Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 6-1069
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite Anime & Manga

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:27 pm

I saw an insane amount during 97-2003 well over 100, but when the Naruto’s and Ai Yori Aoshi’s started popping up it really put a damper on even caring for anime anymore. Although I plan on going through Beserk since it looks pretty good.

Anyway I’ll get this out of the way. Tenchi Muyo is my all time favourite. So much so being Canadian we didn’t get cartoon network, so I had to purchase the entire series when I was like 17 for 200 bucks online on VHS (dumb shipping). Last year an ex gf actually gave me entire series on dvd which was awesome.

Tenchi Muyo
-It was the first of its kind.
-I’m a comedy/romance kind of guy so hand-to-glove for me - easy to watch.
-It has everything from peaceful life, crazyness, space adventures, bit of royal politics, it’s original, the art was really well done.
-One of the few animes I prefer English dub over Japanese.
-Once upon a time even had a #1 website devoted to it on those top 50 countdowns so got to interact with the community, which was awesome.
-I understand Arch’s and others peoples distaste for anime, but it would be one of the few I would recommend to them.
-Did I mention the music is some of the best I’ve ever heard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OzPxJvg6Sg - Teardrop of the Royal Family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTOSZrC2ks - Flash Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iP-Jv2c-yU - Autumn of Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMux3MyusJ4 - Washu's Heartache
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t07yNPlvXI - Kagato's Organ Recital
(Note: I’m only speaking about Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, and the 3 movies. Tenchi in Tokyo and Pretty Sammy are ok but for hardcores. Everything else has been going downhill BIG time.)

Others in my top 10 (always changes, 6-10 will likely change)
#2 Love Hina
#3 Dragon Ball (use to barely crack my top 10 but I have a fun time watching it)
#4 Noir
#5 Azumanga Daioh
#6 Ah! My Goddess
#7 Excel Saga
#8 Pokemon (Seasons 1-5)
#9 Trigun
#10 Cowboy Bebop/Gundam Wing/Visions of Escaflowne/Grave of the Fireflies idk?? too many…

As for manga, I don't read much of it since I've always prefered comics. I do own pretty much entire Love Hina mangas I've read the first adventures of Red in Pokemon. And bit of Tenchi/Dragon Ball but nothing serious, maybe one day...

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

52 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:18 pm

I must also add Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

View user profile

53 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:27 am

I've recently gave a watch to Akame ga Kill! I... can't honestly recommend it.

XXX

It's a series featuring over-the-top acrobatic super-powered fencing with elements of 'moster of the week' in its structure. Tropes such as projectile weaponry being dangerous only if dramatically appropriate included.

Problem is... the fight scenes are neither interesting nor fun to watch. It is not the kind of mind-numbing rot that, say, 98% of Bleach is, but that is a very, very faint praise.

Music didn't irritate me, but neither did it catch me. There is maybe one track I can remember out of them all. I don't mean to diss the people that made it, but... it didn't get me at all.

Animation... I liked most of the backgrounds (and screenshotted a bunch of them, especially the panoramic landscape shots during the scene transitions. Lightning and shading effects as well.

You may or may not like the schizo tech and a gigantic mishmash of IRL arcitecture and cultures present in the visual design, but, personally, it didn't bug me. A good deal of arms and armor kind look like utter crap, but that, unfortunately, seems to be the norm these days.

One other nitpick I'm gonna level at this is how characters are prone to suddenly sprouting beast-like features in certain emotional states. There are humanoids, aretefact magitech and Hojo-type SCIENCE! turning people into who-knows-what and various monsters in the setting, but this appears to be simply a style choice instead of said characters actually transforming for real. Sure, I'm all for showing how hate can change humans, but on the rare occasion they don't do that, it ends up looking much better, IMHO.

XXX

The premise seems interesting enough and the the themes the narrative touches upon are thought-provoking stuff, but the way it chooses to go about them is often quite 'meh', in my opinion. There is also a rather pointed lack of characters to sympathize with and root for, protagonist included.

Sure, there are Bulat, Wave and Bols (probably my favourite character in the show and a fresh addition in my personal 'favourite characters of all times' list) - any of which would've made a more interesting protagonist, by the way - but almost everybody else has serious trouble with making me care. It's all fine and dandy to show how people can warp and break in horrible ways if life grinds them up enough, but there's just too much black to go around in the cast, IMHO.

Esdeath does make for a fun antagonist though.

a bunch of spoilers related to Esdeath:
A good deal of things in scenes with her hint, tease and foreshadow a 'defrosting ice queen' scenario, but it doesn't actually happen whatsoever.

Sure, she is shown to seek out and recruit followers and then foster loyalty in them in a not completely manipulative manner. There are also scenes with her coping with deaths of people she wasn't apathetic to in her own peculiar way (which seems to be a running theme in the show and is also the best use of the 'they were weak and so they died, that's all there is to it' phrase I've seen yet), searching for one true love, trying to persuade said one true love to return her affections, etc, etc.

But there is also that blood knight (in tvtropes' sense of the term) part of her that tortures people for kicks and giggles, enjoys picking fights to the death with dangerous opponents for no other reason but to have fun killing them, gets promoted into position where she is put in charge of suppressing  insurgencies and does so in a manner almost guaranteed to result in further rebellion down the line and all that stuff. And this part isn't going anywhere.

Plot... The pacing doesn't drag its heels much, but there are some places where characters rather blatantly grab the idiot ball for the sake of drama.

All of the above goes for the anime adaptation only though. I have yet to try the manga, so I have no idea how things are there.

XXX

After I've typed that all out, seems like this post ended up being off-topic, what's with how un-favourite this entry is for me. My bad. Very Happy

View user profile

54 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:53 am

Grave of the firefies is interesting. Without researching, I'm guessing it was an early movie before ghibli had such wide spread appeal. Can't imagine something like that being produced intended to make money worldwide, though I can imagine it's message being intended to spread awareness of what we do as a species to eachother. Depending on the purpose of the film, I'm not sure if it was intended for Japanese audiences only or not. Don't know who I'd recommend it to, it's a brutal film that I can imagine deeply affected anybody not familiar with the topic. It's one of the saddest handlings even if you are familiar with the subject and totally out of place in the ghibli collection honeslty. Not bad quality mind, quite the opposite.

View user profile

55 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:28 am

Yeah, "Grave of the Fireflies." It's worth watching once but its so incredibly sad. I've cried both times I watched it.

View user profile

56 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:25 am

^ Grave is by far the saddest anime I've ever watched. Regarding my list it isn't as very high because I take personal enjoyment/replay value into my list. It's just a sad movie, good one no question but sad.

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

57 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:04 pm

Let's start shall we?

1. Can you guess it? Yep, got it right.
2. Texhnolyze. - I am surprised noone mentioned this as far as I noticed. The way the show is presented, that ever present feeling of solitude and a weird sense of belonging to the city of Lux...
The soundtrack. I just... have no words. No spoilers or hype here. Look this up and decide for yourself if it's worth the time but be warned that it can leave the viewer in the dust with the storyline. Also a hint: almost 0 dialogues in the first 2 episodes. Enjoy.
3. Puella Madoka Magica. - this already got all the praise in this topic I could give it here.
4. Elfen Lied. - *spreads arms wide and waits for the stones to be thrown*. I could excuse the protagonist for some of his actions, given his experiences I am surprised he wasn't reduced to a mumbling vegetable locked up in a mental hospital. I really liked the rest of the characters, Lucy being at the top of the list. The concepts of humans being the real monsters and " love forgives all" probably aren't something very note worthy but the show nontheless captivated me.
5. Darker Than Black. - this along with number 4 and 6 are interchangable depending on my mood.
6. Ergo Proxy. - why again did I go with numerical order? This could have as well been nr. 3
7. Mirai Nikki. - Crazy stalker girlfriend? Check. The shows overral premise just sucked me right in. Who am I kidding? I don't have to introduce this anime.
8. Gankutsuou. - a briliantly animated version of the Monte Christo tale? Yes, please.

Animes I did enjoy and might rewatch from time to time.

Devil May Cry.
Chobits.
Another.
Busou Renkin.
Claymore ( re-read the manga, damn the anime )
Rahxephon.
Redline.
Hellsing along with Ultimate.

And I ll stop at this cuz if I keep going this will be a wall of text. The best part being my anime list consists of like 40 titles. Further discussing would be welcomed.

View user profile

58 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:32 pm

When I saw Jwalk talking about Samurai Pizza Cats...Hahahaha, the memories started coming back. I would watch Samurai Pizza Cats and Mummies Alive before Beast Wars would come on as a kid. I started "really" watching anime through the Sci-Fi channel on weekend mornings. I watched Galaxy Express 999 on television once when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old, sad thing is I don't remember much at all from it now. So I count my first anime as being Iria : Zeiram the animation, I was around 9 when I saw it. Then I saw some great stuff, like Ghost in the shell, Policenauts, Green Legend Ran, Akira, and so on and so on. Then I later got into Dragonball, Outlaw Star, FLCL, Trigun, and a few different Gundam series. More recently I've been checking out Psycho Pass and Attack on Titan. I would say my favorite anime of all time would have to be Iria : Zeiram the animation though. It's basically the starting point for me, an introduction to something I would love throughout my life and even influence my own art style. If you haven't ever had a chance to see Iria I would recommend it. It's not the most complex story every told or anything like that, but it's a fun ride with a great leading lady and one hell of a "monster".

View user profile

59 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Gwaihir, judging by your list of favorite anime (primarily psychological, which I definitely approve of), I think you'd like Serial Experiments Lain if you haven't already tried it out. It's by some of the same people who did Texhnolyze.

View user profile

60 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:02 am

I knew I would get called out on Serial Experiments Lain, I watched it when I was like 11 or 12.
I need to rewatch it along with Elfen Lied just to refresh my memory and figure out my exact thoughts on both series.

View user profile

61 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:27 am

Gwaihir wrote:I knew I would get called out on Serial Experiments Lain, I watched it when I was like 11 or 12.
I need to rewatch it along with Elfen Lied just to refresh my memory and figure out my exact thoughts on both series.

Oh, in that case you should definitely rewatch it. There's no way anyone can appreciate Serial Experiments Lain at that age. Hell, I needed additional explanation for the show after I first saw it when I was much older. These two sources are great for that:

https://www.cjas.org/~leng/lain.htm
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA58F972C6B28207C

View user profile

62 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:17 am

I find it surprising how well the old shows like Lain, Evangelion, Monster and to some extend Texhnolyze and similar anime hold up in modern days. It probably comes down to the extremely well done construction of those shows. I've already started re-watching Lain since it's a very short series and the astetic and presentation don't bother me at all. I've heard some complaints about those aspects not only in Lain but the other old shows as well.

View user profile

63 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:01 am

It's actually precisely the atmosphere, minimalistic dialogue and symbolic presentation of Serial Experiments Lain part of why I like it so much. It's not just that I'm not bothered by it - I actually downright enjoy it.

Episode 1 Spoilers:
The scenes that just have the constant buzz of the power lines is one such example of that. Unforgettable.

As for the narrative, I'd have preferred it if it was a little less confusing than it is (and it can do without one particular red herring), but I would still like it to be head-scratching nonetheless. Every episode had me wondering what exactly was happening and I loved that feeling.

View user profile

64 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:37 am

The particular niche style of storytelling that is mostly abandoned in today's shows is to me the driving force behind great anime. Themes are also a fairly large part of that force but rarely we can find anything that hasn't been already explored in some manner. That being said it is worth looking for those hidden gems precisly because of their rarity. I was hooked right from the start when I started watching Texhnolyze. A similar feeling comes to mind when watching Lain.

Finished Lain. Here are my thoughts, correct me if my understanding is off.

Spoiler:
So Wired can be interpreted as a network, a kind of afterlife. Lain existed since the beginning of Wired as a spread out entity, a program built to erase the barrier between "real world" and Wired. She was compressed into a body with a defined ego by Eiri who wanted to use her as a source for artificial evolution of mankind. "Connecting everyone and raising the subconscious of the planet into conscious thought." Lain saw his egotistical idea and decided to oppose him in order to save her only friend. Then she restarted the system as she never was "supposed to exist". The Knights were a group of people who wanted Lain for their own purposes. I am uncertain as to why Lain called them the worshippers of god when they tried to kill her.
I thought they wanted Eiri's plan to fail so they could keep their own personal agendas.

As far as themes?
Ego, a singular self capable of recognition. The "disconnection" of people from the real world.
I really loved the line that Lain told the boy who used Accela. I also agree with the notion that each of us is simply alive in the minds of those who are aware of our existence. Memory retained  through generations as a means of evolution, memory as a rewritable source of information.
Each of us really is connected to everyone throughout a network. I watched the first video on that playlist. His explanation of the ending really fits with me.

I am torn as to what score should I give to this. I already have 6 10 in my list. I think I will simply withhold rating this as I did with End of Evangelion. Some shows cannot be simply reduced to a pair of numbers and should be experienced firsthand.

View user profile

65 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:33 am

I have a question for anyone who can answer. I generally like Anime at least somewhat grounded in reality (Death Note, Monster). What are some recommendation of this nature?

View user profile

66 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:25 am

Well it's nothing like those series, but I rather liked Ouran High School Host Club.

The authors of Death Note went on to work on Bakuman, which is already finished. As a "slice of life" it's pretty grounded in reality (for a shounen anyway) and it's kind of a fictional autobiography of their careers. Instead of power-ups, you get creative breakthroughs, it's pretty interesting.

View user profile

67 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:24 am

Try out GATE, Maz. It may be up your alley.

View user profile

68 Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 am

Have you tried Texhnolyze yet Maz?
I'd recommend NHK ni Youkoso!, maybe Parasyte.

View user profile

69 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:53 am

Welp, sorry Gwaihir, I hadn't noticed that you finished watching Serial Experiments Lain for some reason.

In short, yes, you understood the plot of the show perfectly, and as far as the themes go, the creators have said that Lain is one of those anime that you're encouraged to interpret in your own way so there's no valid way to perceive it.

The most glaring question mark that I have about the show is
Spoiler:
the man in black and what exactly their agenda was.

I'm glad you enjoyed it either way, I thought you would given that you liked Texhnolyze.

View user profile

70 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Gwaihir wrote:Have you tried Texhnolyze yet Maz?
I'd recommend NHK ni Youkoso!, maybe Parasyte.

Never heard of Texhnolyze, but I actually just watched the first episode of NHK. Hard to say, but it could be interesting.

*EDIT* Just looked up Texhnolyze, and I actually have heard of it. It's a show I've had in mind, but didn't remember the name.

View user profile

71 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:48 am

I still dig Cowboy Bebop. Damn good.

View user profile

72 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:21 am

JudgeSpektre wrote:I still dig Cowboy Bebop. Damn good.

Good man. Still one of the best sound tracks in anime history if you ask me.

View user profile

73 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:27 am

I don't really have any favorite anime and I don't read manga(I just can't get into still images), but Trigun will always hold a special place in my heart.

Despite all of its flaws. Damned anime and its campy tropes.

View user profile

74 Re: Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:08 am

If we're counting visual novels, Steins;Gate, Umineko, Higurashi, Higanbana and Rose Guns Days (the last four are by the same writer) are all good. As far as actual anime, I haven't watched it since Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece were on a cartoon channel an hour before I went to primary school

View user profile

75 Favorite Anime & Manga on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:37 pm

If we're talking Visual novels... well I have quite a list I could recommend. If anyone's interested in that PM me. I don't think these would count for anime/manga thread.

I am wondering if anyone here has heard of manhwas? Korean colored manga-like comics. I've been reading DICE: The Cube that changes everything and Tower of God. Both series are ongoing and in my eyes very well worth a try. I'd propose to look em up since giving a summary on them would be difficult ( Tower of God season 1 is 76 chapters long and it's basically a prologue, that universum is huge. )

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum