Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

» Bound by the Past
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

==========

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 ========== on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:57 am

=

Last edited by Wethewax on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

2 Re: ========== on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Let me first say that the analysis is interesting to read and well constructed. I also like that you made me think from an angle I never considered. It would gel with why the Hobbits never talk about their origins.

However I don't think this is the case. The first reason is because of the diversity of the three types of halflings, the Stoors, Harfoots, and Fallowhides. Each is different in characteristics and attributes. So any change would have to account for these differences. The origin with three groups is more akin to the three groups of Eldar that made the trip to the blessed realm. I think their resistance comes from their outlook on life. Tolkien designed (it seems to me) the Shire (though not as an allegory) for the ideal pastoral, communal, Catholic life. Private ownership is maintained but not sacrosanct and the community works for the good of everyone. In many ways the relationship between Frodo and Sam is the ideal relationship, not just between master and servant, but between members of a community.

View user profile

3 Re: ========== on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 am

=

Last edited by Wethewax on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

4 Re: ========== on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:14 am

While you are correct that the diversity is not significant to outsiders, there does seem to be a distinction among Hobbits themselves, although they do not attribute this to any genetic distinction, and they can tell the difference based upon region. Thus Bucklanders are strange because of the Old Forest, etc. Tooks have an adventurous streak that is unlike other Hobbits. I think that Hobbits have a unique place in the creation of the world and this accounts for their unique qualities. But the idea of an orc overcoming their nature is an interesting topic, particularly because Tolkien struggled with orcs and the exact nature of evil. He did not believe that any creature was evil beyond redemption but he acknowledged that orcs showed no evidence of redemptive qualities. If Hobbits were orcs that change then it would help resolve the issue because it is only those orcs that did not change that are evil not all orcs by their very nature.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum