» It's not easy to register the Forum
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:59 am by Psychrolusia

» Star Wars Rebels
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:53 am by Nerdman3000

» To Arch, (and anyone else): Some Graham Greene
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 pm by Reddbane

» Thoughts on The Lost Jedi
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Community Movie Night Megathread (every Saturday at 2:00 PM EST)
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 am by RorytheRomulan

» The Last Jedi - 2 viewings - Not a fan
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:52 pm by K

» We're all fine here, thanks. How are you? (Community thread for everything.)
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm by RorytheRomulan

» Black Scale
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

To Arch, (and anyone else): Some Graham Greene

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

@Lorerunner

Hey Arch, I know you've made some comments about studying/training yourself in writing good dialogue. As a follow up to my recommendations of some Graham Greene pieces (in my opinion, some the best examples of well-crafted dialogue this past century has produced) to pick up, I thought I'd share some copies of said work from my personal library, to save expense

Of the two novels, Our Man in Havana and The Quiet American, I recommended I have audio-book versions of them in mp3 form.

Our Man in Havana
The Quiet American

Also I've included the film I recommended: The Third Man

Of the works, Our Man in Havana is probably the most light-hearted, though even Greene's 'lightest' works tend to have an edge of cynicism and tragedy to them, and even his most dour stories tend have a line of comedy (though often black) running though. The Quiet American, written during the very early period of the "Vietnam Conflict", is extremely melancholic and tragic in very real world terms, so not a Novel to begin reading if one is not in the state of mind to take upon any more sorrows than the world has already provided them; a trigger warning, if you will.  The Third Man itself marks a kind of midpoint between the former two in terms of tone, moving back between the comic and absurd and the depressing and morose with expert regularity, though its tragedies are more upon the personal rather than (as with Quiet American) the larger world scale, so perhaps easier to emotionally digest.

Of course, everyone else is free to enjoy.

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum