Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Today at 2:10 pm by ZeroCool

» Turn 1-1068
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 pm by wolfking2k

» Turn 12-1067
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm by Spartanmario

» Player Houses
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Koth Meeting
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 am by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Chelsey Wright: hiring a lawyer
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Tyranny Coupon 50%
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm by TheUltimateParadoxs

» Warlords II: Turn Four - Departure of a Hero
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Greedfall, new game by Spiders: teaser trailer
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:16 am by RorytheRomulan

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Can you tell me why?

View user profile

52 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:As a compromise, I propose the following:

Tariffs will be set by Bureau for Foreign Trade. In this bureau, Region's will have an amount of votes re-negotiated under each Council so as to reflect the structure of international trade (main trading ports and hubs). The first distribution of votes will be 33% Southport, 33% Eastport, and 33% equally divided between the rest of the regions.

I would reject this. Your position as a port region should not entitle you to any greater say in this matter.

View user profile

53 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Governor Grifenknight wrote:Can you tell me why?

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:If one region places a tariff of 10% on all imports and another places 5%, people will import goods to the region with lower tariffs and just bring the goods across the border to sell. This makes competing on tariff rates profitable in the short term for individual regions, but will apply a downwards pressure on all of our revenue and does not protect our domestic industry from foreign imports.

View user profile

54 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:
Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:As a compromise, I propose the following:

Tariffs will be set by Bureau for Foreign Trade. In this bureau, Region's will have an amount of votes re-negotiated under each Council so as to reflect the structure of international trade (main trading ports and hubs). The first distribution of votes will be 33% Southport, 33% Eastport, and 33% equally divided between the rest of the regions.

I would reject this. Your position as a port region should not entitle you to any greater say in this matter.

This deals with the problem of non-uniform tariffs, can we agree on that fact?

As for the power distribution in the bureau, regions most affected by a measure should have most say in it. If we were discussing agricultural quotas, would you agree to have equal vote as, say, Northport?

View user profile

55 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:09 pm

I agree it deals with that issue that is correct.

Do you see the appeal of the PRAT bill now? But you are incorrect. It is not Eastport and Southport most affected by the issue of tariffs. After all, your regional governments would be the ones collecting much of that revenue. It is regions like Northport, Lurem, and Plainsdale who have the most to lose. If Eastport and Southport attempt to increase trade through low tariffs you could decimate the demand for all domestic goods and destroy our industry and agricultural sectors. The two regions who have most to gain and least to lose from low tariffs should not have 66% of the vote.

View user profile

56 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:13 pm

And Plainsdale has most to gain by lowering taxes on agricultural goods, so regions like Northport or Lurem, or Waltens, those are the most affected, as cheap foods from Plainsdale could destroy their local agriculture.
In my system, I demand that, for the first session (i.e. until the re-negotiation), eastport and Southport get at least 50+1 majority.

View user profile

57 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:18 pm

What do you mean by low taxes on agricultural goods? I'm sorry, I don't quite follow.

View user profile

58 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Can you think of another mechanism, other than tariffs that would protect domestic industry from cheap imports lowering demand?

View user profile

59 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Say Plainsdale decides to subsidise farmers or give them tax exemption to increase production. How is that different from Southport maintaining low tariffs to increase trade?

And you misunderstand my point. I don't mind tariffs, but I maintain that regions most directly affected should have more say than those which aren't.

View user profile

60 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:24 pm

One is wholly domestic, the other deals with external trade. If agriculture moves to Plainsdale rather than Southport, that does not harm Echain. If industry moves to America that harms Echain.

View user profile

61 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Yes. That's why I agree that it shouldn't be entirely Regional matter. But it's not also entirely National.
If Plainsdale has the same say in tariffs as Eastport, Plainsdale can use that to pressure Eastport and gain political power over it, thus disrupting internal political power balance and making Eastport (and Southport) second-class regions.

View user profile

62 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:28 pm

And yet allowing Eastport and Southport to have all the say does the same to even more regions.

View user profile

63 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:And yet allowing Eastport and Southport to have all the say does the same to even more regions.

No it doesn't. Because Eastport doesn't have all the say, and Southport doesn't have all the say. Instead, they together would have 50+1, but what makes you think priorities of Eastport and Southport are the same? What makes you think they'll vote in unison?
You also neglect the fact that Eastport-Southport majority in the matter is not effective political tool, as it affects all the other regions. However, if tariffs are decided by an equal vote, they are a targeted weapon against Southport and Eastport.

Also, who do tariffs affect most? Eastport and Southport. Because they don't only affect their industry and their agriculture, but also their trade. Just like agricultural policy affects all the regions, but Plainsdale is still affected most.

As for the argument that trade is special because it "weakens Echain" (which is debatable, but let's not go there), then why should Eastport and Southport focus on it? Why even have trade?
If tariffs are decided by an equal vote, my regional government will take steps towards changing the region's focus.

View user profile

64 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:50 pm

I expect you will vote in unison, because your economies are similar, your industries aren't that large, (combined your two regions have the same industry as Plainsdale) and you will likely view increasing trade as your priority.

It is an even more effective political tool. You will have power over all the regions. You can pit us against each other to get the best concessions possible.

Because export is important in bringing in money, we also require many imported goods, including those necessary for our industry. Trade is important and I would never argue in and of itself weakens Echain. It is when imported goods are cheaper than domestic goods that issues arise.

If that is what you decide, so be it. Other regions will pick up the slack, we will not be strongarmed into agreeing with you.

View user profile

66 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:58 pm

This discussion should be moved to the new topic.

This topic is reserved for the discussion, implementation, and questions involving the Monthly Budget

View user profile

67 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:38 pm

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:Will state-owned industries and businesses be taken into account in a region's revenue?
They already are, basically, with regards to the Industry stat.

68 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 am

Cool, thanks.

View user profile

69 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:25 am

I would like to borrow 10 Million ESP from the National Bank, bringing my debt up to 23 M ESP

View user profile

70 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 am

Ummm.... Isnt the whole entire reserve 10 ESP?

View user profile

71 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Governor Grifenknight wrote:Ummm....  Isnt the whole entire reserve 10 ESP?

National Bank actually has 100 ESP which were not even released to the Government, and the Government never asked for them.

View user profile

72 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Well, the bank is controlled by the government, so make them give it. We've used our funds effectivly and now there is no pesky Karbin in the way. Very Happy

Also, Feliz, will you send the loan over any time soon?

View user profile

73 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Governor Grifenknight wrote:Well, the bank is controlled by the government, so make them give it.  We've used our funds effectivly and now there is no pesky Karbin in the way. Very Happy

Also, Feliz, will you send the loan over any time soon?

No.... the central bank is an independent org within the gov. That is why I respect it's authority to issue loans.

View user profile

74 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Well, it has a lot of independence, but nobody even asked them if they'll release the rest 100 ESP to the Government.

OOC: I won't do it because of meta-conlict of interest

View user profile

75 Re: Reoccurring Issue: Monthly Budget on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:Well, it has a lot of independence, but nobody even asked them if they'll release the rest 100 ESP to the Government.

OOC: I won't do it because of meta-conlict of interest

OOC: I won't do it because I believe that as the second most poor Region in Echain I do not believe I should push more debt onto the Regions if they do not need it. Aberisk needs it and thus will borrow 10 ESP. I doubt Eastport with it's +5 ESP income would wish to borrow a ton of money they do not need.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum