Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

» Bound by the Past
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Horror...

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:15 am

2 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:01 am

I can't decide what is more horrific the idea of a hyper realistic Mario game or the fact that oh most every comment was bashing nintendo for "Not putting this much effort into there own games".

View user profile

3 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:19 am

Two compartmentalized portions of our brains clashing into an existential crisis...

Because Mario.

DAMN THIS MORTAL COIL!

View user profile

4 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:22 am

IlyriaPrime wrote:I can't decide what is more horrific the idea of a hyper realistic Mario game or the fact that oh most every comment was bashing nintendo for "Not putting this much effort into there own games".

YouTube comments. What can you do?

Aside from, you know, justifiably disable the stupidity.

View user profile

5 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:53 am

Wow. That's impressive. They managed to recapture Mario perfectly (assuming they weren't able to rip the model/animations from Nintendo games).

As for Nintendo not putting much work into their Mario games... yeah, I can kind of see that. The scale and scope of the average Mario game is just... too small for this day and age. Can you imagine a 3D Mario game with sprawling levels like the Ratchet & Clank Future games? Or a giant, open-world playground? There's so much potential.

View user profile

6 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:21 am

Arsene Lupin wrote:The scale and scope of the average Mario game is just... too small for this day and age. Can you imagine a 3D Mario game with sprawling levels like the Ratchet & Clank Future games? Or a giant, open-world playground?

I have to say while I can agree that it would be awesome to imagine a super cool open world Mario game I think that in actual practice it would just feel... wrong. Especially with the current level design philosophy that is being employed by the creators of the new 3D Mario's (for those of you who don't know what the current 3D Mario level design philosophy is here is a video explaining it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmIkEvEBtA)

Also just to expand a little on why a Mario that is more open would feel wrong in my opinion. I feel like Mario has always been a game that is very self contained and that's what makes it so much fun. You always have a clear goal to work on which sometimes in open worlds your goal can get lost in all the fluff that surrounds you, and I feel like Mario in his Platforming incarnations really needs the guidance to keep it fun.

All this being said I am 100% down for a massive 300+ hour Mario RPG.

View user profile

7 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:39 am

Maybe. I'm just sick of the same small environments. Basically... imagine all of the levels in 3D World being connected in one seamless, open environment. Instead of using a menu to access different worlds/levels, there could be pipes scattered about you could use to "warp" to the start of a new world/level, or you could just walk.

What makes Mario games fun, IMHO, isn't so much the platforming as the traversal. It's fun to move Mario around in a world, so the bigger and better the world, the more fun it is.

View user profile

8 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:22 pm

Yeah that is pretty horrifying... could use some enemies or other characters but it was just a pain job over the default world in Mario 64 so I get it.

It's kinda funny hearing people say it would be cool to have an "open world" Mario game considering when Mario 64 first came out it was an open world 3d environment game. Just shows how times have changed and the expectations have evolved.

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

9 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:35 pm

Uh... Mario 64 wasn't an open world at all. It had a hub area instead of a map/menu screen, but the absence of level-select menu doesn't make a game open-world.

View user profile

10 Re: The Horror... on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:12 pm

You're really misunderstanding what I was trying to say and taking it too literal. I don't know your age, but back then when Mario 64 first hit the scene it revolutionized gaming as a whole being able to roam around in a large "3d" environment (and you might not consider it large but trust me it was large compared to what gamers were used to).

I still remember when I played San Francisco Rush thinking this place is massive when roaming off the track, too bad for the barriers - eventually Grand Theft Auto 3 rolled around 2001 and my thoughts became a reality. (Mario 64 was 96) N64 had a difficult engine for developers to program too.

My point was simply stating that times have changed more than I would have ever imagined on what people's expectations are.

11 Re: The Horror... on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:18 pm

I disagree that making a game with a large open world automatically makes a game better. The 3D Mario games have always been good because of its strong platforming gameplay. Making it in an open world seems pointless when the best parts of the game are platforming. The rest is just filler.

View user profile

12 Re: The Horror... on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:28 am

The horror is spawning...

Waahoo!

Charr!

You're too slow!

Heeeyya!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum