» Turn 6-1069
Today at 11:40 am by SilverDragonRed

» Some interesting thing with Star Trek Discovery
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 am by ZeroCool

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:41 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mass Effect 3, Your Edition

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1 Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Tue May 26, 2015 2:05 pm

I suppose I will open the floodgates here with something most of us have in common. How would you do your version of Mass Effect 3? Not just the ending.

2 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Tue May 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Off the top of my head, I'll start with the most ludicrous thing, I would keep the star child BUT the conversation with him will be redone.

Instead of having the child talk down to you with terrible logic presented as facts, I would have him talk down to you with terrible logic that can be disproven. The star child has a similar origin to G0T0 where they are both AI that were tasked with solving an impossible question and as a result snapped so it would make sense that this character wouldn't be right (as well as conformation bias from the previous cycles failures).
Remember when Shepard can rebuttal the child by bringing up the peace between the geth and the quarians, Imagine if there were several dialogue choices where you can bring up previous accomplishments and events (hey remember those choices) to win the argument, and if you made the right choices you can convince the star child that this cycle is capable of survival and the reapers surrender/self destruct. And even if that fails, it could still be possible to beat the reapers through sheer military power (remember when this game was about uniting the galaxy).

Second, I would have made harbinger a reoccurring villain in the same way as the illusive man rather than a cameo, then we have a face for our main villain, opportunities to foreshadow the star child, a collector faction to vary the gameplay and a boss fight, speaking of boss fights...

Space combat, at no point in the game(s) have we ever fought a reaper directly except maybe ME2's final boss, mainly because there's a large difference in size, space combat offers the best method to fight a reaper mano e mano.

View user profile

3 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed May 27, 2015 4:05 am

Whew, that's an interesting topic.

First, I'd probably do something with the quest system. I found it really frustrating. I think it'd be better to have the quests more clearly lined up and easier to track.

Second, I'd have liked to do something with that whole Reaper patrol during galaxy exploration. Rather than an instant Game Over when they touch you, I'd have done something else. Either a mission or a full blown space combat sequence where you have to escape the reaper. I'm not saying blow it up, but some kind of space combat. You are at war with the Reapers, I mean come on, do something with that.

Thirdly, have decisions matter more. ME2 was fun in the last mission because those upgrades and choices had an effect on things. I want your allies and decisions to mean more than "army points." You make things work with the Rachni, then you have them fighting in the last battle! You choose the Geth and/or the Quarians, then you have the battle change in some way. Make the choices matter.

And yeah, that ending.....Just toss the Star Child, just toss it. I want Harbinger to be important here. Either use him or introduce a few major Reapers. I don't care how, I would have made some kind of last boss situation with Harbinger. Whether it's a space battle or trying to destroy him from the inside, I would have made it happen.

I might have actually run with the Indoctrination Theory to a degree. I think that was a fun idea. Have a battle inside Shepard's own head that is built up throughout the game. You can still have that big last boss situation, but the mental battle can be part of it.

Also, a better reveal for Tali's face. I mean a photoshopped picture....really Bioware? Put some real effort into it.

So yeah, just a few things I would have done with Mass Effect 3 as a whole.

View user profile http://www.anime-evo.net

4 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed May 27, 2015 7:05 am

That... will take some time. My changes go directly do ME1, and some things i've imagined down to camera angles and stuff.

Heck, i've fantasized about animating some of it myself, if the resource extraction process wasn't so tiresome and my skills were a little better.

EDIT: *cracks knuckles* Let's give it a try.

Adrian Shepard

Born and raised on Mindoir until age 8, when a Batarian raid killed most of her family. Left for Earth with mother, who tried to set her on the straight and narrow, but trauma made adjusting difficult. She eventually got sucked into a life of crime with the Reds - something that seemed to agree with her far better than a normal life. She was smart, resourceful, fierce and stubborn, and quickly became respected among the gang. It was during one of the gang's misadventures that she received secondary exposure to Element-0, when she was 14. She was able to able to levitate coins about a year later.

It all came to a head, though, in a gig that lead to a confrontation with an extremely powerful and vicious biotic girl, that all but decimated the Reds. Shepard stood her ground, using everything from the environment to her own bloody anger to fight back. She lured the girl into wasting her aggression at shadows, maneuvering herself into the best blind spot she could find. When she finally emerged, Jack barely had time to react as Adrian smashed a 50kg concrete bag right at her head. She managed to blast the bag to pieces just as it made contact, only for the contents to spill out in a smoke screen that made breathing impossible. Ready for it, Adrian furiously tackled her off the scaffolding they were in, breaking through the boards on the floor below and landing with her full weight on Jack's ribs, knocking all the air right out of her. In a rage, Adrian doesn't give it a second's pause as she proceeds to relentlessly pummel the other girl's face with every bit of strength she has left. But even in that state, Jack still has plenty of power left in her, as she puts all her remaining energy into a biotic grip at Adrian, who instantly feels her fists slowing down as some force tries to crush everything from her throat to her head. Not giving up, she jams both her hands into a clawing grip of her own at Jack's throat, as the two girls rush to squeeze the life out of the other before their own runs out.

The frenzy is cut short, though, by the blaring arrival of the police, who's lights and noise give them both a momentary distraction. Taking a split second longer to recover, Adrian can only register a blast on her chest that sends her flying into a wall.

She wakes up in a hospital bed, covered in bruises and with a few broken bones. She's sentenced to some prison time, but is given the option to serve it in the armed forces instead, which she intended to refuse until her mother finally beat some sense into her.

Long story short, she took part in the disastrous expedition to Akuze, was sent to Elysium to recover just as the Skillian Blitz took place, which she helped defend against, then took the fight to Torfan, which sent her right back to a hospital bed. She was 24 years old by this point. (I'm setting the Akuze disaster to a year earlier to allow it all to coincide - i'm greedy that way. Also, she's essentially the Sole Survivor type, just had a role to play in the other two incidents, because i'm assuming a career soldier would have more than one sortie under her belt in all those years, let alone a Specter candidate.)

She was admitted for the ICT program after her injuries were healed, developing her latent Biotic abilities and being fitted with an L3 implant. She graduated with an N7 proficiency level, and given the rank of Commander.

She was yet unaccustomed to her Biotics by 2183, and refrained from using them in actual combat. Though some skills did come in handy as utility powers, she stuck to what she knew worked when her life depended on it.

EDIT 2

Human Biotic auras are different from Asari. While Asari have the nice even look that you see in-game, Human Auras are more chaotic and tend to spark with static electricity (which they do in actual canon, by the way, i'm just amping up the effect).

Weapons have detachable heatsinks. After they reach a certain temperature, the weapon's computer will automatically lock out the firing mechanism until the temperature reaches an acceptable level. It's not a recommended practice to hack the weapon's factory settings to raise the upper firing limit, as it can potentially result in the heatsink melting into the weapon and rendering it unusable, but experienced soldiers who know their own weapons will often remove the lockout altogether. It's standard practice to carry spare heatsinks into combat, as often enough you can't afford to wait for the cooldown, and have to eject the heatsink and pop in a new one. The military has been increasingly adopting Thermal Clips instead, which have no integrated cooling technology but are far cheaper, though it's still regulation to carry at least one fully working heatsink into any deployment.

On the other hand, individual Soldiers are increasingly paying out their own pocket for high-quality heatsink models, often going outside standard military supply lines for the ability to squeeze another three, four, five rounds. Official doctrine frowns upon this practice, but most COs will often turn a blind eye.

When engaging in extra-vehicular activity, the standard Alliance Armor offers full protection against vaccum or hostile environmental conditions. The helmet is a particularly cumbersome piece of equipment if you lack the ability to properly stow it after removal, so when not in use, the helmet's back can be slid upward, into a more compact shape, that you can fit onto the armor's shoulder.

View user profile

5 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed May 27, 2015 9:42 am

Just tossing out something here. Who would want Sovereign to have a role in ME3 in a way that made sense?

6 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed May 27, 2015 10:06 am

Personal opinion, anything can make sense if you write it convincingly enough - it's more of a technical issue than a creative one.

Rather, if the addition of Sovereign added substance to the story (and made sense), then yes, i'd be looking forward to it.

View user profile

7 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed May 27, 2015 10:08 am

I mention the Sovereign thing because in the last 3 years the one thing I've never heard anyone speculate on is Sovereign returning in ME3 in some format or another, which I find interesting since I think if done properly it would work.

8 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed May 27, 2015 10:15 am

Well, it kinda got trashed in ME1.

The factors going for it is that it's an alien entity with a kind of physiology we know nothing about, so it could theoretically have survived; it's hulk having been stored somewhere for research, presumed dead, then when the reapers arrived they could have revived it.

Heck, replace object Ro for the Sovereign hulk in the Arrival DLC and you got something interesting right there, though explaining how it survived the Alpha Relay going BOOM would probably be stretching it.

The fatal question to me is, what would it add. I mean, it would add Sovereign, in a game that the only personality it gives the Reapers is that abomination of a Starboy, so maybe just having Sovereign in it is it's own reward, but then you'd be left wondering about Harbinger. Or you could have Harbinger too, but then the main villain would be divided.

Of course, some creative enough writing would certainly make it work, but that's not the kind of thing i can imagine right off the bat. You have something in mind?

View user profile

9 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed May 27, 2015 10:22 am

I do... but it has to do with how I always envisioned the Reapers. And again I only really mention it to put it into other people's heads to see their ideas. I am an idea vampire... slurp slurp

10 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 pm

The Lorerunner wrote:I suppose I will open the floodgates here with something most of us have in common.  How would you do your version of Mass Effect 3?  Not just the ending.

I would redo both ME2 and Me3 maybe have shep die when the reapers invade and move it to the end of ME3, and then you can do the whole come back to life at the start of ME3 and as for the ME3 ending well the game would have to change alot as for the ending well other people would be much more creative then me however anything where you actually got some kind of epic end game not just a hold out and then shoot some rockets and talk to the star child....

View user profile

11 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Thu May 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Btw, i might forget this is a video game from time to time and just tell a story. I'm crappy that way.

Some lights flicker on, showing Shepard's unconscious face, as a projection of a mirrored timer counts down against her eyelids. She grimaces for a second, then forces her eyes open, in a bit of a groggy expression. She's lying in some kind of coffin, with a transparent shield right on top of her, displaying the current time. Above, a few people are walking by on the wall. She closes her eyes, takes a breath, flicks a few switches, bringing up some displays on the transparent surface above her face, then shuts it all down, presses a few more buttons and the top slides open. She pushes herself up and out, and gravity suddenly shifts 100 degrees forward as she leaves the sleeping pod's Mass Effect field, stepping barefoot onto the walkway, still rubbing her eyes, reaching out into the pod again to grab the uniform she'd been using as a pillow and sliding into it with practiced ease.

She walks onto the mess hall, grabs some food and a tray (because even the SR1 needs somewhere people can eat) and joins Jenkins and Dr. Chakwas at the table. They chat just like in the game, until Shepard gives an innocent smile and nod to some figure behind them. Jenkins turns back in curiosity, to find Nihlus staring, off in a corner, apparently not as inconspicuously as he'd like. He calmly walks off, followed by Shepard's eyes till he's out of view. The fake cheerfulness dissipating from her face as he disappears from sight, replaced by suspicious annoyance.

Shepard doesn't like being watched.

Jenkins makes some rookie remark, Shepards says nothing, still staring at the corner Nihlus left her sight at, and the alarm on her watch beeps a short time after.

"Sigh... i should go."

Locker Room

Shepard buttons up her uniform and ties her boots (not her ground combat armor, 'cause that would be stupid).

Off screen - Anderson, Hackett and Udina have the "What about Shepard" dialogue. The Theme begins to play.

She splashes some water on her face, gives it a quick look in the mirror - her eyes hardening a bit, then walks off.

Black screen - In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization.

Space -Normandy flies by random gas planet.

Normandy CIC - Shepard walks past the crew. She absentmindedly returns every salute, because in my tangent universe these details matter more than Miranda's ass.

Joker's voice - "The Arcturus Prime Relay is in range. Initiating transmission sequence."

Black screen - In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars.

Space - Normandy flies past random gas planet, out to a dull blue light far off in the distance.

Normandy CIC - Shepard makes her way to the bridge.

Joker's voice - "We are conected. Calculating transit mass and destination."

Space - Arcturus Prime Relay lights up, the blue glow at it's core intensifying, and the rings spinning gradually faster.

Black screen - The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.

Space - Normandy approaches the Relay, as her thrusters align into FTL mode.

Joker's voice - "The Relay is hot. Acquiring approach vector. All stations, secure for transit."

Normandy Int - Shepard reaches the Bridge (no need for that big face reveal shot, for obvious reasons). There's a forward visual display of the approaching Relay, that pretty much fills the fore section of the cockpit.

Joker - "The board is Green. Approach run has begun."

Space - The Normandy is now visibly dwarfed by the Relay, as it's center luminous mass pretty much fills the screen.

Black Screen - They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it...

Joker's voice - "Hitting the relay in 3..."

Normandy Bridge - The visual display is pretty much blue energy with some giant rings swinging by. Shepard grabs a safety railing.

Joker - "2..."

Shepard's gaze hardens in anticipation.

Joker - "1..."

Space - Normandy is caught by the Relay and warps off in a bright blue flash.

Black Screen - MASS EFFECT

Stuff:

My Normandy has either a front viewport like the SR2, or if that's unsafe at least a forward visual display of some kind, because she's apparently meant to be flown like some kind of oversized fighter. And because it looks good for a ton of dramatic purposes.

The cockpit's control interface is actually made up of actual physical buttons and handles and a damn control stick. Might have holographic interfaces for added funcionality, but she's kind of a combat spaceship in space, and you just don't fly something like that by sliding your fingers over some bright lights. It's ok, Joker's vrolik is limited to his legs. Because it is; screw you ME2.

Also, she has safety railings and harnesses all over. It's an ironclad rule (because this is my version, and i say it is) that the standard crew complement of any Alliance ship must never exceed 90% of the number of fixed safety harnesses installed. And under no circumstance outside of an unforeseen emergency may it ever carry a combined number of crew and passengers that exceeds that number altogether.

View user profile

12 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Thu May 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Where ME3 needs to first be changed is at the beginning of ME2. Keep the SR-1 being destroyed, and Shepard dying. But, instead of a stupid comic covering the chase, the Collectors capture Shepard's body right then and there. It would make sense for them since one of their objectives was to nab Shepard (for whatever reason).

Shepard wakes up two years later in a Collector pod. But, Shepard gets rescued by Legion who helps him escape the base, and get past the Omega-4 relay. The first place they go is Omega where they might meet Mordin Solus and/or Garrus. From there, they learn how the Citadel races are discrediting Shepard, and are quite possibly alone.

This way the game can start off with some clarity about who the threat is and how big of a threat they are. That way we can just get on 'collecting' our pokemon squad members, and not wonder why we aren't even attempting to gather data on our enemies.

View user profile

13 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Thu May 28, 2015 11:08 pm

Not going to go in to too much detail. Here are the key things:

1. Cerberus isn't a Saturday morning cartoon evil corporation suddenly. That's stupid.

2. TIM works with you; provides an opposing view on Crucible vs Admiral Hackett (control vs destroy.)

3. Kai Leng leads renegade Cerberus faction who don't want to depend on questionable superweapon to win. Flesh him out more; give actual introduction; unscript his boss fights.

4. Remove Citadel scene completely; doesn't fit. Star Child is gone.

5. Fight with Harbinger at beam; death of Anderson/TIM (depending on who you side with) there.

6. Rework those "choices" where there's a clear good/evil option. Paragon/renegade != good/evil.

7. War assets don't have a "goal." Don't let the player know if it's enough until the actual moment.

8. The entire opening scene needs to go. It serves little point and doesn't flow well with the previous games. Reaper invasion should start while Shepard is on the Normandy; not with a meaningless tribunal.

There's more minor stuff, but that's what immediately springs to mind.

View user profile http://thethirdgames.com

14 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Fri May 29, 2015 11:45 am

PencilManners wrote:
Spoiler:
Off the top of my head, I'll start with the most ludicrous thing, I would keep the star child BUT the conversation with him will be redone.

Instead of having the child talk down to you with terrible logic presented as facts, I would have him talk down to you with terrible logic that can be disproven. The star child has a similar origin to G0T0 where they are both AI that were tasked with solving an impossible question and as a result snapped so it would make sense that this character wouldn't be right (as well as conformation bias from the previous cycles failures).
Remember when Shepard can rebuttal the child by bringing up the peace between the geth and the quarians, Imagine if there were several dialogue choices where you can bring up previous accomplishments and events (hey remember those choices) to win the argument, and if you made the right choices you can convince the star child that this cycle is capable of survival and the reapers surrender/self destruct. And even if that fails, it could still be possible to beat the reapers through sheer military power (remember when this game was about uniting the galaxy).

Second, I would have made harbinger a reoccurring villain in the same way as the illusive man rather than a cameo, then we have a face for our main villain, opportunities to foreshadow the star child, a collector faction to vary the gameplay and a boss fight, speaking of boss fights...

Space combat, at no point in the game(s) have we ever fought a reaper directly except maybe ME2's final boss, mainly because there's a large difference in size, space combat offers the best method to fight a reaper mano e mano.
I do admit I like the idea of the AI being used in the G0T0 fashion... the impossible question breaking the logical mind (see; Voyager's "Latent Image" for a moderately good example of this). I also like the idea of being able to win the argument multiple ways or, failing that, beating the Reapers conventionally.
Don't have much to add to the Harbinger thing cuz... he should've been in the game, but I do really like the idea of space combat being in. Even if it was Star Fox style, that would have been so much fun. A true TIE Fighter thing would've been good too, or even an STO style thing. All in favor thar.

15 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Fri May 29, 2015 12:53 pm

FlareKnight wrote:
Spoiler:
Whew, that's an interesting topic.

First, I'd probably do something with the quest system. I found it really frustrating. I think it'd be better to have the quests more clearly lined up and easier to track.

Second, I'd have liked to do something with that whole Reaper patrol during galaxy exploration. Rather than an instant Game Over when they touch you, I'd have done something else. Either a mission or a full blown space combat sequence where you have to escape the reaper. I'm not saying blow it up, but some kind of space combat. You are at war with the Reapers, I mean come on, do something with that.

Thirdly, have decisions matter more. ME2 was fun in the last mission because those upgrades and choices had an effect on things. I want your allies and decisions to mean more than "army points." You make things work with the Rachni, then you have them fighting in the last battle! You choose the Geth and/or the Quarians, then you have the battle change in some way. Make the choices matter.

And yeah, that ending.....Just toss the Star Child, just toss it. I want Harbinger to be important here. Either use him or introduce a few major Reapers. I don't care how, I would have made some kind of last boss situation with Harbinger. Whether it's a space battle or trying to destroy him from the inside, I would have made it happen.

I might have actually run with the Indoctrination Theory to a degree. I think that was a fun idea. Have a battle inside Shepard's own head that is built up throughout the game. You can still have that big last boss situation, but the mental battle can be part of it.

Also, a better reveal for Tali's face. I mean a photoshopped picture....really Bioware? Put some real effort into it.

So yeah, just a few things I would have done with Mass Effect 3 as a whole.

Agreed on the quest system, at first it was a nice gimmick but as with all gimmicks it wore thin quickly, and the quest log was just atrocious.  The space combat thing I already commented on and, again, totally with.  The choices matter thing... yes.  Especially since, and the developers themselves said this, with the ending of a trilogy you can do more branching with the storyline.  I also admit I rather enjoy the idea of a battle inside the mind, especially with some fun Interface Screws and misdirection along the way.

K wrote:
Spoiler:
That... will take some time. My changes go directly do ME1, and some things i've imagined down to camera angles and stuff.

Heck, i've fantasized about animating some of it myself, if the resource extraction process wasn't so tiresome and my skills were a little better.

EDIT: *cracks knuckles* Let's give it a try.

Adrian Shepard

Born and raised on Mindoir until age 8, when a Batarian raid killed most of her family. Left for Earth with mother, who tried to set her on the straight and narrow, but trauma made adjusting difficult. She eventually got sucked into a life of crime with the Reds - something that seemed to agree with her far better than a normal life. She was smart, resourceful, fierce and stubborn, and quickly became respected among the gang. It was during one of the gang's misadventures that she received secondary exposure to Element-0, when she was 14. She was able to able to levitate coins about a year later.

It all came to a head, though, in a gig that lead to a confrontation with an extremely powerful and vicious biotic girl, that all but decimated the Reds. Shepard stood her ground, using everything from the environment to her own bloody anger to fight back. She lured the girl into wasting her aggression at shadows, maneuvering herself into the best blind spot she could find. When she finally emerged, Jack barely had time to react as Adrian smashed a 50kg concrete bag right at her head. She managed to blast the bag to pieces just as it made contact, only for the contents to spill out in a smoke screen that made breathing impossible. Ready for it, Adrian furiously tackled her off the scaffolding they were in, breaking through the boards on the floor below and landing with her full weight on Jack's ribs, knocking all the air right out of her. In a rage, Adrian doesn't give it a second's pause as she proceeds to relentlessly pummel the other girl's face with every bit of strength she has left. But even in that state, Jack still has plenty of power left in her, as she puts all her remaining energy into a biotic grip at Adrian, who instantly feels her fists slowing down as some force tries to crush everything from her throat to her head. Not giving up, she jams both her hands into a clawing grip of her own at Jack's throat, as the two girls rush to squeeze the life out of the other before their own runs out.

The frenzy is cut short, though, by the blaring arrival of the police, who's lights and noise give them both a momentary distraction. Taking a split second longer to recover, Adrian can only register a blast on her chest that sends her flying into a wall.

She wakes up in a hospital bed, covered in bruises and with a few broken bones. She's sentenced to some prison time, but is given the option to serve it in the armed forces instead, which she intended to refuse until her mother finally beat some sense into her.

Long story short, she took part in the disastrous expedition to Akuze, was sent to Elysium to recover just as the Skillian Blitz took place, which she helped defend against, then took the fight to Torfan, which sent her right back to a hospital bed. She was 24 years old by this point. (I'm setting the Akuze disaster to a year earlier to allow it all to coincide - i'm greedy that way. Also, she's essentially the Sole Survivor type, just had a role to play in the other two incidents, because i'm assuming a career soldier would have more than one sortie under her belt in all those years, let alone a Specter candidate.)

She was admitted for the ICT program after her injuries were healed, developing her latent Biotic abilities and being fitted with an L3 implant. She graduated with an N7 proficiency level, and given the rank of Commander.

She was yet unaccustomed to her Biotics by 2183, and refrained from using them in actual combat. Though some skills did come in handy as utility powers, she stuck to what she knew worked when her life depended on it.

EDIT 2

Human Biotic auras are different from Asari. While Asari have the nice even look that you see in-game, Human Auras are more chaotic and tend to spark with static electricity (which they do in actual canon, by the way, i'm just amping up the effect).

Weapons have detachable heatsinks. After they reach a certain temperature, the weapon's computer will automatically lock out the firing mechanism until the temperature reaches an acceptable level. It's not a recommended practice to hack the weapon's factory settings to raise the upper firing limit, as it can potentially result in the heatsink melting into the weapon and rendering it unusable, but experienced soldiers who know their own weapons will often remove the lockout altogether. It's standard practice to carry spare heatsinks into combat, as often enough you can't afford to wait for the cooldown, and have to eject the heatsink and pop in a new one. The military has been increasingly adopting Thermal Clips instead, which have no integrated cooling technology but are far cheaper, though it's still regulation to carry at least one fully working heatsink into any deployment.

On the other hand, individual Soldiers are increasingly paying out their own pocket for high-quality heatsink models, often going outside standard military supply lines for the ability to squeeze another three, four, five rounds. Official doctrine frowns upon this practice, but most COs will often turn a blind eye.

When engaging in extra-vehicular activity, the standard Alliance Armor offers full protection against vaccum or hostile environmental conditions. The helmet is a particularly cumbersome piece of equipment if you lack the ability to properly stow it after removal, so when not in use, the helmet's back can be slid upward, into a more compact shape, that you can fit onto the armor's shoulder.
Debating what to say about all this.  Your Shepard is an interesting character I admit, and it's interesting to see that they accomplished so much with effectively nothing to back them.  I like the little setting touches to help flesh the technology into a bit more hard science.  I also rather like the idea of the Alliance military being... well, the Alliance military.

ZeroCool wrote:
Spoiler:
I would redo both ME2 and Me3 maybe have shep die when the reapers invade and move it to the end of ME3, and then you can do the whole come back to life at the start of ME3 and as for the ME3 ending well the game would have to change alot as for the ending well other people would be much more creative then me however anything where you actually got some kind of epic end game not just a hold out and then shoot some rockets and talk to the star child....
I admit the idea of Shepard dying at the end of ME2 instead of the beginning is interesting, would've been a nice cliffhanger.  Though it would also be nice to have the option in such a situation to not have Shepard come back at the beginning of ME3.

K wrote:
Spoiler:

Btw, i might forget this is a video game from time to time and just tell a story. I'm crappy that way.

Some lights flicker on, showing Shepard's unconscious face, as a projection of a mirrored timer counts down against her eyelids. She grimaces for a second, then forces her eyes open, in a bit of a groggy expression. She's lying in some kind of coffin, with a transparent shield right on top of her, displaying the current time. Above, a few people are walking by on the wall. She closes her eyes, takes a breath, flicks a few switches, bringing up some displays on the transparent surface above her face, then shuts it all down, presses a few more buttons and the top slides open. She pushes herself up and out, and gravity suddenly shifts 100 degrees forward as she leaves the sleeping pod's Mass Effect field, stepping barefoot onto the walkway, still rubbing her eyes, reaching out into the pod again to grab the uniform she'd been using as a pillow and sliding into it with practiced ease.

She walks onto the mess hall, grabs some food and a tray (because even the SR1 needs somewhere people can eat) and joins Jenkins and Dr. Chakwas at the table. They chat just like in the game, until Shepard gives an innocent smile and nod to some figure behind them. Jenkins turns back in curiosity, to find Nihlus staring, off in a corner, apparently not as inconspicuously as he'd like. He calmly walks off, followed by Shepard's eyes till he's out of view. The fake cheerfulness dissipating from her face as he disappears from sight, replaced by suspicious annoyance.

Shepard doesn't like being watched.

Jenkins makes some rookie remark, Shepards says nothing, still staring at the corner Nihlus left her sight at, and the alarm on her watch beeps a short time after.

"Sigh... i should go."

Locker Room

Shepard buttons up her uniform and ties her boots (not her ground combat armor, 'cause that would be stupid).

Off screen - Anderson, Hackett and Udina have the "What about Shepard" dialogue. The Theme begins to play.

She splashes some water on her face, gives it a quick look in the mirror - her eyes hardening a bit, then walks off.

Black screen - In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization.

Space -Normandy flies by random gas planet.

Normandy CIC - Shepard walks past the crew. She absentmindedly returns every salute, because in my tangent universe these details matter more than Miranda's ass.

Joker's voice - "The Arcturus Prime Relay is in range. Initiating transmission sequence."

Black screen - In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars.

Space - Normandy flies past random gas planet, out to a dull blue light far off in the distance.

Normandy CIC - Shepard makes her way to the bridge.

Joker's voice - "We are conected. Calculating transit mass and destination."

Space - Arcturus Prime Relay lights up, the blue glow at it's core intensifying, and the rings spinning gradually faster.

Black screen - The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.

Space - Normandy approaches the Relay, as her thrusters align into FTL mode.

Joker's voice - "The Relay is hot. Acquiring approach vector. All stations, secure for transit."

Normandy Int - Shepard reaches the Bridge (no need for that big face reveal shot, for obvious reasons). There's a forward visual display of the approaching Relay, that pretty much fills the fore section of the cockpit.

Joker - "The board is Green. Approach run has begun."

Space - The Normandy is now visibly dwarfed by the Relay, as it's center luminous mass pretty much fills the screen.

Black Screen - They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it...

Joker's voice - "Hitting the relay in 3..."

Normandy Bridge - The visual display is pretty much blue energy with some giant rings swinging by. Shepard grabs a safety railing.

Joker - "2..."

Shepard's gaze hardens in anticipation.

Joker - "1..."

Space - Normandy is caught by the Relay and warps off in a bright blue flash.

Black Screen - MASS EFFECT

Stuff:

My Normandy has either a front viewport like the SR2, or if that's unsafe at least a forward visual display of some kind, because she's apparently meant to be flown like some kind of oversized fighter. And because it looks good for a ton of dramatic purposes.

The cockpit's control interface is actually made up of actual physical buttons and handles and a damn control stick. Might have holographic interfaces for added functionality, but she's kind of a combat spaceship in space, and you just don't fly something like that by sliding your fingers over some bright lights. It's ok, Joker's vrolik is limited to his legs. Because it is; screw you ME2.

Also, she has safety railings and harnesses all over. It's an ironclad rule (because this is my version, and i say it is) that the standard crew complement of any Alliance ship must never exceed 90% of the number of fixed safety harnesses installed. And under no circumstance outside of an unforeseen emergency may it ever carry a combined number of crew and passengers that exceeds that number altogether.
More setting touches, more positive.  The safety railings thing I'm fully on board with, and I also prefer the idea of physical controls (at the very least as a manual backup since... uh... manual backups should always be a thing.  And yes I know that 'manual' wouldn't be accurate in this concept but let's not get into technicalities).  As an aside I also always pictured the Normandy as what I qualify as a Corvette, aka a fast and mobile ship that's a hybrid between a capital ship and a fighter, which of course the games themselves seem to back up.  As an aside, I'm curious how your Shepard would react over time to Nihilus and his... fate.

SilverDragonRed wrote:
Spoiler:
Where ME3 needs to first be changed is at the beginning of ME2.  Keep the SR-1 being destroyed, and Shepard dying.  But, instead of a stupid comic covering the chase, the Collectors capture Shepard's body right then and there.  It would make sense for them since one of their objectives was to nab Shepard (for whatever reason).

Shepard wakes up two years later in a Collector pod.  But, Shepard gets rescued by Legion who helps him escape the base, and get past the Omega-4 relay.  The first place they go is Omega where they might meet Mordin Solus and/or Garrus.  From there, they learn how the Citadel races are discrediting Shepard, and are quite possibly alone.

This way the game can start off with some clarity about who the threat is and how big of a threat they are.  That way we can just get on 'collecting' our pokemon squad members, and not wonder why we aren't even attempting to gather data on our enemies.
Hum.  I like the idea of starting the game off in such a dark place, especially since I can picture Shepard in desperation being led towards seeking out Cerberus rather than vice versa.  Similarly I like the setup for what we did actually see in ME2; ME2 was always about the more down to earth, personal, and darker aspects of the galaxy.  Having the game start with the 'upper' crust of galactic society having rejected the Reaper threat, and by consequence the party, leading to the underlying question that should be quietly nagging the back of the player's minds: Should this galaxy be saved?  On the one side we have high minded aristocrats, wealthy, comfortable, clean... and unwilling to lift a finger when a true, overwhelming threat is presented.  And on the other hand we would have the dirty, harsh dregs of society, willing to do anything just to advance their own lives (be it militarily, economically, politically, personally, etc.) and unconcerned with 'larger affairs' like the threat that is presented.

TheThird wrote:
Spoiler:
Not going to go in to too much detail. Here are the key things:

1. Cerberus isn't a Saturday morning cartoon evil corporation suddenly. That's stupid.

2. TIM works with you; provides an opposing view on Crucible vs Admiral Hackett (control vs destroy.)

3. Kai Leng leads renegade Cerberus faction who don't want to depend on questionable superweapon to win. Flesh him out more; give actual introduction; unscript his boss fights.

4. Remove Citadel scene completely; doesn't fit. Star Child is gone.

5. Fight with Harbinger at beam; death of Anderson/TIM (depending on who you side with) there.

6. Rework those "choices" where there's a clear good/evil option. Paragon/renegade != good/evil.

7. War assets don't have a "goal." Don't let the player know if it's enough until the actual moment.

8. The entire opening scene needs to go. It serves little point and doesn't flow well with the previous games. Reaper invasion should start while Shepard is on the Normandy; not with a meaningless tribunal.

There's more minor stuff, but that's what immediately springs to mind.
Cerberus intelligent?  Yes.  TIM working with you and providing an alternate perspective?  God yes.  A Kai Leng who's an actual character without being a cheating bastard?  Sign me up.  Hell all of these I'm on board with, lemme just say yes to all of the above.

16 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Sat May 30, 2015 9:27 am

The Lorerunner wrote:Just tossing out something here.  Who would want Sovereign to have a role in ME3 in a way that made sense?

Actually, its interesting that you bring that up considering EDI's connection to Sovereign. A slight change to her backstory would allow EDI to be the key to defeating the Reapers by mining Sovereign's memory for data. Perhaps more of Sovereign was in her than she knew, making her Sovereign's "daughter." In fact, having Harbinger acknowledge as much at some point would make for some serious EDI street cred.

Anyway by following this information, a new main quest would emerge, leading us out of the normal galaxy entirely and to the Reaper's home system. We'd do this by assembling the greatest minds in the galaxy, including TIM and Cerberus, to figure out how to repair and expand the Citadel's mass effect relay trap so the Normandy could jump through.

You'd still need to travel around and do the diplomacy thing to unite the various races to make this happen and to get ready for some kind of last stand, but basically researching your enemies would reveal some fatal weakness for the Reapers. I'm just spit balling here so I don't know what that is but I'm sure one of you smart guys could figure out a good 2 or 3. Maybe they were the result of a civil war between two factions of a now extinct alien race. Or maybe they are just a rampant AI like in real 3. I don't know.

Also, let EDI have her own Reaper body. Maybe you can assemble one from the left over parts from Shepard's and the husked remains floating around the Reaper home system. Maybe the crew can ram it into Harbinger for the big finish over Earth.

I'd also have the Citadel fall to the Reapers while Shep and the crew are doing this so that the first victory of the Alliance fleet would be retaking the galactic capital. I think it would only be appropriate for the galactic fleet to surprise attack the invaders using their old trap trick. Suck on that irony you stupid giant space terrors from beyond.

View user profile

17 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Sun May 31, 2015 3:21 am

For the Geth/Quarian war, I would have made it possible for Legion to survive ONLY if you achieve peace. The Quarians win, he lashes out and you kill him. The Geth win, he has to disseminate his consciousness immediately, no time for a third option.
But when neither side is shooting at each other? Why the rush for sacrifice? Find a way to distribute the code safely later on, or disseminate a copy of Legion's personality.

I suppose you could find other ways to save the other two (notify Mordin of the sabotage way ahead of time to work past the 'STG countermeasures' and distribute the cure remotely, and simply have risky interrupts to help Thane fight Kai Leng so Shepard doesn't just stand there like a lemon), but Legion's death was the most sloppily done, imo.

View user profile

18 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:14 am

saved for personal use. Still great conversation.

Last edited by 789TheN00B on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

19 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:37 pm

First if the crucible absolutely had to be in the game, then i'd only put its discovery at the middlepoint of the game instead of having it fall on our laps in the first few minutes of the game.
If not i'd just remove it and make the story about a "conventional victory"

Mostly and more importantly I'd add the following to the ending:

After the "ending" we got we'd get during the credits a transparent paragon and renegade symbol slowly moving towards each other becoming less transparent by the second, until both symbols meet and form a new symbol. If the player does nothing the credits keep going and it all ends, but if the player presses both of the paragon/renegade interrupt buttons at the same time shepard wakes up in the mako wreck along with Anderson, but now instead of running towards the beam shepards manages to get a motorcycle to help dodge the beams all the while the normandy is fighting harbinger with hit and run tactics distracting him from hitting shepard.
As soon shepard gets into the beam, he's teleported onto the citadel control center (the one in ME1)
Shepard gets in touch with bailey and the citadel security force to help the civillians while he deploys the crucible (after the real TIM confrotation) which turns out to be a module that makes the citadel act as a mobile weapons plattform that shepard can use to shoot the reapers with deadly efficiency.

after the battle, a long citadel DLC type epilogue.

boom, done.

View user profile

20 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:09 am

You know.  I do believe.... now I am just stating one of my observations here.  
It looks as if there is a possible connection between how people view the intelligence of the reapers and the type of ending they are looking for.
For instance I saw the reapers as being far too inefficient and unintelligent for a machine that has been around for so long.  Those traits lead me to agree with people thinking that there really no reason in game that the reapers are not beatable besides poor programing/writing and ultimately bad directing.
I, however, want the reapers to be as efficient and intelligent as something that has been around forever.  I greatly enjoy the story telling aspects of the idea.  My desire is reflected is my vision of the ending.

Anybody else come across this observation?  Am I crazy?  Am I making any sense?Any body like ice cream?....

View user profile

21 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Could be 789TheNOOB. But I have to ask, why would a super intelligent and efficient Reaper machine army ever lose? Like seriously. Indoctrination alone would be enough to dismantle the galaxy's fighting capability and all without ever firing a shot. The amount of sabotage and assassination they could have engaged in without discovery boggles the mind. Then it would just be a matter of warping in and mopping up a defenseless galaxy.

If it weren't for their imperative to preserve the various sapient species of the galaxy as fellow Reapers they could have manipulated everyone into a galactic wide war and then mopped up the survivors during the endgame.

And on and on and on. I don't speak for anyone else but I choose to have a crazy enemy who makes mistakes so that the bad guys have a realistic chance of losing, not so we need more space magic to pull off another Pyrrhic victory.

Also I love ice cream. Strawberry is my favorite.

View user profile

22 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:57 pm

Some interesting stuff here, that's for sure. I'm not certain I'd have anything interesting to add myself, but I might as well try.

If we are gonna imagine a 'fixed' version of ME 3, I believe we should start off with ME 2. And, in some cases, with ME 1 as well. There are some things that made me go 'huh? why?' during both the initial playthrough and later with a perspective of having played all three games. Some of these are:

XXX
ME 1
XXX

- There is no way for Normandy to be 'stealth' anything.

And no, it doesn't have anything to do with IRL notions of how space works, sci-fi hardness or anything like that. Biggest problem with Normandy approaching anywhere undetected is right there in the intro sequence and in-game Codex: the mass relay network itself.

Even if every activation of the things is not blatantly obvious to anyone in visual range and drift on exit can allow for a somewhat variable point of entry into the target star system, that's still a ridiculously small (considering the distances of space travel) bottleneck for any and all traffic coming and going between any given two relays to pass through. Which makes it pathetically easy to monitor and/or control said traffic. Which makes Normandy's stealth systems as they are shown in the games more or less completely useless against any power block Citadel and/or Turian and Human militaries might want to sneak up on, much less Reapers.

Yes, ME is a big love letter for lots of things sci-fi, so 'submarine drama in space' is right up the alley, as far as storytelling tropes go. I still don't think internal consistency should be sacrificed for that.

My first idea of an alternative for this - Normandy being capable of passing for a different ship, including a configurable outer shell and variable emission profile - while fun, still doesn't solve the problem of the ship's use of relay network being unconcealed. I guess it could still be used by either the Shadow Broker and/or any other faction trying to smuggle things through and such, but I think I have a better idea.

Let's say Normandy is a ship prototype capable of interstellar transit at a comparable speed without making use of the relay network. With this one change we can

a). provide a more believable explanation for the stealth capabilities that supposedly allows Normandy to do the things it does;

b). make this ship a priceless commodity TIM and others would kill to get their hands on;

c). show that this iteration of the cycle is slowly, but surely deviating from the technological path layed down by the reapers by the virtue of surviving their scheduled extinction event (contact with Rachni several centuries ago) in a good enough shape;

d). provide a clear motivation for Reapers to step up their increasingly less subtle attempts to gib everyone in the short period of time the games cover - they've decided that this civilization needs to be shut down posthaste while they still have the means to do so;

Sidenote: Shepard is not a captain of any vessel either. They are simply not qualified for the task. They may be promoted to be able to give orders to either the marine complement or the naval crew, but that's no reason to have Anderson step down as the captain. If the man irritated enough people up the chain of command, then fine, but that doesn't mean Shepard gets to be the captain.

Sidesidenote: how Anderson is a captain either? Wasn't he a specops groundpounder when he was evaluated as a spectre candidate?

Sidesidesidenote: there are precious few points where Shepard being a biotic or not changes anything besides their ability arsenal. And basically no changes for them being an engineer or infiltrator or anything besides soldier. Why did the dialogue tree got removed again?

- Nihilus dying as early as he did is a wasted opportunity.

First time through, him getting shot is unexpected, sets up Saren's antagonist credentials and all that jazz. Upon further consideration, however, I've come to believe that there is really not enough of SPECTRE in ME, considering how central the service and people working in it are supposed to be to the plot.

We get to pick the brains of Anderson and Garrus - both former potential candidates - for a bit, but that's about it. Nihilus, being a turian that got actually accepted into service, could, IMHO, provide a contrasting perspective to both of them on a number of points. But he is simply blam'med instead before he can do much of anything.

Gameplay-wise, if he were to appear as a playable character, I'd argue he'd be an infiltrator of some kind, possibly specced for close-range.

- Virmire mission forcing you to choose between your two human teammates is not done well, in my opinion.

That thing with one of the characters getting severely injured, hospitalised for some time, getting moved about / promoted to a different branch of service ME 3 does? Maybe it could be of use here? Get some more mileage out of them before sending the poor bugger to the chopping block?

There is also the issue of Ashley being a... quite less valuable member of the team. Gameplay-wise, her only boon is her hp bar, which, considering the very strict limit on teammates you can bring with yourself, usually makes her the last pick for any scenario. Story-wise, while we can now know it never happens in the games, she is built up as an intolerant jarhead liable to shoot first, ask questions never - i.e. exactly the wrong kind of person for Shepard to bring into all those delicate situations they find themselves in. So there is no reason for Shepard to choose to bail her out over Kaidan unless I, as a player, am interested in what she has to say later.

Which is wrong, methinks.

- Conversely, there is no way in hell either of the arguments Shepard can potentially persuade Wrex to remain in the team with should work.

Neither as an argument aimed at logic or emotion does that exchange make sense to me. I kind of really like Wrex, but that scene - the way it was done, at least - doesn't sit right with me.

There is also the big choice of Tuchanka in ME 3 to consider. If Wrex is there to knock stubborn skulls around and unite the clans under his rule, there is basically no choice at all. Supporting him is an obvious win-win option for everyone besides the Reapers with no observable downsides. So, story-wise, it might be more valuable to have him die on Virmire or otherwise not be in a position of guaranteed success.

XXX
ME 2
XXX

- Shepard dies! Normandy is no more! Except, you know, not.

Terrible execution, IMHO. Shepard getting noticeably less kick-ass (besides being able to use the Widow, maybe) despite undergoing a procedure that can even make them a biotic when they weren't one before feels like an extra kick in the crotch. Up until I've read one of the posts above, I didn't have even an inkling how this mess could be salvaged.

Sidenote: Krogan are total pussies now. Shame.

- The same goes for the Omega station itself.

Is there any reason these sections couldn't be moved to the Citadel? Just placing it in less well-to-do sectors? Well, there is certainly no reason for Aria to exist as a character as she appears in the games, at least.

ME 2 is supposed to be about getting a closer peek at Terminus systems, thus new 'hub' location, but it could be argued that Noveria's short talky-talky section did a better job at showing how it is on worlds outside Citadel's jurisdiction that than this game. What do we really see of Terminus worlds?

Well, there is Illium, but it actually tells more about Asari Republics'... flexible views on things than anything else. Getting a glimpse of the bedlam that is the Quarian fleet is fun, but that has nothing to do with Omega. A flying space prison running a racket with threats of releasing its inmates is kind of unique to the region, though.

- This private company operating primarily in the Termi- CERBERUS! And everybody and their grandma's dog already know that as well.

I don't believe ME is enough of a parody to be so tongue-in-cheek on this one. Feels like something out of Borderlands, really.

- What does Kasumi do in the game?

I have trouble finding an answer. Providing a different kind of DLC fanservice than Zaeed, I imagine, but, seriously, what else?

- Grunt is a waste of space.

In case you do not share this opinion, I'm not trying to diss anyone's tastes here. I am, however going to argue that bait-and-switching him into the team instead of giving Okeer himself to talk and fight with is a huge mistake on the dev team's part.

I mean, that's one character that could challenge views of and provide foil to both Mordin and Wrex (even if Wrex is already dead at this point in time, Shepard has already heard some of what he had to say and could ask Okeer's opinion on that). Imagine a scene with them getting into a three-way argument on the topic of genophage. It would probably devolve into a fight in a short order, but...

God-freaking-damnit. T_T

- Jack is even more of a waste of space than Grunt is.

There is no reason for Shepard not to shoot her dead in the scene where she is recruited, much less bring her aboard their ship (I wouldn't be surprised if TIM counted on that outcome). And, much more importantly, the most interesting thing about her character - her loyalty mission - adds more details to Miranda than Jack. -_-

I've heard one guy say that merging them into one character - i.e. to everything Miranda is add her being Subject Zero brought up in that facility, but without her consciously remembering it until you make her revisit the place - could be of value. Upon thinking some about it, I believe the idea has merit.

- Morinth tops both of the above.

At least as party member. As a depraved hipster vampire killer quest mark she works (somewhat) better.

XXX
ME 3
XXX

- The game's start.

Everything.

Specifically, the way it reinforces the notion of every currently existing measure being utterly ineffective against Reapers (despite Sovereign quite pointedly eating dirt raw the minute its Geth escort was obliterated) and how everybody needs to pile all their resources into this unknown thing that conveniently gets dumped into Shepard's lap less than half an hour into the game.

It is not simply a problem with how nobody has an in-universe reason to even consider building this Crucible device, no. With the way Reapers are shown to penetrate every defense there was at the time, the war should've been over within the day. No regrouping, no marshalling resources, no delaying action.

Sure, one could argue that the attack bypassed the actual armed forces without coming into contact with them. But that's the thing: with all those resource stockpiles, manufacturing capacity, research think-tanks, etc, etc either cut off or destroyed, all those fleets will have next to no ability to contribute to the Crucible project even in the case someone greenlit the effort. With logistics so utterly cut they'll suddenly be left with only whatever reserves they had on hand at the time.

The one fleet that has all its things on itself at all times - the Quarian one - is off to Rannoch and is utterly unavailable at the time.

- Cerberus can field fleet groups and break into secret bases on the Salarian's homeworld, apparently. And that logo is now its official symbol or something.

No. Just no. I'd rather fight STG elements loyal to more extremist Dalatrasses. And/or everybody else's spec ops teams.

There is nothing wrong with exterminating uncooperative Cerberus branches with extreme prejudice, but them suddenly jumping to a weight category of an interstellar nation's military seems like an asspull out of nowhere.

- Shepard is, apparently, inexperienced with zero-g movement.

While being an N7 operative, which may or may not have been taught how to shank batarians, much less take leisurely jogs in such conditions.

No comment. -_-

View user profile

23 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for this.  I despise noodle commenting, but unfortunately, it looks like the best way to fully respond to Yikari's comment.
Yikari wrote:There is no way for Normandy to be 'stealth' anything.

And no, it doesn't have anything to do with IRL notions of how space works, sci-fi hardness or anything like that. Biggest problem with Normandy approaching anywhere undetected is right there in the intro sequence and in-game Codex: the mass relay network itself.
Yes, ME is a big love letter for lots of things sci-fi, so 'submarine drama in space' is right up the alley, as far as storytelling tropes go. I still don't think internal consistency should be sacrificed for that.
If I'm remembering correctly, the Normandy's stealth system is only useful once it is in the clear zone of a star system.  Which means that the ship has to be going STL to use it.  So yeah, even more useless than you thought.
My first idea of an alternative for this - Normandy being capable of passing for a different ship, including a configurable outer shell and variable emission profile - while fun, still doesn't solve the problem of the ship's use of relay network being unconcealed. I guess it could still be used by either the Shadow Broker and/or any other faction trying to smuggle things through and such, but I think I have a better idea.
That is an aspect of submarines I have not seen explored in sci-fi; great idea.
Sidenote: Shepard is not a captain of any vessel either. They are simply not qualified for the task. They may be promoted to be able to give orders to either the marine complement or the naval crew, but that's no reason to have Anderson step down as the captain. If the man irritated enough people up the chain of command, then fine, but that doesn't mean Shepard gets to be the captain.

Sidesidenote: how Anderson is a captain either? Wasn't he a specops groundpounder when he was evaluated as a spectre candidate?
This is something that has bugged me since the first time I played ME1.  I can't think an in-universe reason for this, but it's probably just a simple case of story/gameplay segregation.
- Conversely, there is no way in hell either of the arguments Shepard can potentially persuade Wrex to remain in the team with should work.

Neither as an argument aimed at logic or emotion does that exchange make sense to me. I kind of really like Wrex, but that scene - the way it was done, at least - doesn't sit right with me.
THIS, this is the biggest limitation of the Paragon/Renegade system (and one I don't think they ever fixed).  It boils the game down to 'choose P/R- I Win'.
- Shepard dies! Normandy is no more! Except, you know, not.

Terrible execution, IMHO. Shepard getting noticeably less kick-ass (besides being able to use the Widow, maybe) despite undergoing a procedure that can even make them a biotic when they weren't one before feels like an extra kick in the crotch. Up until I've read one of the posts above, I didn't have even an inkling how this mess could be salvaged.
Pointless sensationalism; that's what the beginning got reduced down to with that sloppy execution (in my opinion).  It would have been better if the death and resurrection had any kind of effect (least of all, emotional) on the Shepard brick.

I, also, have to ask who's post you are referring to.
- What does Kasumi do in the game?

I have trouble finding an answer. Providing a different kind of DLC fanservice than Zaeed, I imagine, but, seriously, what else?

- Grunt is a waste of space.

In case you do not share this opinion, I'm not trying to diss anyone's tastes here. I am, however going to argue that bait-and-switching him into the team instead of giving Okeer himself to talk and fight with is a huge mistake on the dev team's part.

I mean, that's one character that could challenge views of and provide foil to both Mordin and Wrex (even if Wrex is already dead at this point in time, Shepard has already heard some of what he had to say and could ask Okeer's opinion on that). Imagine a scene with them getting into a three-way argument on the topic of genophage. It would probably devolve into a fight in a short order, but...

God-freaking-damnit. T_T

- Jack is even more of a waste of space than Grunt is.

There is no reason for Shepard not to shoot her dead in the scene where she is recruited, much less bring her aboard their ship (I wouldn't be surprised if TIM counted on that outcome). And, much more importantly, the most interesting thing about her character - her loyalty mission - adds more details to Miranda than Jack. -_-

I've heard one guy say that merging them into one character - i.e. to everything Miranda is add her being Subject Zero brought up in that facility, but without her consciously remembering it until you make her revisit the place - could be of value. Upon thinking some about it, I believe the idea has merit.

- Morinth tops both of the above.

At least as party member. As a depraved hipster vampire killer quest mark she works (somewhat) better.
Yes, yes, and yes to all of the above.  Why were any of them necessary to the game?  Actually, let's extend that; why were any of the characters (outside of Mordin) in this game if none of them played any plot-relevant role?

The person who had the idea of combining Miranda with Jack (and Zaeed with Jacob) was Smudboy from Youtube.
- Cerberus can field fleet groups and break into secret bases on the Salarian's homeworld, apparently. And that logo is now its official symbol or something.
Which is even sadder when you take the novels into account.  One of them (I don't know which one) takes place after ME2.  Anderson steps down as Councillor and helps the Turians with arresting SA personnel who leaked info to Cerberus, taking down a few cells of the organization, and freezing the assets of companies who sent money to TIM (Jack Harper).  So, they (somehow) come back from being nearly wiped out to casually flexing enough muscle to attack any of the governments in a matter of 6 months (at most).

View user profile

24 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm

SilverDragonRed wrote:
I, also, have to ask who's post you are referring to.

Yours, I believe.

I can't claim I've read everything there is on ME speculation, fanfiction, quests, etc, etc, but, out of things I've seen personally, your suggestion on how to tie Omega station into the story is the first that makes sense to me.

SilverDragonRed wrote:
The person who had the idea of combining Miranda with Jack (and Zaeed with Jacob) was Smudboy from Youtube.

Yes, indeed that was him. I couldn't recall the name when I was typing my previous post. Thank you.

I'm not sure what non-Mordin teammates are supposed to be doing, to be honest. Let's see...

XXX

Miranda is probably supposed to be a combination of the boss lady on-site, a medical specialist other than Chakwas and Mordin (going by that segment of intro cinematic ) and... that's pretty much it.

Her shown powerset as a biotic (small-scale crowd control) and armament (concealable and/or non-military grade small arms) appears to be geared towards something along the lines of a heist in Shadowrun instead of wholesale meatgrinder all Shepard's outings end up as.

She'd probably be the first pick for mission control and/or intelligence, acquisition and a whole bunch of other stuff not directly related to combat, but Shepard is, once again the captain, field commander of the ground team, the person TIM briefs and debriefs, etc, etc. And EDI can cover the rest of it. So...

XXX

Jacob shares the same problems, but worse, since he is supposed to be firmly in the 'bulletstopper' part of the team.

I'm less gung-ho (although I won't be able to tell you why off the top of my head; I should probably re-watch that video) on Smudboy's suggestion for him than the one for Jack, I can certainly see where it comes from.

XXX

Garrus is actually Batman someone personally familiar with the bureaucracy in the two biggest turian-run militaries in the known space, has experience with a variety less-than-standart combat scenarios (like husks) and is a person important to Shepard's mental wellbeing.

There are also his electronic and/or vehicle specialties, but with Mako gone and Tali occupying the other one they kind of fall by the wayside.

Combat-wise, Garrus is a marksman that can also perform solidly as a rifleman, although I still feel that's not supposed to work as well against a crowd of cyber zombies as the gameplay suggests it does.

Besides that, however his only contribution to the overall plot is being the second team's leader in that final mission. All the nifty hooks Garrus' backstory and peculiar social status affords remain not used whatsoever.

XXX

Tali, while an 'in' for the Quarian fleet storyline and an example of a person who was taught to hate with momma's milk, so to speak, doesn't really do anything as well, especially considering her 'should've been a non-combatant' place in the crew.

XXX

And so on and so forth for the rest of the team. Most of them are interesting characters, don't mistake me, but they don't really do anything for the story as a whole.

I guess one could argue that this is what character-centric narration is all about, but I personally don't believe that should necessarily dissolve the story in a string of very loosely connected vignettes.

View user profile

25 Re: Mass Effect 3, Your Edition on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:50 am

What exactly is TIM's motive by the way?  Does anyone know?  I can not remember it.  It seems to be as developed as the Reaper's motive....

Last edited by 789TheN00B on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum