» September 30: Underale
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:50 pm by Frieza2000

» Turn 3-1068
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kid friendly gaming

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Kid friendly gaming on Tue May 26, 2015 4:27 pm

So my kids are getting to that age where they enjoy gaming. Some good titles are little big planet, old sonic, old Mario games, Minecraft, Skylanders. Just looking for general suggestions and if any of you guys have gone through the game hunting process.

My taste is games is quite dark but I enjoy a lot of different games, I really want to buy a lot of colourful enjoyable games for them. Some of the Final fantasy's are good ones actually. I'm really hoping that there's a kid friendly strategy or world building game to introduce them to deeper more rewarding gameplay. I used to have so much fun with x-com when you could name and devel characters or even the sims/sim city/theme park when I first created something amazing. I'd like them to have these experiences before they grow old enough to be immersed in the triple A, online gaming that exists today.

All the best.

View user profile

2 Re: Kid friendly gaming on Tue May 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Get them a DS or a 3ds, tons of kid friendly games on those systems that you can enjoy yourself also.

But if you're specifically looking at home console games then the best that I can suggest would probably be the various Lego games. if you have a PS3 I'd suggest the Jak and Dexter Trilogy and the Ratchet and Clank Trilogy.

View user profile

3 Re: Kid friendly gaming on Tue May 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Try the Shantae games. There's two of them on Steam, and they're both excellent. A sequel is coming soon as well. They are really colorful, lighthearted and an ode to 16 bit classics like Metroid and Castlevania. The original Shantae came out on the Gameboy Color, and it's really expensive nowadays. But "Shantae: Risky's Revenge" and "Shantae and the Pirate's Curse" are excellent games as well. And they're both on Steam, like I said, as well as various Nintendo platforms. I bet that during the upcoming summer sale, you'll probably be able to get a really good deal on them, although they are worth every penny of the regular price, if you ask me. The games are made by Wayforward, a proven studio at this point, responsible for a lot of awesome 2D games.

Here's a trailer for the third game, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse:

And one for the upcoming Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. Keep an eye out for this one. I have the feeling that it's going to be the best one yet. This trailer also showcases some of the other great games the studio has worked on.

View user profile

4 Re: Kid friendly gaming on Tue May 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Shovel knight, mainly because of this video

Partway through the review, one of the reviewers talks about his kids experience with the game and how they had much more fun with it than other games despite the game having little child friendly design, so I guess most kids will love it.

I would also recommend the wonderful 101 on the wii u just because of its colourful presentation and concept... but It has a STEEP difficulty curve which makes it deceptively hard.

Also this video might be helpful for trying to find the best way to play games with your kids (even though I nor the creators of the video are parents and I've become more disinterested in some of their newer videos).

View user profile

5 Re: Kid friendly gaming on Tue May 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Awesome suggestions. Forgot to mention I've got a 3ds so professor Layton and Pokemon have been bought. Bit out of touch with the titles on there but I know there's a ton! Closing in on buying a pc now so will be able to use steam and I'll give the shantae series a look. I use old consoles too like the mega drive, ps1 and even the game boy for some old Pokemon. Heard tons about shovel knight and it really makes me happy to see many indie games in the game stores now. Gives me hope that games by people who love to make games is a possible future Smile

Haven't watched the video yet but the idea reminds me of a question I often ask myself. I've played a bit of kotor with my eldest watching and he's got a good mind for things but I notice that the grey choices are a bit out of his grasp right now. He can undestand once something is explained, like is is ok to steal bread if you are starving ... What do you guys think. There's a lot of mature subjects in kotor honestly and I'm actually playing it over a very long time, but I feel like it's a very universal true RPG where you can have great conversations about moral choices etc. I've never felt like playing the light side is for mature audiences only but I am proceeding cautiously incase Im not remembering right.

View user profile

6 Re: Kid friendly gaming on Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 am

If you want a PC game, I recommend Commander Keen. And if you have a DOSBox, you can get the shareware versions of many games o the 3D Realms website.
Also, Ventors mention "Jak and Daxter" and "Ratchet and Clank" but there's also the Sly collection which is a stealth platformer series. And maybe Rayman Origins if you want a fun challenge.
As for downloadable games, you can get many PS1 games in the PSN as well as some ports like Earthworm Jim, but if you want a more original game, Scarygirl is a fun platformer and for an RPG, Child of Light.

View user profile

7 Re: Kid friendly gaming on Wed May 27, 2015 10:07 am

I can't really say much here, I've been playing games with her since she was less than 1. I tend to be okay with games that don't cross the line for me, and don't have anything audibly that would disturb her (example: I'd never play a GTA with her purely because of their dialogue, but I've had no real issues playing more romanticized violence such as Assassin's Creed, World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, and the like). She loves sidescrolling platformers though so I lean that way, with things like Donkey Kong Country, the Marios, Megamans, Metroids, and the like.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum