» Bound by the Past
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 6-1069
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which genre is the Fallout universe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Which genre is the Fallout universe? on Tue May 05, 2015 4:54 pm

I forgot how to write spoiler tags, so mild SPOILERS for fallout universe ahead. Just. to get this out of the way, I'm using genre loosely.

I've been researching Fallout lore for a little while for a project I've got going on and discovered something I havent really come across before. Probably shows how receptive I am to optional or subtle information unfortunately. This is, simply saying, whst the vaults were supposed to be and how some of them purposefully turned out.

Fallout is on the whole a very human alternate reality. It's easily imaginable and quite horrific, but I never really thought about the genre until I learnt some more of the lore (as said above).

Some quick questions: can an otherwise normal subject be presented in a horrific way and it be called horror, and can a horrific subject be presented in an otherwise normal way and be non-horror? (Bear with me lol).

Basically what I think is, most of the subjects, specially a lot of the stuff from fallout 1 (fev) and over many years (vaults) is horror to me, but the overall style of how it's presented (quirky humour, cheerful music etc.) isn't. It doesn't feel like horror and I'd argue that it's only when I did a more in depth research that it dawned on me. Granted I haven't gotten far into fallout 1 (user interface issues) and haven't played fallout 2 so maybe I'm just ignorant to it. The gore isn't bad either but that's probsbly a limitation of the graphics, which again makes me question how much presentation matters.

A hypothetical movie could be handled like a horror, or it could be more like Mad Max. I guess it's just a limitation of presenting it as a RPG instead of on rails. the way it works in the engine obviously Isnt suited for proper set pieces or it just doesn't choose to use cut scenes.

I think I'm starting to see what is meant by implied horror. Would it be fair to say it's got a horrific back story but plays out in a post apocalyptic setting? I guess this is suitable for a game. I know I'm not necessarily describing the main story in Fallout games, but it's part of the setting.

What really made me think was how I view silent hill 2. That's considered a horror game and presented as one but, depending on how you see the story, can have a "happy" outcome. Fallout on the other hand, is presented as a quirky survival game, but shs a very horrific undertone. I'm just wondering which one if any is in the horror genre. it's subjective I guess. A lot of people wouldn't find what I found horrific.

Sorry for the long post, garbled thoughts mostly, but I hope I said what was needed. I suppose I'm asking: is Fallout a horror-RPG? Is such a label based more on presentation than content (especially in a game I guess?) and do you have any thoughts on comparisons such as sh2 and fallout? anything you know that's similar or different?

Happy late May 4th to y'all.

View user profile

2 Re: Which genre is the Fallout universe? on Tue May 05, 2015 5:30 pm

it's a post apocalyptic setting with sci fi elements.

View user profile

3 Re: Which genre is the Fallout universe? on Tue May 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Sounds about right.

View user profile

4 Re: Which genre is the Fallout universe? on Tue May 05, 2015 6:01 pm

I do not view Fallout as a horror RPG. I also find it interesting that I don't fully think of it as science fiction either (maybe SCIENCE! fiction). As a curiosity I looked it up on the registry and it's listed as action open world RPG... a bit lengthy but ultimately pretty descriptive. But to your specific point; the reason I do not view Fallout as Horror anything is because a Horror game/book/movie sets out with the specific intent of causing fear, dread, terror, and horror in the audience. Fallout sets out with the specific intent of causing emotions, across the spectrum, in the audience. So yes, some of it is amazingly horrifying. Some of it is hopeful. Some of it is amusing. Some of it inspires. And so on... ultimately I would qualify such a game as what it is; a fantasy/sci-fi human RPG, on the story front, and an action open world, on the game front.

But then, I'm an idiot so don't listen to me.

5 Re: Which genre is the Fallout universe? on Tue May 05, 2015 8:52 pm

No it's a great set of points. Believe me I don't really think it's a horror game, but I certainly find it a lot more horrific than silent hill 2, which really got me thinking. I guess it's action/sci fi/post apocalyptic but it's still hard for me to categorise now that Ive read up on the lore.

I can agree that it doesn't have to have a specific label and can be broken down into story and gameplay.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum