Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Today at 1:22 pm by Luslanz

» Turn 1-1068
Yesterday at 7:07 pm by FreelanceZero

» Turn 2-1068
Yesterday at 12:52 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 12-1067
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm by Spartanmario

» Player Houses
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Koth Meeting
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 am by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Chelsey Wright: hiring a lawyer
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Tyranny Coupon 50%
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm by TheUltimateParadoxs

» Warlords II: Turn Four - Departure of a Hero
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:02 am

Governor Grifenknight wrote:
I didnt say it will cause inflation.  By increasing wages, the business would be losing money, right?  So in order to compensate, they would have to increase prices, right?  That would essentially leave the market in the same place.  Consumer demand would not be able to increase because their increased wages, which cause the business to lose money, make the business increase prices, in order to compensate for that loss.  Do I need to repeat?

That's not how that works though. In your explanation you already start from the assumption that the price increase will be exactly enough to make the wage increase not matter. You're being disingenuous, because the price of something is not directly tied to the labour cost.

And that is an explanation of inflation.

View user profile

52 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:04 am

Who here is not in favour of the bracket system?.

View user profile

53 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:09 am

I think it might be easier to ask: who here is for the bracket system.

O/

View user profile

54 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:11 am

Governor Gollvieg wrote:I think it might be easier to ask: who here is for the bracket system.

O/

Yes right ....of course. Who here is in favour of a bracket system?.

OOC: Could you explain it a bit more Karbin?.

View user profile

55 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 am

That is inflation, my bad. Sad I was thinking about something else for some reason...

Obviously it wont exactly make up for the wage increase, but it would probably do enough to make it either seem small or non-existent. Also, the price of something is kinda tied to the labour cost. You must understand that while the actual individual making the shirt(for example) is only about 10% of the cost of making that shirt, he isnt the only person factored into the price of it. What about the person that gathers the resources? The one who brings it to the factory? The one who brings it from the factory to the store? The one who sells it? etc... etc... All of these costs add up to a majority of the price while the resources are smaller and the profit is even smaller(in most cases).

View user profile

56 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:15 am

That was in response to whiskey... Sad

View user profile

57 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 am

I've re-wrote the idea, with bracketing, as an amendment to National Finances Act.

Bracketing works as follows:
We have 3 regions - A, B and C
A has cost of living (col) 30
B has col 20
C has col 10

The average would be 20, and median as well (it's a special case)

In bracketing, A goes to highest bracket, B to middle and C to lowest.
Then, A has weight 1, B has weight 2 and C has weight 3

So, the formula for weighted average is: (A*1+B*2+C*3)/6
Which is 16,67.

View user profile

58 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:18 am

Yeah, you'll get some price increases, I won't argue that. But people will have more money to pay for those price increases. The minimum wage will have a reduced effect, but it won't be a useless one.

View user profile

59 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:19 am

What are the advantages of this bracket system?

View user profile

60 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 am

It makes the calculated sum closer to the poor Regions. Thus, while still maintaining a higher standard for them, it reduces shock their economy would suffer if suddenly forced into much higher wages.

Not that I understand a selfish simpleton like you to be able to empathise with anyone but yourself.

View user profile

61 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 am

I agree to the bracket system as stated. Can you please not argue in the chamber so.....ermm childishly?. I mean I am not calling you children.....but arguing like this serves no purpose.

View user profile

62 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:25 am

I wasn't aware we were arguing, but true, I did mention some facts not entirely relevant to the debate at hand.

*Felix smirks at Whiskers*

View user profile

63 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:26 am

I empathise with them greatly which is why I'd suggest that we don't set a national minimum wage. Empower the national bank with setting each region's minimum wage independently. If they are working off the same ratio of cost of living to wage, then we won't see migration of people looking for the best pay.

View user profile

64 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:28 am

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:Yeah, you'll get some price increases, I won't argue that. But people will have more money to pay for those price increases. The minimum wage will have a reduced effect, but it won't be a useless one.

That's debatable...
You obviously can't state that the companies would only change prices to negate extra wages, but you, also, cant state that it would only reduce the effects of the wage.

That's why I propose only leaving it to the regions because while the regions are able to understand, deal and negotiate with their regions, the national bank/government can't.

View user profile

65 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:29 am

Governor Grifenknight wrote:
Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:Yeah, you'll get some price increases, I won't argue that. But people will have more money to pay for those price increases. The minimum wage will have a reduced effect, but it won't be a useless one.

That's debatable...
You obviously can't state that the companies would only change prices to negate extra wages, but you, also, cant state that  it would only reduce the effects of the wage.

That's why I propose only leaving it to the regions because while the regions are able to understand, deal and negotiate with their regions, the national bank/government can't.

The bracket system is still the best because with your system you disadvantage yourself. Lurem workers would leave the region for jobs in Eastport that are exactly the same but with higher wages.

View user profile

66 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:30 am

*sighs*

Truly a simpleton...

Doing as you propose will then make people move from poor regions to those with higher wages, further enriching the rich and impoverishing the poor Regions.

But it's not as if you ever thought about less fortunate Regions, is it? It serves you just fine, but some of us actually care about the whole nation.

Now I wonder, with a situation in essence identical to the debate about tariffs, where is that firce proponent of national standards now?

You double-faced coward.

View user profile

67 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 am

Aren't you the foreman Felix? Is it really necessary for a junior governor to tell you to drop something twice? At least respect the chamber if you won't respect me.

View user profile

68 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:32 am

Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:*sighs*

Truly a simpleton...

Doing as you propose will then make people move from poor regions to those with higher wages, further enriching the rich and impoverishing the poor Regions.

But it's not as if you ever thought about less fortunate Regions, is it? It serves you just fine, but some of us actually care about the whole nation.

Now I wonder, with a situation in essence identical to the debate about tariffs, where is that firce proponent of national standards now?

You double-faced coward.

This is what I mean. STOP IT, you are acting like little children who had their toys taken out of their pram!. Do you really think the people elected us so we could shout insults at each other and accomplish nothing.

View user profile

69 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:32 am

Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:*sighs*

Truly a simpleton...

You double-faced coward.

If the national bank works off the same calculations of cost of living to wage, then there is no advantage for any worker to move from region to region in search of better pay from minimum wage jobs. They will always be paying the same ratio on their cost of living.

View user profile

70 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:34 am

Governor Alexander wrote:
This is what I mean. STOP IT, you are acting like little children who had their toys taken out of their pram!. Do you really think the people elected us so we could shout insults at each other and accomplish nothing.

I object to this characterisation. I believe I have acted with complete decorum in the face of this onslaught.

View user profile

71 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:34 am

Governor WhiskeyWhiskers wrote:Aren't you the foreman Felix? Is it really necessary for a junior governor to tell you to drop something twice? At least respect the chamber if you won't respect me.

OOC: Damn if Karbin/WW don't make me the Foreman by default T_T

View user profile

72 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:36 am

I am no foreman for there has not been a vote on the matter, nor was it properly brought up, nor was I nominated.

If you're so "respectful" of the chamber, you could stand to learn its rules. Well, that is if you could even comprehend something else than your base self-interest.

As for your supposition, it shows how little you know. People do not see living costs and expenses - they'll see that their neighbour has higher wage for the same job.

Think of it this way. You do not see that other people make compromises, you just see that they gave something up, and that you don't like, because noone is to touch your toys.

Lastly, to the objectors of my behaviour, I don't see why I should pretend not to be revolted by mere presence of this buffoon. Perhaps with more experience you'll come to appreciate his spineless nature just like I did.

View user profile

73 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am

But Felix, before they can get a job with a high wage, they must settle in, which would be extremely difficult since living costs in each region is different.

In order to receive these high wages, they must be able to live and survive in Eastport(for example) with the funds they recieve from Lurem (for example). This makes it so that before they are even able to get these wages, they will be penniless, homeless and starving, which I'm sure would discourage people from moving. I'm sure the first few will attempt, but when they come back, people will be reluctant to go.

View user profile

74 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am

Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:I am no foreman for there has not been a vote on the matter, nor was it properly brought up, nor was I nominated.

If you're so "respectful" of the chamber, you could stand to learn its rules. Well, that is if you could even comprehend something else than your base self-interest.

As for your supposition, it shows how little you know. People do not see living costs and expenses - they'll see that their neighbour has higher wage for the same job.

Think of it this way. You do not see that other people make compromises, you just see that they gave something up, and that you don't like, because noone is to touch your toys.

Lastly, to the objectors of my behaviour, I don't see why I should pretend not to be revolted by mere presence of this buffoon. Perhaps with more experience you'll come to appreciate his spineless nature just like I did.

So instead of working toward reconciliation for the good of the people you hurl insults at the Governor instead thus ingraining your already polluted relationship?.

If this is what you are suggesting Governor then I am afraid I am completely baffled as to how this nation has not descended into squabbling countries.

View user profile

75 Re: Council of Governors - Minimum Wage Act on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:42 am

You were voted foreman provisionally. Excuse me for my oversight.

Writing laws with such vehemence for our own population is ridiculous. People are not fools. They are able to know that certain places cost more to live. If we must, I'd suggest a poster and pamphlet campaign, or even a newsreel be made and shown in the Plainsdale cinema explaining the minimum wage laws if you think it necessary.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum