» Turn 6-1069
Today at 11:40 am by SilverDragonRed

» Some interesting thing with Star Trek Discovery
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 am by ZeroCool

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

You are not connected. Please login or register

In defense of Breath of the Wild's weak weapons

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I haven't play Breath of Wild, so I can't support nor hate on the weakness of weapons in this game. But this is a fresh new argument and perspective for the weapon degradation system. I'll have to try the game for myself before making final judgement.  

View user profile
Completely agree. Think about it: if weapons didn't break then you'd always be using your bestest weapon and every time you went Moblin murdering (or "moblering", if you prefer) you'd only get rewarded with a bunch of intestines, which is just sad. With weapon degradation however you get the intestines plus a replacement for the seven clubs you busted to get there, and maybe an extra arm! And as we all know the more stuff you get to pick up, the better the game.

View user profile
For the record, I did watch this, and no I don't agree. At all. And that's, I think, the nicest way I can put it. I made my multiple arguments against it time and time again during the run so I don't really feel the need to repeat myself here.

View user profile
I actually like weapon degradation in games, it makes you think on your toes, and makes you careful think before you act. But I'm on the fence with Breath of the Wilds degradation system. The starting weapons should be easier to break, I personally feel, which makes the beginning of the game feel alien and difficult, yet rewarding at the same time, because you can get through those difficult encounters by using your brain. My biggest issue with this game is the lack of payoff when it comes to good gear. It sucks that there isn't a blacksmith to fix the gear, but I think I could get past it, if the good gear wasn't as weak as the weak gear.

View user profile
There are blacksmiths that restore the best versions of each weapon variant, but you have to spend a diamond which can be hard to find. It's not as convenient but it's nice that the top weapons can never be gone forever.

And well, if you use a strong weapon vs a strong enemy you usually get a strong weapon in return. The game barfs gear at you, I never had a problem of not having good stuff on me.

View user profile
The only real problem I have with the durability system is that it encourages players to use crappy weapons. When given the choice between wasting a moblin with a badass 25 attack sword, or a shoddy 5 attack club... most of us are going to use the club, just in case we "need" the sword later.

I really think Nintendo should have followed Blood Omen 2's example and given Link a fun hand-to-hand combat style, so that players always have another option for combat.

View user profile
Of course you're going to use the best fuck-off weapon available, that's why it's there. Wood...steel. One is superior in every way. Sword...spear. Both have advantages and disadvantages that the other does not. Do you think soldiers marched into battle with weapons that would break before the fucking dawn? Weapon degradation does keep you on your toes, like it does in Bethesda's Fallout games, but it's not compulsory there. Weapon degradation, if you enjoy it, is devolved in Breath of the Wild.

Weapon degradation can be done right. Making certain things breakable, like wooden spears and clubs, that's okay, when you test them against weapons and objects that are tougher. Weapons made of iron and steel can be blunted, that can be the thing you may want to avoid instead of having your weapon broken, because your enemy has to really try. It has happened, but people generally strike to hurt their opponent rather than break the weapon they have. Fallout 3 and onward have made that the case with every weapon and armor available in their game.

View user profile
Arsene Lupin wrote:The only real problem I have with the durability system is that it encourages players to use crappy weapons. When given the choice between wasting a moblin with a badass 25 attack sword, or a shoddy 5 attack club... most of us are going to use the club, just in case we "need" the sword later.

The crap weapons shouldn't be your first choice all the time, if they are then you'll end up breaking a bunch of them on stronger mobs just to save a bit of durability on your high level gear.

RorytheRomulan wrote:Weapon degradation can be done right. Making certain things breakable, like wooden spears and clubs, that's okay, when you test them against weapons and objects that are tougher. Weapons made of iron and steel can be blunted, that can be the thing you may want to avoid instead of having your weapon broken, because your enemy has to really try. It has happened, but people generally strike to hurt their opponent rather than break the weapon they have. Fallout 3 and onward have made that the case with every weapon and armor available in their game.

That's a good point, that monster are aiming for you, not your weapons. But it's the weapons that degrade, and Link obviously takes damage, so shouldn't your clothes break instead? Should BoTW have taken inspiration from Ghosts n Goblins? Shocked

View user profile
I cannot agree with you more. By the way, this video helped me a lot.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum