Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Spoiler Discussion)
Today at 2:04 am by Maz

» Turn 1-1070
Yesterday at 12:08 pm by Crensler

» Black Scale
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:46 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» PATREON CHANGES
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:34 pm by Braigwen

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY...
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 pm by WKC690

» Black Water
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 12-1069
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 pm by Onyx Aurelius

» Turn 11-1069
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 am by Onyx Aurelius

» MCU Discussion Links - Historical
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm by DollarD

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:42 pm

BitFenix Comrade Midi-Tower - Black

Link

1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 3.5" Sata III Hard Drive - HDD

Link

24x LiteOn Internal DVD-RW Drive

Link

AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 6-Core Processor - Retail

Link

8GB (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz CL9 DDR3

Link

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X Boost OC AMD Graphics Card 2GB Graphics Card

[url=http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/AMD+Radeon/Radeon+R9+270/Sapphire+Radeon+R9+270X+Dual- X+Boost+OC+AMD+Graphics+Card+2GB+Graphics+Card+?productId=57842]Link[/url]

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3 + Motherboard

Link

EVGA 500W 80 Plus Power Supply (100-W1-0500=KR)

Link

View user profile

2 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:20 pm

Are there any games you want to play with that immediately, or are you preparing for Fallout 4 slash other holiday releases? If it's the latter, wait - AMD's new graphics card is getting public benchmarks and possibly a physical release this week, so within the next month or two you'll be able to get more graphics power for your money as the prices adjust.

Also, while the specs are more or less acceptable for a mid-low end gaming PC, you can usually get a better deal by building one yourself.

View user profile

3 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:45 pm

I am building it myself, that's why I posted these parts to see if they could play Fallout 4 but I would prefer a high-end PC gaming desktop that I could use for a few years at least.

View user profile

4 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:26 am

Oh, right - totally forgot that BitFenix was a case maker. For some reason I thought it was an OEM. whoops.

What's your budget?

View user profile

5 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:05 am

It looks ok but it may be better to get an i5 will cost a bit more but you do get more bang for your buck(seriously) the graphics card is fine but as others said new stuff is coming out which might enable you to get something better for less money in the near future(however this is ALWAYS the case with graphics cards) and the 500w powersupply while fine is it enough power for that stuff? AMD stuff draws ALOT more power at least the last time i looked up this stuff which is about a year ago now.

View user profile

6 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:14 am

If you are building a machine primarily for gaming, put the majority of the budget on the graphics card.  Don't worry about a top of the line intel processor, or an SSD, etc.

View user profile

7 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:39 am

SnatchyCactus wrote:If you are building a machine primarily for gaming, put the majority of the budget on the graphics card.  Don't worry about a top of the line intel processor, or an SSD, etc.

while i get where your coming from a good cpu(does not have to be the best) will last ALOT longer then a good graphics card also it is much easier to change a graphics card for a better one then it is to change a CPU because then you have to worry about socket types etc which could lead to more upgrades then just a CPU down the road, also alot of semi recent games have had issues with people who had high end graphics card but not great cpus compared to people with great cpus with average graphics cards.(battlefield 4, and dragon age inquisition first 2 examples that come to mind)

View user profile

8 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:42 am

A high quality HDD is also more important than I normally hear people talk about regarding gaming machines.

At a glance the machine looks fine... about half the wattage I use but then I do a lot of video editing and have tons of stuff hooked up other than monitor, keyboard, mouse.

9 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:41 am

Hmmm. Alright, cool. I'm not really concerned about graphics, I'm more concerned about processsing power cause I do plan on using this desktop for more than gaming, video editing and the like. My immediate concern for this desktop is to play to Fallout 4. So, should I swap out any pieces for something more better? When it comes to the budget, I can put about 1,500 on this.

View user profile

10 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:22 am

Oh, good Lord - if you can sink 1500 into this thing, there's really no reason to restrict yourself to an AMD CPU or a single traditional hard drive.  Try again with an i5-4690K and tack on a good SSD (like the Samsung 850 EVO), at least as a boot drive.

Full disclosure, when you say 1500, do you mean for the tower alone, or do you also need a monitor, any peripherals, etc.?

View user profile

11 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:06 pm

I still have the monitor, keyboard, and mouse from my old desktop. And I don't know jack about PC specs or parts, the parts I listed were from a friend whom had offered to help me build a PC and this was the parts he was gonna use.

View user profile

12 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:42 pm

1500? Good lord I spent less than that for my current computer, which is pretty high end.

13 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:59 pm

1500 isn't what I currently have but it's something I can get by the end of the summer pretty easily between job, work around the community, and other stuff. And it's what I'm willing to spend.

View user profile

14 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:03 am

Also I just noticed that your original part links are to aria.co.uk. Are you in the UK, and if so, do you mean £1500 as opposed to $1500?

View user profile

15 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:25 am

No, I'm US. My friend gave me those links.

View user profile

16 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:52 am

Okay. Shopped around a bit, here's what I came up with. Keep in mind:

* I did only minimal research into specific components that I wasn't already familiar with.

* I made absolutely no effort whatsoever to look for sales, bundle deals, etc. If you shop around a bit when buying, buy in stages, etc. you can probably shave $50-100 off the total price for these parts without much effort.

* You should NOT buy anything right this second. I really can't stress that enough.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K - $240. Solid midrange CPU, lets you overclock if you want to. I've had the 4670K for two years, I've put it through its paces, and I've never felt the need to overclock or upgrade.

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 - $85. Bit smaller board than the traditional form factor, fewer expansion slots - but then you probably don't need the space of a full board. ASRock is a good midrange brand. Plenty of other viable options available in this space.

RAM: 2x8GB DDR3-1600 G-Skill Ripjaws - $105. Pretty self-explanatory. Speed and capacity should keep you satisfied for a long time, brand is a perennial Newegg favorite.

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 512GB - $198. Regardless of whether you need this much capacity in your boot/install drive, you really should have an SSD, and the 850 EVOs are the kings of the hill.

HDD: WD Green 4TB - $140. WD is a far sight more reliable than Seagate, and if it's not your boot drive, you don't have to care so much about how quick it is, hence the reduced speed. Again, might not need this much capacity.

PSU: Corsair RM650 - $110. Corsair's a solid, reliable CPU manufacturer. 80+ Gold cert means it wastes less power in the AC/DC conversion, and modular cables mean you don't have to clutter up your case with extra cables that don't go to anything. If you want a second graphics card down the road (or a dual-GPU card now), you'll need something beefier than 650W - but for any one card, 650W should be more than fine.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 - $100. You can go smaller and/or sleeker, but this one draws a great line between smaller form factor and enough space for components and airflow. Its bigger brother is one of the most popular mid-tower cases around.

DVD drive (assuming you actually need one): The one with the best reviews, because specifics don't really matter here - $20

Which brings you to $998, minus the graphics card.

Now, you have a LOT of flexibility here. Maybe you want a physically small(er) tower (as above), or maybe you want to have extra room for a potential second graphics card down the line (in which case you'd need a beefier PSU and a more expansive motherboard to go with it). Maybe you don't need nearly that much capacity in an SSD and HDD, so you can cut back there. Maybe you want an aftermarket CPU cooler. Maybe you want to tack on a new monitor or peripherals or what not. A LOT of flexibility.

So, given this as a base, what do you want to see in your machine?

View user profile

17 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:56 pm

I wanna be able to play Fallout 4 and Doom when they come out but I would really like a good deal of processing power for when I do video projects and what not.

View user profile

18 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Well, if you're doing video editing, you can spring for an i7-4790K. $100 premium over the 4690K, but rendering is one of the few use cases where i7s can actually make a difference over an i5.

Any preference on drive space, case size/style, noise levels, etc.?

View user profile

19 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:56 pm

Let's see, my laptop has about 923gb and I've barely used half of that in the last two years, how about 1000?

As for case size, I suppose from medium to large. not too wide though. Style, I'll just decorate it with stickers or something.

As minimun noise level as possible.

View user profile

20 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:10 pm

Okay, so we can definitely kill the high drive capacities. Do you store your videos on an external disk, or do you just not make/have that much? I put my OS + basic programs + documents + pictures + a few games on my SSD and everything else on my hard drives, and I pretty routinely use 350-400GB of space on the SSD.

Anyway, here are a few quiet-with-good-airflow case options for you to check out. Let me know if any in particular strike your fancy:

Antec P100/P183/P280
Antec Sonata Solo II
Corsair Obsidian 350D/450D/550D
Fractal Design Define R3/R4/R5/S/Mini
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E

Any thought on whether or not you might eventually want a second graphics card, or whether you'll be including any other expansion cards besides graphics?

View user profile

21 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 pm

I don't have that much for an external disk. I would prefer to just put everything on my hard drive and I typically remove things that take up space that I'm not playing like MMOs or old games.

What kinda expansion cards are there? And no, I don't want a second graphics card.

View user profile

22 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:56 pm

I just bought my pc. Without putting all the details. I5-4460 3.2G, Nvidia gtx 960, 8GB ram, windows ... 600 quid. Tired of searching, can't build myself and just went with the best motherboard I could find with these specs. Would rather 16Gb ram and the gtx 750ti if I could choose but I really don't know. As long as I can upgrade later ...

I compared the six core Amd 4.0ghz cpu but still decide to go with the i5. I like the lesser power consumption and don't plan to need the extra cores etc. From what I could tell there's many pros for either but I chose what I prefered. You'll probably find it through Google but cpu boss and GPu boss sites is where I compared. When I type in i5 vs Amd fx it's the first search result.

View user profile

23 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Other expansion cards might be wireless adapters, sound cards, video capture cards, TV tuners, that kind of thing. If you can't think of any functionality like that off the top of your head, you probably don't need it.

View user profile

24 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Probably not. If I need anything like that, I'll buy it at a later date.

View user profile

25 Re: Gaming Desktop Specs: Good Or Bad on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:32 am

So, Dios, is everything you linked a good enough build for Fallout 4 and Doom 3?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum