Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm by DollarD

» Turn 10-1069
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Wars Rebels

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:02 am

My own experience with Rebels is that Season 1 was painfully bad. The few bright spots of it (to me) are 'Empire Day' to 'Gathering Forces' and 'Call to Action' to 'Fire Across the Galaxy'. While I appreciated what was supposed to be a trilogy of episodes about Ezra, 'Path of the Jedi' was a hollow version of the Clone Wars episode about the Jedi younglings. Though, I do find it funny that Kanan gets more character development in an episode that is about Ezra.

View user profile

27 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 am

I enjoyed the hour long episode but I seriously hope they work on improving the animations.

Spoiler:
Vader vs Kanan and Ezra was some of the worst fight animation I've ever seen. After coming off that last duel with Inquisitor #1, I had high hopes for this confrontation. It was extremely disappointing seeing them stand around grinding their swords together for an interminable length of time with no storytelling whatsoever.

Is Vader strong? I don't know, they didn't show him being strong except at the end when he saved himself from being crushed by the At-ST. And no, picking on the padawan doesn't count.

Is he a good sword fighter? I would say no. He hacks at Kanan a few times but neither one of them do much of anything.

In fact, Kanan actually seems to have gotten worse at lightsaber combat. Is his lightsaber proficiency now based solely on the needs of the plot instead of a general level of competence? If so, they really need to work on their consistency.

View user profile

28 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:07 pm

I saw the fight as Vader greatly toying with Kanan and Ezra. He's one of the greatest Jedi of all time and he's facing these scrubs. Of course I need to rewatch the scene to see if I notice anything else.

View user profile

29 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:45 am

That would have been great Maz but other than throwing Ezra up against the wall and almost ending him with his own saber there wasn't anything particularly memorable about the confrontation other than the ending. That's now how you do good action storytelling.

View user profile

30 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:06 am

Finally I'm caught up with all of Clone Wars (including Legacy/movie) and today I caught up on Rebels.
My take:
The Art
I have mixed feelings on the art actually. I thought it was really well done and generally I wouldn't have anything to gripe about aside from the child Disney-like flavour to it, although I get that it’s geared towards kids. However, when you literally finish watching The Clone Wars and move on to Rebels, aside from the backgrounds, Stormtroopers, ships, ect., the characters themselves are such a step down from The Clone Wars; just look at the Wookies for example. They did such a poor job, the youngling wookie looked almost deformed. And Ezra looks like a mini Aladdin every time I see him. But I’m being optimistic, Clone Wars started pretty shaky too, but just compare Ahsoka from Season 1 to Ahsoka from season 5 and I rest my case on how much they improved with time. 

The Main Characters
I pretty much liked almost everyone in the cast; they defiantly bring to the table that vintage Star Wars humour at times, especially Zeb. The two that fall short on my list are Chopper who seems to be purely comedic relief most of the time when it's not needed and Ezra. It wasn’t only Ezra’s design, but it was his hit and miss personality that is straying off course for me. I liked him in the episode where he infiltrated the training academy, but then he has these moments where he won’t shut up like I dare anyone to re-watch the moment where Ahsoka feels Vader’s presence and all you hear in the background is Ezra blabbing on over the intercom, it really took away some of the impact for the moment with me.

Other than that, I wish they would’ve made Sabine at least 18 or older. When I read she was 16 it goes against her character having Imperial experience, calling Ezra “a kid” all the time and especially Lando hitting on her, when I expected him to be creating a rift between Kanan and Hera. Btw Kanan looks a bit like a Jedi hippy to me, but I like his character. I like the design of the Inquisitor, but hate that lightsaber of his.

Overall I would’ve rather followed Bail Organa and his adventures, but considering how well Ahsoka turned out I welcome this cast of misfits.

The Story & Misc.
For the most part I’ve enjoyed the series, seeing the Empire control everything and rebels being always on the run. It’s weird having other Jedi in this time period, but they’re the sell factor and make it easier to bring in cameos. Really love Grand Moff Tarken and found it really cool they named a town after him.

It only has been one season so there is still a lot of ground to cover. I expect season 2 to draw out more with a new Inquisitor, but at least they established Vader and the Emperor’s presence looming in the series so it should keep our interests in tact in never knowing when they’ll intervene and how much.

No matter how long this series goes whether it be 2-3 seasons or 5-6, I hope whenever they do end it, we see Vader reigning the victor and killing off key characters rather than the typical protagonist armour scenario, not only to show the world how deadly of a character he is, but it would be good build up for ‘A New Hope’ and not hinder Luke’s role in the Star Wars universe in anyway, which is always a risk when toying with prequels.

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

31 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Spoiler:
Thrawn is coming!!!!

No seriously though, he's actually coming for Season 3! Making Star Wars, the guys who have a huge track record at getting Star Wars leaks right had an article talking about it today. They knew about Sam Witwer returning to Rebels as the Emperor, Lando showing up, and they even knew about Fulcrum being Ahsoka and Tseebo weeks before those episodes even aired!

Plus Freddie Prince Jr., who plays Kanan, stated recently on a podcast that some fan favorite Legends major characters would be showing up on Rebels. Plus Dave Filoni is a fan of the Thrawn Trilogy so be very excited guys. With Thrawn we could get characters like Mara Jade showing up too!

THRAWN IS COMING!!!!

Last edited by Nerdman3000 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

32 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Can you link an article for that?

View user profile

33 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:57 pm

View user profile

34 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm of two minds about that. It'd be great if the rumor is true, but then again, it would be on Rebels.

View user profile

35 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:55 pm

So much awesome in the season 2 finale. A lot of subtle moments that I really liked, plus the obvious stuff.

EDIT

Found this excellent interview with Dave Filoni, the co-creator of Rebels. Major spoilers about the season finale.

Spoiler Shield:

View user profile

36 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:35 pm

that Season 2 Finale was epic the show has gotten so much better hopefully it is able to keep at it and doesn't go on for too long maybe 1 more season sometimes to much of a good thing is bad.

not really on topic but you guys think if Ahsoka stayed with the Jedi she would of been able to save Anakin from falling to the dark side? I sure do they were so close in the clone wars.

View user profile

37 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:49 pm

I'm not sure, but i think i'm liking it better than i did the movie. I'm not a fan of the Disneyverse, but i gotta admit this series is really coming into it's own. Watched the season 2 finale just now, and it was pretty haunting. I hope they can keep it up.

A few things, i hope they thicken those saber blades - they don't hold a candle to the movie versions, with how thin they look. I'm not a fan of making Vader's mask look more cartoony in shape. The animations... could use a bit more work. They're not bad, but a lot of them seem rather weightless - namely, the fight scenes. I don't think they've been using moCap, which is weird, considering this is Disney. I would really like to take a look at how they rig their models.

View user profile

38 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Sun May 08, 2016 9:01 am

Me and a friend of mine caught season 2 and it felt kinda slow coming off the season 1 finale. But I also said the same thing back in Clone Wars S2. Regardless when the finale came to light it really redeemed everything for me. I like the respect Dave Filoni gives to the Darth Vader character, I mean it's always a risk when tampering with the classics that made the franchise a juggernaut on TV. Visually I still feel it lacks compared to Clone Wars with the Disney feel, and the tooth pick lightsabers yet it's not bad to me.

As for what my predictions are...
Spoiler:
Literally my first thoughts I posted on a video after watching I'll paste here...

Call me crazy, but are they meshing in "The Force Unleashed" story into this series? Kanan with the blindfold looks exactly like Rahm Kota and Ezra with the Sith Holocron and his parents makes me think he's Galen Marek a.k.a. Starkiller; I could see Vader having a hand in his past/future.

I've heard people say KotOR will be meshed in as well, idk perhaps but I feel quite confident with my prediction with how things are shaping up, especially with that scene with Vader and Ezra, Vader willing to train him in the dark ways, who knows other than Darth Maul being the main antagonist now.

It would be cool though if they fast forward time a bit since I heard they're only doing 3-4 seasons as a lead up for the upcoming Rogue One movie. I always felt an older Ezra would do service for the character because he can get on the nerves sometimes as a kid.

Finally I jumped when the staple gun lightsaber was broke in two, really wasn't a fan.

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

39 Re: Star Wars Rebels on Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 am

I stopped watching the show when it became obvious that they were getting back to their usual routine of de-fanging the Empire.  There isn't really tension in any the episodes when they're constantly joking around in battles (or when Rex brings up a meme about stormtrooper accuracy).  Or when they did something stupid in the finale like the roflcopter Inquisitor blades; what were they thinking with that one.

The only episode I can say I enjoyed was the fuel depot episode where the Rebels act like thieves and terrorists.  Naturally, they get pissed at the people of the depot (who's livelihood they're ruining by stealing as much of the fuel as they can) who started to defend themselves from the obvious intruders, thieves, and murderous.

As for the Disneyverse as a whole, TFA showed us quite clearly that if it isn't a meme they don't care about it.  So (outside of Rogue One) I hope you like X-Wings and/or Tie Fighters cause that's all we're going to get from now on.  Of course added on to the problem that Disney has never heard of the word 'nuance'.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum