» Turn 10-1068
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Tournament Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 New Tournament Ideas on Sun May 31, 2015 3:03 pm

So since K failed miserably... here's a thread for people to suggest new tournament ideas, whether I participate in them or not.

::Current Suggestions::
Pokemon
Zelda
Game of Thrones
Megaman
One Piece
Power Rangers
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Metal Gear
Mass Effect
Comics (Marvel?  DC?)

Last edited by The Lorerunner on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:18 pm; edited 6 times in total

2 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sun May 31, 2015 3:06 pm

A legend of zelda or pokemon tournament?

With the pokemon tournament everyone should have their current pokemons teams. Example Blue will be using the team he had in black and white.

View user profile

3 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sun May 31, 2015 3:08 pm

I forgot One piece

View user profile

4 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sun May 31, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm all for new tournament ideas, but the next one should be done after the SW or FF tournaments are finished.

Game of Thrones was mentioned on stream, and I would enjoy that. I know enough about it to make reasonable assumptions on it.

View user profile

5 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sun May 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Yeah game of thrones would be good. I'm still on ghe second book but feel like I can contribute to a fair amount of battles. Not as deep as Star Wars though, which is as good as it gets for fantasy match ups for me. Finding it difficult to think of original tourney ideas.

View user profile

6 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sun May 31, 2015 10:46 pm

Okay, here is my first tournament idea. As announced, I feel like Game of Thrones would be an excellent basis for discussion. I'm going to create a longer post here. Note that there will be minor spoilers up until about season 5 of the show, but really only very minor.

My Suggestion:
Why Game of Thrones?
The show has a lot of fighters of different styles, and there are quite a few circumstancial aspects to consider about the different characters. Some we have seen a lot, whereas some fighters' talents and abilities have been shown rather rarely, but have been referenced by other characters. This enables a lot of room for discussion. Not everything is clearly cut from the get go and different aspects have to be taken into consideration when it comes to evaluating a match-up. Not to mention that there is of course the TV canon and the book canon, so there is really a lot of material to draw from. I feel that this setting would allow for some really close match-ups, but not entirely. The way I see it, the line-up probably consists of two tiers of fighters, but I would still put them all in the same bracket.

What kind of tournament?
Even though there are a lot of suitable fighters for this tournament in the world of Game of Thrones, I would suggest focusing on the most prominent ones in a traditional double elimination round with 16 entries. Focusing on the most prominent characters has two advantages. First, more people will be able to vote, because they're all familiar with the different faces. And secondly, the fights will be more interesting and, I assume, more strongly debated. The best way to start off the tournament, in my opinion, is by random match-ups. The event would then procede in the regular fashion of the winner moving on to the next round and the loser moving to the losers bracket, or being eliminated if they lost while in the losers bracket. Each character would fight at least two battles this way, with the more succesful fighters having double that amount at the end.

What characters would participate?
This is the most important question to consider, no doubt. We will certainly have the opportunity to discuss the roster further down the line, should there be a high enough interest in this tournament. However, I will go ahead and choose the 16 characters that, in my opinion, would make for the most intersting event. In no particular order, I nominate:

Note that these are, again, the 16 characters I would prioritize. We could very well extent the tournament to 24 fighters, however. Oberyn's daughters, Ramsay Snow, Theon Greyjoy or Jeor Mormont are all viable options. And there are more.

Of course, to keep the work for The Lorerunner to a minimum, and since this is my suggestion, I would be willing to handle all of the organisational stuff. If you are interested in making this tournament happen, let us know (presumably in this thread). The torunament will only happen if we can get at least 13 people. I will keep an updated list of participants right here.

Interested Users: Maz, FlowerPowerShogun, ZGoten, ReddexForum

Last edited by ZGoten on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

7 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:18 am

Alright my suggestion for new tournaments is Power Ranger/Super Sentai because well I love power rangers, and I mean its a group of shows that are all about people fighting so we have some hard facts to go off of but we still have enough speculation between series to have some rather interesting conversations.

Arche asked on the stream so I figured I would clarify here as well. Super Sentai is the Japanese show on which Power Rangers is based as you see our American Mighty Morphing Power Rangers is actually the Japanese show Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger only with the scenes where they are not wearing there mask re-shot in America (which is why when you rewatch the show all the fight scenes look lower in quality than the non fighting scenes).

View user profile

8 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:35 am

I like the idea of a game of thrones tournament though putting a faceless man against any lone fighter is ridiculously one sided.

View user profile

9 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:13 pm

I thought about that too. I want Jaqen H'ghar to be in the tourney because he adds flavor to the combat, but I feel like most of his fights would be him killing unaware opponents to the point where there isn't even a battle.

View user profile

10 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:23 pm

That's good, we're already sort of debating match-ups. Now we just need 9 more people. Very Happy

View user profile

11 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:21 pm

ZGoten wrote:That's good, we're already sort of debating match-ups. Now we just need 9 more people. Very Happy
Also another thing. I'm assuming this would be focusing on the show, not on the books? I'm only asking mainly because the show, especially in the newest season, has been leaving out a lot of characters who are introduced. On top of that the strengths of some of these characters varies between the books and between the show. As an example in the show Tormund is the main wildling that Jon associates with and is portrayed as the strongest of the lot. In the books someone like Mance Rayder would have been stronger than Tormund. Also the Weeper, someone who I doubt will be introduced in the show, would be stronger than Tormund as well. In terms of someone of varying strength I think that in the show they portray Brienne as stronger than she was in the books, though she wasn't a slouch in the books either. Another example off your list would be Jorah Mormont who I always believed to be very strong but in the show he's sort of lackluster in comparison.

View user profile

12 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:38 pm

Like I implied in my suggestion, you can pretty much draw from both, depending on what you consider your own canon, similarly to how the other tournaments have been handled. I personally would focus on the show, as I haven't read the books.

But it looks like it doesn't matter anyway, since nobody else seems interested, so the tournament probably won't happen.

View user profile

13 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:05 am

I think the book/series comparisons would be interesting anyway. I tend to lean towards the books, but we'd all have our own take on things anyway. There's a huge difference between Robert baratheon in the series and prime Robert during the rebellion for example, which people unfamiliar with the books or lore just won't be aware of. I'm interested in this as I almost always learn something interesting from people no matter what they've experiecned so far.

View user profile

14 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:05 am

meh. removed

Last edited by 789TheN00B on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

15 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:09 am

how about mass effect squad members or metal gear solid bosses

**edit wonder who would win wrex or grunt Smile

View user profile

16 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:19 am

One piece might be a though to do as their are so many characters and fighters, some of them work better with others. And also from what I hear, some of them level up during the course of the story. Not saying it can't be done.
Another though one would fighting games because if you want to see who's better, you just play the game. of course we could do teams with each team being a different fighting game like Team Mortal Kombat or Team Street Fighter or Team Tekken or Team Beach Volleyball.

View user profile

17 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:40 pm

I like the idea of fighting games as a basis for a tournament. Actually, why not go with a Capcom All-Stars roster, including Street Fighter, Mega Man, Resident Evil, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, Dino Crisis, Devil May Cry, Darkstalkers and Final Fight? They have a lot of great and rich franchises.

View user profile

18 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:21 am

Street fighter and mortal kombat even.

View user profile

19 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:22 am

Oops .. Yeah like todpole said. I think these ideas will work better than previously discussed like game of thrones.

View user profile

20 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Seconded on Mass Effect, obvious question of whether or not to include the thing that doesn't exist...

And after several tournaments (possibly a running thing?) there could be a meta tournament having the winners and runners up from the other tournaments. Revan vs. Kefka anyone?

Or maybe Malak vs FFV Gilgamesh jocolor

View user profile

21 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:19 am

Marvel/DC has a life of its own, may be too large. Selfishly I'm more of a Marvel guy if it comes down to 1 or the other. But idk the % of comic fans on here.

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

22 Re: New Tournament Ideas on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:17 pm

I think we have enough suggestions to poll this up. Let's see where the interest is jah?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum