Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:50 pm by Frieza2000

» Turn 3-1068
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite Anime & Manga

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu May 07, 2015 2:20 pm

ZGoten wrote:For all the people who like DBZ that much: Is that just nostalgia, a guilty pleasure or do you genuinely think it's a good series? Because the show just doesn't hold up anymore. The same formula has been redone and improved upon many times.

the dbz kai edition is pretty decent. it cuts the filler is remastered to 16:9 1080p and looks relativly good. untill freeza end its less than 60 episodes

View user profile

27 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu May 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Well, pacing is just one of the issues DBZ had ... so there are still a lot of them remaining in Kai.

View user profile

28 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu May 07, 2015 3:05 pm

ZGoten wrote:Well, pacing is just one of the issues DBZ had ... so there are still a lot of them remaining in Kai.

nostalgia is prbly a thing, i personally prefer the db where goku was still a kid and i think the movies and other series are not worth watching.
have to admit, last rewatch is a few years in the past

View user profile

29 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu May 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Some of my favorites off of the top of my head;

• From The New World: Ignoring my gripes with the ending, this series just nails foreshadowing and dread. While not strictly categorized as, "Horror," the show does everything that good horror needs to do; make you feel uncomfortable while tempting you to continue onward. It's such a shame that this series didn't sell well.

• JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) + Stardust Crusaders: After 20 minutes of trying to compile my thoughts on both of these series, I'm just going to say that they're really fun and you should go watch it. It's simple storytelling at its finest.

• THE UNLIMITED Hyoubu Kyousuke: As someone who doesn't care about the original franchise that this spinoff is attached to, I found this show to be highly enjoyable. The exploration of the main character and the title character are interesting alongside providing nice contrast with each-other.

View user profile http://www.reddit.com/user/V8_Ninja

30 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu May 07, 2015 3:49 pm

V8_Ninja wrote:Some of my favorites off of the top of my head;

• From The New World: Ignoring my gripes with the ending, this series just nails foreshadowing and dread. While not strictly categorized as, "Horror," the show does everything that good horror needs to do; make you feel uncomfortable while tempting you to continue onward. It's such a shame that this series didn't sell well.

I constantly point to this anime when I talk about how proper horror should be done. Not gory, in-your-face jump scares or anything disgusting, but implied, background/off-screen horror that makes the show have an amazing unnerving and creepy atmosphere throughout its course. I really like this anime, great pick there.

View user profile

31 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu May 07, 2015 4:03 pm

niko wrote:
ZGoten wrote:Well, pacing is just one of the issues DBZ had ... so there are still a lot of them remaining in Kai.

nostalgia is prbly a thing, i personally prefer the db where goku was still a kid and i think the movies and other series are not worth watching.
have to admit, last rewatch is a few years in the past

Agreed, the original Dragon Ball is way better. It just has way better writing. There's a sense of adventure, there are more characters that actually matter, the humor is better and the fights are more interesting.

View user profile

32 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu May 07, 2015 4:11 pm

I haven't watched anything Dragon Ball, whether it's DBZ or the original (except for a few DBZ abridged episodes, but everyone's seen those) and instead grew up with Pokémon.

I do, however, watch this whenever I can. I think it's hilarious. Very Happy
http://teamfourstar.com/series/twosaiyansplay/

View user profile

33 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu May 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Ok here are my Favorites:

Aria:
Especially the Anime of this is just soooooooo relaxing to watch.

Fairy Tale:
I really love the Manga, but I LOVE the Anime series even more because of the voice acting. No other series makes me laugh so hard in the present time. And it´s the only of this very long series where even the filler arcs are canon, because they are directed by the Author himself Very Happy

Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi:
The Manga is already finished, but there will be new anime episodes!!

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z:
There will be new episodes for this one!!

Clannad and Clannad after Story:
All these feelings in the second season Sad

Pani Poni Dash
Just a big attack on my brain Shocked

Haibane Renmei:
On this one I liked the english dub better than the original one, even today.

Captain Future:
The favorite of my youth and even today I watch it from time to time.

Azumanga Daioh:
Osaka is all I will say about this one Cool

there are far more I like, but this are my favorites.

View user profile

34 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Fri May 08, 2015 1:41 pm

It's always fun to look back at your favorites and list them out:

1) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (And it's second season Kai)
This could easily be my favorite anime period. Which is weird because it doesn't obviously fit into my favorite genres. The first season especially has a lot of scary moments, there is some real terror and unsettling stuff going on. Enough so that watching this at night was probably a bad decision. But as a whole I think the series is great. The visuals are way better in the second season, but the story holds up. The characters are really likable, some of my favorite characters out there. There is a good mystery that builds up throughout the story until finally they reveal what is going on. There is also a good message in there about enduring and overcoming insurmountable odds. Hard to really talk about a show like this without spoilers. So will just say that the struggle of one character in this show really impressed me and made me care about what was happening.

2) Natsume Yuujinchou
Another really good show in my view. While it's a show with spirits and monsters and all that stuff, the focus is much more on the emotional growth of the main character. Someone who because he could see things that other people couldn't, was isolated, insulted and eventually became very inwardly focused and constantly lying. Just never telling people the truth about what he was seeing so that he'd just be a slightly strange guy rather than someone everyone thought was crazy. The show just has very good emotional moments. It tells a lot of little stories about the people Natsume encounters and deals with. You see some bittersweet moments, some nice moments, and some sad ones. But throughout the seasons you see him grow as a person and become someone you can really care about.

3) Digimon Season 1
Pure nostalgia pick here. This was one of the first shows I ever saw and it stuck with me to this day. It was just a fun series. Some kids get tossed into this strange world, have to struggle, survive and overcome. The cast was nice, the action was really good, and I enjoyed the battles with the digimon. It also had some serious moments where the main cast fails or screws up and suffer the consequences.

4) Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
This is a show you could recommend to anyone. A full remake of the original, with them sticking to the source material the whole way this time. It just does so many things right. The visuals are great, the story is great, and the characters have some really good moments in there. It's everything I'd want from a fantasy story driven series. It would have been a shame to not redo the show this way and I'm glad they did. This is the hope for any series that could use a remake.

5) Slayers
Another nostalgia pick. This was the best fantasy show I'd seen when I was a kid. It just combined things so well. It was a really funny series with one of the best dubs I've ever heard. But even with all the comedy the show knew when to flip the switch and be serious. It could go extremely serious with death, blood, and just some emotional punches. People certainly died in that show and there was a sense of danger once the mood shifted.

And here's just a few more shows without as big a write up for them:

6) Inuyasha
7) Seitokai no Ichizon
8] Steins;Gate
9) Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
10) One Piece

View user profile http://www.anime-evo.net

35 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Fri May 08, 2015 2:06 pm

I dunno what all you guys are on about, this is clearly the best anime ever made.

36 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Fri May 08, 2015 4:48 pm

The Lorerunner wrote:I dunno what all you guys are on about, this is clearly the best anime ever made.

I was expecting this to lead to Inferno Cop. Animaniacs is unironically one of my favorite shows though - they don't make them like this anymore. Sad

By the way, for those who haven't, watch Inferno Cop. It's just as amazing bad as it sounds.

View user profile

37 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Fri May 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Theodoricos wrote:
The Lorerunner wrote:I dunno what all you guys are on about, this is clearly the best anime ever made.

I was expecting this to lead to Inferno Cop. Animaniacs is unironically one of my favorite shows though - they don't make them like this anymore. Sad

By the way, for those who haven't, watch Inferno Cop. It's just as amazing bad as it sounds.
That really was a solid classic. Certainly can't forget some of the entertaining North American animation that has come out over the years.

38 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sat May 09, 2015 7:14 am

Oh, are we listing great American animated shows now? I'll add the DCAU minus The Zeta Project to that list then.

Batman: TAS
Superman: TAS
Batman Beyond
Static Shock
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited

Last edited by Kolson Wezrae on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

39 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sat May 09, 2015 10:49 am

Avatar: The Last Airbender is pretty much the perfect show.

View user profile

40 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sat May 09, 2015 4:55 pm

ZGoten wrote:Avatar: The Last Airbender is pretty much the perfect show.

Love that show as well. So good, especially its second season, with so many good characters - Iroh and Toph being my favorites of the bunch. I was put off by the high episode count initially but I'm glad I overlooked that because I enjoyed it so much that I practically marathoned it. Didn't feel the time passing at all.

I also enjoyed The Legend of Korra, mostly its last two seasons. I know not everyone agrees with that but I thought they were legitimately great seasons. To be frank I liked the previous two as well to some extent or another, but they were noticeably flawed.

View user profile

41 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sat May 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Theodoricos wrote:I also enjoyed The Legend of Korra, mostly its last two seasons. I know not everyone agrees with that but I thought they were legitimately great seasons. To be frank I liked the previous two as well to some extent or another, but they were noticeably flawed.

I really liked the last airbender, by contrast I lost interest in Korra after the first season.

IMO the animation was still really good, especially for fight scenes, I liked how the setting evolved in terms of technology, I liked Tenzin, Lin and I liked the villain for the most part. However as you said it was heavily flawed.

It doesn't have the globe trotting adventure of the last airbender and is instead rooted to one city.
I didn't care about the pro bending.
I DEFINITELY didn't care about the love triangle.
I wished Mako was more than just Korra's love interest and I wished Bolin was more than comedic relief (Remember those moments in The last airbender where Sokka had character and was actually competent in some of the fights)
The Villains twist kinda sidestepped the whole topic of equality between benders and non benders.

Apparently the second season is worse, so I don't know if I want to slog through another "meh" season to get to the good parts, that and the whole Korrasami situation has kinda put me off the show.

If they do make another Avatar series, I would be interested to see one set in a time where the Avatar wasn't needed, where there were no villains to fight or Apocalyptic events to stop. And we get an avatar that, no matter where he/she looked, couldn't find any meaning in his life that they were promised when they discovered their powers.

Side note, The legend of Korra game is actually pretty decent and I would recommend it to any Korra fans or anyone that's interested in spectacle fighters (or whatever platinum makes), the combat is really satisfying and the animations are great, however it is a tv licensed game, so the level design does feel barren and the balance hasn't gotten enough attention to make it always fair, due to the lack of dev time and budget these games usually have.

View user profile

42 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sat May 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Just on a side note so not to derail the anime discussion,

Will say I think the big weakness for Korra was the lack of confidence the creators had in it. The first Avatar was well focused on this big adventure that would take a long time to cover. Korra never seemed sure it would go beyond the current season so tried to stay on stories that could be resolved within a single season. Stories that sometimes got so over the top that they deserved and should have taken a lot longer to tell than one season. If they do more Avatar shows I sure hope they plan them out better and have confidence to tell a story that will take time.

43 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sun May 10, 2015 4:41 pm

BLAME! for favorite manga. One of the few things i actually have a favorite of. Lots of other stuff i really like, but BLAME! speaks to me like nothing else in fiction has.

I don't know about Anime, lots of contenders: Mushishi, Planetes, Knights of Sidonia, Monster, Azumanga Daioh, Kino no Tabi, Jin-Roh, Spriggan, Berserk, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Baccano, Ergo Proxy, Eve no Jikan, Tekkon Kinkreet, Haibane Renmei, Rurouni Kenshin, Last Exile, Pale Cocoon, Paranoia Agent. In no particular order, and i may have forgotten a few.

Honorable mention to Evangelion, which almost no one today can give an objective and unbiased opinion on due to how horrendously polarized it has become, regardless of how central a piece of Anime history it will always be. The first half of EoE in particular is pure cinematographic genius, even if what comes right after just makes me wanna look away, shake my head and wonder why.

View user profile

44 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sun May 10, 2015 5:16 pm

Theodoricos wrote:I also enjoyed The Legend of Korra, mostly its last two seasons. I know not everyone agrees with that but I thought they were legitimately great seasons. To be frank I liked the previous two as well to some extent or another, but they were noticeably flawed.

Same here. The first two seasons, especially the second one, were really underwhelming, but book 3 and 4 improved on it a lot and almost reached "ATLA" levels of quality. Zaheer is one of my favorite bad guys of the universe.

View user profile

45 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sat May 16, 2015 12:31 am

My two cents on Avatar - The Last Airbender; I couldn't get into it. Ignoring the question of whether or not it's an anime series and my personal issues with its process of production, I just don't find anything enjoyable in it. The action is neat but done better elsewhere, the jokes are aimed at an audience that definitely doesn't include me, and the characters feel like amalgamations of other characters I've already seen. If you like Avatar: TLA then go ahead and enjoy it, I'm no fun police, but it's got nothing for me.

Anyways, I've been catching up on stuff from this Spring 2015 season and Punch Line is amazing me despite how dumb and generally off-putting its premise is. Each episode is expanding upon the relationships that each character has to every other character and each episode is continuing to hint at some really big problems that are (hopefully) going to take center stage later on in the show. Granted, Punch Line could easily fall apart if it doesn't deliver on those plot points, but I've heard that the series writer's other works, specifically 999 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, deliver on having amazing endings that tie everything together in a coherent manner, so I'm pretty excited for where the show is going.

And to save a shred of credibility, I'll end this post by saying the ultimate truth; Blood Blockade Battlefront is easily the best show this season and that's entirely due to the director of Kyousougiga being amazing. Also, the opening and closing of that show are downright beautiful.

View user profile http://www.reddit.com/user/V8_Ninja

46 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sat May 16, 2015 1:33 am

Anime I have seen and liked:

Ergo Proxy
Not much to say about it. Was cool and got me through two long plane rides. I watched the entire series on a 2.5 inch MP3 player screen with subtitles.

Dragonball Z
I haven't seen the majority of the episodes by far, but what I've seen what pretty funny and just the right amount of campy. I can see why this is a beloved series.

Death Note
Very much enjoyed Death Note. I think the main reason is that I wasn't stuck on the other end of the "whodunnit" anime which I absolutely despise. I can go on and on about how much I dislike how most anime does investigation and reasoning, but I disgress. Stopped on the episode Silence since I heard negative things sabout the continuation and I thought that was a perfectly good ending.

Naruto
Yeah, yeah, I know. This one comes with the disclaimer that I am referring to the early stuff before they finished the trials and whatnot. Then it went back in to the regular anime shlock and became Magic Ninja Wizards: My Bloodline is Greater Than Yours! Not unique to Naruto, but not something I enjoy. Stopped watching when it got in to that.

Soul Eater
This one was just fun. That's all I have to say about that.

Evangelion
Kind of a cop out, but I did genuinely enjoy the old series, what we have of the new series, and (most) of the movies.

Memories
I loved this anthology - especially Magnetic Rose.

Studio Ghibli
Haven't seen anything I won't watch again from this studio ... so far.

Code Geass
Kind of a mixed bag and barely makes it to the favorites list, but overall a fun series even if it did get a little silly near the end and embrace the anime shlock a bit.

Samurai Champloo
'nuff said.

Cowboy Bebop
One of the few series I will actually want to watch specific episodes of again.

Ghost in the Shell
The first film specifically. Another repeat viewing for me.

I could write several paragraphs on this one and Korra. Needless to say, they're both favorites although Korra barely inches on there and mainly does so due to some very clever writing which got absolutely buthered by their ever changing future and the studio. It almost makes me angry how this series could have been so much better if a certain studio could have gotten their head out of their rear.

Haruhi Suzumiya
Purely because of season 2. Hilarious.

Robotech
Because of course.

View user profile http://thethirdgames.com

47 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sun May 17, 2015 6:37 am

Oh there are two more Animes I really like:

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien:
The first episode is really romantic and lighthearted and tells a story of Takayuki Narumi and Haruka Suzumiya two Teenagers falling in Love.
All is well, but at the end of the episode the Girl is run over by a car and falls into a coma for three years. In this time her best friend Mitsuki Hayase, who is also a classmate of Takayuki, tries to comfort him ...

EF - A Tale of Memories:
Especially the Story about Renji Asō and Chihiro Shindō, a girl with a certain type of Amnesia that let´s her forget all that´s more than 13 hours in the past so she needs to write everything important into her Diary, is really heartwarming.

View user profile

48 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 am

I still watch the old batman, justice league and xmen cartoons with my son. Might be nostalgia but I enjoy them a lot.

View user profile

49 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Mon May 25, 2015 5:46 pm

I've been watching anime for a long time, the first being Samurai Pizza Cats. Then I started viewing what we had aired in the USA on networks during that early 90s period like Sailor Moon and what was premiered on Sci-fi channel and very early in the morning on major networks like HBO and Cinemax. During this time I got My Neighbor Totoro on VHS which I liked. From 1991 to 1999 I very rarely watched anime from that point until I watched the first season of Pokemon in 1999. My viewing of anime on a consistent basis skyrocketed due to anime gaining more momentum in America thanks to Toonami and Adult Swim, enjoyed so much quality animes on these two programs on Cartoon Network. I have enjoyed more than least of the hundreds of animes I watched from then to now.

I really cannot say a top 10 of all time in the purest sense because since I've watched so much for so long I categorize anime by genre: action, comedy, romance, drama, slice of life, fanservice, movie, show, etc. I stopped watching anime consistently in 2009 for various reasons, I latest one I watched all the way through was Kill la Kill which I liked on an almost above average level so there you go. I am glad that anime is getting more momentum in America as time goes on thanks to hardworking creators, fans, conventions, and the internet. However since we in America have more access to the other side of the world via internet than we ever did before when it comes to this medium, I don't believe we need networks in America to host them since a majority of fans are going to watch the new animes when they first show in Japan. Most may not know japanese, including myself, but it's never long when subtitles for the new animes come out.

Maybe it's just me, but the pro and con of anime being more acceptable today than when I was in grade, middle, and high school is that anime was more of a rare thing that introduced many things from a literary and entertainment sense to such a small group of Americans than a majority of the animation we got here in America did for us before anime started to boom here. Now the major con to this of course is that it wasn't as acceptable back then like it is now but I look at a majority of anime now as overused tropes instead of originalities. Guess that comes with watching the medium for so long. I started consistently reading manga in the mid 2000s and have read a good number but nowhere near read as much manga as I have watched animes.

I will give my current top 10 animes series, anime movies, OVAs, mangas, and video game movies/OVAs of this current time with no order of best to least for either of them. Like I said previously I have not been viewing much anime lately and I also have not been reading much manga lately. I should note that I will be including a show that has numerous references to anime and was created by an anime studio even though it could be considered American animation to a lot of people since it's roots is in America and the show first aired in America. It's my choice to include it regardless of it being pure anime or not to others and I'm sticking with it:

Series:
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
School Rumble
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
The Boondocks
Mushi-Shi
Monster
Yu Yu Hakusho
Code Geass
Death Note

Movies:
Ghost in the Shell (1995 Version)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop the Movie
Redline
Princess Mononoke
Ninja Scroll
Sword of the Stranger
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann the Movie 2
Paprika
Akira (I edited the entire climax out of my copy of the film and all visual references the film made to it. Those who have watched the film know what climax I'm talking about and why it's edited out).

OVAs:
Hellsing Ultimate
Fooly Cooly
Karas
The Animatrix
Tenchi Muyo!
Blue Submarine No. 6
Read or Die
Golden Boy
Rurouni Kenshin
Afro Samurai

Mangas:
Berserk
DragonBall
Trigun
Bleach
One Piece
Claymore
School Rumble
Battle Angel
Gantz
Akira (I edited the entire climax out of my copy of the 6th book of the manga and all visual references the manga made to it. Those who have read the manga know what climax I'm talking about and why it's edited out).

Video Game Movies/OVAs:
Pokemon the Movie 2000
Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children Complete
Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie
Sonic the Hedgehog
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate
.hack//The Movie
Darkstalkers
Persona 3
Steins;Gate
Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike

View user profile