» Turn 9-1068
Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:08 pm by FreelanceZero

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fanfiction

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fanfiction on Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 am

Anyone here read or write any fanfiction. And if so, whats you opinion on it or what fanfic you are writing(if any).
I'm writing one at the moment about Ruby Gloom ends up at Gregory House where she meets friends and enemies, and tries to figure out how she got here. I also have a Child of Light story in my head which has my demon OCs but I haven't started it yet.

View user profile

2 Re: Fanfiction on Tue May 12, 2015 11:29 am

When it's well-written (even if in most cases it's not), fan fiction can be absolutely amazing and even better than the source material. It's more challenging to write fan fiction than most people think because you need to adhere to the world and characters that someone else has already created. That is, you need to have a deep understanding of whatever it is that you're writing a fan fiction about. It's a great way to develop your writing skills when you eventually decide to write an original story, too.

I do dislike that the word fan fiction has this negative connotation attached to it when there are some gems to be found here and there. As per Sturgeon's Law, 90% of everything is bad and fan fiction is not an exception. Very Happy

Anyway, I recommend these two authors for some of the best Mass Effect stories I've read that have helped me cope with the ending of the third game.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1631136/Anne-Whynn
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3929511/Salser

View user profile

3 Re: Fanfiction on Wed May 13, 2015 9:01 pm

I'm tinkering with some ideas for a potential rewrite of Persona Ultimax. In the meantime, I edit another's.
I massively enjoy reading the stuff, even when it's about a work I enjoy on its own. Need I mention the trope 'Better Than Canon'?

View user profile

4 Re: Fanfiction on Wed May 13, 2015 11:46 pm

nope.

Last edited by DeutscheKind on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : expunging.)

View user profile

5 Re: Fanfiction on Wed May 13, 2015 11:54 pm

DeutscheKind wrote:I love the idea of fanfiction, however, a lot of the time the fans don't understand, or know the characters well enough to continue or create a story based on them. I love to write, and if I am feeling up to it, I like to try to think inside a box, instead of my usual outside.

True. It's sad how many fics suffer from crippling cases of 'Ron The Death Eater', not to mention the infamous Mary Sues.

I remember this Dragon Age 2 fanfic where Hawke got dragon powers (we're talking wings and everything, here) and Cullen became a cackling maniac. :/
Strange the author didn't do the same to Sebastian...

View user profile

6 Re: Fanfiction on Thu May 14, 2015 7:48 am

A Dead Diehard wrote:I'm tinkering with some ideas for a potential rewrite of Persona Ultimax. In the meantime, I edit another's.

Oh, that's interesting. I'd be interested in seeing your ideas for that if you choose to share them.

As far as "Ron the Death Eater" is concerned... I've only got one thing for you.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5822132/1/Becoming-Female

This is a legendary story in the fandom. It either tries to make fun of all the frequent Harry Potter fan fiction tropes... or it's yet one more example of a "so bad, it's good". I'm leaning towards the latter.

View user profile

7 Re: Fanfiction on Thu May 14, 2015 8:30 am

I'm writing a story in the fallout universe. Some existing chars make an appearance but mainly new chars. Been doing a lot of research on the fallout universe and planning a basic timeline. I've planned a lot on style of writing and individual chapters, over time those chapter plams become more specific and the writing can begin. Very early days otherwise.

I do enjoy reading good stuff and I definitely enjoy the universe being expanded as long as it makes sense.

View user profile

8 Re: Fanfiction on Thu May 14, 2015 11:44 am

One of the things that draws me to fanfic is that I can peruse it as a hobby, which is what I'm use to. I do take the project seriously but also I'm familiar with the fiction so I can easily use it. The biggest benefit of writing in an existing universe is that, for my own enjoyment, I can create the story I want and pretty much the characters I want.

Stories of human survival and human nature have been my choice for a while now, so writing in the fallout universe is an obvious choice. I suppose RPGs are well suited to writing fanfic, Fallout for example, has a decent amount of scale to it, but the open ended game doesn't box you in too much with a set narrative and there's a lot of "empty space" both in game and in the chronology to work with.

View user profile

9 Re: Fanfiction on Thu May 14, 2015 7:12 pm

I find they can be pretty fun and enjoyable. If a show has ended and I'm curious what could happen to certain characters after it gives a nice possible scenario. When they are written well they can add to the characters and just give you some more time with characters you've gotten attached to.

I've dabbled at it, but it certainly can be a difficult thing to do well. Especially if you want to add characters into that universe and do it properly.

View user profile http://www.anime-evo.net

10 Re: Fanfiction on Sun May 24, 2015 11:41 am

I'd argue that deliberately changing a character outside of their canon-described personality could be interesting as well.

I like to think of fanfiction as exploration of characters, stories and themes you've liked in different directions and circumstances. I have yet to write anything myself, but I've thought about some story ideas in length, wrote down some of them to get a better feel of the structure that came to my mind, that sort of thing. While doing so, I've run into some plot turns, some characters' actions that either don't fully make sense to me or I just disagree with.

Even if whatever I happen to scrounge up one day will end up not posted anywhere people would be able to read it, I refuse to operate with plot points I don't comprehend and write things I don't like reading. And reading the exact same thing, like 'stations of canon' and/or most widely used fan interpretations is boring anyway, so why not shake things up a bit?

I'm not saying that trying to fit a fanfiction in the existing narrative without contradicting anything, fill in the blanks in the gaps or come up with a POV we don't get to see for ourselves in canon in order to explain someone's actions that seem... strange is somehow bad or shouldn't be done. No, of course not.

But if you already playing in another's sandbox, then why don't experiment and see what happens?

View user profile

11 Re: Fanfiction on Sun May 24, 2015 1:46 pm

I agree with this a lot. I'm writing a fallout story because I enjoy the setting and I enjoy the theme about survival and exploring human nature. But if somebody else wrote an action story or political intrigue story then that's great. I tend to try and fit into the universe because it just makes sense to me, but I admit that I like the idea that a reader would enjoy that I respected the setting. That's just personal choice and especially suitable for something like Fallout.

I'm planning to include characters in game that either have little or no back story. Admittedly that's caution not to contradict what's already in lore and also something players can think about if they play the game again. Honestly it's part trying to balance what I think might be enjoyable to read and ive fallen into the trap of not wanting people to point out holes in the continuity etc. At the end of the day it's fanfic and most people just want to read a good story. Im not bothered with Reading stories out of the sandbox, (though I tend not to it in my setting) and it shouldn't be an issue. If it's an issue then there's other stories and offical books etc.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum