» Turn 7-1069
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:10 am by Crensler

» Bound by the Past
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 6-1069
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turn 6 ENDING TODAY Hopefully, also a poll

Would you prefer more GM-created events, or less?

75% 75% [ 9 ]
8% 8% [ 1 ]
17% 17% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Turn 6 ENDING TODAY Hopefully, also a poll on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:56 am

I am only missing actions from Eastport and Versberg to be ready to go.

I've also decided to be efficient and attach a poll to this post. The question is self evident.

Also, just missing Eastport now to push things forward.

Also also; I threw together a fairly low-complexity character sheet for Mr. Redmane, since he's effectively full time roleplaying. Thought about tossing some up for other characters... wanted feedback on that. Any thoughts?

Also, just missing Eastport now to push things forward.

Also also; I threw together a fairly low-complexity character sheet for Mr. Redmane, since he's effectively full time roleplaying.  Thought about tossing some up for other characters... wanted feedback on that.  Any thoughts?

I would like one in case someone is able to take over as Governor of Aberisk. I would love to do commando work again.

View user profile
Don't wait for Eastport. Given that I neglected my national duties, it would be unfair for me not to do the same with regional ones.

View user profile
I don't see any reason to make one for my character because, unlike Gollvieg, my character does not go commando. flower

I voted More because so far, the only GM event has been the refugee crisis.  I want to see what Lore has up his sleeves.

View user profile
Felix Clary zu Osegg wrote:Don't wait for Eastport. Given that I neglected my national duties, it would be unfair for me not to do the same with regional ones.

???

View user profile
Still no one responding about reasonings. You suck.

I am sorry I will do better next time....... Sad Very Happy

View user profile
I was busy with my nephew and niece. So, as you can obviously see from the poll, I am the only person that voted less. My reason are that we cause enough trouble by ourselves that all GM events feel like horrifying speed bumps that can flip your car while you are busy dealing with a passenger that just turned into a zombie. I hope the next crisis won't delay us from Liberating Indonesia or going Abe Lincoln on Versberg.

View user profile

10 Re: Turn 6 ENDING TODAY Hopefully, also a poll on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Personal stats: not a fan. Only applicable for governors if all of them get them. They make role-playing harder (too restrictive) and meaningless at the same time. For characters interacting with NPCs a lot, they're more useful.

GM events. I am against events for the sake of events. I am for events which have causes and effects. In other words, I don't want a threat of the week, I want Babylon 5, hardcore cause and effect cooperative storytelling.
The question, as it is posed, is meaningless from my perspective.

View user profile

11 Re: Turn 6 ENDING TODAY Hopefully, also a poll on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Governor Gollvieg wrote:I was busy with my nephew and niece. So, as you can obviously see from the poll, I am the only person that voted less. My reason are that we cause enough trouble by ourselves that all GM events feel like horrifying speed bumps that can flip your car while you are busy dealing with a passenger that just turned into a zombie. I hope the next crisis won't delay us from Liberating Indonesia or going Abe Lincoln on Versberg.

Well the house is already divided. Time for Southport to join the Confederacy......whoops I meant time to crush this insurrection Razz .

View user profile

12 Re: Turn 6 ENDING TODAY Hopefully, also a poll on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 pm

I agree with Felix concerning both topics.

View user profile

13 Re: Turn 6 ENDING TODAY Hopefully, also a poll on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:34 pm

I would like to see more events, jsut make sure they dont happen turn on turn on turn. Its nice to have a breather turns without anything happening. Also I would like to see more foreign events as well, while they may or may not effect us it's still nice to hear what's going on in the world some more.

View user profile

14 Re: Turn 6 ENDING TODAY Hopefully, also a poll on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:59 pm

I have to point out, for a bit of perspective, that there's only been two GM generated events thusfar. Racial tensions... which was really built in to the premise... and trash.

15 Re: Turn 6 ENDING TODAY Hopefully, also a poll on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:24 pm

As I said, question "more events X less events" doesn't make sense from my perspective. I don't care about how much events there are, I care about why they are.
Thus, in this respect, there is a dilemma between emergent and grand narrative.

Emergent narrative is much harder to pull off, and even harder to make it good. 100% implementation of this principle means leaving the game, in most ways, rudderless and completely up to players. Trash, for example, is an issue that is more a part of such approach. Logical and relatively self-contained internal problem with almost all input done by the players.

This has many disadvantages. To be blunt, it works best with players like me. From GM perspective, it's about throwing around "toys" and letting us build from them. Thus, a super-motivated and super-serious player will have a lot of fun, because he will be more active in seeking storyline.

But, I am the exception. And that's the problem. This sandbox style sounds nice, in fact, on surface level, it seems outright better, especially for PG. However, it requires a lot of the players, and not just individually, but from the group as a whole. People involved must have some chemistry, really. Otherwise, everyone will do their own thing - which is already happening. As I expressed number of times, I feel like I'm playing a different game from almost everyone else. And that atomisation of players only puts more strain on the GM, even though it would seem that leaving things mostly up to the players would decrease GM workload.

Then we have the grand narrative approach. If I may digress, in D'n'D games, I differentiate between settings and campaigns. Settings are the above: here is the world, go do stuff. Campaign has much more controlled storyline and GM has much more active role in storytelling.

Actually, I'll digress a lot, because I just realised I had it wrong. Emergent story works for both people like me and more casual people, but the kinds of stories we want to do are too different - and that's problem in our group. We can't be all serious like me. That's just not going to happen and I don't really want it. Passable alternative is to have more... levity in the story, which would be acceptable for everyone - except me. And yes, needs of the many exceed the needs of one, but you're forgetting I'm a horrible person, and for me, this is valid as long as I'm not "the one" Wink

So, to end this rambling, I come to the conclusion that we need a grand narrative and story-active GM. We need more events like the refugee crisis. Issues which create arcs, not episodes.

Does this mean more events? It would seem like it, but not really, if you think about it. Does it mean less events? Again, not really. It's not about quantity, but about approach. How we do things has to be asked before we contemplate how many of them we'll do, in my opinion.

And, once more, I know I'm patronising smart-ass, and I know I'm basically pushing my own view of GM-ing and game design (game design, story design, whatever). I mean no disrespect, and I am not preaching, even though I present my arguments, even those highly subjective, in a matter-of-fact way (because my language is much... harsher in these things from English, to the point when they teach us academic English, there is entire semester worth of just learning how to express opinions in a less forceful way, but I don't do that because it limits usage of language from super strong-super weak to kinda strong-super weak, and I hate to limit use of language in this way).

(no surprise I went off rambling again in the conclusion Wink )

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum