Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Some interesting thing with Star Trek Discovery
Today at 3:23 am by ZeroCool

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Yesterday at 5:41 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Thoughts on Final Fantasy 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 My Thoughts on Final Fantasy 6 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:35 am

I have been playing video games for many years, and yet there are several classic and otherwise essential games that I have no experience with. In many cases, this involves entire franchises. When Archengeia was going through the Final Fantasies during his marathon I was prompted to start digging my way through my backlog instead of letting it sit and fester. Now, I am playing through the Final Fantasies and have decided to share my thoughts on the games I play as I go here on the forum. I have already covered the first five games in the series and will be playing FF VII, FF IX, and FF XII. Hope you enjoy!

Wow. Just... wow. I literally just finished the game a few minutes ago and.... wow. That has got to be one of the most cohesive works of fiction I've ever seen. The gameplay, setting, characters, backstories, current sidequests, the epilogue,  they all work together to weave an adventure both grand in scope and yet tight and focused on the characters at all times. There are flaws in it, don't mistake. But other than one flaw that I would say is significant, everything else feels like nit-picking. In case you're curious, I feel like the way Shadow went out was in contradiction to his character arc and was an unfortunate mark on what was otherwise a masterful ending. Other than that, the closest thing to a negative I can come up with is the inclusion of filler characters in the latter half of the game. The lack of characterization in Gogo, Umero, and in some cases Mog really stick out in comparison to everyone else. 

Something I noticed from the beginning of the game was that it didn't follow the same basic structure of the games that came previous to it. No crystals, no prophecy of four heroes.. you get the idea. Instead, the characters were just people living out their lives doing the best they could with what they had. The villains didn't beat them at every turn, nor did the heroes win every conflict they participated in. And this grounded conflict took place in a world that felt real. 

We as gamers often talk about what game world we would want to live in as a form of fantasy. We wouldn't necessarily enjoy it long-term but it's fun to think about the concept. As I was playing this game, it occurred to me. This wasn't a world that I fantasized about living in and my reason for this functioned as the shadow of my whole playthrough. The reason I didn't fantasize about living in that world was because I felt like I already did. The world didn't feel like a playground where I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, nor did it feel like a minefield where I had to watch every step I took for fear of everything blowing up in my face. It felt like home. Surrounded by friends, facing challenges that look like are impossible to overcome, and choosing to either give in to the crushing weight of the world or to dream of a better tomorrow. I will never forget the feeling I had as I walked through Narshe after Kefka tore the planet apart. Here was the first place my journey had brought me, and everything looked alright, except it wasn't. The lack of npcs in the area made every step I took feel heavy. The depressing atmosphere was palpable. And yet, I will also never forget my reaction to the music that played in the overworld as I started to regroup the party and eventually get the airship. The hope that provided was like a breath of fresh air. My single greatest regret for this game is that we don't have an earthbound style ending where we would get the opportunity to travel around the world we saved to see where it would go from there. 

It's easy to see why this game is constantly put up as one of the greatest games ever made. I have never seen such detailed characters in a game before, nor has the theme of a game ever felt so grounded and real. I'm almost surprised that this game is a Final Fantasy. As good as the past 5 games have been, they haven't even come close to this game, and I highly doubt the rest of them will. 

Even though I didn't like the map, or the way the airship drove, or some of the characters added at the end of the game, honestly, I can't wait to get lost in this world again. Definitely one of, if not the, greatest games ever made.

FF VI
FF V
FF II/FF IV
FF I
FF III

Last edited by The_Real_Shurue on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:26 am; edited 2 times in total

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ZsvZWHyOVhATBhVKT-DWw?view_as

2 Re: My Thoughts on Final Fantasy 6 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:59 am

Hear hear! Lol. I didn't wait for shadow on my playthrough and was gutted when I realised I could. Amazing how they hit the nail on the head with the airship, it's not just true for you or me, it just works (imo). Same with a lot of things in the game. I played through the game blind and had so many unforgettable experiences that to me it is a top 2-3 game. I also love that it seemed heavy with side content.

View user profile

3 Re: My Thoughts on Final Fantasy 6 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:00 am

It feels like everything that could be said on the subject has already been said. Hmm... I'd say that, despite the wide gamut of quite fantastical locales the party visits along the way (phantom train alone, damn), I didn't feel the need to say 'this is weirdness just for wierd's sake' anywhere. Yes, even in that town where everybody lies and you can find a chainsaw under a table in some cafe. Very Happy

View user profile

4 Re: My Thoughts on Final Fantasy 6 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 am

One thing I wanted to add was how FFVI felt like it didn't have that 'fate' or 'empowered by destiny' or 'the ancients strengthen you' feeling so many RPGs do. Now I know you can argue it does, thanks to the Espers and Magicite (which is often considered the canon reason why the party can match up against the Gestahlian Empire, and later Kefka and the monsters of the Ruined World), but that never had the same feeling of the destiny / ancients / etc. thing to me. Rather it felt like it was another aspect of one of the great themes of this game; sacrifice. These beings have chosen to sacrifice themselves to give you a chance at fixing the world... after all, one might ask why they don't do it themselves, but then one realizes that the Espers have a lot of experience at breaking the world and seeing exactly what their powers can do when mis-used. So... yeah I guess I have nothing else to add, except that I love the hell out of this game and need to replay it again soon.

5 Re: My Thoughts on Final Fantasy 6 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:11 am

I thought I'd ask this question here, I was one of your previous Twitch broadcasts, and I heard your exposition on the war of the magi, and what they decided to do when they saw how badly they had messed up the world. So...they just bailed? Tenouttaten, would worship again!

View user profile

6 Re: My Thoughts on Final Fantasy 6 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:31 pm

My only regret with this game is that I did't get to play it blind, I with all my heart that I could go back and change that.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum