Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

» Bound by the Past
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite Card Game

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:15 pm

What card games, either real or a video-game, do like?

Despite that I don't enjoy Final Fantasy 8 that much, I do love Triple Triad. It's very simple to play and if you get the right rules, can be dominated with ease. Of course there rules that I'm not a huge fan of, like the random rule.

Another one I like is the card game in FF Fables Chocobo Tales. This one is kinda like YuGiOh, except every monster returns to the deck in every turn and there are no magic or traps, just monsters and effects. It's a straight forward game, where two cards try to hit the player or defend. Like in the picture, both of them are hit as they have enough gems but if the player had a fire attack, the enemy would've blocked him.

View user profile

2 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Gwent is pretty awesome. But my personal favorite is probably Yugioh, simplay because I've played it so much, and there are so many memories associated to it.

View user profile

3 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Been a fan of Magic The Gathering since it came out. Also played the Star Trek CCG for quite a while. Hearthstone is tons of fun. And I like Triple Triad too.

4 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Well, I was introduced to CCGs with Yugioh as a kid, so that's fun. Now, coming back to try and play it as an adult, it is the dumbest, most boring and convoluted card game ever, and I hate its existence. Also, pendulums are bullshit.

NOW, I'm playing loads of Hearthstone, and will play it more since that tavern brawl thing was implemented. Hearthstone is just very simple, well balanced, and easy to lose hours in. (despite what butthurt people will tell you, aggro no skill decks existing does not mean you can't win against them. They are effective, but are they "holy shit unbeatable ravagers bringing about the end of days"? Nope.)

Other than CCGs I really enjoy Spades, me and my friends play all the time. I also play Pazaak, and have beaten all pazaak players in both kotor games the maximum amount of times it will let you. Razz

View user profile

5 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Most people who dislike YuGiOh simply don't understand the competitive scene, or at all. Everytime there is a new game mechanic people get up in arms in leave without giving it a chance. People hated synchros now people love it and adds to the game in new ways. People hated Xys now people love it and adds a new play style. People thought pendulums were overpowered. Turns out they suck balls, unless you make a deck specifically to abuse the system, which is easy to counter (Zefra, Ignkights, and Qli come to mind).

I've played Magic the Gathering, Kaijudo, and its other ripoffs, and disliked it because of the pacing admittedly.

MTG is simply too slow. MTG is poker. You have to think a shit load of turns ahead with little payoff on the now, instead your focused on the later. YuGiOh on the other hand is more like blackjack. Its more tuned to reading your opponents moves and guessing what cards they have. Plus, it rewards the now, rather than later. You can summon multiple boss monsters on turn one and still get your ass whooped for over extending, but if you read your opponent correctly you can play through his defense.

View user profile

6 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Oh don't get me wrong the game is broken and luck sacking happens constantly, but most of the player base finds that extremely funny (except for the guy that got owned), and entertaining.

Like Arch said on stream. I have this card! Oh but i have this card! Ha I have this card to counter your other card! Now i attack for game! it doesn't just happen in the anime. It happens in real life (but more strategically).

Yah its cheesy, but its fun.

View user profile

7 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:44 am

Magic the Gathering is kind of the best TCG can get but i did enjoy hearthstone a little bit am semi looking forward to Elder Scrolls Legends hoping its like HS but with less randomness.

View user profile

8 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:36 am

I play MTG with my sisters eldest and Poo (yes Poo) with her youngest and both are super-fun. I'm currently enjoying Gwent at the mo and would love to see that game expanded upon and released as its own thing at some point.

View user profile

9 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:30 am

I won't go into details, but I made plenty of money from Magic: The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh! on a competitive level so there is a fun factor in terms of playing at a high level.

But hands down no question nothing beats MTG for me, especially during 4th edition/Ice Age and before. I remember buying so many cards from money I earned from my job as a Paperboy during that period and loving cards like Balance, Land Tax, Hypnotic Spector, etc. so a bit of nostalgia, but also it was a much more basic game then. (Thank you MTG Dos for keeping the feeling alive.)

Also enjoyed Marvel Over Power and the original Star Wars TCG but more so for indepth info like hero/villain stats in Marvel or names of ships. (Before the Internet times)

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

10 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

Sign me up as a MTG fan. I havent' been able to really partake in it for some years now, but the sheer gloruious dickery the control-type spells allow for in this game live on in my heart. Very Happy

View user profile

11 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:51 am

Pure pazaak.

View user profile

12 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:47 am

Contrary to what I tend to say, I'm not actually against Yugioh the card game, just the show (and yes I watched several episodes before you ask). But I tend to agree with Sterlingz's overall perspective on MTG, it's very much about planning and pacing and the like. It's one of the reasons rush decks almost never work in MTG (they can, depending on pure RNG of card draw), because there's just too many ways around a zerg rush, and most decks have ways around a dozen or so strategies.

13 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:43 am

Do you guys suggest any reasonably priced games? I want to play with my kids, I make top trumps for them quite a lot. Make up stats, make sure there's an overall point spread in each category to make the game balanced, then create rules for team 1v1 and army battles. I'm working on a skylanders one right now.

i like Gwent and have a feeling it'd be a lot harder in real life. Plenty of go to moves with the right deck, but there are ways to combat them. Apart from that poker I guess. Never really got into the scene.

View user profile

14 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:51 am

Skylanders is pretty good choice. Yugioh as a general rule is pretty cheap unless you want to play competitive (and even then its still cheaper than MTG). You can get some retardedly good structure decks for around 10 dollars each (The ones that have been released in the past five years have been the best in all the game). I do not recommend buying a starter deck or individual packs at start.

Last edited by TheSterlingZ on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

15 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:53 am

Any thoughts about the Heroes of Might and Magic: Duel of Chamipons? I think it's a lot more strategy based than most and I enjoy it quite a lot more than lets say yugioh or hearthstone. That being said I am terribad at deck making in those games. My banish deck from yugioh holds no sway in the meta which saddens me greatly.

View user profile

16 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:31 pm

The Lorerunner wrote:Contrary to what I tend to say, I'm not actually against Yugioh the card game, just the show (and yes I watched several episodes before you ask).  But I tend to agree with Sterlingz's overall perspective on MTG, it's very much about planning and pacing and the like.  It's one of the reasons rush decks almost never work in MTG (they can, depending on pure RNG of card draw), because there's just too many ways around a zerg rush, and most decks have ways around a dozen or so strategies.

I don't keep up with the Meta in MTG, but in Yugioh the meta decks can do both with effective ease. And that's one of the reasons why I love it. If your not careful you will get your shit pushed in,hard, first turn consistently against the established meta, and you will lose if you do not accumulate your board as soon as possible. On the other hand they can play the grind game. Whether away your resources until you can no longer withstand their onslaught.

View user profile

17 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:09 pm

The Lorerunner wrote:Contrary to what I tend to say, I'm not actually against Yugioh the card game, just the show (and yes I watched several episodes before you ask).  But I tend to agree with Sterlingz's overall perspective on MTG, it's very much about planning and pacing and the like.  It's one of the reasons rush decks almost never work in MTG (they can, depending on pure RNG of card draw), because there's just too many ways around a zerg rush, and most decks have ways around a dozen or so strategies.

there is alot of rush decks that do very well in MTG depending on the format you like to play, its more so the more older cards a format allows the less types of decks that become viable there simplely is to many old cards that just combo off and win after X amount of turns where as a good rush deck will take a few more turns to win strictly speaking of the competitive game, of course in casual rush decks are usaly seen as a douche move and get frowned on at least in my circle of friends.

View user profile

18 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:57 pm

I'm not by any means a huge card player but I have to agree with TheSterlingZ Yu-Gi-Oh for me has to be the best damn card game out there. Although I haven't played in years, most recently played on Dueling network. Magic The gatherning is pretty big in my town, theres a place that regualrly host tournaments a few blocks from my home but I've never gotten into it. With that said I'm gonna check hearthstone out.

View user profile

19 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:31 pm

I used to play The Lord of The Rings TCG competitively, and have played some of the best players in the world at the time. It's really the only thing I've ever been really good. (You can say you're really good at something when you know new, average, and bad players just won't beat you). Unfortunately the game died right when I started to hit my prime.

Magic always seemed dry and dull in comparison to me, so I never got into Magic. Admittedly, I've always resented Magic because it killed a lot of really good card games because competitive play just couldn't support itself like Magic.

The big downside to LOTR was that you needed a ton of tokens to play the game, so setting/cleaning up was a hassle.

View user profile

20 Re: Favorite Card Game on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:19 am

Thanks for the recommendation thesterlingz. to clarify, yeah Wouldnt be interested in playing professionally, just looking to mess around and probably build a little collection for the kids. I'll look into those specific deck types.

View user profile

21 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:03 am

Been looking at starter decks. Really reasonable price wise. Can I use 1 starter deck to play 2 player to start with? Are all decks usable with Eachother, anything I should avoid or shall I just go for it? Great recommendation by the way, exactly whst I'm looking for.

View user profile

22 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:44 pm

FlowerPowerShogun wrote:Been looking at starter decks. Really reasonable price wise. Can I use 1 starter deck to play 2 player to start with? Are all decks usable with Eachother, anything I should avoid or shall I just go for it? Great recommendation by the way, exactly whst I'm looking for.

Depends if yo got a starter deck or a structure deck (this is very important). A starter deck doesn't matter. Usually its a bunch of average cards strung together. A structure deck is a full deck (not a powerful one, but a deck nonetheless). If you divide the deck in half it will cut off a lot of plays that make the deck unique. Nonetheless, get two decks for two players. decks in Yu-Gi-Oh aren't meant to be split. (Plus, the minimum deck size is 40 cards)

View user profile

23 Re: Favorite Card Game on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:50 pm

http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/products/structure_deck.html

Here goes a link to all the structure decks. Every single one on the first page has competed in major tournaments (With edits of course), and have done fairly well. One per person should hold up pretty well. Usually to get it to full power people combine three structure decks in one (They only have one set of power cards per deck). But, i wouldn't worry about that for kids.

You should find them in walmart for 10 dollars. Though, I think cards shops sell them for a little higher.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum