» MCU Discussion Links - Historical
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm by DollarD

» Turn 10-1069
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rules of Procedure for the Council of Governors

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Felix Clary zu Osseg wrote:Now this really only works properly if both are awaiting discussion at the same time. Because say bill B is proposed on Tuesday, person A says "I don't like it", then person A proposes bill A on Wednesday, and... does person B propose a trade of support? Why? I mean, A already said he doesn't like it. And even if person A proposes the trade and B accepts, what then? Does A turn on a dime? He could, but especially given how twitchy and paranoid we all are, this would have serious negative ramifications for both A and B.
To this, I'd simply ask if you noticed Gollvieg's flip on the PRAT bill and my minimal resistance on the monthly budget? That was a trade of support started well after discussion, and one I felt seemed fairly natural. Or even my asking for compromise after majority had been reached on the conscription bill, which Bradley and Gollvieg felt contributed to the bill and added it without need for political gain?

I do like your system of agendas and themes, but I can see a major advantage to having a set voting time. One of my major annoyances, and one I'm sure I've committed as well, is when a bill is proposed and is immediately voted on. While the time limits would help, I feel like they're a bit ephemeral and it might be hard to keep up. A simple easily convertible time each week on which to make sure you're available or proxy your vote seems a huge boon. If you can work further on massaging your agenda/themes system to work with that, I think I'd be pretty happy with the result.

View user profile
Doing deals ad hoc is possible, but it is limited (what if Gollvieg was previously very vocal about his disagreement with PRAT? Flip would be very suspicious), and even if it wasn't, making strategy before a setting adds to the game.
As for voting, I pretty much agree on the "vote until turn's end" system proposed by Lorerunner. An act would be discussed in a session, and then a thread VOTING: Act XY would open, where people could vote up until the end of a turn.

EDIT: question is, what about stuff that's necesarry to be dealt with faster. Like executive action etc. etc. - maybe have an option for shortened procedure for these cases?

Last edited by Felix Clary zu Osegg on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
Yeah that all sounds good.

View user profile
The Lorerunner wrote:Rather than editing the previous post I'm just going to add this here as a summary:

My designed compromise is to essentially use Karbin's proposed idea in drafting, editing, amending, adding to, and otherwise crafting laws and arguing issues, but allow votes to drag on to the end of the week after a summary is put forth.

This is not official yet though, I'd like feedback before I implement such an idea.

I am in favor of this idea as it creates the greatest amount of time to vote while at the same time allow us to work on multiple issues at the same time. I feel it is an acceptable solution

View user profile
With events and issues most likely showing up at the start of a turn and most decisions and actions only coming into action at the following turn, I think that extending the voting period to the weekend makes sense. As for emergencies; as Lore pointed out, these will most likely be handled by the delegates, within their mandate. Delegates can request input from the legislative through the delegate's threads. In most cases, actual legislation concerning resolution of emergencies can generally be made through the normal method. The only thing that comes to my mind that would require immediate decissionmaking on part of the legislative is the invoking of the emergency conscription act, and since that requires almost unanimity, this probably isn't going to be voted on quickly in any case.

Last edited by Cecasander on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
What if the problem is not in jurisdiction of any Delegate?

View user profile
I think that most foreign or military-based emergencies are covered by the delegates, and that governors are generally the first responders for local emergencies (such as natural disasters). In such cases, other provinces are expected to provide direct aid as well. There's also FEMA the Rangers, who have the ability to respond to national-scale emergencies.

View user profile
As far as I know, the only issue now is the question of "shortened sessions". I defer in that to Lorerunner.
After that is resolved, I'll update my bill to reflect the compromise reached, so we have the protocol for the next turn (April)

View user profile
I'm fine with an 'emergency shortened session' policy. Honestly I'd kind of hope the players would want to be a bit more active if, say, you invaded New Zealand.

Invade New Zealand? WHHHHHYYYYYY!? Kiwiis are some of the nicest people in the world, and unlike most colonies they didn't do terrible things to the native and instead incorporated them into their culture. Whoever proposed that is stone cold evil.

View user profile
Well. New Zealand is a lush territory with almost no ability to resist. At this point in history they have even less of a military than you do. And Britain is at its weakest point in centuries right now, unable to really do much about it.

I'll revise my act in an hour.

View user profile
The Lorerunner wrote:Well.  New Zealand is a lush territory with almost no ability to resist.  At this point in history they have even less of a military than you do.  And Britain is at its weakest point in centuries right now, unable to really do much about it.  

At this Point Taiwan is an even better target because unlike NZ, they are not allies with any superpower and until Mao's campaign is done, no one cares about Asians

View user profile
If I may, between New Zealand, Indonesia, and Taiwan, we seem to have plenty of possibilities for expansion. All we'd need to do is handle the diplomatic side of things to ensure the Soviets and the Americans don't try to intervene.

View user profile
Governor Gollvieg wrote:
The Lorerunner wrote:Well.  New Zealand is a lush territory with almost no ability to resist.  At this point in history they have even less of a military than you do.  And Britain is at its weakest point in centuries right now, unable to really do much about it.  

At this Point Taiwan is an even better target because unlike NZ, they are not allies with any superpower and until Mao's campaign is done, no one cares about Asians

I agree and as much as I despise Mao we might earn his gratitude by eliminating a major stronghold of the Republic of China.

View user profile
Governor Bradley3000 wrote:
Governor Gollvieg wrote:

I agree and as much as I despise Mao we might earn his gratitude by eliminating a major stronghold of the Republic of China.

Or he might want Taiwan himself in which case, the potential targets for invasion shrinks to 1: The People's Democratic Republic of China.

I know it seems a daunting task but it'll be good to take the fight to that Bastard

View user profile
And the closest targets - Philippines and Indonesia - are out of consideration because...?

(also from my perspective this is all OOC talk)

View user profile
The Philippines because of the US,
Indonesia, would probably be the safest bet.

View user profile
Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:And the closest targets - Philippines and Indonesia - are out of consideration because...?

Phillipines are out because of the US, and Indonesia has one of the most deadly Jungle Fighters in the World. I would not like our chances in a fight with them on their home turf. If you insist on Indonesia, might I suggest we build ourselves up a lot more?

View user profile
Governor Gollvieg wrote:
Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:And the closest targets - Philippines and Indonesia - are out of consideration because...?

Phillipines are out because of the US, and Indonesia has one of the most deadly Jungle Fighters in the World. I would not like our chances in a fight with them on their home turf. If you insist on Indonesia, might I suggest we build ourselves up a lot more?

Indonesia is currently in a state of pseudo independence as they have declared it without recognition from the UN and are still at war with the Netherlands. The Netherlands will not be able to do anything to us considering the occupation and de-militarisation that occurred from this and Indonesia itself has no national identity and are easily coerce able. We can come to the PEOPLE and offer them a system of government (like that of New Zealand to Britain, if a little more strict) where they still take all orders from us but handle some of their own affairs. We could easily put that to them as the better alternative and we could say we are defending them from the Dutch.

View user profile
Philippines will soon be left by the US. Indonesia can be susceptible to propaganda and diplo-annex, if we tried.

View user profile

97 Passed, Archive Please on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:18 pm

This proposal was passed,

Forman: Felix
Deputy Forman: Gollvieg

Please Archive

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum