Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» To Arch, (and anyone else): Some Graham Greene
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 pm by Reddbane

» Thoughts on The Lost Jedi
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Community Movie Night Megathread (every Saturday at 2:00 PM EST)
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 am by RorytheRomulan

» The Last Jedi - 2 viewings - Not a fan
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:52 pm by K

» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Black Scale
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Potential Future Loreruns
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:02 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Spoiler Discussion)
Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 am by Maz

» Turn 1-1070
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:08 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Spoiler Discussion)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Spoiler Discussion) on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Guys, I'm not sure I liked this movie. It was the first Star Wars movie that left me unsettle by the end of it, and this is including ALL of the Prequels.

Just going to repost what I said in another forum because I don't have the energy to restate everything. I hope my opinion can be changed upon a further viewing or perhaps in future discussions.

All the main characters had great performances, especially Luke an Kylo, but I couldn't help but feel disappointed on many levels. Part of it's my fault for getting too deep in speculation, but there was groundwork laid out in Ep. 7 that made it hard not to speculate.

Huge Spoilers:
Ep 8 literally demolished everything 7 set up.
-Snoke was a joke who shouldn't have even existed in the first place.
-Phasma was a joke " " " "
- Rey's parents were nobody (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it should have never been teased if that was the result).

- Finn's story was awful, and I couldn't care less about Rose. Their whole journey was pointless considering The First Order figured out their plan anyway. I would have preferred it if Finn sacrificed himself to stop the canon. If Luke didn't show up Rose basically doomed everyone just to save him.

-Probably my biggest gripes with the movie were the constant plot twists. I get that it left you unsure about what could happen, but I just didn't like it.
Kylo is bad, no he turned good, no he's bad.
You're supposed to like Laura Dern. No, she's a jerk. No, she actually wasn't a jerk.
Can't trust Del Torro. Yes you can. No, you really can't.

I did like the Yoda scene. It was nice to see him give one final teaching to Luke. Looked like they used an original puppet btw!

I know I criticized Kylo's face/heel turn, but I really do think he has a great arc. I just wish Snoke wasn't a mere plot device.

To me it seemed like there wasn't a cohesive vision for this trilogy. It was supposed to go one way, as set up by JJ, but was then strongly swept aside by Johnson.

View user profile
After reading posts on reddit, I came across one comment that really had me thinking about what it means to be a Sith and Jedi, so I had an interesting thought. I'm curious to hear what anyone thinks about it.

Major Ep. 8 Spoilers:
At the end of the movie, Luke uses the Force in a very powerful and effective way, and he didn't need a "real" lightsaber to do it. It's reasonable to assume that Luke truly mastered the lightside of the Force in that moment (even perishing much like Yoda and Obi-Wan). What if using a lightsaber was never the path to the light side and the Jedi have had it wrong this whole time? What if, instead, the lightsaber was a tool of the darkside?

It is said that the Dark side is the quicker path to the Force. It uses brute strength to dominate the enemy, and a lightsaber is really only used as a tool for destruction. Anyone can wield a lightsaber making it an relatively easy tool to harness the Force. Yoda tried to go toe-to-toe with Palpatine in a dual only to be defeated. It's no surprise that the Sith are typically better duelists. It wasn't until Yoda abandoned his lightsaber, after that fight, that he gained a better understanding of the Force. Obi-wan also stopped using his saber to become "one" with the Force.

View user profile
I've heard it's politically correct, more glaringly so than A New Hope. If that's true, is it still worth a watch, or does it ruin the experience?

View user profile
I honestly didn't notice any political correctness, so I have no idea what people are referencing.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum