Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:50 pm by Frieza2000

» Turn 3-1068
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Unfinished AAA Game Trend

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Unfinished AAA Game Trend on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:23 pm

I was watching a video about the recent trend of broken AAA games at launch

Which directed me to this interesting article...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/231661

This will come as a surprise to absolutely no one, but basically developers are getting screwed because stock holders are demanding marketing to make more money in quarterlies, who then demand developers to meet impossible goals.

I seen a lot of people claim that the developers are intentionally releasing broken game because they can just fix it with a "Day 1" patch. That's not really the attitude of the developers, but the attitude of upper management and marketing. These workers are forced in a situation where they have to perform miracles just so the game can be functional.

The whole process is a poison on gaming as a whole, and unless the mentality changes from the top down, it's not going to get any better.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Shareholders would rather have a really strong quarter, instead of a strong next two years because of their short-term thinking.

As a side note, in that article, I found it extremely disturbing that a exec from Activision would have passed on Uncharted 2 because "there wasn't enough profit in it." This is one of the reason's why I respect companies like Naughty Dog and CD Projekt Red. They don't release a game unless they feel it is good enough to be presented to the public.

View user profile

2 Re: The Unfinished AAA Game Trend on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:25 pm

I definitely agree with CD Projekt Red. Take your time to finish your damn game.

View user profile

3 Re: The Unfinished AAA Game Trend on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:23 am

i dont see how things would change, since the most popular reviews seems biased, publishers and devs don't seem to play their own game or don't care (i usually tend to blame the publishers, while a lot blame the dev) and users still pay 60$+ on preorders and even get deluxe editions dlc ect.

i mean i blame myself to because i also want some stuff when it comes out, but the only language some people understand is $$$ and as long that works out for them, things are even mopre likely to get worse. e.g. simcity with all its horrors ;__;

View user profile

4 Re: The Unfinished AAA Game Trend on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Yeah Ive stopped after pre-ordering about 3 games. It is negative imo. If people wait for reviews before spending then it might help things but quality gaming seems more of a niche nowadays.

Not to be offensive to fans of the games but call of duty, battlefield and sports games can bring out a game every year, glitches and all, and they've got an automatic following who don't seem to mind lack of innovation or rushed games. Generalising here, but that kind of automatic fan base (just like pre ordering is putting cash in automatically) is what makes me think that shrewd gamers and the companies that take their time to release a game are more niche now.

I'll get witcher 3 really early because I like that company. They've done what I appreciate in a company so far and seem to have a good outlook on game production. I like to think that voting with the wallet does count so I just encourage people to listen to some reviews on YouTube and not get drawn into the hype, if the most money went to well made games then it would change.

View user profile

5 Re: The Unfinished AAA Game Trend on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:19 am

Everything changes with time.  

Last edited by 789TheN00B on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

6 Re: The Unfinished AAA Game Trend on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:12 am

Well now you can at least get a refund if you bought a Game on Steam and in case of Batman Arkham Knight it seems to have a long needed impact and set a precedence for Publishers that people don´t want to have this crap anymore.

View user profile

7 Re: The Unfinished AAA Game Trend on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:55 am

As if there needed to be any more proof for an impending market crash. This whole situation about not caring for quality or short-changing the customer for short-term gains sounds exactly like what was going on with the comics industry back during their bubble. All I can say is that I hope the gaming bubble burst sooner rather than later; that way attitudes will change sooner and we can get this whole thing over with ASAP.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum