» Bound by the Past
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 6-1069
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

You are not connected. Please login or register

Character Death

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Character Death on Mon May 25, 2015 7:57 am

Besides the ending of a story, killing off a character is something that must be done with care. There are exceptions for doing a well done death like Happy Tree Friends where characters die in gruesome ways in every episode, or a minor character who may had one scene, but if you do it right and build up to it, you'll get something great:

And this is the highlight of both Sonic Adventure and the anime, and Gamma's my favorite Sonic Character besides Tails. But if you do it wrong, not only would leave a bad taste in someones mouth but it could offended the people who care about that character. If ay has watched Atop The Fourth Wall, you'll know Linkara doesn't like it when characters are killed off for the sake of shock value.And this review is the perfect example:

And no, I'm not against killing character as long as there's a reason for it. Death isn't and shouldn't be something you can fix without a good explanation like magic balls or taking a soul out of Hell, It's death. The end of someones life. And can't make everything better by making retcons. Yathzee, did you have some thoughts about this.

View user profile

2 Re: Character Death on Tue May 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Agree. Shock value usually seems ridiculous because it gets its name by its overuse/misuse Imo. Game of thrones season 1 finale handled it right imo. At least making you wonder if it can happen and being brave by following through.

It was handled poorly in the beginning of me2 imo. The story shouldn't be that linked to conveniently resetting the scene for gameplay reasons. And tbh if we just take it as a story it makes little sense anyway.

Another example is the fake out. This happens a ton in bleach. There's so little tension on repeat watches that it's just ridiculous. People survive just ... Because.

View user profile

3 Re: Character Death on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:17 am

Playing ME2 as my first Mass effect game, I actually enjoyed the sudden death.  It drew me in into wanting to know why the character was so important to save.  Smile

Last edited by 789TheN00B on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

4 Re: Character Death on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:00 pm

I remember when I first witnessed Crono's complete and utter annihilation by Lavos. I was agape. Thankfully, though, you were able to bring him back. ME3 was also a tough one. Choose to save EITHER the geth or quarians. As a pragmatist I chose the geth, but seeing tali afterwards broke me so now I make it a thing to save both. Just my examples of deaths done right, IMO.

View user profile

5 Re: Character Death on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:08 pm

If you are going to kill a character and bring him back, well you cant really kill a character. ME2 did it ridiculously stupid, even though I admire the scene. BUt think about it - orbital re entry, the hulls of the ships in real life burn off and then the speed at which Shepard would crash into the planet, make his rebirth nonsensical. Since Shepard was less than goo after his death. So overall it was a poor death. Why not coma? Why not have him suffocate while floating in space?

There is also a Joss Whedon - or the realist method - of death. Everything is going on fine and you dont give any indication that the characters is going to die, and then the character dies suddenly because of a certain reason. Thats powerful and sudden and impossible to predict, see Serenity

Also I believe that if you really want to make death powerful and meaningful the story in some way should revolve around it.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum