Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

» Bound by the Past
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 pm

:EDIT: I'm combining the trilogy into one thread instead of creating 3 separate threads.

Had to make a thread because there is just too much to discuss.

-TLotR trilogy is basically a fan-film because so many people involved genuinely loved the mythos and wanted to do it justice. The effort put into it was mind-boggling. If I remember correctly, two people made all the chainmail by hand, link-by-link. When they finished, they no longer had finger prints.

-I always wondered why Gandalf HAD to do more research on the Ring before he made his conclusion, but Lore made a good point; Gandalf understood just how much shit they were in if it was THE One Ring, and he desperately wanted to disprove his theory.  Sure, there were multiple rings of power, but this obviously seemed be the One Ring to me. Feigning any doubts makes sense.

-Regarding the elves, I basically agree about retirement. There have been professors who have gone greatly in depth on the matter, and I can't possibly explain. The elves powers are dwindling, and their time has passed.

-A fools hope resonates throughout the trilogy, and  that's what Gandalf has when he tries to combat Sauron. Saruman "The Wise", knows how foolish the idea is and deems it best to join him because he wishes to endure.

-Interesting theory about the Ring tempting the Nazgul. The plan seemed to be to corrupt Frodo, and let HIM take the ring to Sauron. Perhaps Sauron knew the Ring would still tempt the Witch King, and instructed him to not physically take the ring himself.

-One of my favorite scenes in the Fellowship book was when Frodo flees from the Nazgul by himself, and has his confrontation with them at the river. I was disappointed to see Arwen with him in the movie.

-Frodo lost a finger trying to dispose of the ring. I'd imagine Elrond, against Isildur, would suffer far worse. Also, trying to forcibly remove the Ring from him would possibly accelerate Isildur's corruption, thus making things worse. Plus, like Lore said, Elrond does not want to handle the Ring. It's a lot easier to tell someone to destroy it than personally destroy it.

- The "One simply does not" line is now more famous as a meme, but Sean Bean's delivery of that line was perfect, capturing just how ignorant and ridiculous the idea was.

-I never liked Boromir until the movies, and then he became one of my favorite characters. I was taken by surprise seeing the friendlier side of Boromir, which won me over.

-I assumed the dwarves took a 'last stand' approach in Moria. The Dwarves don't take too kindly to losing their home.

-I've heard the idea proposed that Gandalf only uses his power to the scale of his enemy. We only see Gandalf's true power until he fights the Balrog. He could have went full 'Balrog mode' against the Cave troll or goblins... but he didn't... and I'm not entirely sure why. I would like to know what anyone thinks about that. The possible idea is that the Wizards are meant to be the shepherds of Middle Earth, guiding its children through development and only stepping in when necessary.

To provide a more relatable example, whenever I co-op with someone in Dark Souls, and they need help with a boss, I tend to provide just enough help rather than simply soloing the boss. I want them to get a better sense of achievement. Of course sometimes things go terribly wrong, and I have to jump in and finish the boss. I think that's kinda what Gandalf is doing in some weird way.

A little thing that always stood out to me is after Gandalf dies, the Fellowship can't decide what to and where to go next. Aragorn is now in charge by default, and he wishes Gandalf was there because he would know what to do. Aragorn is a VERY capable person, and that part always put into perspective just how well regarded Gandalf was to everyone.

-A point I've heard someone bring up was the leadership qualities of Gandalf and Aragorn. Most people in this setting only seek out advice from other powerful and wise individuals, but not Gandalf and Aragorn. They are humbled enough to consider the thoughts and opinions of lesser individuals like the Hobbits to get another perspective.

Last edited by Maz on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Convenience)

View user profile

2 Re: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:40 am

Thoughts on The Two Towers.

-Not sure I agree with you on Sam's cruelty to Gollum. I'm not really sure what else could have been done with their relationship in the movie. Sam knows how dangerous Gollum can be, and it's made clear that Gollum wants to sabotage their plans. It also highlights Frodo's relationship with Smeagol. Frodo is really the only one who can relate to Smeagol due to their shared experience bearing the Ring. What I'm trying to say is that I enjoyed the dynamic among those 3.

-I did not like how Gimli suddenly became ONLY the comedic relief. He was more of a real character in Fellowship.

-The only thing I didn't like about Legolas in TT was when he tried to mount that horse. The cgi for that animation looked really weird. Also thought the ROTK 'scene of awesome' was too over-the-top for my taste.

-Regarding the Nazgul patrolling the Dead Marshes: Yeah it's likely there to reintroduce the Nazgul. Perhaps he was on his way to scout Osgiliath. The Nazgul, as they exist in the mortal realm, are weakened -- at least in terms of there senses. It's harder to smell, hear, see, and feel the Ring while it's not in use. Their presence exists mostly in the Twilight realm. I guess you could say "if he even detects the slightest presence of the Ring, why doesn't he examine it anyway?" Well, you got me there. Maybe the Rings presence in that state feels like any other magical item, likely of elvish craftsmanship?

-Don't forget when Gandalf dies, his spirit goes into a state where time flows differently, so the Gandalf he once was hadn't been brought to his attention is a very long time. The smoking scene in ROTK always confused me, and it hadn't occurred to me that his new body hadn't grown accustomed to smoking.

-I can't even imagine being a kid and having to fight one of the most terrifying armies in Middle Earth. I was around that age when this moving came out, and that hit me pretty hard at the time.

-The crew went through hell to film the Battle of Helms deep. They practically became war buddies afterwards.

-I've heard a theory from some people in the past who say Legolas choked at Helms Deep. Legolas failed to bring down the berserker who breached the walls of Helms Deep. There are two ways to look at it. One: It's a berserker; he just tanks the hits. Or two: Legolas chokes when Aragorn bring him up to the plate. I like the latter better.

We know Legolas has an insane shot -- even Aragorn knows this because he calls on Legolas specifically. In the Fellowship, he hits a goblin between the eyes from a long distance, while also being fired upon by arrows. The shots Legolas fires in Helms Deep were not instant-kill shots; they hit the berserker around the shoulder area. I like this idea better because it shows just how much duress Legolas was in at the time due to the weight of the situation. It's one of the only instances that grounds Legolas. Otherwise, he's just an unstoppable force throughout the trilogy.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum