, Papa bless old friend." Cuz I knew they'd become Square Enix. I didn't know about the squirrels then. I just knew they were "different".

View user profile

32 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:37 am

he asked for a quote so I gave a short quote Razz guess I could of gone into more depth but the my experience was similar to RorytheRomulan only difference was my first RPG experience was Super Mario RPG, and I don't "project" myself onto characters.

View user profile

33 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:52 am

For Persona 4, I am not sure how long you want the quote to be Lorerunner, so I will explain why it is in my top 5 in a sentence.

Persona 4 is in my Top 5 because it is a dungeon crawler JRPG that utilizes the incorporation of simulation elements to develop the various characters in the game, yet these same elements also rewards the player with benefits in the fusion of personas along with new tactics to use in the battle system and, through its storytelling, explores the theme of accepting the contrasting and conflicting aspects of one's identity to discover the true nature of a person's mind.

View user profile

34 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Just 5? Above all else? Impossible to pick, I'd probably change my answer when I remember something else. That said, in no particular order:

- Final Fantasy VII;
- Shining Force I (the GBA remake is a better game in almost all respects, but I like the old one too, for the color palette and music, if nothing else);
- Fire Emblem 9 (it was an attempt to merge a great number of elements introduced and / or codified in FE1, FE 4 and FE 7; while it did not knock it out of the park on most positions, it was a damn good try; a shame that the series have since backslid on a number of things that have been achieved there);
- Front Mission 5 (while it employs some narrative tropes and gameplay design decisions I do not agree with, the atmosphere has undeniably, chillingly strong peaks, accompanied by some of the most memorable 'turn based on a grid' scenarios I have seen; the plot designed to tie up the previous four main games, yet still make sense when standing completely on its own deserves a special mention);
- Xenosaga 1 (while each of the three main games have its own ups and downs, I have to give it to the first one for some characterisation scenes that have since refused to let me go; final boss and final dungeon music being pleasing to my ear for once is something I also quite enjoy);

XXX

As for the FF7 question, I am going to quote the answer I gave to ZGoten back when the previous poll video was made:

- Simple gameplay that at the same time allows for a surprising amount of flexible customization and experimentation.

- Outstanding use of visual, aural and gameplay methods in creating a compelling atmosphere.

- The narrative willing to explore qualities of the human mind usually avoided by the genre, thus allowing for a higher degree of identification with the characters than an otherwise fantastic story format would allow.

- Usage of daringly relevant to current day themes without laying down the authors' opinion on the matter in a too heavy-handed manner.

- Solid replay value.

An all around excellent experience despite its flaws and limitations.

XXX

Looking back on it, points number 3 and 4 should have perhaps been worded differently or not all, but whatever.

View user profile

35 Re: Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am

So I haven't really been following the genre since the early 00s and don't quite feel comfortable ranking them, but I like the presentation/poll idea.

1. Mother 3 (GBA) - It has by far the best overall writing in the genre, avoids many tropes I dislike, the aesthetics are near flawless and the rhythm system is addiciting.

2. Langrisser II (MD) - A pretty good challenge and has just the right amount of depth in terms of customization. Fantastic music. Story is pretty standard anime stuff, but generally entertaining.

3. FF7 (PS1/PC) - First (FF?) RPG protagonist that isn't basically a stoic warrior or jokester stereotype, best soundtrack and I just like the lifestream stuff. Battle system gimmicks might not be the most creative, but they work well, and the aesthetics are strong enough to shine through the technical flaws.

4. Lunar 2 (MCD) - A big step up for the genre and series in terms of presentation and immersion and one case where I like most of working design's imprint on the game. Again, great music.

5. FF5 (SNES/GBA) - First of the 2D FFs that I found actually fun to play for the most part, with interesting mechanics, interface improvements and better dungeon and world design. Considering how much of older JRPGs consist of battles, planning and exploration I feel this is a really big deal, on par with the improved character and story writing of FF4.

HM: Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, Dragon Quest 3 (SNES ver.), Shining Force II, FF9, FF6, Suikoden

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum