Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Spoiler Discussion)
Today at 2:04 am by Maz

» Turn 1-1070
Yesterday at 12:08 pm by Crensler

» Black Scale
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:46 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» PATREON CHANGES
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:34 pm by Braigwen

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY...
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 pm by WKC690

» Black Water
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 12-1069
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 pm by Onyx Aurelius

» Turn 11-1069
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 am by Onyx Aurelius

» MCU Discussion Links - Historical
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm by DollarD

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Video Game OSTs

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm

Not necessarily the best but perhaps, by far, the most underrated Castlevania OST has to be Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge.

Every song captures exactly how the level or sequence is supposed to feel. There isn't a bad song in the game.

Serving as the games only point of safety, the Stage Select tune, "Journey to Chaos", is peaceful and soothing.

"Road to the Enemy" plays during the section of every level right before the boss fight. It instills a sense of immanent dread. Immediately following is the boss fight theme, "Evil Gods". The dark reveal of the boss followed by a relentless attack is extremely apparent in the theme. I remember being terrified of the boss fights as a kid mainly due to the music.

"Original Sin" plays during the stage where you first enter Dracula's Castle. It's almost Dr. Wiley-esque from Megaman 2. I remember being super pumped every time I played the level.

View user profile

27 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:20 am

Persona 3: Battle for everyone's souls and burn my dread.
TES III Morrowind: Call of Magics.
Anything FF really: GBA Chaos Temple Theme and one winged angel(of course.)
Soul Calibur II: Hubris, Hubris(reprise) and Raise Thy Sword.

View user profile

28 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:25 am

For I'd put Jade Empire, the Shenmue series and Asura's Wrath as my favorites OSTs,
I love that mystical, relaxing as well of epic and intense and mysterious feel they exude.

View user profile

29 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Advent Rising
The Witcher
Baldur's Gate
Diablo (particularly Tristram theme)
Starcraft

View user profile

30 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Maz wrote:Not necessarily the best but perhaps, by far, the most underrated Castlevania OST has to be Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge.

Good choice, I liked this one enough to do a cover of one of the songs (to the MD/GEN soundchip);
toot toot goes my horn!

View user profile

31 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:36 pm

Even though not my favourite FF, this song always manages to give me goosebumps.

View user profile

32 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Aww, you shouldn't Visette is crazy about music:
Wink Wink:

View user profile

33 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:15 pm

I have always been a fan of the LSD Dream Emulator soundtrack (and let me say LSD is a perfect name for this game)

View user profile

34 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:13 pm

I'm looking into the Yakuza series at the moment, in fact I went to the effort of making a japanese psn account on my brothers PS4 during a visit just to play the demo for Yakuza zero (whith no English subtitles).

I've found that it has quite a few catchy soundtracks (Last one being a possible contender against "eye of the tiger" for best training music)

Good Music:

View user profile

35 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:52 am

Dark souls,
FF4/6/7
Ocarina of Time,

Silent Hill - Not Tomorrow
Oblivion - Watcher's Ease
Kotor - The Sith/Endar Spire
The Last of Us - The Path (Outro credits)
Mgs - Enclosure (sniper wolf)
Red dead redemption - Dead Man's Gun
Walking Dead - Alive Inside
Da: O - Camp music?

... Maybe posting individual songs is cheating and thread hijacking Wink

View user profile

36 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Nope, feel free to post individual songs in this thread as well Flower Power. As stated in the OP, it's totally okay. Very Happy

Some of my most favorite individual songs would have to be:

Mass Effect 2 - Suicide Mission
Mass Effect - Vigil
Persona 4 - Mist
Persona 4 - The Almighty
Persona 4 - I'll Face Myself
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Rage Awakened
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Dismiss
Clannad - Roaring Tides
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Cornered
Aquaria - The Light
Freelancer - The Artifact
Final Fantasy IV - Overworld
Radiant Historia - An Earnest Desire of Grey

View user profile

37 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:59 am

My all time favorite video game OST is probably that of Lost Eden's.

Of special note is "Magnificents" at 29:25, whenever I hear that track I just instantly visualize a tribe of warriors getting on their knees as the camera slowly pans up to reveal the figure of the ultimate warrior, the leader of their tribe.

And for something completely different, there is the Mafia OST. Contributes to the atmosphere immensely, I would often drive to a part of the map just to hear a certain track before getting on with the mission.

View user profile

38 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:59 am

NieR. Easy. So lush and beautiful. I very underrated game as well in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGmhtFgoAGA

View user profile

39 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:12 pm

some of my personal songs that i love are with links off the top of my head at least

MGS3
snake eater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHQnDTd1y4
way to fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9hagVL-__c
FF6
Terra`s theme, any version but my personal one for this piano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGJWi3Yago&index=1&list=LLBLK-Nuyt5RrkdAXc0Z7t3A

FF10
someone /  Suteki da ne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmnJQidr0Uk
journey
Apotheosis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNgvc6c6Cc

Dark Souls
I had a name

great grey wolf Sif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZVyHH-voR8&index=12&list=PLA69C1EEA3355844F
Pinwheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sur4qN_4Oi8&index=5&list=PLA69C1EEA3355844F

sorry for the short list but i think that the ff6 one will give yo my playlist so there are a few more songs there Smile

View user profile https://www.flickr.com/photos/129508484@N06/sets

40 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Oooh, that's a tough question, I can't keep all the awesome videogame music I've heard in my mind. Very Happy And something that wasn't mentioned in the thread above?

I believe no-one recommended Xenosaga everything yet? Well, not everything, I can't say I adore every single of the main trilogy tracks and I didn't play the DS version, but, reading off my winamp playlist:

XXX

First, all three final dungeons' songs. That's 'Xenosaga Episode 1 Inner Space Full', 'Xenosaga Episode II OST [In-Game] - Labyrinthos' and 'Xenosaga Episode III OST - Zarathustra Dangeon' on youtube last time I checked.

I specifically recommend the 3:17 version of 'Inner Space' for, IMHO, better feels. The second one is my least favourite out of the three, but it certainly sends enough shivers down my spine (especially the repeating section that starts around 1:12 and 2:50) to earn a full recommendation from me. And, yes, 'Dangeon'. Very Happy

All of them are (to my ear) excellent tracks that are a pleasure to listen to both in their respective in-game apperances and separetely via the media player of your choice. And that's a rather rare thing to be said about final dungeons' songs, at least as far as games I've personally played through go.

XXX

Episode one also features one of my favourite game over screen tunes ('Xenosaga Episode I OST #13 - Game Over'). First time I've heard it I've seriously considered losing again right on the spot just to hear more of it. I'm not sure if there is a better recommendation to be given to a track that plays after you die. XP

'Xenosaga Episode I OST #18 - U.M.N Mode' plays, if I remember right, as you are viewing the in-game database and doing other such videogame menu things. It is an appropriately chill track that can loop endlessly in background as you are focusing on doing something else, but, in my opinion, still has enough... personality, for the lack of a better word to not just be forgotten (ME1's 'Vigil' would be an excellent example of what I want to say here).

If I absolutely had to choose only one track to recommend out of these three games, 'Xenosaga Episode I OST #30 - Beach of Nothingness' would probably be it. Seeing as how I didn't hear it until I've encountered this song in the game, it is difficult for me to imagine how it would sound to someone who don't have any recollections of the corresponding scenes. I am however of firm opinion that this is a definite must-listen.

'Xenosaga Episode I OST #41 - Last Battle' is the song that plays during the final boss fight. From what I've heard of final bosses' tracks, that's a rather unusual approach to the subject. About the only nitpick I can find about it is the likelihood of the player turning off the sound during a fight because every single fight in the game (and quite a bit of cutscenes) before this uses exactly one combat theme. T_T

'Xenosaga Episode I OST #42 - Pain' and 'Xenosaga Episode I OST #44 - Spirit ~ Kokoro ~' are the two stupendously wonderful songs that play during the final cutscene and credits. If someone were to say that they've fallen in love with the singer's voice just from those, I would not be surprised. They've also served as a base of some of the other tracks that play in the first game, the death screen included. Instrumental versions should be available on youtube as well.

XXX

'Xenosaga Episode II OST - In the Beginning, There Was...' is the title screen music for the second game.

I remember reading somewhere over the internet that the words used in it and a number of other tracks in the second game were yoinked from several different languages or plain invented just to fit the melody and atmosphere. As a native russian speaker, I can tell you that the last repeating phrase sounds very much like 'sleepy/dreamy nights' (as in nights that are either easy to fall asleep during or nights full of dreams, depending on context).

The worldess cutscene that plays in the main menu as you listen to the above track depicts the last stages of a super mecha assembly; the overall effect of both the visuals and the audio combine into something beautiful, almost... eerie and somewhat unsettling. And kind of Homeworld-like. Very Happy I'd very much recommend finding it on youtube.

'Xenosaga II OST - Fatal Fight' is usually a constant feature of Xenosaga music recommendations. And not without reason. The fight scene it goes with is, IMHO, more comedic than 'AWESOME FIGHT FOR REALZ, GUYS, STOP LAUGHING', but that doesn't make the song any worse.

'Xenosaga II OST [In-Game] - Robot Academy' is short, upbeat and kind of silly. Smile

XXX

'Xenosaga Episode III OST - In a Limestone Cave' is, arguably, my favourite videogame area exploration theme ever. 'Old Forest - Xenosaga III Unreleased Tracks' and 'Abel's Ark - Xenosaga III Unreleased Tracks' are very strong contenders though.

'Xenosaga Episode III OST - Mother, I Miss You' says more with its name than I ever could. Just have a listen.

'Xenosaga III - unreleased tracks - Rolling Down the U.M.N #2' is, as far as I can tell, the version of the song that plays in the actual game and is the one I'd recommend. If there is a more chill soundtrack of hacking into a corporate database, I've haven't heard it yet. Very Happy

'Battle vs. Erde Kaiser Sigma - Xenosaga III Unreleased Tracks' is the track that plays during that one silly (don't confuse with 'easy') super optional boss fight.

'Xenosaga III Unreleased Tracks - minor boss battle' is, as it says on the tin, the tune for those boss fights that weren't forunate enough to get a theme of their own.

'Xenosaga III Unreleased Tracks - title screen' is the title screen music. Obvious, right? XP This one is done in the style of a musical box.

'Xenosaga III Unreleased Tracks - Voyager' is right after 'Beach of Nothingness' of these games' music in my book. The character it is named after and the corresponding plotlines got almost completely cut out of the actual games, but this music track and the character's english VA work make him one of my favourite villains just on that.

XXX

These are far from each and every track out of those OSTs you should listen to, but hopefully should be enough for anyone unfamiliar with the games to get an opinion of their own.

In general, I could sum up my impressions of the music featured in the main three Xenosaga games as follows:

- Ep. III has lots of bombastic, heavy and over the top orchestral tracks. Personally I find it kind of grating, especially during 'this is a meatwall boss fight that feels like it stretches out 10 minutes longer than it should' somebody saw fit to shoehorn into the the game.

- Ep. II features a lot of slow, 'stretchy', quiet, ambient-like tracks that don't jump out during the actual gameplay and add to the atmosphere. Problem is, if you are gonna line them up in a playlist and go down one by one, you'll probably have trouble discerning where one of them starts and the other begins. And just plain recalling any single of them on the next day.

Likely the reason the game's soundtrack is not usually recommended by people you talk over the internet with. Personally, it is not my cup of tea either, but that doesn't mean it's not excellent.

- The only problem with Ep. I's music is how much the generic battle theme is overused. That's it. Go gorge your ears on it now! Very Happy

EDIT:

Oh, and I should probably also mention FTL. That game has some seriously awesome music, but my favourite would be definitely 'Last Stand'.

View user profile

41 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Vanguard Ace soundtrack:

http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_ele=MTM2OTM=

That's some, IMHO, very nice tunes right there.

View user profile

42 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Off topic but I absolutely love a lot of songs from bleach. Different tracks that absolutely nail excitement, sorrow, and happiness at least for me.

View user profile

43 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Guys, I could literally spent hours here posting my favorite video game soundtracks. Then again, we all know that Final Fantasy has amazing music and that Nobuo Uematsu is basically a God. Instead, let me perhaps focus a bit on 10 lesser known or underappreciated but amazing soundtracks with a sample track each (some of it by Uematsu still, though, he's just the best).

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - Calling From A Distance
Chrono Cross - Dream of the Shore Near Another World
Guild Wars 2 - Fear Not This Night
ICO - You Were There
Lost Odyssey - Never Ending Journey
Nier - The Dark Colossus Destroys All
Rogue Galaxy - The King of Legend
The Last Story - Toberu Mono
The Witcher - Believe
Valdis Story: Abyssal City - Frozen Mausoleum

View user profile

44 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Well there are many, here's some favorites with samples:

DOOM always had great songs, both action rock or eerily quiet.

Final Fantasy 9 mainly because it was the FF I grow up with.

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Rush Adventure for being fun and fitting

Sonic Rush: Wrapped in Black. Greatest boss song ever.

Overboard(Shipwreckers) has a great mood.

Tiny Tank is amazing for being a robot apocalypse.

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom. brillaint.

Rayman Origins nothing to say

And Legends music level tracks

View user profile

45 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Some great choices.
Brings back memories Wink
It's usually individual tunes or songs that stand out for me rather than entire OST's.

My "goosebump" selection

ICO (of course)

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy VI

View user profile

46 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:10 am

Baldur's Gate 2
Morrowind
Mass Effect 2
Witcher
Left 4 dead 2
Pretty much all of the Final Fantasy games (I have only played to FFX-2)
Mega Man 2
Dragon Age Origins
Red Dead Redemption (Biased due to way too much love of Clint Eastwood Italian westerns)
Rome Total War

Individual songs that I can think of:

Divinitus : Rome Total War

Imperial Conflict: Rome Total War

Forever: Rome Total War:

View user profile

47 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:50 pm

TWEWY or The World Ends With You.

I don't think I saw it, still listen to it and I'm not the type of person to usually listen to video game soundtracks unless I'm playing the actual game.

I also really enjoy Ratchet and Clank 1's soundtrack, it just fit the R&C universe so perfectly.

Fun and original.

View user profile

48 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sun May 24, 2015 10:10 am

You know I'm normally not a fan of rap music... but somehow Madworld's ost has me hooked.

View user profile

49 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sun May 24, 2015 11:56 pm

I've enjoyed thousands of great songs from video games across my gaming career of 24 years. It was hard but these are my top twelve games that had songs I listened to more than other games, for each game that's from a series I'm only going to put down one game that's in that series out of fairness:

Final Fantasy 10
Donkey Kong Country 2
Sonic Adventure 2
Nier
Mega Man X1
Earthbound
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Parasite Eve 1
Kingdom Hearts 2
Persona 3 FES
Lost Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles

View user profile

50 Re: Best Video Game OSTs on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:50 am

Or this  

It's a tie between these two as to which one is my favorite.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum