Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 pm by Onyx Aurelius

» Turn 11-1069
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 am by Onyx Aurelius

» MCU Discussion Links - Historical
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm by DollarD

» Turn 10-1069
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dear Lore, perspectives from a rumination fan, suggestion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Dear Lore,

I've noticed in several of your videos you comment that you don't do ruminations of games that you have done a lore run on. From what I gather from your comments this seem to be in large part because you do not want to repeat yourself. I have been watching you for several years now, and mainly view your ruminations. They are what keep me coming back to your channel, and I would like to submit an opinion on separating lore runs from ruminations.

I will use Dragon Age as an example here because I lover that series and love your ruminations on the series. Your ruminations covering the first 2 games are a little over 2 hours. Your playthrough of Inquisition stretches across 15 videos and is somewhere in the vicinity of 44 hours to watch the entire thing. That is a lot of hours to watch in order to hear opinions on Inquisition. I can sit down and take in one of your ruminations in one night, two at the absolute most. But I work a lot and have very little free time to spend on watching videos. It would take me over a month of watching to get through your actual playthrough of Inquisition, and that is if I dedicate to watching on a nightly basis.

Unfortunately, I can't do that. And even if I could, I think the nature of actual playthroughs are so different from ruminations that it is difficult to compare the two anyway. Streams are by definition an interactive activity. They are great fun to be a part of during the actual live stream, but by their nature a lot of that comes from the interactions with the streamer and others in chat.

Because of how long it takes to play through an entire game, there are always large spaces of those videos that are empty from a lore perspective. There are long stretches of time where chat wanders as you play the game between the really "lore important" parts of the game. It's all very well done on your part, and if I had the time I would enjoy being part of those streams. But when I am looking for your thoughts on a game, in a ruination style, it is often difficult to sit through long stretches of time between important parts while you talk about other games, life in general, or just joke and play around with your viewers.

Please do not get me wrong. You do streaming very well, easily as well as you do ruminations. but I just want to suggest that for people like me it really isn't an option to just go and watch a lore run of something if I want to get your analysis of a given game. It is a serious time commitment to sit through an entire playthrough, especially given the fact that it is very difficult to find the relevant portions of the playthrough because of how much time is spent on those videos getting from one lore point to the next. Again, not your fault, but games don't really lend themselves to consistent, concise commentary in the way ruminations do.

I bring this up only to offer you a different perspective in case you had not considered it. For me, and probably for a large number of people, lore runs and ruminations simply aren't interchangeable because of time considerations in terms of viewing them.

If you have considered this before, or even if you haven't and still think it's not worth it to do ruminations of games that you do full playthroughs of, then by all means continue as you are. This is your channel, and you have time constraints as a creator to consider as well. I just wanted to mention this because I would love to see an Inquisition rumination as well as others. I know you will be doing a run of Mass Effect Andromeda when it comes out, and it is a bit disappointing to think that you might not do a ruminations of that game, (I have no idea if you will or not, just using that as an example) even if you like it a lot, because you'll feel like you are repeating yourself.

Basically, I just worry that as you do more lore runs, the pool of games for ruminations will shrink for people like myself who do not have the time to dedicate to your actual playthroughs of those games. I think, and know in my case, that you wouldn't be repeating yourself by doing ruminations of these games. I think in some instances it's simply that you have two different audiences that you are speaking to if you double up on certain game.

In any case, if you took the time to read this, I thank you for your indulgence in hearing my point of view. However you work your channel I will continue to catch your ruminations and whatever other videos I can fit into my schedule that I find interesting. I just wish that games that get slotted for lore runs didn't automatically disqualify them from ruminations is all because it kind of eliminates those games from my watch list. I wish you continued and growing success with your channel. It's nice to see someone doing this kind of thing that isn't just shock value or "Look at me, I'm so pro!" As I said, I enjoy your content both as a streamer and a ruminations guy, but time considerations means I can't watch very many of your archived streams, at least not in a timely, easily digestible format.

View user profile
I second this. I would suggest the original lore run stream remain archived, but you could snip segments of time where you give your thoughts and analysis on elements of the gameplay or story (positives, negatives etc), and put them together as an abridged upload.

Naturally this would be complete with any/all relevant content from the game itself (such as when a character says x, and you have to pause and talk, cutscenes would go largely uncut lol), with fade transitions.

View user profile
I agree! It's easy content to create as well. The games have already been played; the opinions have been formed. Just record yourself talking for a couple of minutes, and you're done.

View user profile
I had the same thought, what if you cut the loreruns to include only the story analysis to make them a bit more accessible (I've even used lore's videos to mess around with premiere lol) The problem is that even with minimal editing it's still a lot of footage to go through, I suspect the abridging would take almost as long as producing a rumination video, maybe even longer :/

View user profile
Yes, I don't think editing the lorerun footage would be a good way to go about it. It would take forever to skim through everything and trying to find the most substantive commentary parts. The easier way would be to simply record a new 10 to 60 minutes video.

View user profile
Now that I think about it Lore's stream of Inquisition was a blind run, not a lorerun, so that rule doesn't even apply here. I'm sure he'd do a rumination if the patreons requested it.

View user profile
Well, for the record, I did read the entire thing. Let me be transparent about one thing; I do not decide what I Ruminate on. If a Patron asked me to Ruminate on a game I've done a Lorerun on, I would, because that's how the system works.

Loreruns are admittedly some seriously niche material, which I feel is a damned shame (with no one to blame, really, that's just life) because of games like Witcher 3. Witcher 3 is a game made for a Lorerun; the Rumination will barely scratch the surface of that game. But it was requested (by multiple Patrons actually) so I'm doing it.

I, uh, don't know what else to add really. I've looked into the possibility of timestamping Loreruns for easy digesting, or editing them down, but to be honest both take a hellacious amount of time and I have absolutely none to spare.

View user profile
The Lorerunner wrote:Well, for the record, I did read the entire thing.  Let me be transparent about one thing; I do not decide what I Ruminate on.  If a Patron asked me to Ruminate on a game I've done a Lorerun on, I would, because that's how the system works.  

Loreruns are admittedly some seriously niche material, which I feel is a damned shame (with no one to blame, really, that's just life) because of games like Witcher 3.  Witcher 3 is a game made for a Lorerun; the Rumination will barely scratch the surface of that game.  But it was requested (by multiple Patrons actually) so I'm doing it.

I, uh, don't know what else to add really.  I've looked into the possibility of timestamping Loreruns for easy digesting, or editing them down, but to be honest both take a hellacious amount of time and I have absolutely none to spare.  

I do appreciate the time you took to read through my original post. As to how ruminations are decided, that makes complete sense given that you are doing this as your job and all. Apparently the things I viewed led me to believe that you had imposed a ban in place or something in terms of not ruminating on games you do a lore run on. That was confusion on my part.

As to anything else, as I said, I enjoy your ruminations and I enjoy the little amount of archived streams I do get to catch when I have the free time. You are probably my most watched channel on Youtube as it is. I also understand the immense time that would be required to edit or timestamp loreruns. That wasn't really what I was trying to get at anyway. All I wanted to do was let you know that some folks can't really watch entire loreruns and suggest you might do ruminations on those at some point.

Which, at this point, seems pretty pointless considering I am clear now on how you choose what to ruminate on. My apologies for the confusion on my end there. Again, thanks for reading and clarifying how your system works. I appreciate you taking the time there, and I look forward to watching more of your content.

View user profile
RorytheRomulan wrote:I am sorry to hear that. Maybe there are enthusiastic people you trust who would be more than happy to do it for free. If not, we'll just have to deal.

Now that's an idea. Hypothetically, which single playthrough (that isn't blizzard) would y'all like to see edited the most?

View user profile
Kotor and Dragon Age come to mind. Or perhaps the entire WoW run! Twisted Evil

View user profile
I don't think I have enough years left in me for the WoW run :v

View user profile
I've always hoped for something like this

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum